PDA

View Full Version : Johann Smith *not* on trial in Europe

DigzTFC!
01-17-2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/01/17/1065819/toronto-fc-midfielder-johann-smith-on-trial-in-croatia

Toronto FC midfielder Johann Smith is currently on trial with Croatian club NK Rijeka, a league source has told Goal.com's Kyle McCarthy

can't blame him...but god damn it. We better get a significant transfer (1-2 million)

Keyman
01-17-2009, 06:31 PM
FUCK
This is terrible news if you ask me. I know people are torn on his ability, and what his contribution will be this season, but I was expecting him to break out.

Broadview
01-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Is he out of contract right now or locked up for next season? Maybe this might explain why Seattle took the "wrong" Smith.

CretanBull
01-17-2009, 06:33 PM
^ I agree, I think he looked good and was expecting him to have a really good season for us.

Razcle
01-17-2009, 06:41 PM
As mentioned. You can't blame him for going after more money. If it works out then we get a little transfer fee. If not, then we get him back as a player. This league is going to be a revolving door league for players until we can afford to pay them what they are worth on the open market.

BFin
01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Sad to lose from a "what could be" standpoint, but based on last year, im not overly concerned. He wasn't going to start, and if we bring in a "south american" striker he wouldn't even have been the first reserve. So not a massive loss, and hopefully we get some cash out of it.

rocker
01-17-2009, 08:17 PM
i don't understand this... he's unhappy with his contract $$$? but he chose to come back to MLS just last year and signed a contract for that privilege. weird. strange that he'd sign at that dollar amount and then just months later want out.. unless he was just looking for some summer employment.
I'd like to hear more on this story from someone closer to him. i'm not a fan of the guy personally as I've said in other threads, so I wouldn't be gutted if he was gone.

RedRum
01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Even if Seattle knew Crazy Legs was looking across the pond, they still would have been better off taking the cash/allocation the transfer would get them rather than take Mullet Smith.

denime
01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
In that case this is where he is practicing right now,can't complaint Adriatic Sea right there,Italy 1 hour drive,and I'm sure he will get better money than in MLS.
I'm sure he will enjoy to practice on turf field in the background :reddevil:

http://i44.tinypic.com/23jr9ds.jpg

Cambridge_Red
01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
This kind of sucks.. the guy has tons of potential.

mednus
01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
i don't understand this... he's unhappy with his contract $$$? but he chose to come back to MLS just last year and signed a contract for that privilege. weird. strange that he'd sign at that dollar amount and then just months later want out.. unless he was just looking for some summer employment.
I'd like to hear more on this story from someone closer to him. i'm not a fan of the guy personally as I've said in other threads, so I wouldn't be gutted if he was gone.

This sounds like almost every footballer anymore. They sign a contract then want to look for a better deal with another team right away. Maybe Mr. Smith thinks HE is World Footballer of the Year!

BFin
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
This sounds like almost every footballer anymore. They sign a contract then want to look for a better deal with another team right away. Maybe Mr. Smith thinks HE is World Footballer of the Year!
I hope not, or else he's more delusional than a RedBulls fan thinking they will ever be awesome.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Gotta admit i was psyched for him this year as i think it would have been a huge break out year, im not surprised hes leaving us and i wish him good luck if its true, i do think that if things do work out he will want to come back to us even tho he was here only a short time. I also think, like others, he wouldnt have had the playing time he needs and deserves this season. Once again i dont think he thinks he is footballer of the year but is like any of us, wants to do what he loves for more money, the prospect of playing in another country is a great one (especially with football). Its unfortunate that we may not benefit from his talents.

Stryker
01-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Can't say I blame him.
Tough for a man to be comfortable in Toronto on $47,666.67 a year.
Assuming he's single and doesn't have the benefit of a spouses income.
That said, I thought he had alot of raw talent and was hoping he'd excel this year.

TorCanSoc
01-17-2009, 10:12 PM
I thought he'd tear it up in MLS. I'm with others, I think he'll have a break out year.

Razcle
01-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Does anyone think Johann came back to the US thinking he was good enough to start in the MLS and possibly make a case to be a part of the US National team that should be going to World Cup in South Africa 2010?

And because he has seen the quality of play in the MLS means he is a bench player until he gets some more control in his game. This is the feeling I get with this kid, but I have no facts to support it. Anyone else thought about this?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2009, 11:01 PM
i agree with the second part, cant say i have read or seen anything to agree to the first

Damien
01-17-2009, 11:20 PM
He might just be trialling to keep in shape... just a thought.

DigzTFC!
01-17-2009, 11:31 PM
In Croatia? That's a pretty long distance to go to stay in shape. If he leaves, I want at least 350-500K in allocation coming back our way. Not a big lost my opinion. He was way too raw to start and needs a tone of work to get his game under control.

If Toussaint Ricketts comes back to MLS I'd rather develop him. Also, Kyle Hall played well for our U-23 team. Not many saw that because all the games were streamed. I think him and Gala could push for a spot at the very least as late game appearances

Thats all assuming Mo doesn't bring in Ishmel Demontagnac or Keon Daniels who are out of contract and rumored to be on TFCs radar (very old rumors).

J .
01-17-2009, 11:47 PM
No biggie, we need someone who can do it, not could. I would be happy with some cash for him. If he sticks around, good, likely a sub for our squad which I would be just fine with. But he likely doesn't fit into the starting future of TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-18-2009, 12:14 AM
not yet, i think he had potential for it.
He definitely had to work on his on the ball skills, i feel he was quite similar to wynne, obviously athletic but not necessarily great as far as skill but still young enough to learn

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Ishmel Demontagnac’s trailing with Charlton, so I think it’s unlikely we’ll see him here anytime soon.

If Smith does go, I’d really like TFC to give Gala a chance. I’ve watched both Gala and Smith play for TFC, admittedly neither has played a huge number of minutes, and I’m not convinced that Smith’s particularly far ahead of Gala. Another option is playing Ibrahim wide left, he played their once or twice as a sub. and started the game against Independiente there.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-18-2009, 01:29 AM
yeah, id definitely love to see Gala get some time if Smith leaves, Ibbie is ok on the wing, i still much prefer him up front, admittedly i dont know much about training but id be a little worried that if you play him too much there he wont amount to much in either position (he does have a great head for the sport so he could also amount to alot)

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-18-2009, 02:42 AM
I agree 100% with regards to Ibrahim, the team should try and play to his strength which appears to be at striker / centre forward. You see lots of players who can supposedly play centre forward and the wide positions, but most look lost at their weaker position.

It always feels like the team is taking one step back for every step forward they take. Everyone’s always bashing Mo, but it must be very hard to build a squad when all your players are constantly engineering moves to other teams.

trane
01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I realy do not care, either way other then speed I have not seen alot of of promise from him, speed alone does not a football player make. He may develop. But I am not lossing any sleep over this.

GeorgeB
01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
In that case this is where he is practicing right now,can't complaint Adriatic Sea right there,Italy 1 hour drive,and I'm sure he will get better money than in MLS.

http://i44.tinypic.com/23jr9ds.jpgdont forget the short drive to Opatija to party lol.i doubt we would get more than $ 500,00 euros in transfer money for him

rocker
01-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I realy do not care, either way other then speed I have not seen alot of of promise from him, speed alone does not a football player make. He may develop. But I am not lossing any sleep over this.

but won't you lose sleep over missing all those stepovers!??!?! ;)

I won't lose sleep if he goes either. He is very very raw and needs a lot of work. He's still young, so he has promise in that sense... but i dunno..

C.Ronaldo
01-18-2009, 02:02 PM
mo picked him up to sell him

if he was a big piece to the puzzle, he would have gotten more starts in those games that didnt mean much at the end of the season

ben_vw
01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
mo picked him up to sell him

if he was a big piece to the puzzle, he would have gotten more starts in those games that didnt mean much at the end of the season

There was only one that didn't mean anything, and he started that one.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Can't say I blame him.
Tough for a man to be comfortable in Toronto on $47,666.67 a year.
Assuming he's single and doesn't have the benefit of a spouses income.
That said, I thought he had alot of raw talent and was hoping he'd excel this year.

god there are players making less, much less and getting by......let him go
if al he is interested in is money!!

Troll
01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Is Yohan responding to rumours on facebook? His latest status update;

Johann Smith - is home in conneticut, the tri state, the east coast, the united stated of america, the western hemishphere, and have not left since the end of the season.....

You be the judge... :noidea:

dantdot
01-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Well so much for that, I had an inkling it was BS.

Torcida
01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I heard that Rijeka doesn't want him..

MrHawk
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Rijeka does not need any more MF's, with Sharbini staying, Strok, and Pamic as their man 3. (I can only see them keeping him, if they sell Sharbini)

And I think Kantrida is a natural grass stadium, their pitch is one of the worst in Croatia right now (Behind Subicevac in Sibenik)

MrHawk
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

I don't think Rijeka has the money to pay that much for a trial player. How much was he getting here?

Torcida
01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't think Rijeka has the money to pay that much for a trial player. How much was he getting here?
$45,000.

MrHawk
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
27,000 Euro's..............

Makes sense, I retract my statement.

Yohan
01-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Is Yohan responding to rumours on facebook?
:noidea:

TFC OZZ
01-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I was expecting Smith to have a big season. I'd be sad to see him go.

Stryker
01-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Tribal Football and MLS Rumors have picked up the rumor.
Same thing said here, not happy with salary.

dantdot
01-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Tribal Football and MLS Rumors have picked up the rumor.
Same thing said here, not happy with salary.

Two junk sources, I wouldn't read much into that, especially since he says he hasn't left the country.

Lucky Strike
01-19-2009, 08:43 AM
27,000 Euro's..............

Makes sense, I retract my statement.

Euros vs. Dollars or even British Pounds actually doesn't matter. Suppose Johann Smith moves to the Eurozone and makes 47000 Euros as opposed to 47000 US here. Yes, comparatively that's more money but everything he's going to purchase is also done in Euros (i.e. greater salary but greater expenses). For instance, a burger at the restaurant here is 9-12 dollars depending on where you go. That same burger will also be 9-12 Euros. But the cost of living is also greater: there are many things that, if they don't have the same numerical price, it is actually greater. Fuel for instance is one of those items. So that doesn't give him any advantage, unless he plays in Europe, lives in the US for some reason and makes the trip back and forth for every game and practice. Not really feasible or intelligent. What really matters is the numerical amount of currency (whatever it is) he'll be making.

Lucky Strike
01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
FYI - contrary to reports, he is not on trial in Europe.

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/01/19/6655.aspx#comments

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
There ya have it

Shaughno
01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Edit the title please. :)

"Johann Smith turned down trial in Croatia"

Big Bruva
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
As mentioned. You can't blame him for going after more money. If it works out then we get a little transfer fee. If not, then we get him back as a player. This league is going to be a revolving door league for players until we can afford to pay them what they are worth on the open market.

Exactly, thi league will not get anywhere near the top leagues until they sort out the salary cap amongst other things. A lot players that i speak to that are not near the end of their careers just see it as a stepping stone and find the league weird lol

Stryker
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Exactly, thi league will not get anywhere near the top leagues until they sort out the salary cap amongst other things. A lot players that i speak to that are not near the end of their careers just see it as a stepping stone and find the league weird lol
So ummmmmm... whats up with the Rohan Red Bulls thing? :p

Big Bruva
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I have contact with Johann like every other day and as far as i know he has been in Conneticut with the fame the whole time and should be coming back to T.O at the end of this month.

You really see how some people switch when a rumour comes out lol wow

BFin
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I find it hilarious that he has been home all summer, and yet somehow, some moron in the media decided he was now on trial in Europe.
Maybe try calling the player, or better yet...doing any sort of investigation into your story.

Stryker
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I have contact with Johann like every other day and as far as i know he has been in Conneticut with the fame the whole time and should be coming back to T.O at the end of this month.

You really see how some people switch when a rumour comes out lol wow

Not switching a thing Big Bro. Just throwing it out there to see if you'd have anything to say about it.

dantdot
01-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I find it hilarious that he has been home all summer, and yet somehow, some moron in the media decided he was now on trial in Europe.
Maybe try calling the player, or better yet...doing any sort of investigation into your story.

Even Sports Illustrated just picked it up based on goal.com, there people are clueless.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/01/19/smith.croatia/

Pigfynn
01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
So ummmmmm... whats up with the Rohan Red Bulls thing? :p

Ya, what's the deal with that?

BFin
01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Hahahah wow sports illustrated...wow.
I wish they had a truth and rumors section for MLS on SI, as I love the T&R for all the other sports.

trane
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM

Agreed. The current strucutre is problematic in many ways. At least some way for some teams, like Toronto, which are on beter financial footing to opt out of the salary cap, with a penatly perhaps(revenue sharing), as it hinders the development of the market.

Beach_Red
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Agreed. The current strucutre is problematic in many ways. At least some way for some teams, like Toronto, which are on beter financial footing to opt out of the salary cap, with a penatly perhaps(revenue sharing), as it hinders the development of the market.

Like baseball. Sure, but would MLSE do it?

Seattle and LA, maybe.

Pachuco
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
THis is great news that Johann decided to stay with Toronto. I'm really exited about this guy taking the starting role in left wing this year.

boban
01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Euros vs. Dollars or even British Pounds actually doesn't matter. Suppose Johann Smith moves to the Eurozone and makes 47000 Euros as opposed to 47000 US here. Yes, comparatively that's more money but everything he's going to purchase is also done in Euros (i.e. greater salary but greater expenses). For instance, a burger at the restaurant here is 9-12 dollars depending on where you go. That same burger will also be 9-12 Euros. But the cost of living is also greater: there are many things that, if they don't have the same numerical price, it is actually greater. Fuel for instance is one of those items. So that doesn't give him any advantage, unless he plays in Europe, lives in the US for some reason and makes the trip back and forth for every game and practice. Not really feasible or intelligent. What really matters is the numerical amount of currency (whatever it is) he'll be making.
I guess you haven't been to Cro.