PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for the CB

Shakes McQueen
01-19-2009, 11:46 PM
So, now that the cat appears to be out of the bag in regards to Mo's mysterious "South American striker", we can now begin to move on to the second part of his statement, where he said he was looking to add a CB.

Who do you think he should go after? Who is available, either in MLS, out-of-contract, or playing abroad?

- Scott

Shaughno
01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Sounds like they're looking for someone within the league.

flatpicker
01-19-2009, 11:50 PM
There goes my wish of having Rickie Lambert join Toronto...

:(

Why does Mo never go to England to find his players?!

backbeat
01-19-2009, 11:50 PM
but if he said he was signing a CB and a striker and he's done and then coming home, why would he need to be away to sign someone within the MLS?

sounded to me like it was someone outside the MLS.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2009, 11:54 PM
they guys on the score said he was looking within, i would imagine that coupled with the possible trading of edwards might lead up to our new CB

DigzTFC!
01-20-2009, 12:02 AM
If we could we should switch Velez for Ugo Ihemelu. He won't get called up for any real national team duty and count as a domestic.

I've always been a big supporter of Serioux though. Hainault I think is without a contract now too (Houston has his discovery rights).

DigzTFC!
01-20-2009, 12:03 AM
I think there will be two signings outside (Vitti and a CB) and the rest will be trades. 1-2 to moves.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Love to see Hainult here, wonder how Mo didnt go after him, dont really see him or Serioux barring some miracle coming here. How does everyone here rate Ihemelu?

David_Oliveira
01-20-2009, 01:11 AM
If we look at the teams who need GKs, you narrow it down to Houston and San Jose as they only have a single goalie. Since we just dealt with Houston, I really don't see us dealing with them again but since they are rebuilding and what not...hey Onstad is getting old.

San Jose have Ryan Cochrane and Nick Garcia at CB (I think). Garcia is their captain so he would be out of the picture. So since Mo is that damn good, I see us getting Ryan Cochrane and a draft for Edwards.

Or Mo can work his magic and go a totally different way

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Maybe Edwards and an allocation for Hainault?
Is Hainault worth that much?

devioustrevor
01-20-2009, 02:05 AM

Maybe, maybe not. But worse case scenario he becomes a depth player while at the same time freeing up an International slot if we have something else that needs addressed.

CretanBull
01-20-2009, 02:14 AM
Hainault is way too young for what we need...we'll be looking at a late 20's early 30's MLS vet who knows the league, who can be a leader and organize our back line.

King Tut
01-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Bayern Munich's Willy Sagnol. I just heard on the Fox Soccer Report that he's retiring because of an injury that wont be able to keep him playing at the highest level in Europe. Considering the short MLS season and the fact that he has no future in Europe, maybe we could attempt to get him on the cheap...He's only 31 too. Maybe he'd be interested...;)

BuSaPuNk
01-20-2009, 07:18 AM
I would think that MO still has something on the go with FC Dallas to get Serioux. I hope so he would be a perfect addition. Good to see the wheels are finally moving.

LucaGol
01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Bayern Munich's Willy Sagnol. I just heard on the Fox Soccer Report that he's retiring because of an injury that wont be able to keep him playing at the highest level in Europe. Considering the short MLS season and the fact that he has no future in Europe, maybe we could attempt to get him on the cheap...He's only 31 too. Maybe he'd be interested...;)

Willy Sagnol plays right back.

rocker
01-20-2009, 08:10 AM

well, since he's not in MLS, he's not worth that much ;)

Houston put a discovery on him, so unless TFC has a contract signing lined up that's only waiting for Houston's discovery rights, then there's nothing to trade. and no way would Hainault's discovery rights be worth Edwards and an allocation. Maybe a draft pick and some cash at most.

but anyways, Hainault isn't what we need. I would like a 27-29 year old solid, proven MLS defender. a guy who knows the league, and you can trust there won't be any adjustment period.

King Tut
01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Willy Sagnol plays right back.

I know. But he's capable of playing a Right Center Back too..We're talking MLS here, where attacking midfielders can switch to strikers, and players can shift around (maybe slightly). I think Sagnol can do the job.

ACSertL
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I know. But he's capable of playing a Right Center Back too..We're talking MLS here, where attacking midfielders can switch to strikers, and players can shift around (maybe slightly). I think Sagnol can do the job.

As a Bayern supporter I tend to agree with your statement here, but Sagnol hasn't played any sort of first team football in quite some time. I'd also be concerned about the turf.

Yohan
01-20-2009, 01:28 PM
As a Bayern supporter I tend to agree with your statement here, but Sagnol hasn't played any sort of first team football in quite some time. I'd also be concerned about the turf.
as good as Sagnol would be, another injury prone player is not someone we need

TFC OZZ
01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Jimmy Conrad or Adrian Serioux.

I shouldn't need to explain why we need Serioux, it's been said enough times for a while...

Conrad is MLS proven, he's making 203K a year he's the captain of KC. He's a magnificent player, and the EXACT kind of player that I want at TFC. He's played with Dwayne De Rosario and with Todd Dunivant (pretty sure) before

We have tons of allocation money, and could trade a combination of the following players to sign him:
-Marshall
-Velez
-Dunivant
-Edwards
-Cronin (I don't really want to trade him)

For example, we package Marshall, and Edwards, and 125K.

Or, we pull a three way trade with Seattle getting Marshall + others, Us getting Conrad, and KC getting something from Seattle

My trading ideas may be a little wonky, but we need to somehow facilitate Conrad's move here....

Yohan
01-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Jimmy Conrad.
i;d rather have chad marshall

then again, conrad is too old to jump ship to europe...

Shway
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds like they're looking for someone within the league.

If its a south american player, in the league, could it be conde
There has been talks about him being disgruntled, and wanting out of Chicago, could it be:noidea:

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
we will never ever get Jimmy Conrad, thatd be like pulling Brennan away from us.
As for Conde, dont think we could sign him, hes in his last year and has expressed repeatedly wanting to play under Osorio

Yohan
01-20-2009, 08:43 PM
we will never ever get Jimmy Conrad, thatd be like pulling Brennan away from us.

now i may be commiting heresy when i say this, but under the circumstances, i'd trade Conrad for Brennan.
as good as Jimmy B has been for the team, I think there are better choices for LB/LW... (would have loved to see Bornstein in TFC uniform)

DigzTFC!
01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
I believe Edwards plus a draft pick would be satisfactory for Hainault. But, if he can`t start he shouldn`t consider playing in the MLS and should stay abroad. I think he`s ready to assume the role so long as there is a veteran presence paired with him.

With all the `business` Carver was doing abroad you`d think there would be some defenders from England on their radar

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I think this is a no brainer. Serioux to TFC!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
What will Dallas want for Serioux tho?
Sounded like they werent giving him up easy at the draft

CretanBull
01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't really understand why everyone is so high on Serioux. He is OK, but I don't think that he's great - and he's prone to getting carded and committing fouls around the box. It would cost much more to get, but I'd pay the price for someone like Conrad.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Like i said, Conrad wont be coming, dude is captain of KC and the keystone of that team

CretanBull
01-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I realize that...I just meant "someone like Conrad"

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I realize that...I just meant "someone like Conrad"

Well shit, I want someone like John Terry!!! I think the point of this strategy session is to be a little realistic ;)

Pachuco
01-20-2009, 11:17 PM
now i may be commiting heresy when i say this, but under the circumstances, i'd trade Conrad for Brennan.
as good as Jimmy B has been for the team, I think there are better choices for LB/LW... (would have loved to see Bornstein in TFC uniform)

Sure, I'd trade Brennan in a second for Conrad, but i'm sorry, that ain't happening. What the heck would KC want to do with Brennan when they got Conrad?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
agreed re: someone like conrad

CretanBull
01-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Well shit, I want someone like John Terry!!! I think the point of this strategy session is to be a little realistic ;)

I know that you're being sarcastic, but it's not as if landing someone like Jon Conrad vs. someone like is out of the question. My overall point is that I think people are vastly over-rating Serioux. He's basically a more talented cross between Harmse and Marshall..of course we could use him, but it's not the type of player that I'm going to pin my hopes on. I'm going pin my hopes on someone like Conrad - a solid CB, a leader, someone who can organize the back line, a guy who knows the league and the players in it etc. I see Serioux more of a complimentary player, a good player as a part of an over-all defensive unit but not a comanding leader at the back. That style of play and those qualities are what we need...not a Serioux enforcer type.

RedsYNWA
01-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I say Give Izzy a trial, he can't cost that much and what a name

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izzy_Iriekpen

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 02:24 PM
How many injuries has the guy had!?

He seems like he's been injury riddled his whole(short) career??

MartinUtd
01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Darren Powell was just released from Derby. How about it.. another Hammersmith lad nearly as old as Dichio?

RedsYNWA
01-28-2009, 03:17 PM
This is a position where I would add an experienced player like a Hyypia, who cares if they are old, teach the youth

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I’d give Exodus Geohaghon a trial. Big, strong in the air, can throw the ball further the Delap. Blue Square Premier to MLS might be a big step up, but I think he’d be capable. Certainly didn’t look out of place against Fulham (well, other than the own goal).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_Geohaghon