PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Jan.19

denime
01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Mornin'

Hot Stove: 2009 MLS Superdraft Floor edition
By Allen Hopkins

Trader Mo, where did you go?

Toronto FC GM Mo Johnston has been a notorious draft-day wheeler and dealer, earning the appropriate nickname "Trader Mo." From his days in New York to his current stint in charge of TFC, Johnston has not been afraid to pull the trigger on blockbuster draft-day deals. So the logical thinking was Johnston would surely get an itchy trigger finger and deal at least one of TFC's three first-round picks.

Read more (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=610168&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901)

Two more cities out of running for MLS expansion teams

And then there were five.
The Vancouver Whitecaps' competition for two Major League Soccer expansion teams by 2011 just got even thinner. Originally there were seven cities that submitted bids, which dropped to six when Montreal's was rejected by the league.
Now the Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that the Atlanta group, headed by NFL Falcons owner Arthur Blank, has withdrawn its bid ". . . primarily because we didn't feel we would be able to complete a public/private partnership arrangement in the timeframe necessary to build a soccer stadium by 2011," said Blank.

Read more (http://www.theprovince.com/Sports/more+cities+running+expansion+teams/1186113/story.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

BuSaPuNk
01-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Morning D! Good and bad to hear about the Atlanta bid. Good so Vancouver has a better chance to get in. And really what are we the NHL bringing in teams that won't work. I would rather see the leauge bring in teams that will work...a la TFC, Seattle.

Lucky Strike
01-19-2009, 08:21 AM
That second headline is kind of deceiving: "Two more cities out of running for MLS expansion teams" implies two cities have dropped out of the race AFTER Montreal did, not including Montreal; we've known that for a long time.

Anyway, not surprised or disappointed about Atlanta dropping out, it's not like they had a chance anyway.

Stouffville_RPB
01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Good morning,

After last week do I dare check the SSG this morning?

Stouffville_RPB
01-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Couldn't resist. Better than week, that's not saying much though.

ensco
01-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Amado converted a PK last night in a friendly against Chile (wish he'd done that against SJ!)

Nice win for Honduras

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=Av8xd8inWbMaUqav8MArp.Amw7YF?slug=ap-honduras-chile&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oldtimer
01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Something that hasn't been posted yet.
AEG (owner of the Galaxy) are starting a women's club, the "Los Angeles Sol." True to form, they have signed their first big star:

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Brazilian forward Marta, who won her third FIFA Women's World Player of the Year award for her 2008 heroics, will join the Los Angeles Sol of Women's Professional Soccer for the upcoming season.
Marta, who turns 23 next month, led the Brazilians to the 2007 Women's World Cup final in China, where they lost to Germany, and silver-medal finishes at the 2004 and 2008 Olympics. She most recently played for Umea IK of Sweden.
"Of course I am sad I am leaving, but I am happy because a new project is beginning. It is time to start something new," Marta said.
Trying to light a football spark in America similar to what England's David Beckham attempted with the Los Angeles Galaxy, Marta will try to revive US pro women's soccer six years after the Women's United Soccer Association folded.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iLETNb0p0BDz81XO5uQ3Bl9m8lvQ

Wiki on the Sol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Sol

They'll be sharing the Home depot Center with the Galaxy and Chivas.

.J.B.
01-19-2009, 08:41 AM
SSG - Child-Bearin' hips

Oldtimer
01-19-2009, 08:52 AM
With St. Louis out, Vancouver now has a good chance for that second spot.
Will Canadian sponsors step up, and make it a "must do" for MLS?

Razcle
01-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Today's News = old news.....thanks for the posting anyways. Have a great day y'all

Flipityflu
01-19-2009, 09:28 AM
SSG - Child-Bearin' hips

now thats my kind of SSG. my favorite in a while.

Nodoubtguy
01-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Sad to hear about Atlanta, but I guess good for Vancouver.

As I really don't see Ottawa as a real contender, I think Vancouver has a good chance to get a team. On the flip side I think Miami is a lock with the Barca Connection, and Portland and St. Louis seem like very strong choices so that could easily mean 3 US teams.

Cashcleaner
01-19-2009, 10:01 AM
It's looking more and more likely that Vancouver will be getting one of the next two franchises. I think that given what the Whitecaps can offer and their current level of exposure and support, he's going to have to bit the bullet and award another club to a Canadian city. At the moment, it really just makes sense.

rocker
01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
ya I don't consider ottawa an equal to those other bids. they are just there to keep it interesting.
really it's 4 teams: Vanny, Portland, Miami, St. Louis.
none perfect, all with questions. So Vanny has a 50% chance now.

gmacpheetfc
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Barce Miami comes in place of Philly and Portland and Vancouver get in, in 2011

Mojo
01-19-2009, 10:24 AM
With St. Louis out, Vancouver now has a good chance for that second spot.
Will Canadian sponsors step up, and make it a "must do" for MLS?

Where does it say STL is out?

CretanBull
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

That swimsuit...that hair cut...blue eye liner....OMG did I wake up in 1975?!?!?

Lucky Strike
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM

That's what I was wondering.

Beach_Red
01-19-2009, 10:45 AM
That swimsuit...that hair cut...blue eye liner....OMG did I wake up in 1975?!?!?

Took 19 pics to see a tat - it IS a time warp.

BFin
01-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Ya, this one is acceptable due to her not having a completely hideous face, however her winter tan, and winter pounds leave me once again, only 50% fulfilled.
This is depressing, I am running out of ways to make fun of these choices.

denime
01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Carver pleased with added depth

Coach expects competition for places

Toronto FC Coach John Carver believes the success of the club at the MLS SuperDraft in St. Louis last week will help create a healthy competition for places within the squad. The Reds drafted midfielder Sam Cronin, forward O'Brian White and goalkeeper Stefan Frei in the first round, and also selected Mike Grella and Kyle Hall in the third round. ...

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090119&content_id=212945&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

rocker
01-19-2009, 11:08 AM

the only thing i've heard in recent days about STL was Garber once again questioning how deep their owners' pockets are, and then the owner/organizer actually implied they weren't as deep as some of the other candidates, but that they were deep enough for MLS.

I still think this is a factor for Garber. If they balked at the fee (the way Montreal did) they'd probably be tossed by now.

Chewy Unikronik
01-19-2009, 12:12 PM
SSG - Child-Bearin' hips

For giving birth to string noodle kiddies??? :D

jloome
01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Tomorrow's is a hottie, if you like the artificial, stripper type (and lord, I do.). Bikini blond with big fake ones and a yankee flag string bikini

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Miami and Ottawa the only Real choice left...:canada: for the folks in Vancouver better luck next time, and please leave BC Place out of your

plans, MLS does not need a washed up cfl trash bin.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2009, 10:53 PM
HAHAHAHA
still on that Ottawa trip hey?
never
going
to
happen

Roogsy
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
LMAO!

Too true Oss...