PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC Radio Broadcasts

Marco2K
01-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey everyone i was just hoping that perhaps mlsintoronto could help us out.

How is it that Toronto Fc is going into its third season and we still dont have a radio broadcaster.

Fan 590
talk 640

Anyone.

Not sure what the rating would be like but i am sure it would really help the game grow.

Thoughts??

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Radio?/ lets try and get proper tv coverage first... do people still actually listen to Radio anymore? with most TFC games spread all over the TV map,
how any fans would listen to radio games?

canadian_bhoy
01-16-2009, 01:59 PM
TFC would love it - They have a room in the booth and everything! It's the stations that need to see the value in the broadcast.

Marco2K
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Radio?/ lets try and get proper tv coverage first... do people still actually listen to Radio anymore? with most TFC games spread all over the TV map,

U serious? people dont listen to the radio??

Dumbass

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-16-2009, 02:15 PM

Dumbass

with cds in cars and portable ones...why listen to radio? if you want news you have tv...if you want sports...tv....radio is no longer important as a
media outlet.

AL-MO
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
with cds in cars and portable ones...why listen to radio? if you want news you have tv...if you want sports...tv....radio is no longer important as a
media outlet.

How about the people who can't be at the game, and can't watch on TV ?

TFCREDNWHITE
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
media outlet.

Tell that to Sirius and XM.... :p

AL-MO
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
media outlet.

I think the prefered mode of listening to music is a MP3 player anyways....

Eastend
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

I listen to radio at least as much, if not more, then I watch TV.

tfcmanu
01-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Cottage country no cable in some places why not radio.

ganzo_thebest
01-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Well think about it......if you are at the game and you want to listen to the play by play!!!....you will have quite a few people that would be good for that....not the boys at the supporter seccion though...we too busy singing!!! :hump:

Razcle
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Driving...on a weekend day....kind of hard to watch tv...Why do you think Leafs/Jays/Raps games are on the radio? Because people obviously still listen to radio.

Yohan
01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Driving...on a weekend day....kind of hard to watch tv...Why do you think Leafs/Jays/Raps games are on the radio? Because people obviously still listen to radio.
question is whether there are enough interest in numbers to actually listen to TFC game on radio

i could never get into a game on radio. it's just weird visualizing instead of seeing

Razcle
01-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Well that is definitely your opinion. However whenever you have no access to TV....Radio is a hell of a lot better then the match tracker. Think of all the times you dont have access to TV including at work. You almost always have access to a radio at some capacity. You can even steam radio at work where video usually is always blocked.

my 2€

James Oliphant
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=852

ensco
01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Not many MLS teams have radio coverage. I know DCU does, but I think there are only one or two others.

I wonder if CBC Radio 2 could try a simulcast (ie put the Nigel and Jason feed on), as a way of limiting production costs.

egoodwin
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
you know some people who are unfortunate enough not to have access to a tv or internet at work during a TFC game still need the radio and would listen to it on the radio

pretty stupid that people disregard a good idea because they have a stupid belief that radio is not listened to anymore

egoodwin
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
have you ever listened to EPL on Fan 590 on Sat morning?

Parkdale
01-16-2009, 03:25 PM

I was just going to mention that one. I've listened to it a number of times
and I think it's most as good as watching a match, provided it's not a game
you really care about (or know the outcome). I think listening to sports on
the radio is just a timeless activity. Right now there's nowhere I'd rather be
than on a cottage dock on an August day, with a cool beer and a game on the radio.

note: I can only tolerate baseball on the radio or live.

olegunnar
01-16-2009, 03:41 PM

I wonder if that's sort of a trial balloon.

Yes of course it's programming unto it self but I bet if and when the idea of TFC games on the radio gets brought up, someone will say..."is it viable? what were the listener numbers for the EPL game of the week, did we make money off of that"?

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-16-2009, 05:14 PM

never knew it was on...the price you pay for not listening to radio anymore i guess.. The Toronto Blizzard (NASL) had their games on radio
for the first couple of season on Johhny lomardi's station...it never was a big time event.

Cashcleaner
01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Well think about it......if you are at the game and you want to listen to the play by play!!!....you will have quite a few people that would be good for that....not the boys at the supporter seccion though...we too busy singing!!! :hump:

I do that quite a bit for baseball if I'm sitting way up in the nosebleeds. Its actually quite cool, though I don't know how feasible it is for soccer at BMO Field.

Marco2K
01-16-2009, 05:50 PM

What do u think?

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Dumbass
The ignore feature is handy.;) To me, mightytorontofc2008 hasn't existed for a few months.

For the record, I would love to hear TFC on the radio. Would give a lot more exposure to the team and for games I wouldn't normally be able to get to or see on TV it'd be great.

Marco2K
01-16-2009, 07:47 PM
When i drive i never listen to CDs.

TorCanSoc
01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
^ Dumbass? That's a bit harsh. Radio is a great suggestion. I'd imagine it would be fairly cheap? I'd listen at the games 100% for sure.

...cheap to set up I mean.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-16-2009, 07:53 PM
^ Dumbass? That's a bit harsh. Radio is a great suggestion. I'd imagine it would be fairly cheap? I'd listen at the games 100% for sure.

...cheap to set up I mean.

instead of streamers:eek: being thrown on field...radios would go flying

jloome
01-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Not many MLS teams have radio coverage. I know DCU does, but I think there are only one or two others.

I wonder if CBC Radio 2 could try a simulcast (ie put the Nigel and Jason feed on), as a way of limiting production costs.

Columbus, DCU, Chivas, Los Angeles, Real Salt Lake, Kansas City, San Jose, New England, Dallas (spanish only) all have play-by-play radio.

In fact, the only teams that don't are Colorado, Chicago, Toronto and New York.

I respect the logic behind the earlier suggestion that radio, as an antiquated media form, has no future. But it's also not true; radio is booming. Accessible anywhere, listenable to while driving and featuring variety and talk.

ilikemusic
01-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Radio?/ lets try and get proper tv coverage first... do people still actually listen to Radio anymore?

People with jobs do.

Keyman
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Radio will slowly come back into "style" as the quality of television continues to erode. I think it (TFC) will be an avenue that radio stations will consider exploring very soon.

C.Ronaldo
01-16-2009, 11:02 PM
i listen to talk radio on the drives and internet radio at work.......it will never die

Blizzard
01-17-2009, 01:01 AM

It is absolutely awesome!!!!!

It has a buzz. Much more exciting than any of the domestic sports broadcasts on The Fan. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

greatwhitenorf
01-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Radio's BRILLIANT!!

I'd listen to it live at games or have it on dockside when I choose to skip a live game and enjoy the cottage. And I would expect to hear a decent pre-game buildup and a post-game analysis and phone in show. Solid four-hour block of airtime about my team in my town. First choice for announcer...

"Hello, friends. Jerry Howarth here and you can stick your Toronto Blue Jays up your Obus Formed ass as we settle in on this balmy June evening for the first of a four-game home stretch over the next two weeks..."

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-17-2009, 08:02 AM
"Hello Canada, and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland. The score at the end of the first period is..."

:D

On the topic of footy on the radio, though, I note with some dismay that Chin radio seems to have stopped broadcasting RAI's Tutto Il Calcio Minuto Per Minuto on Sundays. Which is a real shame, because the Italian commentators on that show really bring it to life.

ensco
01-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Columbus, DCU, Chivas, Los Angeles, Real Salt Lake, Kansas City, San Jose, New England, Dallas (spanish only) all have play-by-play radio.

In fact, the only teams that don't are Colorado, Chicago, Toronto and New York.

I stand corrected!

nfitz
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Montreal Impact games are on the radio - home games at least. In both French and English. It was quite useful, as I was in the Laurentians for the last Montreal-Toronto game - though I did look a little odd sat in the car for 2-hours, as it was the only radio that could get decent reception ... :)

rocker
01-17-2009, 01:43 PM
i haven't listened to the radio in 8 years.

werewolf
01-17-2009, 01:44 PM
even the whitecaps have their games on radio.

Marco2K
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM

I think its time i use the ignore feature. Damn!!

rocker
01-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I think its time i use the ignore feature. Damn!!

wow, you have a problem with me not listening to the radio for 8 years?
hahah.

who are you, Foster Hewitt?? ;)

Mark in Ottawa
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
As I told Nigel Reed I got a real charge out of being able to listen to an EPL game on the FAN590 while driving down the 401 to a TFC game last year. There is a market, maybe a bit small, but if the rights are not too expensive to start it might be a go.

I know that some of the sports bars and sporting good stores play sports radio broadcasts from time to time.

In this media age they also have the opportunity to simul-cast over the Internet and via satelite radio. So some people far far away can follow TFC. The more fans you empower the better your odds of keeping them interested.

Mark in Ottawa
01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Not via the Internet while surfing?
Never while stuck on the bus or travelling?

Hmmm... what happened 8 years ago? :rolleyes:

Sonny Cheeba
01-17-2009, 03:41 PM
the sounds that are picked up on radio seem to be so much more intense than what's broadcast on television.

i love listening to matches on the radio.

TorCanSoc
01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm no engineering tech, so ask this from ignorance. Can you just have some way to use CBC's play by play so that you pick it in and around the stadium?

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-17-2009, 05:54 PM

god its been15-20 years for me....the radio went the way of the edsel.

20legend
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I work for a radio station. TFC has explored it since they announced a team. It's just too expensive for stations to broadcast, with little return. It's hard to sell advertising when there is very little opportunity during games. Meanwhile, at the same time, MLSE would charge a lot of money for the broadcasting rights. Also, anyone take a look at the number of TV viewers? The numbers would be a lot lower for radio broadcasts, in my opinion. Unless MLSE decides to lower their broadcasting rights fee.. I can't see it happening anytime soon, which sucks because I do listen to 590 here and there for the Saturday morning games, and I enjoy it.

Another thing, CBC has axed their Blue Jays broadcasts this summer, which will give them more opportunities to broadcast TFC live a lot more often.

AL-MO
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM

I listened to two NFL games and a Raptors game on Sunday. (I was traveling to a family gathering and back)

Radio is definitely dead. :rolleyes:

GuelphStorm2007
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Radio will never die. It is very popular form of media. I will love to see TFC home broadcasts on cbc tv while simulasting on cbc radio 2 I t wouldnt hurt to try.

Razcle
01-20-2009, 10:19 PM

You must walk around with ear plugs then, because many public places broadcast the Radio in their area. But living in Brantford you probably walk around with a brown bag over your head. :D j/k

CenturySam
01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
i love listening to games on the radio. i have lately been listening to more leaf games on the radio than on t.v. (it's more exciting that way!) and a little canadian flavor would help a little as well, maybe a french-newfy auctioneer doing play by play for TFC matches on CBC radio. CBC dropped the jays, so maybe they may be interested with TFC.

gtaguy
01-20-2009, 10:42 PM
i love listening to games on the radio. i have lately been listening to more leaf games on the radio than on t.v. (it's more exciting that way!) and a little canadian flavor would help a little as well, maybe a french-newfy auctioneer doing play by play for TFC matches on CBC radio. CBC dropped the jays, so maybe they may be interested with TFC.

would love to think that but just like many companies they are shrinking down expenditures. footy in toronto still has a way to go, and we as hell are not recession proof eigther...

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
You must walk around with ear plugs then, because many public places broadcast the Radio in their area. But living in Brantford you probably walk around with a brown bag over your head. :D j/k

Toronto might...buts thats to keep the citizens preoccupied from normal living. But like the post said a few back, radio is not interested in TFC, which is good...want to see TFC go in person.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I work for a radio station. TFC has explored it since they announced a team. It's just too expensive for stations to broadcast, with little return. It's hard to sell advertising when there is very little opportunity during games. Meanwhile, at the same time, MLSE would charge a lot of money for the broadcasting rights. Also, anyone take a look at the number of TV viewers? The numbers would be a lot lower for radio broadcasts, in my opinion. Unless MLSE decides to lower their broadcasting rights fee.. I can't see it happening anytime soon, which sucks because I do listen to 590 here and there for the Saturday morning games, and I enjoy it.

Another thing, CBC has axed their Blue Jays broadcasts this summer, which will give them more opportunities to broadcast TFC live a lot more often.

cbc axed the Jays.....:D:D:D maybe my feeling toward cbc will get better now!!

zamperina
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Apparently the Fan590 is getting good ratings for the EPL games on Saturday mornings according to comments made my the station manager a couple of weeks ago on McCown's show.

Parkdale
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
radio = free (well a small one time cost of buying the radio)
internet streaming = not free (not even if you steal wireless, you're computer still cost real $$$)
television = not free (as not all games are on CBC that can be picked up on antenna)

Parkdale
01-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a little radio like this in my kitchen.

http://www2.panasonic.com/static/models/rf-2400.jpg

It's always on when I'm cooking, cleaning, getting lunch made for work.... all that kitchen stuff.
It cost me like $20 a few years ago and I still haven't had to change the batteries.

Radio is great.

Marco2K
01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
I listen to alot of radio. I streat the Fan 590 alot.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I constantly have the radio on Q107... Not a fan of talk radio aside from sports broadcasts, but yeah.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Apparently the Fan590 is getting good ratings for the EPL games on Saturday mornings according to comments made my the station manager a couple of weeks ago on McCown's show.

ah but the MLS is not the EPL!! not yet anyways...

GuelphStorm2007
01-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I am starting to listen to radio more and more. I still listen to 102.1 and have been since the days of Pete and Geets and Fred Patterson. ETC. I sometimes listen to the Fan590. especially when Doug Farraway is on. and also CBC Radio1. I am a fan of Reggae music and there is show on CFRU 93.3 a station out of the University of Guelph. it is called the Crooked Beat. And I listen to that.when I can. Also CFRU broadcasts overnite the BBC World Service. which pretty cool .

greatwhitenorf
01-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Can't believe anyone on here hasn't mentioned the introduction of satellite radio. Huge step forward for the medium. I can get play-by-play of a lot of games from England plus post-game analysis or phone in shows from London or Liverpool radio stations right after games. Sensational.

Razcle
01-25-2009, 12:35 AM
I have a little radio like this in my kitchen.

http://www2.panasonic.com/static/models/rf-2400.jpg

I still haven't had to change the batteries.

Parkdale. You may never have to change the batteries if you keep listening in AC mode. :D