PDA

View Full Version : The Goalkeeper Poll - Cuz your stuck at work on Friday with nothing better to do!

T.Reis
01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
So while you count down the hours to the weekend.....

What will become of our goalkeeper situation.

PS - File this one under: A poll created because it's the off-season and there's nothing better to do TFC Related.

T_Mizz
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Where's the poll?
I say Sutton

Parkdale
01-16-2009, 12:08 PM
internet poll fail.

Stryker
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Found your pole for you.

http://www.cosgroveaircraft.com/newmarketimages/471-6-12POLE.JPG

DOMIN8R
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
A poll with no poll? This thread is going to get very funny very fast.

Parkdale
01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
there's a poll now.

Pachuco
Make them all play for the starting role in pre-season. The odd man out gets the sack.

Stryker
Telescopic one at that.

T.Reis
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
how the hell did u people reply on the thread without me submitting it yet?

Was it a glich in the matrix?

T.Reis
01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
anyway, If we do deal someone I wonder how much value Edwards has, cuz Sutton ain't got any (espically having to take up an international spot) but Frei will have the most value.

Question is.....any team out there looking for a young keeper to step in right away? maybe Dallas?

DOMIN8R
01-16-2009, 12:38 PM
how the hell did u people reply on the thread without me submitting it yet?

Was it a glich in the matrix?
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/flashImages/matrix-glitch.jpg

Stryker
01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
http://images.lamer.net/matrix-glitch.jpg

Matrix pic fail!

DOMIN8R
01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Matrix pic fail!

This is getting interesting. FIXED! I will stop contributing the highjacking of this thread now.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/flashImages/matrix-glitch.jpg

Stouffville_RPB
01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
ur right i do have nothing better to do.

i voted sutton/ frei >>>> edwards

Oldtimer
01-16-2009, 01:05 PM
You don't replace your #1 unless you've extensively tested your backup.

I said Sutton in net, Frei on the bench and trade Edwards (who takes up a US spot and uses up cap space).

Fort York Redcoat
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Why expect more from a rookie Keeper? Edwards needs time to develop as any back up does.

MUFC_Niagara
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
So while you count down the hours to the weekend.....

What will become of our goalkeeper situation.

PS - File this one under: A poll created because it's the off-season and there's nothing better to do TFC Related.

LOL....well done mate, the title of this thread is so true....

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Frei as starter...Edwards backup and Sutton send on his way back to the Impact.
Suttons days are nearing and end anyways, so go with the youth movement.

T.Reis
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
i wonder if openly questioning Edwards work-ethic a couple of times last year will come back to hurt Mo in the trade market.

Eastend
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Where's the option for all out competition and you start the one that wins, keep the 2nd, and release/trade the third?

Eastend
01-16-2009, 01:58 PM
http://exquisiteflower.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/pole-dancing.jpg

jabbronies
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM

I said Sutton in net, Frei on the bench and trade Edwards (who takes up a US spot and uses up cap space).

I'm with you on this one.
Edwards got way too many bad comments about his training and work ethic. He either:
A. Doesn't really care about playing here
B. Is just a lazy player who made it this far on the little bit of natural talent gifted to him.

supernothingman
01-16-2009, 02:03 PM

Agreed.

TFC07
01-16-2009, 02:13 PM
How about we wait and see how Frei performs in professional level before thinking about trading him or Edwards (I highly doubt TFC would trade Sutton).

olegunnar
01-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Sutton needs to go.
$160K is far too much to pay for him, or for any MLS kepper for that matter. Give the extra $$ to DeRo.
And keep the $46K goalie and the GA Goalie.

Technorgasm
01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
EDWARDS is PANTS

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2543929208_02d14e36af.jpg?v=0

=

http://www.vtzlawblog.com/colorful%20pants.jpg

T.Reis
01-16-2009, 02:43 PM
How about we wait and see how Frei performs in professional level before thinking about trading him or Edwards (I highly doubt TFC would trade Sutton).

I see a few people think we should wait and see how each guy does but if we do that and a keeper doesn't play well then we ain't going to get much for them in return.

Yohan
01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Sutton needs to go.
$160K is far too much to pay for him, or for any MLS kepper for that matter. Give the extra $$ to DeRo.
lulz

let's stick with one of those emergency keepers in net instead!

Super
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Sutton needs to go.

If you consider the amount of games he kept us in the game last year I'd say he's worth every dime.

alexintoronto
01-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Frei!

Razcle
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Frei costs us nothing. Lets give him a chance to develop before we pack anyones bags. He could be a huge bust. Let's see what this kid can do before we make any drastic changes between the pipes.

AL-MO
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I would like to see a tandem of Sutton and Frei. Then trying to trade Edwards. I am worried that Edwards has little value on the trade market though.

olegunnar
01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
lulz

let's stick with one of those emergency keepers in net instead!

I'm busy so I'll just give you the link

http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

I encourage you to go there and peruse the salary information.

It might give you some added perspective on the salary ranges for MLS keepers.

Or you can search on my posts. I remember a few months ago when I bored I went through it. If my memory is correct Sutton is the 3rd or 4th highest paid keeper in the league!!!

That agent guy McClean must have some really good dirt on Mo.

Yohan
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm busy so I'll just give you the link

http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

I encourage you to go there and peruse the salary information.

It might give you some added perspective on the salary ranges for MLS keepers.

Or you can search on my posts. I remember a few months ago when I bored I went through it. If my memory is correct Sutton is the 3rd or 4th highest paid keeper in the league!!!

That agent guy McClean must have some really good dirt on Mo.
now i have 4 eyes, so i could be reading this wrong, but other than Coundoul, MLS starting GKs earn approx 150,000 which is what Sutton is making:noidea:

ensco
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm surprised that only 15% think Sutton should go. I would have thought it would be higher.

olegunnar
01-16-2009, 03:12 PM
now i have 4 eyes, so i could be reading this wrong, but other than Coundoul, MLS starting GKs earn approx 150,000 which is what Sutton is making:noidea:

Jon Busch CHI $80K
Coundoul CRapids $33K
Hesmer KKKrew $70K
Sala Dallas $130K
Z Wells DCU $53 K
Cronnin LAG $75K
Rimando RSL $95 K
Conway NYRB $115K

Every single one of those are guys are equal to or better than Sutton.

And the guys that get paid the same or more than Sutton have paid their dues and earned it. Like Hartman, Onstead and Cannon. They weren't USL to big bucks keepers.

Yohan
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Jon Busch CHI $80K
Coundoul CRapids $33K
Hesmer KKKrew $70K
Sala Dallas $130K
Z Wells DCU $53 K
Cronnin LAG $75K
Rimando RSL $95 K
Conway NYRB $115K

And the guys that get paid the same or more than Sutton have paid their dues and earned it. Like Hartman, Onstead and Cannon. They weren't USL to big bucks keepers.
I suppose rating GKs are subjective, but I'm not sure I agree Rimando, Conway and Wells are better than Sutton.

But hey, if you think you can find a keeper better than Sutton for around 100k per year, you're the GM ;)

T_Mizz
01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I voted to trade Frei but not because I hate him or love Edwards, I did so because you won't get nearly as much in a trade with Edwards as opposed to Frei

TOBOR !
01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
this thread failed the moment it got on topic

Oldtimer
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm surprised that only 15% think Sutton should go. I would have thought it would be higher.

That's because that 15% produce 95% of the posts about Sutton.

rocker
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Sutton is my starter. But I wouldn't trade Edwards or Frei. Looks like Monsalve is gone, so our third stringer is gone. We have room for all three.
You don't want to play Frei too much since if he became a regular he'd lose his GA status, and to start him and see if he could compete all year is a gamble. I'd rather not gamble. But I'm not sold on Sutton either. Still, I'd like to see how he'd do with a better defense in front of him.
Edwards I like, but haven't seen enough to be sure.
It's a nice bonus to have all three when injuries are surely to hit.

Cashcleaner
01-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Good Poll, T. Reis!

Keep Sutton in as starting GK and have Frei and Edwards fight it out in front of Carver. I'm certain that Sutton has got at least two more years as a starter with Toronto, depending on his health.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I have this feeling that Frei will be Sutton's eventual replacement.

Jeffro
01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Sutton is not going anywhere, I'll guarantee that, and I've been told that "a couple" of teams have already inquired about Edwards' availability. I reckon Edwards is good trade bate since he's a developing keeper who's also American... and maybe a more long term investment as opposed to Frei who is pegged to head overseas in a couple years.

Zidane10
01-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Sutton had better stay for the sake of the team. Edwards plays Sutton's style but is worse, and since we don't really need him as back-up to Sutton anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him traded. Frei is as good a back-up keeper as we'll need.

RedRum
01-16-2009, 11:47 PM
My vote would be to start whoever plays best come March.

I think Frei will be dealt though. With the allocation dollars we have to spend Mo will be going for it this year, especially if he thinks the cap will be raised for 2010.

Frei is apparently coveted by several teams, he could land us something nice via trade.

nascarguy
01-17-2009, 04:16 PM
http://exquisiteflower.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/pole-dancing.jpgnow that sir is a good poll

ensco
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Since exactly zero people (out of 143) have picked this scenario, I now predict this will happen:

Starter: Edwards, Bench: Sutton, Traded/Reserve: Frei

backbeat
01-18-2009, 12:51 PM
i didn't vote for any of them!!

keep all three - decide mid-season what to do based on how they play and injury status. at that point if need be trade for either a draft pick, depth or to fill a need that has shown itself throughout the first half.

Cambridge_Red
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Sutton can make some fantastic saves but can also make some monumental goolies. Case in point Chivas away. I love that hes fairly local... but if he was to go I wouldn't be too upset. His ball distribution is inferior to dowsy Edwards. I hope this new kid gets a fair chance.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Frei as starter, Edwards as the second keep.....find a taker for Sutton (Chivas and San Jose need keepers...so Mo play lets make a deal and move Sutton for a 1st or 2nd rd pick,

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
01-19-2009, 07:43 AM
sutton hands down , he is the best in the air and one of the best shot stoppers in the league, Remember our D is shit..... he can be inconsistent but hey he is still at the top .......actually come to think of it he is one of the most natural goalies ive ever seen in the air, not that its hard for him..... Giant....:noidea:

Tintin
01-19-2009, 08:04 AM
sutton hands down , he is the best in the air and one of the best shot stoppers in the league, Remember our D is shit..... he can be inconsistent but hey he is still at the top .......actually come to think of it he is one of the most natural goalies ive ever seen in the air, not that its hard for him..... Giant....:noidea:

Really! I actully think that it is one of his weaknesses. He drops balls and he is often out of poition during set peices like Corners. He is a good shot bocker but n th air????

SQUIRREL
01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I like Sutton. He made great saves against LA away, DC away, but in saying that why not give Frei the starting job. Scouts said he is MLS ready (I know they say that all the time) and young lets get some use out of him while he's here. Frei then Edwards. I don't think Sutton has much longer in his career. What has he done...I mean he brings experience I'll give you that, but he's not an all-star, he plays for Canada so he misses TFC games (but when he goes to play for Canada he's third string so in other words technically he doesn't play for Canada of TFC when he goes). I like Sutton, I do but he was our goalie for two years I think it's time to go younger, but clearly I am very much out numbered...lol.

Plenty of Trout
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
It seems we must trade whoever has more value.

jloome
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Jon Busch CHI $80K
Coundoul CRapids $33K
Hesmer KKKrew $70K
Sala Dallas $130K
Z Wells DCU $53 K
Cronnin LAG $75K
Rimando RSL $95 K
Conway NYRB $115K

HAHHAHA, Zach Wells, Steve Cronin and Nick Rimando are equal to Sutton? Dude, you don't watch much MLS. Rimando is arguably equal but has been on the slide since leaving DC (although he was ok in our first year); Cronin and Wells couldn't start in the USL.

Busch and Hesmer were both relative "discoveries" last year, in that Busch had been written off by most of the league (including us, we had him for about a week) and Hesmer was a rookie as a starter. So expect their salaries to go up dramatically.

Coundoul has gone to Europe this year, so his low pay certainly wasn't enough, was it? And Conway was injured.

So realistically, you have one guy in Sala who is probably better than Sutton and, therefore, suggests we are overspending.

hrvat87
01-27-2009, 01:57 AM
sutton-1,edwards back up...FREI...reserves...he's still young and must devleop