PDA

View Full Version : Toronto LFC perhaps?

T_Mizz
05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Not sure if any of you have heard of this but it seems that a new women's league will be formed in north america and it will work more closely with MLS now this seems like an excellent oppurtunity to accerlerate the development of Women's soccer in Canada and I think not only should MLSE look into getting a team but I think the CSA (if it knows what's good for it) should be pushing TFC into making this a reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Professional_Soccer

Now I'm not the biggest fan of Women's pro sports (in fact I find it to be a bit of an oxymoron) but it would be interesting to see some Canadian and American soccer stars playing together and if they could bring in Marta you could be looking at the best women's soccer on the planet.

I hope some of you Red Patch Girls are on board because for women's pro sports (hehe) to ever be taken seriously women need to be able to support it.

If you have any sexist comments I ask you kindly to save them... and unleash them in a flurry of chuvanism that is all.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-23-2008, 10:58 PM
LOng live the lady LYnx!

T_Mizz
05-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Pfft yeah long live Toronto Lynx too right?

Red CB Toronto
05-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Could be interesting.

rocker
05-23-2008, 11:35 PM
I can't watch women's sports (unless the women are hot -- that's for you T_Mizz ;)

Cashcleaner
05-23-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm all for equality in the sporting world, but I think the WPS is going about things the wrong way. Womens soccer needs to take a page of the NBA and have their league and it's teams affiliated directly with MLS. The NBA, WNBA, and D-League all fall under the auspices of NBA Inc. and allow for much better resource management and organisation. You'll find most teams overseas and in the USL field women's squads in a similar manner.

Torcida
05-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I can't watch women's sports (unless the women are hot -- that's for you T_Mizz ;)
I watch women's tennis from time to time, the quality is not bad at all. Women's hockey is the worst, Women's soccer is bearable.

Keystone FC
05-24-2008, 04:32 AM
I tend to find the womens game much more technical and physical. Plus, the players don't dive like the guys do. I actually like watching the women's sides more than the guys when it comes to world cups and tournaments. Don't get me wrong I love the World Cup and Euro Cup when they come around but for some reason I know the women will actually PLAY the game on the pitch and not in the newspapers and mags. They leave everything on the field. It seems drama is a guy thing in soccer.
Only recently was there any drama in the women's side when US goalkeeper Solo criticized her coach for not keeping her in the goal against Brazil...and she was right.
Plus, the US and Canada are always in the top 5 in the world. You gotta love that.

king10
05-24-2008, 08:14 AM
i can't stand womens anything besides tennis.. espeacially soccer.. but a womens league with a team in toronto would work wonders for the womens national team

T_Mizz
05-24-2008, 08:25 AM
i can't stand womens anything besides tennis.. espeacially soccer.. but a womens league with a team in toronto would work wonders for the womens national team

Exactly what I'm saying this would really work wonders to develop the sport in Canada

Draracle
05-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Now THIS is a good use for BMO. Fill it with soccer games... like it was intended to be...

TFC Via Buffalo
05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I watch women's tennis from time to time, the quality is not bad at all. Women's hockey is the worst, Women's soccer is bearable.

Never watched women's hockey, but you are right on the other two.

But the hands down, absolute, bar none winner is women's basketball. When I played in college, we had to watch half the women's games before ours a lot. Holy shit. There is no bigger discrepancy between the quality of the men to women as basketball. Torture is the best way to put it.

ag futbol
05-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Plus, the US and Canada are always in the top 5 in the world. You gotta love that.
For us, we should enjoy that while it lasts because the rest of the world is finially picking up the game, and we're being left in the dust by our crappy association and coaches.

Which really makes me angry because we have done really well for quite some time.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I tend to find the womens game much more technical and physical. Plus, the players don't dive like the guys do. I actually like watching the women's sides more than the guys when it comes to world cups and tournaments. Don't get me wrong I love the World Cup and Euro Cup when they come around but for some reason I know the women will actually PLAY the game on the pitch and not in the newspapers and mags. They leave everything on the field. It seems drama is a guy thing in soccer.
Only recently was there any drama in the women's side when US goalkeeper Solo criticized her coach for not keeping her in the goal against Brazil...and she was right.

Excellent point about play vs. hype. Womens golf is similar in that nobody has the sort of brand name as Tiger Woods, yet play a great game regardless. While Tiger act like a spoiled child and freak out on a cameraman who lets his shutter click from twenty yards away during a swing, you'll never see that sort of thing happen in the LPGA. The same can easily apply to the WNBA, women's hockey, and others. Like it or not, women's sport is definitely more about the athleticism and less about the drama associated with it.

professor
05-24-2008, 12:55 PM
This is the pro league that is emerging = http://wusa.com/

The Lynx are W-league, a step below, enables NCAA elegibility

TFC's recent Academy hire, Neely, is a girls' coach, most of his background is from the female side of the game. Neely could run the girls side of the academy, and be an assistant to TLFC

fwiw
Take a peak at the Women's premier league table
http://www.thefa.com/Womens/PremierLeague/Table/

various stories and links to women's footy in the uk
http://www.thefa.com/Womens/PremierLeague/

devioustrevor
05-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Doesn't Greg Kerfoot already have a pro Women's team in Vancouver. I recall reading he pays all the WNT members on the team a living wage too in order to allow them to concentrate on being soccer players.

professor
05-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Doesn't Greg Kerfoot already have a pro Women's team in Vancouver. I recall reading he pays all the WNT members on the team a living wage too in order to allow them to concentrate on being soccer players.

W-League

as are the Ottawa Fury, London Gryphons, Laval Comets, Lady Lynx and the Hamilton Avalanche

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gpx::72011+Elements/Display+E+47116+List/+8630105

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-24-2008, 03:09 PM
please god NO ladies sports unless it's the wwe bra and panties match!!