View Full Version : TFC aging core

Luanda
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I am somewhat concerned about the aging core of TFC players

upfront: Dichio 35 years old
in the middle: Guevera 33, Robinson 33, De Rosario 31
defense: Marshall 35, Brennan 32
goal: Sutton 32

That is 7 players, all likely starters, beyond 30. Could this explain the many breakdowns of last year in the last 15 minutes? Will this issue become even more significant during the upcoming season?

trane
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Milan, has a similar problem. Maybe we can trade with Milan?

Cashcleaner
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't have any issue at all with the age of players aside from the fact that recovery times for injuries (of all severities) is consistently longer for older players. If Dichio can keep up the pace with the remainder of the pitch in his late thirties than the only real concern is what could happen in terms of his overall health. I'm somewhat worried about our aging staters, but Carver doesn't seem to be and that's good enough for me.

Also, As far as I can tell, Dichio wants to stay on with the club after his tenure on the pitch is over and I wouldn't be all that surprised if Sutton and Brennan feel the same.

BFin
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I have no problem with their ages, as Amado, Sutton, Jimmy B, DeRo, and Robinson didn't show any real signs of their age playing a problem last year.
Also, looking at that group, we did just draft a forward, midfielder, and goalie in the first round...so it's not like we have only older players on our roster.

werewolf
01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Dichio doesn't have much more then a season (maybe two) left. Marshall should be replaced in some capacity, preferably as soon as possible. And we have drafted two GKs high in the past two drafts, not looking good for Sutton long-term.

JDG
01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Look a little deeper at the roster. We have a good balance of youth and veterans.

Dichio is not a starter. He wasn't last year & won't be this year.
Sutton has real competition for the starter position with Edwards & Frei.

We have enough veterans to contribute to the development of our youthful core while still being effective on the pitch.

Robinson is co captain with Brennan. They're both natural leaders, and are effective mentors.

Youthful starters:
Wynne - 23 yrs old
Barrett - 24 yrs old
Ricketts - 26 yrs old

The Future:
Nana Attakora-Gyan - 20 yrs old
Sam Cronin - 22 yrs old
Abdus Ibrahim - 17 yrs old
Tyler Rosenlund - 22 yrs old
Johann Smith - 21 yrs old
O'Brian White - 23 yrs old

Hitcho
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
^ Pablo Vitti, 23 years old, another youthful starter?

Each of Brennan, Robbo, De Ro and Amado have a solid two years left in them, plus maybe some tail-off time after that. 2 years is a long time in MLS and we have a decent mix of youth and experience i think. Plus it's a league where success is often built on short term acquisitions of expereinced foreign players, hence the high turnover of that type of player.

We'll be fine, although I would like to see another decent CB brought in under 30 to steady the ship for next season. After that, we're set.

JDG
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
^ Pablo Vitti, 23 years old, another youthful starter?

I didn't include him because he isn't on the roster at this point in time, but yes - he is another example of youth for TFC should the deal be finalized.

olegunnar
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
This is a big year for the club.
Obviously it's make or break for Management, but also it's a big year for some young players on the team.

We have an aging core, and then a bunch of unproven players. We need some of the unproven players to step up and earn some of the optomisim they're generating in some circles.

Shakes McQueen
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Obviously it's make or break for Management, but also it's a big year for some young players on the team.

We have an aging core, and then a bunch of unproven players. We need some of the unproven players to step up and earn some of the optomisim they're generating in some circles.

Is it a make or break year for the management? Obviously many fans have high expectations (many did last year too, haha), but I'd be curious to hear from a guy like Paul B, as to whether he considers this a make or break year for the FO.

Remember: They chose to hire Mo, and Mo said he was operating on a five year plan. Perhaps expectations have changed... but perhaps not.

As for our aging talent, I'm not concerned. The big problem with age in soccer, is that they can't keep up with the pace of the game. That isn't as much of a problem in MLS.

- Scott

AL-MO
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Is it a make or break year for the management? Obviously many fans have high expectations (many did last year too, haha), but I'd be curious to hear from a guy like Paul B, as to whether he considers this a make or break year for the FO.

Remember: They chose to hire Mo, and Mo said he was operating on a five year plan. Perhaps expectations have changed... but perhaps not.

As for our aging talent, I'm not concerned. The big problem with age in soccer, is that they can't keep up with the pace of the game. That isn't as much of a problem in MLS.

- Scott

Yes, yes it is. My expectations of this year are to make the playoffs.(Don't even have to win a round) If that is not achieved, change is necessary.

Shakes McQueen
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes, yes it is. My expectations of this year are to make the playoffs.(Don't even have to win a round) If that is not achieved, change is necessary.

I'm not talking about what individual fans think - I mean, is this a make or break year to the people who make those decisions, like Paul B?

I think it's important that we make the playoffs this season, as we are a far better team.

- Scott

Super
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM

I agree 100%. This is the MLS, and it shouldn't take 5 years to put together a winning side. I do however have faith in our team, and I'm sure we'll be enjoying our first play-off game this fall.

Super
01-19-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm not talking about what individual fans think - I mean, is this a make or break year to the people who make those decisions, like Paul B?

I think it's important that we make the playoffs this season, as we are a far better team.

- Scott

The pressure would be incredible on the organization as a whole if we do not make the play-offs. Letters, media, etc. will put so much pressure on management, sponsors are likely to as well, that they'll have to change a few things -- starting with manager and coach -- to quiet down the mob.

That's the way it should be for any ambitious club anyway.

Blazer
01-19-2009, 08:23 PM
At this level of football, you take the best guys who are willing to come and play here, age aside. It’s different if this was a quality league where guys might want to be here long term. Dichio and Marshall (35) have little to offer us at this stage (not that they’ve offered us much beyond the regular empty promise), which is why we look forward to life after. Their service should be forever remembered but their skill is certainly on the downturn.

30-34 ain’t all that old anyway. Sure it’s “older” but again, you take the best possible talent willing to play.

I’m confident in our moves and am looking forward to next season more than I was last.

The Oz
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Dichio doesn't have much more then a season (maybe two) left. Marshall should be replaced in some capacity, preferably as soon as possible. And we have drafted two GKs high in the past two drafts, not looking good for Sutton long-term.

I am somewhat concerned about the aging core of TFC players

upfront: Dichio 35 years old
in the middle: Guevera 33, Robinson 33, De Rosario 31
defense: Marshall 35, Brennan 32
goal: Sutton 32

That is 7 players, all likely starters, beyond 30. Could this explain the many breakdowns of last year in the last 15 minutes? Will this issue become even more significant during the upcoming season?

Like others have said, Dichio won't be getting the lions share of playing time this year which will prolly be split imo between Barret, White (when he gets healthy), and possibly Vitti assuming we get him with Ibbe coming off the bench.

Sutton will be starting for most of this year barring injury but we have two big names for hte future in Edwards and Frei.

Marshall will also be starting this year but our stocking up on forwards and the tenative deal with Vitti leads me to believe that we will be aquiring a DP CB or at least a better player at that position, but waiting in the wings we have Attakora and Wynne (yes i know the are wing backs but still).

The general idea is, Mo knows what he's doing. He's stocking up on youth for the future, which is one of the reasons I was impressed with his draft day picks because he realizes this problem you're talking about. These players aren't gonna be around for more than 4 years I would say, but now we have a younger core coming up behind. No they may not all be the best talent that we've ever seen but they can develop into great assets for TFC.

BuSaPuNk
01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I would agree, Mo has done a great job with the picks. He knew the problems that the team would have in the next 2-3 years and drafted appropriately. I'm happy the way this team is looking for the upcoming season. Great depth, great mix of young and old. All we need is a soild CB to lock up the back and a great DP striker. Those two we will be good for a while!

Yohan
01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
for GKs, 31 is not old.

There are enough GKs at late 30s play in top leagues

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2009, 10:10 PM
great thread and some great points made in here.
I think we will be ok as we are slowly building depth (as much as one can in the MLS anyways). If we were to loose our core next season at once, then yes we would be screwed but alotof those guys will trickle out and we will trickle in the youth. I do expect that alot of these guys to sick around and work for the club too.

Pachuco
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM

It's always a make or break year for management. If we improve, they'll probably keep their jobs, if we get worse (I know it's hard to) then it's probably break up time for management.

Luanda
01-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Many thanks to all for your thoughts.

Cashcleaner
01-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Look a little deeper at the roster. We have a good balance of youth and veterans.

Dichio is not a starter. He wasn't last year & won't be this year.
Sutton has real competition for the starter position with Edwards & Frei.

We have enough veterans to contribute to the development of our youthful core while still being effective on the pitch.

Robinson is co captain with Brennan. They're both natural leaders, and are effective mentors.

Youthful starters:
Wynne - 23 yrs old
Barrett - 24 yrs old
Ricketts - 26 yrs old

The Future:
Nana Attakora-Gyan - 20 yrs old
Sam Cronin - 22 yrs old
Abdus Ibrahim - 17 yrs old
Tyler Rosenlund - 22 yrs old
Johann Smith - 21 yrs old
O'Brian White - 23 yrs old

Thanks for touching on the potential future stars of TFC, JDG.

My thoughts are that Frei, Cronin, and White were three of the best 5 draftees available this year and we managed to snap up all that we wanted. White coming to Toronto was always a no-brainer, but Cronin is looking good and has plenty of kudos from his tenure with Wake Forest, and I really believe Frei has the potential to start in goal much sooner than many would expect.

Also, I think Ibrahim could really shine this year if given the confidence and support by Carver and the rest of the team. Obviously, he didn't play a lot of minutes last season, but still shows plenty of promise.

Heathen
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
TFC Aging core? they're moving the team to Kennedy & Sheppard?