PDA

View Full Version : Marco Velez, To Break The MLS In 2009

[NBF]
01-17-2009, 06:06 PM
:canada:Lets go Marco, Lets Go! Prove all the nay sayers wrong!

Marco Velez, to have his debut as a headline in the Major League Soccer (MLS) in 2008 is not enough.

Now, the only active Puerto Rican in MLS seeks to establish himself in major league soccer and the U.S. To achieve this, could not be better.

The Toronto FC held the defense had the option to return to the campaign that begins March 19 with the clash between Red Bull New York and the Seattle Sounders.

Yesterday, Velez met with several of his former colleagues from the Puerto Rico Islanders and under the supervision of coach Francisco Llanos, held a workout in a gym to Carolina in preparation for when they report to preseason camp club at the end of this month.

"I have to train well because I want to get there (to Toronto) and surprising to see that I am a dedicated person. I have been working because I want to stay in the team and as owner, "Velez said in an interview with FIRST TIME.

Velez, who played with the Islanders from 2005 to 2007, took the leap to MLS last year and was set piece in the defense of Toronto FC, which was 9-13-8 mark and not advanced to the postseason. He started 23 of 30 games until the club and scored two goals.

"The team gave me a chance and, with my effort and dedication, I achieved the title and, in turn, be comfortable in the team. I'm fine and happy to get crazy again and work on my second season, which I think will be better than the first, "he added.

However, when his last contract year, the footballer of 28 years admitted he feels some kind of pressure to do a good job. In fact, revealed that upon learning that would stay for another season, has had no communication with management regarding the club's future plans.

"Lucia well in my first year, but now I have a second in little more pressure to look better. It's my second year and I can not do less. I'm very motivated and eager for the season and I know that I will work hard because that is my ethics and my style of play. I am hoping to have a better season to prove I deserve to stay in the league, "said Velez.

Toronto FC opens its 2009 season March 21 at Kansas City.

Link: http://www.primerahora.com/noticia/futbol/accion_deportiva/a_reventar_la_mls/264081

Jack
01-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Good for him. He's primed and ready for the season and wants to make his mark in MLS.

Razcle
01-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Well the translation is kind of butchered...but it sounds like the kid wants to fight for his spot. I am all for it. I hope everyone comes to the club with this attitude.

Red CB Toronto
01-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Marco will open up a lot of eyes this year.

Yohan
01-17-2009, 06:25 PM
i bloody well hope so

he owes us a lot for a lot of shambolic performances last year

i'll give him some credit though. he's got a lot of heart and love for the game. plus he's aerial ability is pretty darn good

Jack
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I read the article in Spanish.

He's been working out and working hard. He's determined to prove that he belongs and fight for a starting spot.

Whether he can do it or not remains to be seen, but he's defninitely coming in with the right attitude.

I remember a conversation I had with him in Columbus last year and he said he loved what the supporters brought and was overwhelmed to see the travelling support. He said he definitely feeds off that energy. That's all I remember. I was pretty drunk in Columbus :D

ensco
01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
The guy knows he's playing for his job in training camp. Fine.

But I don't like it when players "[have] had no communication with management regarding the club's future plans". (Assuming that's true and not a hiccup in the translation bot!)

Any player deserves a conversation from Mo and/or Carver about management's year end evaluations, their expectations for next year, where mgmt specifically needs to see improvement in the player's performance at camp, etc.

It's just basic courtesy, management 101 stuff.

rocker
01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
i thought they did year end meetings with all the players?
Chad Barrett mentioned he had one with Carver and seemed to imply they all did it.
They all got training plans from Winsper too.

Jack
01-17-2009, 06:38 PM
The guy knows he's playing for his job in training camp. Fine.

But I don't like it when players "[have] had no communication with management regarding the club's future plans". (Assuming that's true and not a hiccup in the translation bot!)

Any player deserves a conversation from Mo and/or Carver about management's year end evaluations, their expectations for next year, where mgmt specifically needs to see improvement in the player's performance at camp, etc.

It's just basic courtesy, management 101 stuff.
It says that they haven't really discussed the future beyond next season.

It says they haven't had communication about that particular subject, not that he hasn't had any communication or evaluation from management.

Be very careful about reading too far into automatic translations guys :D

Nuances and subtleties in languages are very different and expressions can have whole different meanings. It even varies from region to region in Latin America.

If you need any help interpreting an article, just ask Flush or me or someone who speaks the language fluently.

ensco
01-17-2009, 06:43 PM
It says that they haven't really discussed the future beyond next season.

It says they haven't had communication about that particular subject, not that he hasn't had any communication or evaluation from management.

Be very careful about reading too far into automatic translations guys :D

Nuances and subtleties in languages are very different and expressions can have whole different meanings. It even varies from region to region in Latin America.

If you need any help interpreting an article, just ask Flush or me or someone who speaks the language fluently.

OK thanks. As you saw in my post, I thought that might be true.

Jack
01-17-2009, 06:44 PM
OK thanks. As you saw in my post, I thought that might be true.
No worries :D

Keegan
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM

With his amazing first touch or blazing speed?

dupont
01-17-2009, 06:55 PM
This is a nice article. To be honest he didn't blow me away last year but I love to see people working hard and really giving it their all for the team. Sometimes that hard work can pay off and we might see him really play a lot better this year.
Here is to hoping!

poppamidnight
01-17-2009, 06:59 PM
good to see some motivation in him after he went AWOL for a good part of the season last year....

Seems like he chalks this up to a prep/training issue,

which i guess is good to hear...

lets just hope in truth it's not a confidence issue

Cuz if he goes AWOL again, i get the feeling it could be his last go-round with Carver...patience runs thin afterall

dantdot
01-17-2009, 07:03 PM

Yes, the attackers eyes will open wide when they realize they're alone in front of the goal. I kid...or maybe not.

Jack
01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
The thing is...early on I saw some good signs. Things obviously took a downturn during the course of the season.

Given the effort he puts in, I'm willing to give him another chance.

Stencils
01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Good for him. As Jack said, this is definitely the right attitude to have. It can make all the difference and I'd love to see him continue to improve and become what he wants to be in this team, this league, and the world because of it.

Great work, Marco!

BFin
01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I really hope you've been training with him all summer and know more than us.
Otherwise, terribly unfounded comment. He can't get much worse than he was last year for us, so how can he open more eyes?

Beach_Red
01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
good to see some motivation in him after he went AWOL for a good part of the season last year....

Of course, the whole team went AWOL for the middle of the season last year - let's hope that doesn't ever happen again.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2009, 09:45 PM
one thing about Velez is that he could never be questioned as far as intentions and effort went, that believe it or not goes quite a long way, itll be a huge part of him learning the MLS game, i hope that he can step up his game and kill it as CB this year.
my fingers are crossed for you Marco

TorCanSoc
01-17-2009, 10:00 PM
The guy is built like a brick shithouse. He should take a batch of yellow cards next year, and pulverize some strikers. I would love to see him crush Landycakes.

Roogsy
01-18-2009, 12:41 AM
I want good things for Marco. I was disappointed with some of his performances, but I hope he improves and fights for a starting spot.

Workie
01-18-2009, 01:58 AM
I read the article in Spanish.

He's been working out and working hard. He's determined to prove that he belongs and fight for a starting spot.

Whether he can do it or not remains to be seen, but he's defninitely coming in with the right attitude.

I remember a conversation I had with him in Columbus last year and he said he loved what the supporters brought and was overwhelmed to see the travelling support. He said he definitely feeds off that energy. That's all I remember. I was pretty drunk in Columbus :D

Marco "BLOW THE FUCKING WHISTLE REF!"

And my support has been unwavering ever since.

scooter
01-18-2009, 03:00 AM
yes lets hope to see some good things from the lad
somewhat lackluster season last year
but what a header

Shakes McQueen
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
The whole team was shambolic for a while last season. I see the off-season as an opportunity for guys like Velez to "reset" - spend several months training and working on your problem spots, and come back with a clean slate.

But mark my words, if he plays the way he did last season, I have no doubt he will be shipped out of town quickly.

I'm perfectly willing to give the guy another look, but that red card he got himself, in an important match where we were terminally undermanned, and he was wearing the armband - oh man, I wanted Carver to stick him in a wooden crate and ship him back to Puerto Rico.

- Scott

kelzag
01-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Marco "BLOW THE FUCKING WHISTLE REF!"

And my support has been unwavering ever since.

That was so great and also marked the beginning of my infatuation with him as well. Gotta love that Latin fire! Now hopefully it can translate into a solid season for him.

RedsYNWA
01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
The boy has heart I like him as a started...HHMMM..he has to work harder
Reminds me of Hyppia in the air though

Yohan
01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
The boy has heart I like him as a started...HHMMM..he has to work harder

Or get a better footy IQ

dannyd
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
i bloody well hope so

he owes us a lot for a lot of shambolic performances last year

i'll give him some credit though. he's got a lot of heart and love for the game. plus he's aerial ability is pretty darn good

You know, I don't understand this attitude from supporters towards Velez, while Sutton is talked about like the sun shines out his ass. As I recall, Sutton made more mistakes last year than Velez, many of which cost us points in the dying minutes...

I think Velez deserves a starting spot in the middle of our defense. I guess I'm in the minority, but Sutton and our wing backs worry me more than Marshall and Velez.

Lucky Strike
01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I shit on Marco Velez a lot last year because quite frankly, he deserved it. I'd still rather get someone else to man the centre than him, but if there's no one and he's the guy, well I'd be willing to see how it works out, for him to start fresh in 2009.