PDA

View Full Version : Is Good News for Marvell Bad News for TFC....?

ensco
01-21-2009, 04:16 PM
he's tipped to be in the USMNT Starting XI against Sweden on Saturday

I'm surprised Ives picked him over Carroll. Ives says in the text that Torrington could still get the nod at right back (that would be similar to how they use Edu, Thorrington plays MF in MLS and would be out of position there)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/who-should-the-usmnt-start-vs-sweden.html#more

The more Marvell gets showcased, the sooner we'll lose him....

Hope I'm wrong.

flatpicker
01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
well if it comes to that, maybe we will get some good money for him and then we can pay for grass *cough* *cough*

Beach_Red
01-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe it can help with the argument that the cap needs to be raised - Marvell Wynne is exactly the kind of player who will help MLS reach the next level.

Detroit_TFC
01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
This US MNT call up is almost all players without European commitments. Also, this camp has not gone well, there have been a number of injuries and a few withdrawls. It's an opportunity for Wynne but I don't think Bradley is ready to put him on the first squad permanently yet.

ensco
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
This US MNT call up is almost all players without European commitments. Also, this camp has not gone well, there have been a number of injuries and a few withdrawls. It's an opportunity for Wynne but I don't think Bradley is ready to put him on the first squad permanently yet.

Apparently the Swedes will be all second-stringers also. But Marvell got that big Argentina game last year, now he's getting more minutes over guys like Carroll....his stock is rising

Hitcho
01-21-2009, 08:24 PM
His defending is too weak still for him to be taken seriously in a decent European league. Not to say he won't be in future, but for now I'm fairly relaxed about holding onto him.

olegunnar
01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Apparently the Swedes will be all second-stringers also. But Marvell got that big Argentina game last year, now he's getting more minutes over guys like Carroll....his stock is rising

I don't think Marvell would have got the call up for the Copa America had it not been right after the Gold Cup. Most of the Gold Cup roster went back their clubs rather than to South America.

Also he seems to be a fixture on the "domestic" call up squad, and not very close the "real" international squad.

The US does a really good job of scheduling real friendlies in Europe for their real team, while also scheduling winable games against B sides to get their domestic players good experience. Recall that Edwards got a call up for one of those games.

I think he's on the USMNT radar....and if he continues to improve I think the next step for him is a real game in the US (ala Edu vs Mexico) but he's still a ways off before a non-Scandinavian league team comes after him.

Edit to clarify: I agree his stock is rising, but not as fast as some people are saying. The big test is if he gets a game that is 1) a full squad game with the Europe based players and 2) is against an A side at home or a A- side away from home

ginkster88
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
His defending is too weak still for him to be taken seriously in a decent European league. Not to say he won't be in future, but for now I'm fairly relaxed about holding onto him.

Yeah, but we all saw how the 'gers were taken with Edu as a "physical specimen." Have you seen Wynne track down a winger from 20+ feet away and take the ball off of him? That sort of play turns more heads than you would think.

ensco
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
olegunnar, that is 100% my view

the real point is that Wynne is beating out solid MLS defenders (ie Carroll, who was a fixture in DC and won a championship last year in Columbus), which is surprising to me

Hitcho
01-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, but we all saw how the 'gers were taken with Edu as a "physical specimen." Have you seen Wynne track down a winger from 20+ feet away and take the ball off of him? That sort of play turns more heads than you would think.

Wynne gets away with being out of position and using his speed to recover in MLS because the standard of attacker here is much lower. In the EPL Wynne would be destroyed, he'd never recover and even if he could the ball would be long gone before he caught his man back up again. To a lesser extent, that's true of a lot of European leagues - the play is more intelligent and the ball moves more quickly so speed of recovery is a much less useful asset - better to be in position to begin with.

scooter
01-22-2009, 12:21 AM
yes after his 2 amazing goals at the end of last season he is sure to be on someones radar but lets hope we can keep him for one more year and really enjoy his new found talent
his runs are to die for
when he moves on we should do well in transfer money too

trane
01-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Wynne gets away with being out of position and using his speed to recover in MLS because the standard of attacker here is much lower. In the EPL Wynne would be destroyed, he'd never recover and even if he could the ball would be long gone before he caught his man back up again. To a lesser extent, that's true of a lot of European leagues - the play is more intelligent and the ball moves more quickly so speed of recovery is a much less useful asset - better to be in position to begin with.

That is prety much what I wanted to say. Yes it is nice that he can track back 20 yards and still cover an attacker, it is a great asset, but if he was not out of position he would not have to do it as often as he does. He could be a lock down defender on the right side.

Mikey
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I would think we'll be missing him for the Colombus game along with Robbo and Guevara too.

Major WCQ weekend....

Detroit_TFC
01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I would think we'll be missing him for the Colombus game along with Robbo and Guevara too.

Major WCQ weekend....

Sat 3/28: US v El Salvador
Wed 4/1: US v Trinidad&Tobago

Good possibility of a call up but I imagine that a lot of MLS teams are going to bitch if many players are lost for the second week of the season (8 teams playing wk 2).

Fort York Redcoat
01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Sat 3/28: US v El Salvador
Wed 4/1: US v Trinidad&Tobago

Good possibility of a call up but I imagine that a lot of MLS teams are going to bitch if many players are lost for the second week of the season (8 teams playing wk 2).

FFS

The teams can whinge all they want it didn't amount to anything last year.

Yohan
01-22-2009, 02:55 PM
FFS

The teams can whinge all they want it didn't amount to anything last year.
yeah but when it's not just one canadian team, but a bunch of yank teams complaining...

TFC OZZ
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
What's good for Wynne is good for us.

ensco
01-22-2009, 05:34 PM
What's good for Wynne is good for us.

Silly me, I forgot that MLSE took the Edu sale proceeds and lowered the ticket prices 25% this year.

Beach_Red
01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Silly me, I forgot that MLSE took the Edu sale proceeds and lowered the ticket prices 25% this year.

Funny guy.

But it's true, anything good that could come out of MLS players getting picked up by European teams - exposure, taken more seriously, increase chances of players coming into the league - only works if the cap is increased.

Right nowthere are probably a lot of players who'd be okay with coming to MLS if they could be paid close towhat they make elsewhere.