PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy tries again for Del Piero

Roogsy
01-17-2009, 12:42 AM
For real...the Galaxy need to stop trying to become a junior version of "The Galacticos".

Besides...we all know he should come to Toronto! :D

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/86270-galaxy-chasing-juventus-star?eref=fromSI

Azerban
01-17-2009, 12:43 AM
i hope we never employ an italian ever, if only to piss giambac off for all of eternity

Roogsy
01-17-2009, 12:47 AM
:lol:

Damien
01-17-2009, 01:25 AM
You can't argue Del Piero wouldn't make an impact. The guy's incredibly talented.

No i'm not from woodbridge. (parkdale, shut up:D)

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Del Piero will not be coming.
Dude wants to finish his career at Juve AND they dont have a second DP.

Damien
01-17-2009, 01:58 AM

I agree he won't be coming. Though i'm sure if LA wanted a player of Del Piero's skill they'd appeal to bend the rules a lil for losing Donovan.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2009, 02:00 AM
also id love to know when the league started paying for transfer fees iao 32 million or whatever they say they will pay

Pachuco
01-17-2009, 02:32 AM
If Galazy wants Del Piero, I'd say let them have him. It can only do more good to this league, oh and that would leave Galaxy absolutely no money to sign anyone else, which to me would mean they'd be in the same position as last year. Donovan scored a shit load of goals last year, Del Piero would probably score around the same.

Did I mention that I'd fucking love to see Del Piero play live at BMO field?

Chevy
01-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Not likely. Juve's owner recently mentioned that he wouldn't sell him, even for 120M

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Not likely. Juve's owner recently mentioned that he wouldn't sell him, even for 120M
Was just going to mention this. Del Piero is the symbol of Juventus and among their greatest players ever, it's going to be tough to get him out of there before 2010 at any rate.

And anyway, I can't see him at LA. He belongs in Toronto.:canada: On the flip side, though, the prospect of playing with Del Piero would definitely keep Beckham around for a few more years.

CretanBull
01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
i hope we never employ an italian ever, if only to piss giambac off for all of eternity

Hahaha!

Del Piero almost doesn't count as an Italian though - he's universally loved - he's become more of a 'world' player than an Italian player. It also helps that a lot of Italians hate him for not producing for the national team.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Hahaha!

Del Piero almost doesn't count as an Italian though - he's universally loved - he's become more of a 'world' player than an Italian player. It also helps that a lot of Italians hate him for not producing for the national team.
I think I had an argument with someone on here on that topic... He has been a disappointment on the international level, no doubts there, but the only tournaments where he was a starter were the '98 World Cup, where he was carrying an injury and should have been playing as a substitute (no reason to start a striker who's not fully fit when you've also got Vieri, Baggio and Inzaghi to pick from), and Euro 2000, where I admit he played poorly. For the role he's played at other tournaments, coming on as a late sub and rarely being used, it's irrational to blame him for the team's failures.

Also, every recent Italian manager, save for Zoff and Lippi, has favoured an 'old-school' Italian strategy, bore the life out of the fans and your opponents and sit in front of your area. I'm still pissed at Cesare Maldini for his moronic tactics at France '98, you've got three of the best strikers in the world in Vieri, Del Piero and Baggio, and you play as if the idea of the game is to keep the ball in your own half for as much time as possible. And it's not as if the likes of Costacurta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Nesta, Pessotto and Bergomi are incapable of defending without the help of all the other players on the pitch, either.

I know trane would disagree with me here- as during my lifetime the defensive strategy has never worked, but in earlier tournaments it was effective- but I don't know why so many Italian managers favour a defensive approach when they have so much attacking talent at their disposal.

CretanBull
01-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I didn't mean to suggest that Del Piero's reputation was deserved, only saying that a lot of Italians feel that way about him. I'd LOVE to see him in Toronto. If I could watch him play every week, they could double the price of my season ticket and I wouldn't care (mind you, I have the cheapest season ticket rate!).

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-17-2009, 08:41 AM
It'd be great to see him play at BMO for sure. Unfortunately though I had to pass on half-season's because at the time I had quite literally no money... :(

billyfly
07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
DEL PIERO PENS NEW JUVE DEAL

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5438250,00.html

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 11:53 AM
DEL PIERO PENS NEW JUVE DEAL

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5438250,00.html

shit, too bad!.....growing up a Juventino, Del Piero is a god for us.....I'd love to see him put on the TFC red one day, but it looks like he's staying in Torino. The criticisms for his play on gli Azzurri is fair, but sometimes too harsh, but he has been a model of a player throughout his whole career....class through and through.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Agreed. He's one of my top 3 favourite players.

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Agreed. He's one of my top 3 favourite players.

yep, he's probably my favourite all time (him and Baggio are 1 and 1A depending on the day). For as much as Capello basically treated him like shit when he was managing Juve, Alex never said boo, and did his job when called upon (and was rewarded by Lippi with a spot in WC'06).....soccer skills aside that spoke volumes about his character. In my mind he is everything you want in a leader.

Oldtimer
07-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Del Piero will come to LA!

... in 2020. :lol:

C.Ronaldo
07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
baggio?

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/05/31/2006-05-31__sports01.jpg

guess where that ball's going

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 01:02 PM
^ so what? that is the opinion of people who know nothing about the sport and only watch it once every four years. Anybody who knows anything about soccer knows that Baggio contributed to the sport, and its a damn shame that the missed PK in WC'94 is what he is highlighted for, and also a shame that he was not celebrated more because the Italian media basically ostracized him when he converted to Buddhism.....

LCB
07-17-2009, 01:14 PM
^ so what? that is the opinion of people who know nothing about the sport and only watch it once every four years. Anybody who knows anything about soccer knows that Baggio contributed to the sport, and its a damn shame that the missed PK in WC'94 is what he is highlighted for, and also a shame that he was not celebrated more because the Italian media basically ostracized him when he converted to Buddhism.....

Fucking right he did... plus he smoked 2 cigarettes a day, which is pretty cool too.

I'd be torn about seeing Pinturiccio in such a terrible jersey, versus seeing him play in living form on the quasi-regular. Tough one.

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Fucking right he did... plus he smoked 2 cigarettes a day, which is pretty cool too.

I'd be torn about seeing Pinturiccio in such a terrible jersey, versus seeing him play in living form on the quasi-regular. Tough one.

Not even tough for me.....seeing Del Piero in TFC red would be like a dream....I wish!!

ps.....the zebra stripes are sick!! :D......always liked the AC Milan shirts though.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
We'd get along pretty well, my number one is also Baggio. :drinking:He doesn't get his due, that's for sure, and all because of one penalty he missed- while carrying a hamstring injury no less. Baggio played with a style and grace that is unique, and obviously he had an amazing set of skills. Free kicks, corners, crosses, finishing, passing, dribbling, he could do it all in attack. In my opinion he defined the number 10 role in Italian football.

In fact, I've been searching for a while for a long-sleeve no. 10 Juve shirt from his days there but haven't got one yet... :(

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 01:37 PM
We'd get along pretty well, my number one is also Baggio. :drinking:He doesn't get his due, that's for sure, and all because of one penalty he missed- while carrying a hamstring injury no less. Baggio played with a style and grace that is unique, and obviously he had an amazing set of skills. Free kicks, corners, crosses, finishing, passing, dribbling, he could do it all in attack. In my opinion he defined the number 10 role in Italian football.

In fact, I've been searching for a while for a long-sleeve no. 10 Juve shirt from his days there but haven't got one yet... :(

I think we would :):stogey: nothing more to add there, you said it all. As far as the hamstring goes, to be honest, I never believed it was as bad as people thought....I always thought it was more a ploy by the Italians to keep Brazil guessing. I say the reason for him not getting his due had more to do with the conversion to Buddhism....this was a huge deal in Italy.....kinda like turning his back on the country (read: the "establishment"....Vatican....etc.). Only when he had his successful stint with Brescia, did the media herald him once again, almost like the "prodigal son".....but by that time it was alread too late to glorify his past accomplishments as it was too late in his career and the media had such a hard on for Totti at the time.

I have a Juve shirt from the Upim days (early 90's) that would look nice with a name and number but I can't find anyone who will do it proper, and it does not even come close to fitting anymore!

mmmikey
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Not even tough for me.....seeing Del Piero in TFC red would be like a dream....I wish!!

ps.....the zebra stripes are sick!! :D......always liked the AC Milan shirts though.

that's cause deep down every juve fan knows they should be milan fans!!! ;)

baggio was pure class though. amazing player.. loved watching him play even in his last days at brescia. it really is unfortunate he will never live down that PK. maldini never did get that WC.. :(

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
that's cause deep down every juve fan knows they should be milan fans!!! ;)

baggio was pure class though. amazing player.. loved watching him play even in his last days at brescia. it really is unfortunate he will never live down that PK. maldini never did get that WC.. :(

hahaha....unlikely!

yes its true on both points....but iirc, Maldini was offered a spot on the '06 team but declined to give way to the new generation....

oh well back to topic....Del Piero in a TFC shirt.....its a dream, but will probably never happen.....but he would destroy MLS.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM
^I actually prefer the Danone one from 92-93 ish, I've found ones without a number but I have my heart set on no. 10. ;)

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
^I actually prefer the Danone one from 92-93 ish, I've found ones without a number but I have my heart set on no. 10. ;)

yep, they're all nice except for one of the Fastweb years ('03 I believe) where the stripes stopped about 3/4 of the way down and there was a white "bib" on the bottom.....looked hideous....but I bought one of those too, of course! lol

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
haha, nice. :D I actually didn't mind those too much, one of my friends who is Czech had one of those with Nedved on the back.

I also own a Milan shirt I should add, I picked up a Shevchenko one from 2003-ish for $25 a couple months ago. Though I hate to admit it, Inter have had some really nice shirts over the years as well.

TFC Tifoso
07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
yeah I have a Nedved one too from the year they had the red away jerseys (05/06)....those are beeeeauties! :cool:....oh yeah, I've always liked the shirts of the big 3....all rivalries aside, its not even a hate that I have for the Milan teams....I actually respect their skill, but I enjoy when Juve beats them!.....I only have hate for Roma....anything about that team makes me puke! :D

even Nedved has been rumoured to come to MLS......that's a good pick up for any team!!

ok, we've taken this thread waaaaaaaay off topic now lol

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
The only Italian teams I can say I really hate are Lazio and the two Verona teams, and that's because of their fans. I somewhat dislike Inter but I don't really hate them. Roma I don't mind too much actually, and they also always have really sharp shirts, same with Fiorentina.

CretanBull
07-17-2009, 04:39 PM
^ Lazio defintely have the worst fans - total assholes.

TFCforever87
07-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Exuse me :facepalm: Cant beat the Lazio fans!

CretanBull
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Exuse me :facepalm: Cant beat the Lazio fans!

Yeah, what's not to like about this bunch? :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/lazio_fans050410.jpg

trane
07-31-2009, 02:06 PM
I think I had an argument with someone on here on that topic... He has been a disappointment on the international level, no doubts there, but the only tournaments where he was a starter were the '98 World Cup, where he was carrying an injury and should have been playing as a substitute (no reason to start a striker who's not fully fit when you've also got Vieri, Baggio and Inzaghi to pick from), and Euro 2000, where I admit he played poorly. For the role he's played at other tournaments, coming on as a late sub and rarely being used, it's irrational to blame him for the team's failures.

Also, every recent Italian manager, save for Zoff and Lippi, has favoured an 'old-school' Italian strategy, bore the life out of the fans and your opponents and sit in front of your area. I'm still pissed at Cesare Maldini for his moronic tactics at France '98, you've got three of the best strikers in the world in Vieri, Del Piero and Baggio, and you play as if the idea of the game is to keep the ball in your own half for as much time as possible. And it's not as if the likes of Costacurta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Nesta, Pessotto and Bergomi are incapable of defending without the help of all the other players on the pitch, either.

I know trane would disagree with me here- as during my lifetime the defensive strategy has never worked, but in earlier tournaments it was effective- but I don't know why so many Italian managers favour a defensive approach when they have so much attacking talent at their disposal.

hahahahah. I will not get into it. I think we have too many stikers not enough defenders, and are playing too offensice, at least since after 2006. hhahahahha

I love Del Piero, and I am a Milan supporter. But the guys is class. Lets leave the no Italians on TFC stuff. By the way I am not sure if you noticed but Vitti and Dichio are Italian last names. Just saying.

trane
07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
The only Italian teams I can say I really hate are Lazio and the two Verona teams, and that's because of their fans. I somewhat dislike Inter but I don't really hate them. Roma I don't mind too much actually, and they also always have really sharp shirts, same with Fiorentina.

Agreed. THere is a fierce rivalary with Inter in Milano, but I do not hate Inter, and outside of Italy I tend to support all Italian teams, for the most part.

Hitcho
08-04-2009, 06:26 PM

LOMBARDOOOOOO!!!!! :hump:

werewolf
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, what's not to like about this bunch? :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/lazio_fans050410.jpg

Equally as pitiful as these twats

http://www.livornocalcio.it/tifosi/curve/curvanordbig.jpg

CretanBull
08-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Equally as pitiful as these twats

Equally? Really?

boban
08-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for coming out and informing us of the situation LAG is in better than the Galaxy themselves. ;)