PDA

View Full Version : Dobson - Superdraft - Possible south american striker?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
He says he's got a South American striker "90 per cent locked up."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/01/15/dobson_super_draft_tfc/

Interesting.
What about our D Mo?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 09:21 PM
obviously alot of moves still to come

peter_tfc
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Heard that too many bloody times last year. Just that, 'Brazilian locked up'. Let's just say there's a guy somewhere that knows a guy who might be able to find Toronto on a map and then show up for a training or something on their way to the CN Tower.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
nah he never said they were locked up, they were either in talks or trials but never locked up or certain

Shakes McQueen
01-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Man, quite a bit of good information in that article.

- Frei could very well be our #1 between the posts this season.
- DeRo is indeed getting his contract renegotiated, but everything is going fine.
- Mo, regardless of his "90%" comment, is in fact looking outside Europe (for all of you Mo haters)
- O'Brien White is going to play for Jamaica as an international

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Ill be pretty pissed if they honestly start frei.
remember how well Edwards did last year when he started?
Let the two youngsters fight it out and rid of this keep the shirt policy.
Best first 11 always

H Bomb
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Ill be pretty pissed if they honestly start frei.
remember how well Edwards did last year when he started?

But Frei was rated better than Edwards last year as well.

Nuvinho
01-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I'd try to trade Edwards........Frei will be the replacement for Sutton.

Flipityflu
01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
moving edwards frees up cap space

MG42
01-15-2009, 09:54 PM
forget the keepers, anyone have an idea who this mystery striker is?

nimamalek
01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
forget the keepers, anyone have an idea who this mystery striker is?

Romario, out of retirement :)

Beach_Red
01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Heard that too many bloody times last year. Just that, 'Brazilian locked up'. Let's just say there's a guy somewhere that knows a guy who might be able to find Toronto on a map and then show up for a training or something on their way to the CN Tower.

He said they have a number that looks, "doable," which sounds like it's still up to the board.

Shakes McQueen
01-15-2009, 10:15 PM
He said they have a number that looks, "doable," which sounds like it's still up to the board.

The money is already paid to MLS anyway, unless he's a DP.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
good article...thanks dobson

Nuvinho
01-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Carlos Costly?? Amado's buddy.

DigzTFC!
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Is Honduras in South America? But, there is a chance Mo thinks Central America is South America. Also, that Freddy Montero (Colombian) looks like he will go to the Sounders for Pre-season

Beach_Red
01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
The money is already paid to MLS anyway, unless he's a DP.

- Scott

Yeah, he was talking about the negotiations with the South American DP striker.

Shakes McQueen
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM

Is the mentioned South American striker supposed to be a DP? I haven't heard the interview yet.

- Scott

Cambridge_Red
01-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh god MO keep your mouth shut. If it's not 100% contract signed jersey on back keep it silent...

ben_vw
01-15-2009, 10:50 PM

There was no mention at all of DP.

Roogsy
01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Oh god MO keep your mouth shut. If it's not 100% contract signed jersey on back keep it silent...

I'd have to agree with this.

Beach_Red
01-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Is the mentioned South American striker supposed to be a DP? I haven't heard the interview yet.

- Scott

I thought so, but Ben has corrected me. I guess I was just hoping ;).

adammac
01-15-2009, 10:56 PM

All 37k of cap space would be free but we don't have Frei salary on the cap due to his GA status and it also would free up a senior spot since GA players get senior roster protection.

I think that really gives Frei the upper hand but this is a similar position Edwards was in last year when he had to beat Waagner for the back-up position.

jloome
01-15-2009, 11:02 PM
He's not going to beat out Frei.

The kid is a huuggge prospect, as in, he'll be hugely heading to Europe in about season three.

But every single reporter, scout and pundit at the combine said he's totally the real deal, ready to go. Most said he looks better than Brad Guzan did when he entered MLS and he's at Villa now.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 11:20 PM
yeah Frei has been rated quite highly.
As for Costly, could be i remember him trying to get out of his contract in Poland a while bacck...

Chevy
01-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Edu can pay for the grass, Frei for the roof.

James17930
01-15-2009, 11:24 PM
He's not going to beat out Frei.

The kid is a huuggge prospect, as in, he'll be hugely heading to Europe in about season three.

But every single reporter, scout and pundit at the combine said he's totally the real deal, ready to go. Most said he looks better than Brad Guzan did when he entered MLS and he's at Villa now.

Everyone said the same thing about Julius James, too.

Just sayin'.

Marc"2L"
01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Hmm, White's going to play for TFC but wants to be capped for Jamaica.....

Could be trouble.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Hmm, White's going to play for TFC but wants to be capped for Jamaica.....

Could be trouble.

How?

Marc"2L"
01-15-2009, 11:46 PM
you mean aside from the whole lives in Toronto thing?

admittedly I don't know all the details but was there any way he could of been playing for Canada and chose not to?

Yohan
01-16-2009, 12:12 AM

admittedly I don't know all the details but was there any way he could of been playing for Canada and chose not to?
I thought White wasn't even a citizen?

Azerban
01-16-2009, 12:17 AM

Just sayin'.

no

they didn't

no one said that

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2009, 12:18 AM

Hes a landed citizen, counts as a canadian but wants to play nationally for Jamaica. Who cares who he plays for nationally so long as he puts goals in for TFC

Flipityflu
01-16-2009, 12:58 AM
i applaud him for his choice of National team.

i hope he works out here.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2009, 01:01 AM
you and me both, im pretty excited about him (with out any really good reason)

Mark in Ottawa
01-16-2009, 06:49 AM

- Scott
Mo mentioned this on the Soccer Show with Nigel Reed on January 15th.
He mentioned striker but no mention of DP.

Nigel & Bob had some conjecture as to Dero renegotiations.
An interesting interview that you can hear on the podcast of the show.

ensco
01-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Is Montero a done deal to Seattle? I only ask because every Huckerby rumour for months linked him to us, and we all know how that played out.

A 21 year old, leading the Colombian league in goals, is my idea of a good idea.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2009, 08:00 AM
yeah, ive heard that Montero is either headed to europe or to Argentina (i think).
i really dont see him coming here for pennies at seattle

Shaughno
01-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Just sayin'.

No way, JJ was rated highly as a defender but he was far from two years of big hype like Frei has been. Both he and O'Brien White have been making headlines for two full seasons now.

rocker
01-16-2009, 10:14 AM
i think he means that people have said "Frei is MLS ready" which is what people said about Julius James. Actually, the exact quote I still have imprinted on my brain, although I forget the source: "Julius James was MLS ready two years ago." hahahahah

I remember all the hype in those mock drafts about how Julius James was easily the best defender and ready to roll immediately. what bullshit that was!

Shaughno
01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
True, but still JJ didn't have anywhere near the same amount of hype and to be honest, being the best in last year's draft is pointless because realistically, it was a crapshoot for talent.

spark
01-16-2009, 11:04 AM
JJ didn't have the "hype" but was definitely rated in the top 5 by many, said to be the top defender and was touted as being "MLS ready". Frei is being touted as "Going to Europe in 5 years" - James didn't get that acclaim.

OMY - Costly went to a Polish club with a stadium of 6,000 or something like that. Don't know if SBI has archives but it was reported there.

And Honduras is not in South America.

Shaughno
01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
JJ didn't have the "hype" but was definitely rated in the top 5 by many, said to be the top defender and was touted as being "MLS ready". Frei is being touted as "Going to Europe in 5 years" - James didn't get that acclaim.

OMY - Costly went to a Polish club with a stadium of 6,000 or something like that. Don't know if SBI has archives but it was reported there.

Top 5 in that draft year yes. That draft year was by far the shallowest talent pool of the 3 that have happened since we've been in the league, and many past years as well.

Just because he's the best that year, doesn't mean he's anywhere near as good as the top defenders from other years.

spark
01-16-2009, 11:19 AM
"MLS ready" is not a term that is used based on the depth of the draft or in comparison to someone else. It means what it says - that the player is developed enough to play right away in MLS.

gtaguy
01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
yeah, ive heard that Montero is either headed to europe or to Argentina (i think).
i really dont see him coming here for pennies at seattle

In an interview yesterday he stated that if talks with real betis of spains la liga are not finalized by the 31 of january that he will join the sounders.. However there is alot of money being thrown around for this guy and sadly i think he will end up in Europe somewhere..

Marc"2L"
01-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Hes a landed citizen, counts as a canadian but wants to play nationally for Jamaica. Who cares who he plays for nationally so long as he puts goals in for TFC

So I guess what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander...

JDG2 has been in Holland since he was a kid and chose to play for KNVB.

O'brian white is a landed citizen calling this place his hometown and wants to play for Jamaica. Somebody we might have to play against during WCQ.

JDG2 was dumped on here, O'brian is not.

shwade
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
So I guess what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander...

JDG2 has been in Holland since he was a kid and chose to play for KNVB.

O'brian white is a landed citizen calling this place his hometown and wants to play for Jamaica. Somebody we might have to play against during WCQ.

JDG2 was dumped on here, O'brian is not.

I don't think we have to worry about WCQ anymore.
Plus White was born in Jamaica and lived there till he was 16 and has been in America for the last 3 years. It'd be nice if he chose Canada but I don't think it's fair to compare him with JDG2 who has only been playing in the Netherlands and comes back to Toronto every holiday and only chose to play for them because of the glory.

Marc"2L"
01-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't think we have to worry about WCQ anymore.
Plus White was born in Jamaica and lived there till he was 16 and has been in America for the last 3 years. It'd be nice if he chose Canada but I don't think it's fair to compare him with JDG2 who has only been playing in the Netherlands and comes back to Toronto every holiday and only chose to play for them because of the glory.

I just read the CP article about him being selected. Moved as a teenager. I can see how one's heart might be in two places. Throw in having to deal with the CSA and all is forgiven.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2009, 06:55 PM

HAHA
honduras is definitely not south america but canada is not america either
just thinking people might have their geography confused, seems to be common in this sport

gmacpheetfc
01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
JDG2 won't get a bloody cap for Holland

arsenal
01-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Dumping Sutton clears 3 times as much cap space :)

ginkster88
01-16-2009, 09:31 PM
re: O'Brian White.

He has capped for Jamaica at U-15, U-17 and U-20. I don't think that there was ever any question where he would be playing (ie. a public X country/Canada situation), like the cases of Hargreaves and JoDG. The kid has been Jamaica since he was 15, so I think it's a completely different situation.

Damien
01-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Did anyone catch this report?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/01/toronto_fc_very_close_to_signi.html

Johnston, though, is looking farther afield in his quest to improve the team’s attacking options.

“I’m very close to signing a South American striker.” he explained “The negotiations are underway, I believe we’re at a number which is doable – and hopefully we can get him on board. After that, a defender - I’m done and I’m going home”

He didn’t elaborate on who that player might be but perhaps his scouting trip to the Southern Hemisphere at the back end of 2008 is about to bear fruit.

torfchamilton
01-17-2009, 04:24 PM
maybe Martin Palermo?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Could be, Palermo has been linked with Columbus (spit) only cuz hes tight with GBS. They, however, do not have the cash to pay for him. Im highly doubting that GBS would put a good word in for us. I mean theres always outside factors, im just being a debby downer. Great find none the less.