PDA

View Full Version : Football For Good - (Steve) Nash Bash 2009

bdiddy
01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Good Morning;

Just wanted to let everyone know a few details of an event that occured on Saturday, January 17.

Steve Nash was in town (of course to play the Raptors), but also to toss out his idea of Football for Good. Basically the idea is to help support the people in North Uganda which has been strife with civil war/poverty/etc by building community centres, providing Football gear, training to coaches and players. To help create a self-sustaining system, to ensure these kid/young men/women have a place to go and feel safe and not need to worry about becoming child soldiers.

They are hoping that with these community centres, football centres they can help breed leadership, community support and in turn put Gulu United into the Ugandan Super League (their countries main Football league). Currently in the Super league, there is no team from Northern Uganda that's represented.

TFC was represented there by our own Rohan Ricketts, who from what I've learned, contacted Athletes for Africa (who Steve Nash belongs) and asked to attend and become a member of that organization (which is based in Toronto).

On the flip side, with the majority of Pheonix Sun players coming out to Support their teammate for this event. No Toronto Raptor players showed up, even though Chris Bosh RSVP'd.

Although Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo both attended the evenings event.

Thanks,

flatpicker
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
I caught the interview of Nash on Bob McClown's show.
My first thought was "I can't believe McClown is spending this much time talking about soccer"!
Nash discussed in great length his efforts with Football for Good.
It sounded like a good cause...
Of course he also talked about the Van. soccer bid too.
Whenever I hear Steve Nash talk, I'm always aware of what a good speaker he is.
He's a class act.

ensco
01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
If Nash wanted to be Prime Minister of Canada, I think he could pull it off. I can't think of a single hockey player I would say that about.

bdiddy
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah he's a very smart and well spoken guy, he's going to be on Conan O'Brian on Tuesday night as well,

jabbronies
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
If Nash wanted to be Prime Minister of Canada, I think he could pull it off. I can't think of a single hockey player I would say that about.

wayne gretzky?

Beach_Red
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
wayne gretzky?

I'd vote for Georges Laroque before Gretzky ;).

A few hockey players could have made serious runs for it, Jean Beliveau, Serge Savard, but there aren't too many these days.

felipe
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Wendel Clark is the only name that comes to my mind

devioustrevor
01-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Then again how many NHL players have University Degrees?

At least Nash is a graduate from Santa Clara University, don't know how well a sociology degree would translate into politics though.

Razcle
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Dougie....vote for DOugie

onemanbarmyarmy
01-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Wendel Clark is the only name that comes to my mind

Are you Toller Kransten in disguise?!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2009, 06:26 AM
George St Pierre
Hes got some foreign affair policies and has been quite vocal in the past about softwood lumber

TFC07
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
wayne gretzky?

Mario Lemieux :)

bdiddy
01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Elisha Cuthbert?

neuf
01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Ken Dryden

S_D
01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Then again how many NHL players have University Degrees?

At least Nash is a graduate from Santa Clara University, don't know how well a sociology degree would translate into politics though.

According to an article I read somewhere, only 40% of our MP's have any post secondary education so he would already be miles ahead of most of them :D

FluSH
01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Good Morning;

Just wanted to let everyone know a few details of an event that occured on Saturday, January 17.

Steve Nash was in town (of course to play the Raptors), but also to toss out his idea of Football for Good. Basically the idea is to help support the people in North Uganda which has been strife with civil war/poverty/etc by building community centres, providing Football gear, training to coaches and players. To help create a self-sustaining system, to ensure these kid/young men/women have a place to go and feel safe and not need to worry about becoming child soldiers.

They are hoping that with these community centres, football centres they can help breed leadership, community support and in turn put Gulu United into the Ugandan Super League (their countries main Football league). Currently in the Super league, there is no team from Northern Uganda that's represented.

TFC was represented there by our own Rohan Ricketts, who from what I've learned, contacted Athletes for Africa (who Steve Nash belongs) and asked to attend and become a member of that organization (which is based in Toronto).

On the flip side, with the majority of Pheonix Sun players coming out to Support their teammate for this event. No Toronto Raptor players showed up, even though Chris Bosh RSVP'd.

Although Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo both attended the evenings event.

Thanks,

Great effort here...

None of the Raptors have shown up this entire year so it doesn't surprise me =P

Anyhow... next time RSVP our President and he'll show up as long as there is beer... :drinking: