PDA

View Full Version : TFC to introduce DeRosario on Thursday

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stryker
01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Toronto FC will introduce Canadian national team star Dwayne DeRosario as its new player on Thursday afternoon in Toronto, signaling the long-awaited return of the local standout and putting an end to speculation that DeRosario was hesitant to come home.
DeRosario has agreed to a new long-term contract that should keep the Scarborough native with Toronto FC for the rest of his career, sources told SBI on Monday. He will not take up the club's Designated Player slot but is expected to earn the highest possible non-DP salary, between $350,000 and $400,000 a year.
Acquired via trade from Houston last month, DeRosario joins a stacked TFC midfield that includes former MLS MVP Amado Guevara, Welsh international Carl Robinson and recent No. 2 overall draft pick Sam Cronin.
The DeRosario signing is one of a handful of moves Toronto is expected to make in the coming months. TFC is looking to add a striker and a central defender before the start of the season. Argentine striker Pablo Vitti has been reported as one of the team's targets.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/tfc-to-introduce-derosario-on-thursday.html

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Hopefully TFC will have an event like they have done in the past (i.e. Scallywags or something like that)

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
great news! I'd love it if they announced Vitti the same day.

Luanda
01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/tfc-to-introduce-derosario-on-thursday.html

So could something else be up as well? ie, a CB or Striker?

JDG
01-20-2009, 10:45 AM
So could something else be up as well? ie, a CB or Striker?

Mo said it woud be a South American Striker, and a Centre Back.

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
If they don't make a show of this then they really don't get it... There should be quite the tornado around this event. Can they do it? Can TFC really make this event punch?

Stryker
01-20-2009, 10:53 AM
De Rosario + grass for 2010 = greatest TFC announcement for all time.

jabbronies
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Is it just me or is it odd that they mention Cronin in the mid but not Ricketts?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Fucking eh!
PLEASE INTRODUCE THE OTHER TWO TOO!!!
I hope the turn out is monstrous, please go if you can (im out of the country so it aint gonna happen), let the boys bloody well know!!

Stryker
01-20-2009, 10:57 AM
This has to be a 4 year deal.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Is it just me or is it odd that they mention Cronin in the mid but not Ricketts?

HAHAHA
dont start reading into things, id put good money that Ricketts will be playing over Cronin, hes a Carver favorite and relatively proven (with more to prove), Cronin is an NCAA first round draft pick with no MLS experience

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Ives keeps doing that. Maybe he's just not a fan of Ricketts. Who cares, where our worst midfielder is suppoed to be Ricketts then I say we have a heck of a midfield :)

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not with us this coming year though.

billyfly
01-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Bout time.

supernothingman
01-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Finally.

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 11:03 AM
will this introduction be open to the little people like us I wonder?
Might be fun to attend.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he's not with us this coming year though.

I would, hes doing alot of charity work and radio work around here saying hes playing for the team, i think itd be a big surprise as it looks as if hes comfortable here and wants to stay. I dont think theres anything to the NJRB rumors outside of them wanting him and us not giving him up.

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 11:08 AM
I would, hes doing alot of charity work and radio work around here saying hes playing for the team, i think itd be a big surprise as it looks as if hes comfortable here and wants to stay. I dont think theres anything to the NJRB rumors outside of them wanting him and us not giving him up.

yeah I personally hope he stays. He's good for the team on and off the field. It's just funny though how all of a sudden our midfield looks so good that even Ricketts could see his way to the bench. I mean, he's now competing against Johann Smith, Cronin and possibly Ibbey since he played there last year. If either of these kids have a great year, Ricketts could see himself on the bench.

I'm assuming that Robbo, Dero and Guevara are already a lock for a starting role.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah for sure, but i think that Ricketts will have a start over Smith as Smith is still raw, Ibbie is a striker naturally and Cronin a DM (guess it depends on the formation but as of right now we can prob assume itll be a variation of 4-4-2). I do see what youre saying but I really dont think Ricketts is going anywhere and will be a lock on the wing unless Smith advances insanely in skill in a short period of time, or they change formation. I do think that the younger guys will get playing time but primarily as subs and in case of national call ups.

Carts
01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
It would be awesome if they did this on a Saturday at large bar and opened it to the public...

Make a party and some hooplah over an announcement as great as this for the club, and for Dero...

Let us welcome him properly - with some supporters, not just a line of media... No dice I guess... :(

Carts...

JonO
01-20-2009, 11:19 AM
One day earlier.... They couldn't have done it one day ealier... Bastards. Someone please tell mlsintoronto to check with my schedule before planning these events

Lucky Strike
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah for sure, but i think that Ricketts will have a start over Smith as Smith is still raw, Ibbie is a striker naturally and Cronin a DM (guess it depends on the formation but as of right now we can prob assume itll be a variation of 4-4-2). I do see what youre saying but I really dont think Ricketts is going anywhere and will be a lock on the wing unless Smith advances insanely in skill in a short period of time, or they change formation. I do think that the younger guys will get playing time but primarily as subs and in case of national call ups.

I figure most of the time, Smith will come on for Ricketts in the 70-75 minute range, unless he's having a killer of a game.

ACSertL
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Silly to ask if it is going to be televised? Or even streamed online?

rocker
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
FINALLY! I got blue balls waiting for this press conference!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I figure most of the time, Smith will come on for Ricketts in the 70-75 minute range, unless he's having a killer of a game.

prob a safe bet until Guevara leaves at the end of the year (presumably) and we then move DeRo into Guevaras slot then have two wingers (this is once again assuming that we use the 4-4-2 formation with Ricketts as the true winger and DeRo doing his thing) by then Smith and his techniques should be ready for a first team

TFC_Junky
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
great news! I'd love it if they announced Vitti the same day.

I'm with you on this one Parkdale! With all the rumors surrounding Vitti and the fact that he's "reportedly in Toronto" hopefully this is what will happen!!!

mlsintoronto
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
You'll want to be around the ACC around 4pm ish. Details soon.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
any live braoadcasting of this event??

redrocket08
01-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes it's live on the web....

Toronto FC will introduce new signing Dwayne De Rosario at a media conference on Thursday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. You can watch it live here on our website on Toronto FC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp) Don't miss De Ro speaking for the first time about his move to TFC from Houston Dynamo.

rocker
01-20-2009, 12:01 PM

Toronto FC will introduce new signing Dwayne De Rosario at a media conference on Thursday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. You can watch it live here on our website on Toronto FC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp) Don't miss De Ro speaking for the first time about his move to TFC from Houston Dynamo.

hey.. yer the guy who posted the link to the Vitti highlights... nice to see you again ;)

JonO
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Around 4:00pm EST on Thursday I will be arriving in Cape Town... need any scouting done while I'm there :D

ACSertL
01-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Cheers! I'll be watching from work :canada:

Nodoubtguy
01-20-2009, 12:14 PM
How do I get out of work early???

Oblio2
01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Where is it going to be, I'll watch!

Blizzard
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Where is it going to be, I'll watch!

January 20, 2009

Attention: News/Sports/Assignment/Photo Editors

WHAT: Introduction of Toronto FC Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario
WHO:Toronto FC midfielder Dwayne De Rosario
Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston
Toronto FC Head Coach John Carver
MLSE Executive VP and COO Tom Anselmi

Interview and photo opportunities available

WHERE:Rogers Media Centre
Air Canada Centre – Events Level
40 Bay Street
Toronto

WHEN:Thursday January 22, 2009
3:00 p.m. ET

Oblio2
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Im guessing we'd be barred...which is a shame. Imagine a group of us there, singing for him!
Paul.....can we all come?????

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Around 4:00pm EST on Thursday I will be arriving in Cape Town... need any scouting done while I'm there :D

I'll be at the ACC to meet De Ro mate, where you should be with me - sucker! :p

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 01:01 PM
will this introduction be open to the little people like us I wonder?
Might be fun to attend.

Little people?! I suggest to you, Flat Picker Man, that this may be a prime moment to unveil our proposal to MLS. I'm sure they'll give us some air time, especially if we get some glossy PowerPoint slides made up! :D:D:D

Oldtimer
01-20-2009, 01:04 PM
No addressee should store, forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient.

Better watch out Blizzard, MLSE lawyers may be headed your way!

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
How do I get out of work early???

Tell them you have Derorrrhea

rocker
01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Tell them you have Derorrrhea

oh that's bad.. but funny

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Better watch out Blizzard, MLSE lawyers may be headed your way!

Hah! I love the way he actually posted the warning as well, not just the info. Ballsy dude, ballsy! :cool:

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
So, I'm still not clear on this... is this for media only? Or can fans be in attendance?
It would be so much better if we could go! Makes for better tv sports highlights!

rocker
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
paul said to wait and there will be details on fan attendance.

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
^ oh ok.... I'll wait then....

anything yet???

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Im guessing we'd be barred...which is a shame.

you'd be surprised what you can sneak into.

I was at the grand unveiling of the name 'Toronto FC' and the crest. It was great!

Rudi
01-20-2009, 01:42 PM
you'd be surprised what you can sneak into.

I was at the grand unveiling of the name 'Toronto FC' and the crest. It was great!
So were dozens of other supporters.

I'd hardly say you 'snuck' into that one. Especially since Paul invited us to be there.

Oblio2
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Then I propose we all go, and sing our hearts out...the Media will crap their pants!

DOMIN8R
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Better beef up security, Paul.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
So were dozens of other supporters.

I'd hardly say you 'snuck' into that one. Especially since Paul invited us to be there.

I wasn't invited by anyone. I walked down, lied to security and got in.

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm there if I can get in, not working thursday. WOOT!

Oblio2
01-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I'll take the time off.....C'mon Paul...lets have a party!
Get some sponsored Carlesberg in, some pulled Pork sandwiches and let's get crazy!!!

S_D
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Not only will they be showing off Dero, Paul may be announcing he finally got his stapler back from Mo. :D

AL-MO
01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Hopefully I can make it down there on Thursday.

Wagner
01-20-2009, 01:55 PM
hopefully his number will be announced.

bgnewf
01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
If Paul Bierne or Michelle Lissell are reading this thread you both need to realize that having some vocal supporters group representation in this conference will give you as much positive publicity as perhaps the signing of DeRo himself will. it will look great on TV news and sportscasts to have some singing and chanting when he holds up the jersey and make the story even larger than it will actually be if you only allow the press in.

Contact the supporters groups and arrnge for some vocal supporters to be there to welcome DeRo the way he deserves to be welcomed

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 02:28 PM
and then perhaps we can sing this at the press conference?

;)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8636

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Why would they invite supporters to the press conference launching the new jersey - but not let them be part of the press conference introducing the most important signing to date.

Anyone see the press conference for Henry? that was awesome!
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42423000/jpg/_42423516_henry270.jpg

Obviously you couldn't get 20k for DeRo and you can't use BMO (bubble), but you could at least have 50+ supporters there in the ACC conference room

Azerban
01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
If we can get in, I'm there.

Keyman
01-20-2009, 02:35 PM
I dunno

Sounds kinda fruity to me...others seem to like it though, so I'll sing it.

Oblio2
01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
we can sing....
OH THE RED BULLS ARE SHITE!!!!

:)

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Why would they invite supporters to the press conference launching the new jersey - but not let them be part of the press conference introducing the most important signing to date.

Obviously you couldn't get 20k for DeRo and you can't use BMO (bubble), but you could at least have 50+ supporters there in the ACC conference room

Props to Paul & the team for everything they have done to date...

but...

if they dont have supporters there at these major signing intros...they're dropping the ball.

Nodoubtguy
01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm coming to work early tomorrow and Thursday so I can sneak out on Thursday afternoon.....

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
On the fans bit, I think we'll get over 100 people there easily for the De Ro signing. Anyone know how many the conference room there can hold? I'd be gutted, GUTTED, to miss out on this, especially since I work about a 4 minute walk fro the ACC.

Paul - come on dude, work some magic here and get us in! We've waited AAAAAAAAAAAAAGES for this...

rocker
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
If Paul Bierne or Michelle Lissell are reading this thread you both need to realize that having some vocal supporters group representation in this conference will give you as much positive publicity as perhaps the signing of DeRo himself will. it will look great on TV news and sportscasts to have some singing and chanting when he holds up the jersey and make the story even larger than it will actually be if you only allow the press in.

Contact the supporters groups and arrnge for some vocal supporters to be there to welcome DeRo the way he deserves to be welcomed

did you read mlsintoronto's message earlier in this thread?? let me cut and paste it in:

So 1) Paul beirne is reading the thread, and 2) he wants fans there. Details soon.
you don't have to spell it out for the guy like he's not considering this himself.

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
john molinaro - you're a press dude, how cool would it be to have a big glut of fans there for the unveiling to add some presence and atmospere?

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
did you read mlsintoronto's message earlier in this thread?? let me cut and paste it in:

If they are holding it in the press event room...you can be anywhere in Toronto & it would be the same thing.

Azerban
01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
DeRosario has agreed to a new long-term contract that should keep the Scarborough native with Toronto FC for the rest of his career, sources told SBI on Monday. He will not take up the club's Designated Player slot but is expected to earn the highest possible non-DP salary, between $350,000 and $400,000 a year.

Also, was this part known? He's locked up past 2010/for the rest of his career? No DP?

~wooters~

bgnewf
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM

So 1) Paul beirne is reading the thread, and 2) he wants fans there. Details soon.
you don't have to spell it out for the guy like he's not considering this himself.

Did not see it. Thanks for the heads up:)

Stryker
01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
and then perhaps we can sing this at the press conference?

;)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8636

While I'd give you top marks for effert your choice in tunes is alittle feminine IMHO. :)

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
If they are holding it in the press event room...you can be anywhere in Toronto & it would be the same thing.

what does this mean? we won't be able to get in? it's big enough to hold everyone in TO? Explain el moderalisimo!!

Azerban
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Why 4, if it happens at 3? Do they not want us there for the real one?

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 02:56 PM
^ i'd take a meet and greet for fans after the official press conference is over. that'd be sweet!

Nodoubtguy
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Why 4, if it happens at 3? Do they not want us there for the real one?

I'd guess theres the press announcement inside the acc media room, and then maybe some sort of meet and greet or maybe a little skills demo (like the big eruo clubs do) in for the fans.

Oblio2
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
We could do our own skills demo..drinking, singing and vomiting

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
what does this mean? we won't be able to get in? it's big enough to hold everyone in TO? Explain el moderalisimo!!

The press event room is for press...I doubt they will have a bunch of rowdy fans in it. LOL!

What they may do is bring him out afterwards, maybe into the lobby of Gate...which is the gate that is indoor near the ticket booth? 1? Anyways...the one that links to Union station, near Centresports. That's probably where they will allow the supporters to be.

But the press event, I highly doubt fans will be there. But I may be wrong.

reggie
01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
why not have it at richco,so we can be there.
wake up TFC....we the fans have made tfc what it is today....

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
My Guess would be (If fans won't be allowed into the press conference) that they will bring him out in front of Gate 1 (inside entrance between ACC and Union Station).

Quite a large space, so if that's what they do, hopefully lots of people will come out.

It'd be great if it is full of fans. If there's 15 people standing there it will look really stupid

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/uploads/photo/A54CB576CF664F19A8573402677088C8.jpg

Phil
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I will be there if its at 4ish... :D

Hitcho
if they bring him out at gone 4pm to the gate of the acc that links to union station, the place will be rammed with commuters trying to push through. that would suck!!

i want a better place than that. i want it dammit!!! :D:D

Frick
My Guess would be (If fans won't be allowed into the press conference) that they will bring him out in front of Gate 1 (inside entrance between ACC and Union Station).

Quite a large space, so if that's what they do, hopefully lots of people will come out.

It'd be great if it is full of fans. If there's 15 people standing there it will look really stupid

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/uploads/photo/A54CB576CF664F19A8573402677088C8.jpg

Why not have the press conference outside Gate 1 as well?

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Dunno...

But I will be outside Gate 1 (thanks CB) for sure.

We need to have a song. Period.

EastYork
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Knowing ML$E, they will bring Dero after the press conference to CentreSports and have him sign autographs while they push the new jersey with his new number on it.

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Knowing ML$E, they will bring Dero after the press conference to CentreSports and have him sign autographs while they push the new jersey with his new number on it.

Knowing me I'll be the idiot that buys one ;)

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
if they bring him out at gone 4pm to the gate of the acc that links to union station, the place will be rammed with commuters trying to push through. that would suck!!

i want a better place than that. i want it dammit!!! :D:D

Not many commuters in that atrium. They are all further north in the actual station. Gate 1 could be quite wide open

Why not have the press conference outside Gate 1 as well?

Because fine fellows like yourself and myself don't work for TFC!

Nothing wrong with an autograph signing session - but if that's all they do for the fans, then it gets the thumbs down

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM

I bet they don't. Will you eat your words if they don't?

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM

I want to see him eat his shoe! That'd be crazy!!!

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Not many commuters in that atrium. They are all further north in the actual station. Gate 1 could be quite wide open.

What commuters go through the ACC? :noidea: Like CB said...all the traffic is about 50 yards north.

Getting there and then getting out may be the issue. Not the gate itself.

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 03:29 PM
http://metropolitician.blogs.com/scribblings_of_the_metrop/_~iinet_iisite_outreach_KoreaWorldCup.jpg

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 03:39 PM
While I'd give you top marks for effert your choice in tunes is alittle feminine IMHO. :)

I give you low marks for spelling... :)

And what is so feminine about Kool & the Gang?!

:noidea:

If by feminine you mean, the song is hot and sexy like a fine lady... then I agree!

;)

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 03:41 PM
:lol:

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Good effort on the song Flat Picker Man, and kudos for actually getting something done and posting it instead of just pissing and moaning like a lot of people on here dude!

I think for the press conference/unveiling though, the song should be 3 Lions (adapted)

he's coming home
he's coming home
he's coming

DE RO'S COMING HOME!!!

Even if it doesn't stick as a song for game days, it'd be perfect for that one event, no?

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Getting there and then getting out may be the issue. Not the gate itself.

Is there a bar nearby?

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I can't access youtube - but my idea for a chant is the one they use for drogba at chelsea (please commence anti-chelsea comments and totally miss the point)

DeRosario Tra la la la la
DeRosario Tra la la la la la

repeat

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
^ Mike, is that Boney M's Brown Girl in the Ring tune?

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
^ Mike, is that Boney M's Brown Girl in the Ring tune?

Yep ....

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
If we could only get a couple of thousand guys down for this at the ACC, it would be really funny to start off a rousing chorus of

THIS IS OUR HOUSE

Hahaha, that would put a few noses out of joint!

Stryker
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I give you low marks for spelling... :)

Spelling? What next Flats, calling me a nazi?

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Is there a bar nearby?

There is a dingy bar in Union station.

And if you walk down west on Front street you come across Loose Moose and the other fun joints.

Go north on Bay and all you get is Bay Street stushy lounges. I know...'cause I regularly drink in them! LOL!

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
If we could only get a couple of thousand guys down for this at the ACC, it would be really funny to start off a rousing chorus of

THIS IS OUR HOUSE

Hahaha, that would put a few noses out of joint!

I love it! :D

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Spelling? What next Flats, calling me a nazi?

:eek:

I don't think I would call anybody that!

And by the way... Nazi should be spelled with a capital "N"

Stryker
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks alot there Tips.

AL-MO
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I can't access youtube - but my idea for a chant is the one they use for drogba at chelsea (please commence anti-chelsea comments and totally miss the point)

repeat

LsgfL_UizTU&feature=related

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
LsgfL_UizTU&feature=related

OMG THIS IS IT! THIS IS IT!

This is the one we need to do. Alex...you are the man.

Get the word out people! Flushie...where are you brother!

Jeff s
01-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Ya I like it ( mostly because porto sings it:p )

AL-MO
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM

CB was the one who originally suggested it. I just grabbed the youtube link :D

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8269

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 04:26 PM
If you can get 2,700 people to Columbus, it should be a breeze to get 1,000 for this. The club needs to let the supporters clubs know in advance what the plan is, and invite them appropriately. As has been said, this could be a PR boon for the club and also make a marquee signing feel like he's a part of something special, to know how important this is to his fans.

I would suggest Paul and his staff expeditiously liaise with supporters and create a pretty wild e-Blast to the non-nerd fans and invite them down. 16,000+ invite with an exclusive incentive to experience a special would be an excellent opportunity. I imagine they are smack in the middle of planning season, but flexibility in a marketing department is a good thing. Plus, 80% of the marketing/PR is done by the supporters anyway.

So. Learn from all of the past mistakes from MLSE new signings and don't make this exclusive for the press as they only took hold of TFC when the fans bullied them over a good period of time and the team was breaking records for futility. This could be a paradigm shift for TFC and it's fans who have been begging for this. Time for a brainstorm, but don't keep it in house TFC, your way to close to the action and don't have a broad view. Just some initial thoughts.

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
If you can get 2,700 people to Columbus, it should be a breeze to get 1,000 for this. The club needs to let the supporters clubs know in advance what the plan is, and invite them appropriately. As has been said, this could be a PR boon for the club and also make a marquee signing feel like he's a part of something special, to know how important this is to his fans.

I would suggest Paul and his staff expeditiously liaise with supporters and create a pretty wild e-Blast to the non-nerd fans and invite them down. 16,000+ invite with an exclusive incentive to experience a special would be an excellent opportunity. I imagine they are smack in the middle of planning season, but flexibility in a marketing department is a good thing. Plus, 80% of the marketing/PR is done by the supporters anyway.

So. Learn from all of the past mistakes from MLSE new signings and don't make this exclusive for the press as they only took hold of TFC when the fans bullied them over a good period of time and the team was breaking records for futility. This could be a paradigm shift for TFC and it's fans who have been begging for this. Time for a brainstorm, but don't keep it in house TFC, your way to close to the action and don't have a broad view. Just some initial thoughts.

Basically what everyone on here has been saying.

Not sure what sort of event they can put together in 2 days.

Yohan
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
A game is whole lot different than a signing though.

How many people would take a day off just to spend an hr seeing a new signing?

Joe Kool
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM

I like it too. Sounds good in that youtube clip.

Suds
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM

repeat

LOVE IT!!!!

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
A game is whole lot different than a signing though.

How many people would take a day off just to spend an hr seeing a new signing?

Not a day, an afternoon...and I would guess...a whackload. At least the ones in the downtown core may give it some serious thought.

I know I will be there. And I no longer work downtown!

Technorgasm
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
how much is he getting from the kitty?
and how much of THAT will effect our Cap?

and. . how long is his contract?

shit, Im all questons today

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM

I love that bhoy...

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Basically what everyone on here has been saying.

Not sure what sort of event they can put together in 2 days.

A good crew could pull it off! Two days of prep for an experienced team with skills... Possible for sure. It's a matter of how important it is to them to make a spectacle of the situation. For those who feel they need to take a day off, it has been suggested it's at 4:00PM. Generally it shouldn't take a whole day to make it to the ACC by 4:00PM... And it's cheaper than a road-trip.

I would love to see YouTube clips of a thousand TFC supporters singing DeRosario with all they have. You have been begging, now get singing!!

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
For once, I agree with PK.

Yohan
01-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Not a day, an afternoon...and I would guess...a whackload. At least the ones in the downtown core may give it some serious thought.

the difference between a fan and a supporter is... ;)

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Paul...when you have details, please put them up.

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Exactly, I worked on Front Street, right by the Globe and Mail building. It would be nothing for me to cut out of work for an hour or two...

AL-MO
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
the difference between a fan and a supporter is... ;)

Lets not start that....:rolleyes:

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I would suggest Paul and his staff expeditiously liaise with supporters and create a pretty wild e-Blast to the non-nerd fans and invite them down. 16,000+ invite with an exclusive incentive to experience a special would be an excellent opportunity.

Their email about the pub crawls went out to the entire mailing list (16,000 seats plus the waiting lists, plus anyone who signed up) and they still only got about 200 at the downtown pubcrawl. The vast majority of people at the pub crawls were SG affiliates anyway.

I think people overestimate how many 'non-nerd' fans are willing to go out of their way for the team.

Azerban
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Their email about the pub crawls went out to the entire mailing list (16,000 seats plus the waiting lists, plus anyone who signed up) and they still only got about 200 at the downtown pubcrawl. The vast majority of people at the pub crawls were SG affiliates anyway.

I think people overestimate how many 'non-nerd' fans are willing to go out of their way for the team.

pub crawls are dumb, this is the biggest signing of our short history

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Lets not start that....:rolleyes:

The wink meant he was kidding. Let's get back on track as this is quite productive. How else could we ensure a great crowd. How about someone write a quick e-mail for Jack to get out to the RPB masses. Anyone a copywriter??? We need a passionate plea!! Let them know this is the begging of a new era of Soccer in Canada. The great Canadian is coming home and you'll regret not being there!!

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
pub crawls are dumb, this is the biggest signing of our short history

the pub crawls were a chance to meet and greet players in an informal setting. IF anything, your average TFC ticket holder would prefer the informality of a pub crawl to the formality of a media event.

The 16,000 SSH number keeps coming up, but in reality, I've never seen a TFC 'event' of any kind (games excluded) with more than 300 people.

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
A good crew could pull it off! Two days of prep for an experienced team with skills... Possible for sure. It's a matter of how important it is to them to make a spectacle of the situation. For those who feel they need to take a day off, it has been suggested it's at 4:00PM. Generally it shouldn't take a whole day to make it to the ACC by 4:00PM... And it's cheaper than a road-trip.

I would love to see YouTube clips of a thousand TFC supporters singing DeRosario with all they have. You have been begging, now get singing!!

I can't see thousands turning up for something like this. Hundreds would be possible if they did it right.

I think an event at Gate 1 ACC with the podium set up (similar to the unveiling of the shirt sponsor with Edu down at First Canadian Place) would work really well. They already have the audio set up there - and all they'd have to do is set up a screen (for highlight reel vid) and put up a velvet rope to keep the groupies from swarming the poor guy.

Limited Edition Signed DeRo jersey's could be available for a select few - etc.

Follow it up with an informal meet and greet up the street at one of the bars (maybe even the beloved Jack Astors) and bob's your uncle.

You're right, they could pull it off.

I'm thinking that what will probably happen will be a press only press conference, followed by him coming out to meet the fans and sign some autograph's.

mlsintoronto
Tomorrow will be a big day for Toronto FC, and you can be a part of it. We’re introducing Dwayne De Rosario to the media at Air Canada Centre in the afternoon.

Following the press conference, we’ve arranged a special meet and greet for Reds supporters and you can get De Ro to sign your jersey.

What: Meet Dwayne De Rosario!
Where: CentreSports (Air Canada Centre, gate 1)
When: Thursday, January 20 from 4:00-5:00 p.m.

If you’re not able to get to the ACC, you can follow the press conference live on our website. Don't miss De Ro speaking for the first time about his move to Toronto from Houston Dynamo. Watch the broadcast on Toronto FC TV from 3:00 p.m. For the link to the live stream, click here.

Toronto FC

The Kingpin

Though I see your point, I think this particular scenario would be of greater impact. Also if also sent to the Voyageurs, et al the numbers could go up. PLus, right now having 200 people would be not bad considering the situation (planning time). But with some incentives beyond milling about scraping for autographs, you may triple the crowd.... What could it be? What incentive would really draw a ton of fans to make this an impact-laden experience?

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 04:59 PM
the pub crawls were a chance to meet and greet players in an informal setting. IF anything, your average TFC ticket holder would prefer the informality of a pub crawl to the formality of a media event.

The 16,000 SSH number keeps coming up, but in reality, I've never seen a TFC 'event' of any kind (games excluded) with more than 300 people.

There were more people at the Jersey Launch and press conference than were at the pub crawls and most of them paid to be there (pub crawl was free)

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Tomorrow will be a big day for Toronto FC, and you can be a part of it. We’re introducing Dwayne De Rosario to the media at Air Canada Centre in the afternoon.

Following the press conference, we’ve arranged a special meet and greet for Reds supporters and you can get De Ro to sign your jersey.

If you’re not able to get to the ACC, you can follow the press conference live on our website. Don't miss De Ro speaking for the first time about his move to Toronto from Houston Dynamo. Watch the broadcast on Toronto FC TV from 3:00 p.m. For the link to the live stream, click here.

Toronto FC

I will assume you mean Thursday January 22nd....

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Toronto FC

LOL :D Pure Hilarity!

I'll take a pass on this one

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
What incentive would really draw a ton of fans to make this an impact-laden experience?

people LOVE free stuff!

give them a free keychain and you'll get all types of people coming out.

hmmm... how to skip out on work.... ????

Pinkie
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
ok..autograph session it is?

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
There were more people at the Jersey Launch and press conference than were at the pub crawls and most of them paid to be there (pub crawl was free)

there were way more people at the downtown pub crawl, and I'd guess that at least 1/3 of the people at the Kit Party were comped.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 05:03 PM
LOL :D Pure Hilarity!

I'll take a pass on this one

:p

Hopefully there will be no jerseys with his name/number on it...then at least I will only have been partly wrong! LOL!

Damn you MLSE! *shakes fist* :lol:

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 05:03 PM
LOL :D

I like the TFC TV plug as well. But I wonder, not that I disagree, just wonder... Would they get more people showing up if they didn't show it live on-line. It would be worth a discussion. I would like them to do it so I can watch live.... But??

EastYork
01-20-2009, 05:05 PM

So now that Paul came out and confirmed what I thought was going to happen, will the doubters eat their words or maybe their shoes?:hump:

Azerban
01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
the word underwhelmed comes to mind

Rudi
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM
there were way more people at the downtown pub crawl, and I'd guess that at least 1/3 of the people at the Kit Party were comped.
Correct (on both points).

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I like the TFC TV plug as well. But I wonder, not that I disagree, just wonder... Would they get more people showing up if they didn't show it live on-line. It would be worth a discussion. I would like them to do it so I can watch live.... But??

I totally appreciate what they are doing with their TFC TV...but really, this is something they should make a network newscast event of some sort. Maybe not live...(or if possible, maybe live?) on CP24 etc. but at the very least...a little bit of inaccessibility on the internet probably would help the branding a little better.

But what do I know... :noidea:

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
So now that Paul came out and confirmed what I thought was going to happen, will the doubters eat their words or maybe their shoes?:hump:

I've already beaten you to the punch... (read above) although to be fair...they are pushing signing our own jerseys...meaning, I don't necessarily have to buy one (no word on DeRo jerseys...LOL!) the understanding being that I probably already have one anyways. But I suppose the opportunity is to get those that haven't already bought one to do so at the event.

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
C'mon Paul. Some originality would have been awesome. I think a quality brainstorm would have been warranted on this one. I'm not trying to be overly pedantic, but this screams of a five minute water-cooler discussion. I am beginning to wonder if the promotions staff have the bottle to do anything beyond the norm. Where the true "Experience"??

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 05:08 PM

I would have preferred more hoopla instead of hoopbla

TFC TV is a great way to get this presser out to all the people - not sure if not having online access would really drive someone to take time off work to head down. I think it's great that they are showing it.

Year 1
Fans invited to unveiling of team logo and name
Fans invited to press conference for signing of Robbo at the Beir Markt
Fans invited to JB Press conference at Scallywags
Fans invited to Mo press conference at Scallywags
Fans invited to pub to meet and greet at The Bottom Line with new signings in attendance

Year 3
Autograph signing in team store

EastYork
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I've already beaten you to the punch... (read above) although to be fair...they are pushing signing our own jerseys...meaning, I don't necessarily have to buy one (the understanding being that I probably already have one anyways). But I suppose the opportunity is to get those that haven't already bought one to do so at the event.
So are you eating my shoe or yours?

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
So are you eating my shoe or yours?

I am currently putting hot sauce on a nice pair of Kenneth Coles. They're a little salty from the outside weather.

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 05:11 PM

I believed you (even though I didn't want to)
I just wanted to see someone eat a shoe

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Some of us are a little idealistic and naive at times. :dupe:

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I would have preferred more hoopla instead of hoopbla

TFC TV is a great way to get this presser out to all the people - not sure if not having online access would really drive someone to take time off work to head down. I think it's great that they are showing it.

Year 1
Fans invited to unveiling of team logo and name
Fans invited to press conference for signing of Robbo at the Beir Markt
Fans invited to JB Press conference at Scallywags
Fans invited to Mo press conference at Scallywags
Fans invited to pub to meet and greet at The Bottom Line with new signings in attendance

Year 3
Autograph signing in team store

Like I said. True malaise. As long as the monkey's spend they will not put in the effort. The PR Director has bottled this completely, this is child's play. Simple. Paul seems so passionate about the club, I just wonder what happens when things like this transpire, who is truly running this ship? Could there be a mandate to not spend anything on events because they are so confident that they will not lose the fans a la the Leafs??? The question emerges again... Man. I really thought they got it.

The Kingpin
01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Some of us are a little idealistic and naive at times. :dupe:

Some also have expectations based on the past... But I do see your point. This is the new way... How can we push merch to the dancing monkey's. Fair game, the rosy glasses are off and we are now following a "proper club".

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Like I said. True malaise. As long as the monkey's spend they will not put in the effort. The PR Director has bottled this completely, this is child's play. Simple. Paul seems so passionate about the club, I just wonder what happens when things like this transpire, who is truly running this ship? Could there be a mandate to not spend anything on events because they are so confident that they will not lose the fans a la the Leafs??? The question emerges again... Man. I really thought they got it.

I've always been under the impression that creating passion and ownership for the supporters will be better for the club (financially) in the long run, than simply coming out with a lot of products and banking on fan loyalty.

You take a couple of extra steps to make this into a real "event" and give people a real experience - you will have them lining up at CentreSports.

I don't see how this excites the fans at all.

Dissapointed

icecoldbeer
01-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Like this....

http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/photos/2008/12/16/20081215-142108-pic-466105358.jpg

...?

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't see how this excites the fans at all.

Dissapointed

disappointed before the event even happens?
If you're going to set it up to be a failure, it probably will be.

Just like a lot of things, TFC doesn't put out the full story beforehand.
Look at the Kit Party, or the downtown pubcrawl - they didn't advertise
all the players that would be there, and both events went way beyond
what we initially expected them to be.

Maybe I'm optimistic, but I can't call something a failure until all the chips are down.

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2009, 05:33 PM
disappointed before the event even happens?
If you're going to set it up to be a failure, it probably will be.

Just like a lot of things, TFC doesn't put out the full story beforehand.
Look at the Kit Party, or the downtown pubcrawl - they didn't advertise
all the players that would be there, and both events went way beyond
what we initially expected them to be.

Maybe I'm optimistic, but I can't call something a failure until all the chips are down.

Well - at least TFC can always bank on some people to show up to whatever they put together.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
How did I go from excited to downtrodden in 20 minutes?

Where's that bottle of Scotch? :drinking:

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
mmmm.... Scotch!

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down. Down into my belly.

http://msp40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/lurvlybasketcase/icons/Movies%20Tv/scotch.gif

kelzag
01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I think the issue is that we (as supporters) are so excited to have DeRo playing for us that we wanted/ hoped for an equal show of excitement from the club. An hour long autograph signing at CentreSports is very ho-hum. I was going to come into the city from Guelph, but won't now.

AL-MO
01-20-2009, 07:25 PM

Agreed. I am not interested in attending an autograph session.

Bobo
01-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm running there after work but I IMPLORE those going NOT to buy a De Ro shirt that day. Go there, treat our boy to a warm welcome. There will be plenty of time to have a shirt autographed.

ML$E true to form.

egoodwin
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
do you have to get DeRo to sign a jersey? or can he sign something else such as a supporter group flag

flatpicker
01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
^ I can't see how they would limit autographs to new jerseys.
I'm sure flags would be fine.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
http://rvforsaleguide.com/trip/kids/cry-baby-face-ben-picture.jpg

awwwww.... TFC didn't hand deliver invites to you? waahhhhhhhhhh

If you're going to go support our newest signing, my hat's off to you.
If you're going to be upset because TFC didn't market a better event,
then you're just out of luck. We paid for tickets to the games.
past that..... your experience is what you make of it.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
oh by the way....

DeRo is coming Home!!

what more do you need? Goodie bags and party hats?
I don't give a shit about that. Welcoming DeRo home is the whole point.
EVERYTHING else is just window dressing.
Who gives a shit how they marketed the event? That's not the important part.

people cried for weeks because there was no official announcement, and here it is!

*and If I can bail out of work early, I'll be there with bells on.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 08:17 PM
And I will watch it on TFC TV...

Shakes McQueen
01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks being able to head down to the ACC, and probably strike up a conversation with the best player on our team, is sort of cool?

I suppose they could have done more, but I don't really care about all of the pageantry.

- Scott

Nodoubtguy
01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
No work + meet DeRo + support our team = whats bad about it??

kelzag
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I'll be watching to see if I can spot Parkdale wearing bells!!

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 08:30 PM
^ Now THAT would make it an event.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
now where to find some bells.....

As much as we like to take issue with the way MLSE/FO run things,
this event is not really about them - It's about DeRo.

If they hand him a microphone, and he says a few words about being being happy to be home then that's all I need from the thing. Sure we could have had a parade down Yonge street, but let's save that for our first Cup.

fawk... no I NEED to get off work.

Phil
01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
It is good news to see the press confrence annouced and we can officially welcome DeRo to TFC!

I am looking forward to seeing him play. :D

rocker
01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Am I the only one who thinks being able to head down to the ACC, and probably strike up a conversation with the best player on our team, is sort of cool?
- Scott

i agree with you. actually i'm just happy with a video press conference :)
i've actually never gone to an unveiling press conference for a sporting team (which is highly unusual in north america).

RedRum
01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
What the fuck would have been so hard about holding the press conference somewhere that supporters could attend as well?

Just shut up and come spend money on a jersey FFS. Sad, and yet not surprising from the company that blocks water fountains with beer stands in 30+ heat.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
What the fuck would have been so hard about holding the press conference somewhere that supporters could attend as well?

like where?

honestly..... they don't have to pay a rental fee to do the event at the ACC.
where the hell else would they do it? Outdoors at Young/Dundas? Outside BMO in the snow?

seriously, where would you suggest?

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Not to continue the MLSE bashing...cause I think it's gone on long enough...but there are places. It's not hard to be original.

Right off the top of my head for example. The concourse at First Canadian Place holds many events over the course of the year, including celebrity (minor ones of course) appearances and charity events. It's the home branch of BMO (the team sponsor) and near TWO subway stations and walking distance to Union.

I would easily hold several hundred people between the Mezzanine and Concourse levels and has media readily accessible as they are constantly there for various issues, usually financial but not exclusively.

And that is off the top of my head. An original, fan friendly venue. Different. Like things used to be done.

Let's not be apologists either my friend.

ie. Paul Potts visits FCP

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2148/2037959694_8900137108.jpg

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
There's direct access from Union Station to the ACC.

Would you rather have the event at a bank instead of at a sporting arena? really?

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Its not being held at an arena...it's being held at a team store. Nobody is getting within throwing distance of inside the arena.

And it's actually a shopping concourse owned by the bank...not a bank alone.

And others haven't seemed to mind the venue. They hold concerts there all the time!

And like I said...it was off the top of my head. Given a few days (which they have had more than enough of) I could certainly come up with ideas! And I think that is the biggest complaint...the one settled for seems....lacking.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:19 PM
If you think so, I can't change your mind.

MLSE has offices at the ACC, and can probably set something up with very short notice. Anything else would take more involvement, and probably a rental fee.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
oh, and I just checked. The grand ballroom is booked that night.

http://bustersparentstowed.com/w/Images/Grand-Ballroom.png

:rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolle yes5:

Bluenose13
01-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Parky.......All they had to do was open up the press conference to supporters, instead of making it a, come to our store buy a shirt & get an autograph event.

TFC supporters have opened thier wallets for this team over & over, this was a great opportunity for the club to let the supporters enjoy our new signing without turning it into a cash grab.

I think what bothers many people is TFC started off by opening up itself to supporters & now they seem to be heading in the direction of the cash cow maple leafs.

It's too bad really, because we all would have bought the new shirt anyway.

egoodwin
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
actually this works well for me, i was looking for a reason to head downtown to buy a new jersey...

odds are i'll get there and they'll be sold out of L...

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I am fairly certain the rental fee is not an issue, nor the short notice.

So really the only problem with the one venue I gave as an initial thought is whether people would have a problem with it being owned by "a bank". Which some might I suppose. But like I said...it was off the top of my head. And I am quite sure some would argue it's more preferable than the team store. Have you been in it? 10 people in that store makes it too crowded.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 09:28 PM
oh, and I just checked. The grand ballroom is booked that night.

http://bustersparentstowed.com/w/Images/Grand-Ballroom.png

:rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolle yes5:

Ahhhhh...the slippery slope argument. That's a little over the top mon ami! :D

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Parky.......All they had to do was open up the press conference to supporters, instead of making it a, come to our store buy a shirt & get an autograph event.

agreed, but no one has to buy anything to get into the place. It's open to the public.

The Professor
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
There's direct access from Union Station to the ACC.

Would you rather have the event at a bank instead of at a sporting arena? really?

Now that you've asked - I think, as a STH, a Prize Patrol announcement made at my front door would be most convenient.

Since that's not likely to happen, I'll hitch up the sled dogs and make the trek down to the ACC. :D

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05Kk5s12txczS/610x.jpg

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Ahhhhh...the slippery slope argument. That's a little over the top mon ami! :D

but nothing is too good for us. after all, we paid for our tickets and deserve the best... right?

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Now that you've asked - I think, as a STH, a Prize Patrol announcement made at my front door would be most convenient.

Since that's not likely to happen, I'll hitch up the sled dogs and make the trek down to the ACC. :D

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05Kk5s12txczS/610x.jpg

nice overalls. MaryAnne looks so happy!

GeorgeB
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
If you think so, I can't change your mind.

MLSE has offices at the ACC, and can probably set something up with very short notice. Anything else would take more involvement, and probably a rental fee.short notice ? we made this trade before christmas ! this should be a major event! as far a soccer culture goes mlse doesnt have a clue.did you see the effort AC Milan put out for Beckham ? a fucking loan player ! our hometown boy (who is a superstar in this league) returns to play for his hometown and all we get is an autograph session LOL

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ci5ztUGVbPst5M:http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/22/article-0-02DEE860000005DC-812_468x328.jpg (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/22/article-0-02DEE860000005DC-812_468x328.jpg)

RedRum
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
like where?

honestly..... they don't have to pay a rental fee to do the event at the ACC.
where the hell else would they do it? Outdoors at Young/Dundas? Outside BMO in the snow?

seriously, where would you suggest?

Seriously where do I suggest? That argyle pattern must be going to your head lol

The ACC holds 18,000. With a straight face you are telling me they cant find somewhere for 350 max to gather somewhere in there?

You dont think a sports bar owner would happily donate his place on a way-off-peak-time 3:00 Thursday afternoon to a large bunch of guys who have been known to toss a few back? Plus have his bar name all over print, audio, and visual media reporting on the event. He would most certainly pay for the priviledge, never mind charge for it.

GeorgeB
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM

TFC supporters have opened thier wallets for this team over & over, this was a great opportunity for the club to let the supporters enjoy our new signing without turning it into a cash grab.

I think what bothers many people is TFC started off by opening up itself to supporters & now they seem to be heading in the direction of the cash cow maple leafs.

It's too bad really, because we all would have bought the new shirt anyway.totally fucking agree! not even europe's biggest clubs pull this stupid shit.

The Professor
01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
nice overalls. MaryAnne looks so happy!

Thanks! That's the new false teeth she's tryin' to hold in there.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
but nothing is too good for us. after all, we paid for our tickets and deserve the best... right?

Nobody is asking for something over the top. But a little effort would be nice, not only for the supporters, but even for DeRo himself! In fact...if I was DeRo I wouldn't exactly be impressed with the arrangements.

rocker
01-20-2009, 09:46 PM
.if I was DeRo I wouldn't exactly be impressed with the arrangements.

I'm sure he'll be happy with the extra money and years he's getting on his contract ;) if he cared THAT much about a press conference he woulda done one earlier.

James17930
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
You dont think a sports bar owner would happily donate his place on a way-off-peak-time 3:00 Thursday afternoon to a large bunch of guys who have been known to toss a few back? Plus have his bar name all over print, audio, and visual media reporting on the event. He would most certainly pay for the priviledge, never mind charge for it.

Toronto FC has a contract with the Jack Astor's chain. They can't just pick a random sports bar or they'd be in breech of contract and it would cost them,

george... did you really just compare DeRo to Beckham and TFC to AC Milan?
The party they threw for Beckham probably cost more than DeRo's annual salary.
That's like comparing apples to thanksgiving turkey.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm sure he'll be happy with the extra money and years he's getting on his contract ;) if he cared THAT much about a press conference he woulda done one earlier.

DeRo was getting lots of adoration in Houston. I am sure he is expecting some sort of heightened expectation from the fans. What TFC should do is capture that and I think the point of the disappointment is that this event seems to fall short of taking advantage of this fact by muting the reaction from the fans.

That is all from me.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Toronto FC has a contract with the Jack Astor's chain. They can't just pick a random sports bar or they'd be in breech of contract and it would cost them,

That's like comparing apples to thanksgiving turkey.

I agree with George on this one.

GeorgeB
01-20-2009, 10:05 PM

That's like comparing apples to thanksgiving turkey.i was making a point how big clubs deal with this kind of stuff,its an event .what bugs me is that we could do the same but we dont ,eventhough we have reason too.to me mlse is once again missing the boat.AND STOP FUCKING DEFENDING MLSE ALL THE FUCKING TIME ! you in bed with them ?

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
as far a soccer culture goes mlse doesnt have a clue.did you see the effort AC Milan put out for Beckham ? a fucking loan player ! our hometown boy (who is a superstar in this league) returns to play for his hometown and all we get is an autograph session LOL

I agree with George on this one.

let's compare the two....

nation team
DeRo: Canada
Beck: England

Current league
DeRo: MLS
Beck: Serie A (on loan) MLS as a day job

Current Club
DeRo: Toronto FC - founded 2005, has won nothing, ever.
Beck: Ac milan - founded 1899, have won almost everything except the UEFA Cup

Salary
DeRo: under $400,000
Beck: millions and millions and millions

*one more:

current teammate
DeRo: Rickets
Beck: Kaka!

I agree that there should be more hoopla over bringing DeRo home... but comparing him to beckham and comparing TFC to Milan is such a far stretch.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:15 PM
AND STOP FUCKING DEFENDING MLSE ALL THE FUCKING TIME ! you in bed with them ?

I'm not in bed with them, I'm just trying to be realistic about this.

people act like the entire team should show up at their door with a basket of muffins and discuss the starting 11 over tea.

people forget we're dealing with a small league, in a small market. We can't compare ourselves to AC Milan. You said 'how big clubs deal with....' We're NOT a big club.

We can hardly compare ourselves to the Raptors, and how big was their 'open fan day' when they signed a big ticket (and many time all-star) player like Jermain O'Neal? They was none.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 10:18 PM
yeah i gotta say people are going overboard with this.

Shakes McQueen
01-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Why does this matter so much?

I mean, I get some of the stuff we argue about on this forum, but right now people are squabbling about whether MLSE is giving the DeRo signing the appropriate fanfare or not.

The autograph signing thing gives fans a chance to meet DeRo, shake his hand, maybe shoot the breeze - on an individual level. For all we know, perhaps DeRo requested that MLSE not make a gigantic deal about this.

The season can't start soon enough. I don't know if we will all survive the offseason. :D

- Scott

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
oh... and if TFC signed Kaka for $115 million pounds, 95% of the city would be laughing at his name without knowing ANYTHING about him.

Shakes McQueen
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
What I want to know is - where is the parade going to be held? They better have gotten the big elephant from the zoo. Knowing ML$E, they probably got that 34 year old billy goat with no hair instead.

They know they can get away with it, as we are all sheep, and will happily pay for our parade tickets.

- Scott

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 10:25 PM
oh... and if TFC signed Kaka for $115 million pounds, 95% of the city would be laughing at his name without knowing ANYTHING about him.

You can't have $ and pounds in the same figure. :D

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 10:26 PM

people act like the entire team should show up at their door with a basket of muffins and discuss the starting 11 over tea.

people forget we're dealing with a small league, in a small market. We can't compare ourselves to AC Milan. You said 'how big clubs deal with....' We're NOT a big club.

We can hardly compare ourselves to the Raptors, and how big was their 'open fan day' when they signed a big ticket (and many time all-star) player like Jermain O'Neal? They was none.

The Raptors are owned by the same cheap company. Sorry but you just fulled other people's arguments about MLSE ;)

While I'll probably be there, I gotta agree that the event is a little underwhelming. I mean, this is no bigger then an autograph session at HMV, sad, because this should be a big day in TFC history.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
You can't have $ and pounds in the same figure. :D

sorry, I'm tired.

The Raptors are owned by the same cheap company. Sorry but you just fulled other people's arguments about MLSE ;)

damnit. How about when Shaq went to Phoenix. what.... he's on the Suns? Who knew?

What I want to know is - where is the parade going to be held? They better have gotten the big elephant from the zoo. Knowing ML$E, they probably got that 34 year old billy goat with no hair instead.

They know they can get away with it, as we are all sheep, and will happily pay for our parade tickets.

- Scott

^ LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. I'd love to see a goat in a parade. cheers scott

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
BTW - I got an idea which someone must of thought of already. What if the supporters put their own shit together for Dero and Shoeless or something after the autograph session. You can kindly invite him to attend, atleast stop by for 15 minutes. Why can't the supporters make an event that's bigger then what MLSE would go out of their way to do? Instead of sitting here and complaining, show him how it's done. I know people on these boards have enough contacts that they could make something happen.

Keyman
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Why not use Yankee Doodle for a De Ro chant!?

United we will stand and sing
in the stands for you De Ro
You’ve come home to Toronto
To guide our team to glory

Lo lo lo lo lo lo lo
Lo lo lo lo lo lo
Lo lo lo lo lo lo lo
Lo lo lo lo lo looo loooo

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
BTW - I got an idea which someone must of thought of already. What if the supporters put their own shit together for Dero and Shoeless or something after the autograph session. You can kindly invite him to attend, atleast stop by for 15 minutes. Why can't the supporters make an event that's bigger then what MLSE would go out of their way to do? Instead of sitting here and complaining, show him how it's done. I know people on these boards have enough contacts that they could make something happen.

I actually suggested that privately already. I hope it takes.

GeorgeB
01-20-2009, 10:36 PM

people forget we're dealing with a small league, in a small market. We can't compare ourselves to AC Milan. We can hardly compare ourselves to the Raptors, and how big was their 'open fan day' when they signed a big ticket (and many time all-star) player like Jermain O'Neal? They was none. listen Parkdale,supporters would have come to this and there would be lots of them.cause thats what we do ,its who we are and its what seperates us from othe fans of the other sports teams in the city .so stop comparing it to that when its a totaly diffrerent animal.maybe we arent AC Milan ,but we will never be if this mentality by mlse continues.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:40 PM
wait..... you guys missed the REAL announcement for the DeRo signing? It was on TV today at noon.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/3207474347_e55cde3146.jpg

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 10:42 PM
DC United signed him????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !! :hulk:

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:42 PM
listen Parkdale,supporters would have come to this and there would be lots of them.cause thats what we do ,its who we are and its what seperates us from othe fans of the other sports teams in the city

and by now, all the supporters who frequent the message boards know what's happening. Obviously it would have been better if more people knew about it, but if 1000 people showed up, it would be a whole different kind of event, and they would probably have to limit access to him. This way, we can all go say hello if we want to.

Think of the pub crawls. They had lots of notice, players were there, and it wasn't during work hours, and they got a few hundred people tops. Believe me, I want it to be bigger than it is, but we're not there yet.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 10:53 PM
all very true.
At the end of the day its a thursday afternoon, its Dero and its TFC.
God knows i love this team with all my heart but not everyone feels that way and you arent going to get droves of fans out for DeRos signing contrary to what seems to be popular belief

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
oh, and one other point:

right now, there is access to the man. I'm sure he'll be shaking hands, signing kids shirts and taking the time to people who tell him I went to Malvern too. No matter what kind of event they throw, I'd rather have one where Dwayne is accessible, instead of something so big that he's just a man behind glass in the VIP room (like most of the All-Star players were last summer).

yes, they could have done a bigger event, but if the event was big enough that we couldn't get a chance to shake his hand and personally welcome him to the team, then that would be an epic fail.

Damien
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/3207474347_e55cde3146.jpg

^^ DC United fans celebrate the mutual release of Marcelo Gallardo.

tfcmanu
01-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Not to continue the MLSE bashing...cause I think it's gone on long enough...but there are places. It's not hard to be original.

Right off the top of my head for example. The concourse at First Canadian Place holds many events over the course of the year, including celebrity (minor ones of course) appearances and charity events. It's the home branch of BMO (the team sponsor) and near TWO subway stations and walking distance to Union.

I would easily hold several hundred people between the Mezzanine and Concourse levels and has media readily accessible as they are constantly there for various issues, usually financial but not exclusively.

And that is off the top of my head. An original, fan friendly venue. Different. Like things used to be done.

Let's not be apologists either my friend.

ie. Paul Potts visits FCP

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2148/2037959694_8900137108.jpg Hey Roogsy, FCP would be a great location all I would have to do is come down the elevators, how convenient. :p

GeorgeB
01-20-2009, 11:02 PM
and by now, all the supporters who frequent the message boards know what's happening. Obviously it would have been better if more people knew about it, but if 1000 people showed up, it would be a whole different kind of event, and they would probably have to limit access to him. This way, we can all go say hello if we want to.

Think of the pub crawls. They had lots of notice, players were there, and it wasn't during work hours, and they got a few hundred people tops. Believe me, I want it to be bigger than it is, but we're not there yet. whatever.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
good point there. whatever it is.

announcement with a big bang and lots of hype = pissed off supporters
announcement with a small affair, and no hype = pissed off supporters.

JonO
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Kick the raptors out of their practice gym and hold the post-announcement for the fans there. It's a good size venue for the number of people I would expect and they already use it for raptor season ticket holder meet and greets...

just saying is all....

I think they probably could have done but at the same time i don't think it's the "you have to buy a jersey to get a signature" event that a lot of people are making it out to be...

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-20-2009, 11:13 PM
a nice tv spot coverage by Gol,Sportsnet( if they give up the poker slot) would be nice. Lets not having MLSE spalsinh out for a Beckham type party...people are struggling to keep jobs in the current economy, lets not go hollywood.

Parkdale
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Kick the raptors out of their practice gym and hold the post-announcement for the fans there. It's a good size venue for the number of people I would expect and they already use it for raptor season ticket holder meet and greets...

just saying is all....

I think they probably could have done but at the same time i don't think it's the "you have to buy a jersey to get a signature" event that a lot of people are making it out to be...

two very valid points.

the practice gym would be perfect, and free.

and yes, people are already passing judgment before attending the event.
It could suck, or it could be fun. either way... it's a great announcement.

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll be there. In an ideal world De Ro would be unveiled at BMO Field but hey, if i get a shirt signed, a photo of me shaking his hand and a few words from the man himself then how much better off am I than all those people at the beckham in milan gig referenced above?

FCP would have worked by the way, but it's a bit sterile. Still, good pull from the top of your head, moderalismo.

ANYONE WHO IS GOING - we HAVE to sing this is our house at the acc, and do it right. Who's up for it?!

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 11:25 PM

just saying is all....

JonO - if you're in the office tomorrow and want me to get something signed by De Ro - bring it with you dude.

Roogsy
01-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Whether at the ACC or at BMO...we have to sing this.

I will be humming it all week long.

LsgfL_UizTU

Hitcho
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Fine then, we'll do both! :D

Oldtimer
01-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I can't believe that people would prefer going to the press conference instead of personally meeting DeRo and welcoming him home!!!!

Would you really prefer to hear Tom Anselmi give a speech?

The Kingpin
01-21-2009, 02:13 AM
i was making a point how big clubs deal with this kind of stuff,its an event .what bugs me is that we could do the same but we dont ,eventhough we have reason too.to me mlse is once again missing the boat.AND STOP FUCKING DEFENDING MLSE ALL THE FUCKING TIME ! you in bed with them ?

I'm really beginning to wonder this as well. It seems quite obvious that there has to be some allegiance as you have dominated a thread in which people are obviously disappointed with the fact that TFC has put in minimal effort in contrast to year one. It's the contrast that is making people take notice.

Mike L, if you can tell me you have never taken a dollar out of TFC's hands then so be it, you are a man of differing opinions. If you have worked for TFC in any way then your opinions are diffused as you are simply defending your wallet. But one way or another George has stumbled across something very interesting, you spend hours defending the foibles of the club. People who come here to sell T-Shirts, etc are admonished immediately, are you sure you are not selling something? Just my thoughts... And others thoughts too it would seem.

Cashcleaner
01-21-2009, 02:22 AM

I will be there will bells on. Should be good times. :D

The Kingpin
01-21-2009, 02:24 AM
I will be there will bells on. Should be good times. :D

Why is everyone wearing bells? :)

Cashcleaner
01-21-2009, 02:39 AM
^ Cut me some slack, I'm coming into the thread late after writing down some thoughts on the 1st Punic War so it's taking me some time to get caught up-to-date with this story and people's posts. :p

BTW: Really disappointing to hear MLSE isn't creating more of a stir about this. I don't have the money (or, frankly the initiative) to buy a jersey or anything, but I will be dropping by to show my support for our new Toronto FC star. I think the criticisms are incredibly valid, but this is one function I don't want to miss out on.

The Kingpin
01-21-2009, 04:37 AM
^ Cut me some slack, I'm coming into the thread late after writing down some thoughts on the 1st Punic War so it's taking me some time to get caught up-to-date with this story and people's posts. :p

BTW: Really disappointing to hear MLSE isn't creating more of a stir about this. I don't have the money (or, frankly the initiative) to buy a jersey or anything, but I will be dropping by to show my support for our new Toronto FC star. I think the criticisms are incredibly valid, but this is one function I don't want to miss out on.

I just couldn't resist, it's not a term I hear grown men say that often! :D

Here it comes... This is the crux of the matter. The fans want this to be big, but MLSE is hoping the fans make it big on their time and their dollar. This is basically how it's been since day one in some respects. (TFC did make the large Toronto FC banners) But as has been stated it's been the resolute stripping of fan events and club support. Many have suggested it was coming, but to come this quickly is surprising and quite frankly disheartening.

In conjunctions with ticket increases has come a reduction in services. Some might call the "whining" whilst others might call it an observation of the realities at hand. I'm not expecting some level of perfection, just some added thought beyond the lazy mundane marketing efforts that have schlepped to the fans that helped make the team the success it is. Even when I read/hear about TFC over here it's about the fans, not the management or team. We are doing our "job", they are beginning to become mired in corporate malaise.

I must question, what is the difference between some general public entrepreneur coming on here vs. Paul coming on here? Both are selling a product to the fans. Why is it that we admonish anyone else coming on here to sell products that ostensibly sell the TFC brand, and celebrate TFC management coming on here to do the same. Here let me help (http://mls-jerseys.com/). Job done. It's almost that easy.

So dancing monkey's with expendable cash, what's next? Is it whinging to expect more? I don't think so. Have many of you put in loads of effort to make TFC what it is today? Yes you have. Don't sell your efforts short people, they have been amasing!!

- Connie and her travel team have helped build the TFC brand across NA
- Jack and Mike have been regular ambassadors of the brand
- More of the media coverage has come from the supporters, not the club
- Banners have been funded by the fans
- The atmosphere TFC "sells" was created by all of you, not them
- Some of the more publicised charity events are fan led

And this is off the top of my head.

I do not have a personal vendetta against TFC management in any way, they have always been congenial with me when I have spoken to any of them. I find Paul to have a real passion for what he does, but sometimes I wonder if he is hampered by those who pull his strings. He is quite good at "Feedback 3.0", which is basically managing negative underground swell. But I'd like to see a much more genuine approach vs. what we have seen over the last few day. I mean the date in the post was even incorrect. I checked my hotmail this morning... No message from the club. This is really simple stuff. Maybe their understaffed, I'm not sure.

To wrap up, I think people should go and support a player even though that doesn't really matter to a organisation that has performed fan placating acquisitions for years. The player will be one of the leaders on the pitch, and he needs to know that the fans are behind him. Even though the club only sees him as shirt sales.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Dude, if you want an FO that doesnt care look at Colorado.

The Kingpin
01-21-2009, 04:44 AM
And how did it get that way? I'm not aware of the history, but I'm not also concerned with comparisons. We should expect a lot, get the most for our dollars. It's just good business. We at times suggest and celebrate that MLSE is a business, so wake up! Well then let us operate the same way, as a business that will not be stripped of our personal profits for their long term gain. I want more for my money, don't you? If you do, then demand it!!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-21-2009, 05:56 AM
Colorado always had a shit FO, it was never from a lack of effort from the supporters.
Im bowing out of this thread as its gotten ridiculous.

onemanbarmyarmy
01-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Yeah, to not send out e-mails about TFC events is lame. I don't think anyone is dealing with ticket sales or ticket related problems right now. I'm pretty sure most of the ticket reps can type and I'm certain they are already on the internet playing Mob Wars and FBW...oh, that reminds me...

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
De Rosario + grass for 2010 = greatest TFC announcement for all time.

DERO+VITTI+GRASS.......+ Mario Yepes for CB n were SET:canada:

Parkdale
01-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Pat, I'm taking this stand simply because I don't feel that club owes us for what we do. We've done a lot of things for the team, like make banners and run roadtrips, but I honestly don't think anyone was doing it for the Front Office, they were doing it for the club. There is a difference.

The player will be one of the leaders on the pitch, and he needs to know that the fans are behind him. Even though the club only sees him as shirt sales.And that, is the crux of my whole issue here. It seems that people, not just you, are implying that the people who run the club really don't give a shit about anything other than sales. Maybe the MLSE board is all about cash, but I guarantee that Everyone from Mo down the foodchain (Paul, Cesar, Joe, etc etc) are passionate about this team and the sport in general. There needs to be a division between this 'MLSE Boogeyman' that people vilify and the people on the ground level who are making the wheels turn. No one here ever sticks up for those people, so I'm doing it because I appreciate what they've done for us.

as for my getting paid by the club - I've never gotten a single dollar from them. I did make a video and the company I worked for sent them a bill (not the my Town Video, I went out of pocket for that). They paid my company and I didn't get any extra cash from it or anything like that. And in the grand scheme of things... it was a drop in the bucket. Less than a drop really. Almost laughable. It was something I did because I love the team and got to watch old games at work without hiding it from the boss (like I do on normal days)

canadian_bhoy
01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Whether it is due to pressure from above (above paul) or if its a budget issue or lack of staff (TFC's FO is half it's original size), they have certainly strayed far from the things they did in year one that made the franchise such a success.

I think back to the Mo and Brennan press conferences. Held at Scallywags with seated reporters and supporters in good voice in the background. Not only was there an opportunity to be there for the reveal, but you also got to mingle afterwards.

Look ahead to the Robbo signing and again - a local level grass roots fan event hosted by Carlsberg at the Beir Market. Once again, a press event, but time and room for supporters to participate and mingle.

Next was the ROB, pozniak and reda signing. The press conference took place at the CN tower, but post presser, a meet and greet with the supporters and the new players at The Bottom Line.

The reveal of DeRo is in stark contrast to those events. The post press conference autograph signing reeks of a throwtogether event - and the hope of some merch sales. Don't forget that they thought that the 300 new jersey's they got in time for Christmas would be scooped up in a flash...they are still available at the ACC today.

Whatever the reason behind it, I think this event is a poor effort by TFC - especially given the time they've had to plan it.

If they don't have the budget and the support isn't there, then why not do something for the 50 people that WILL show up. That's what they used to do.

What would get more headlines - "TFC unveils Derosario" OR "Boiterous fans swarm the ACC to welcome TFC's newest signin - DeRo

Hitcho
01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
There needs to be a division between this 'MLSE Boogeyman' that people vilify and the people on the ground level who are making the wheels turn. No one here ever sticks up for those people, so I'm doing it because I appreciate what they've done for us.

That's probably a fair point. For all we know Paul may have pushed for a bigger launch on De Ro but been told to sod off. Times are tough, MLSE has a repuatation for being tight, it's not hard to believe that any kind of funding is hard to come by, even for a simple event (because they'd still need security, PA systems, etc). And, of course, Paul couldn't come on here and say he'd been pushing for something but been told to sod off, because then he'd be in the shit (although feel free to post a knowing wink mlsintoronto if I am close to the mark).

Still, the club has made much fo its "special relationship" with the fans, so if they fans are feeling snubbed and the club truly values them, then they could at least come out and say "look sorry guys, this is the best we can get right now for whatever reason, we'll try and get you back later in the year" - or something.

Roogsy
01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Colorado always had a shit FO, it was never from a lack of effort from the supporters.
Im bowing out of this thread as its gotten ridiculous.

Most of us recognize that this club does care and should never be compared to Colorado or Columbus.

That being said...is there anything wrong with helping them correct themselves along the way? :D

Hitcho
01-21-2009, 09:36 AM
If De Rosario is a home town guy who wants to be in touch with the fans (quite possible), he may go for a drink with the fans after the autograph signing is finished, along with anyone else who is there like Mo, Jimmy B or whoever. Has anyone (Mike, Jack?) made moves on this front? I bet if an informal post session meet and greet was on the cards and people knew about it, attendance would go up significantly.

Nodoubtguy
01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Honestly.....this board became a bitchfest to the tune of "wheres DeRo?" when there was no announcement after the initial trade, so now that they crossed the t's and dotted the i's and threw something together as fast as they could, people are still complaining.

flatpicker
01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Honestly.....this board became a bitchfest to the tune of "wheres DeRo?" when there was no announcement after the initial trade, so now that they crossed the t's and dotted the i's and threw something together as fast as they could, people are still complaining.

I think that's what people are complaining about!

Roogsy
01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Nodoubt...I would argue the whole DeRo situation as a whole could have been managed better...and there is nothing wrong with voicing our opinion about it. If you can explain why it is wrong to express disappointment, I am all ears.

canadian_bhoy
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM

I think people are really taking the issue to the extreme here.

I don't think that anyone is going crazy over this - it's just a stark contrast to how other clubs in the world have done big player unveilings and it's a stark contrast to how TFC has unveiled big players.

If the supporters don't make their opinions felt and constantly push the club to be the best they can be - If the supporters don't try to use their football knowledge to express how we would like to see things handled...then what's the point of being a supporter anyway?

We need to express our views - both positive and negative. Sure, there needs to be more positive expression of support around here, but the concerns only help the club and the group preform better.

Roogsy
01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Wasn't there positive expression of support when they signed DeRo? The murmuring only started when the rumours began that he wasn't going to sign.

Generally speaking, haven't there been positive reviews of Mo's moves so far? Some complaints...but mostly positive comments.

Shoot...there was even a poll here that has labelled RPB as "Mo lovers".

How much love do we have to give before we are given leeway to express a little disappointment? Holy crap...there certainly is a lot of whining that goes on here on this board but I am not certain it's only the people that complain about MLSE that are to blame. :noidea:

Beach_Red
01-21-2009, 09:51 AM
^ I think it would be embarrassing for a second-to-last place team to make a big deal out of a player signing.

I can understand it in the beginning when the team was new but now it's time to get more serious, to "get to work."

The only big celebration I'm interested in is winning.

Parkdale
01-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Mike L, if you can tell me you have never taken a dollar out of TFC's hands then so be it, you are a man of differing opinions.

If you have worked for TFC in any way then your opinions are diffused as you are simply defending your wallet.

let's not start going tit-for-tat into our financial dealings okay?

There's no RPB rule about working with the club,
but there is a very solid rule about selling tickets to other RPB members.

I'm not going to get into it here, but you must know that brining
money issues into your argument can only backfire against you.

Roogsy
01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
^ I agree...that was unnecessary.

Shaughno
01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
^ I agree...that was unnecessary.

Probably, but if he's right his point stands and it is very valid.