PDA

View Full Version : The Commissioner's Blog: RE the officials & Montreal expansion

Lucky Strike
05-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Interesting stuff. Don't know if it's better here or in the news section though. Oh well, move if necessary.

http://web.mlsnet.com/commissionerspeaks/

Angelo1405
05-23-2008, 07:22 PM
everyday, it seems like i like steve nash more...i fear st louis might be the next club, it has potential to be a failure, just like chivas usa & kansas is but all we can do is hope for montreal...

flatpicker
05-23-2008, 07:31 PM
while I like that the Commissioner doesn't mind passion from the coaches on the bench, he did seem to give some backhanded jabs at Carver, implying that he spoke inappropriately to an official.

I like all the talk about Montreal and Vancouver. Could Nash be thinking about investing in the Whitecaps expansion?

dupont
05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I like all the talk about Montreal and Vancouver. Could Nash be thinking about investing in the Whitecaps expansion?

It definitely sounded promising. Especially the part about Montreal sounded like they are being very seriously considered.

sully
05-23-2008, 07:54 PM
while I like that the Commissioner doesn't mind passion from the coaches on the bench, he did seem to give some backhanded jabs at Carver, implying that he spoke inappropriately to an official.

Whatever the truth may be I guess he's got to come across as balanced for all concerned...

Dirk Diggler
05-23-2008, 07:57 PM

Don't think Garber would join in on the bashing of the officials. Wouldn't be very diplomatic of him.

And I don't think Steve Nash can help in any regard. Kerfoot is a very rich man on his own. Don't think he needs any help financially. Just needs to get through to the thick headed people at the federal level of the Port Authority.

hamiltonfan
05-23-2008, 08:27 PM
drey cary is to settle FC as steve nash is to whitecaps???

SilverSamurai
05-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Don't think Garber would join in on the bashing of the officials. Wouldn't be very diplomatic of him.

And I don't think Steve Nash can help in any regard. Kerfoot is a very rich man on his own. Don't think he needs any help financially. Just needs to get through to the thick headed people at the federal level of the Port Authority.

But Nash could be used to promote the club. Isn't he also a minority owner of an English club?
Don't forget Nash is a local boy out west.
I do agree, in terms of money, Kerfoot doesn't need any help.

camcamy
05-23-2008, 09:16 PM
17: St. Louis
18. Montreal

Pretty sure this is how it will play out

GuelphStorm2007
05-23-2008, 09:47 PM
I think with Mr George Gillete involved with the Montreal group it is a given Montreal will be in MLS in 2010.

CretanBull
05-23-2008, 11:37 PM
...i fear st louis might be the next club, it has potential to be a failure...

Footy is probably bigger in St. Louis than it is anywhere else in America and there's a HUGE history & tradition of the sport in that city. Our concern about a team in St. Louis shouldn't be "will it fail?" but "will they out-shine us?"

Roogsy
05-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Yeah...not sure where the "fail" perspective would come from when it comes to St Louis. Probably the most historic place in the US when it comes to football.

footyfan
05-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah...not sure where the "fail" perspective would come from when it comes to St Louis. Probably the most historic place in the US when it comes to football.

You guys are impressing me with your knowledge of US footy. Good! :canada:

redcard
05-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Steve Nash brings star power, and that will hopefully help the Vancouver get into the MLS even though the stadium is still pending..

S_D
05-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Yes St. Louis is a great soccer city but if the stadium ends up being in Collinsville, will the right fans come? From what I have read, a lot of people are starting to realize that targeting families as your primary demographic rather than young males is a bit of a mistake. I know Collinsville is only 15 minute drive from St. Louis, but is it accessable by some quality public transport?

Collinsville is only scheduled to have 3500 new homes built over the next 20 years so while it is growing, it certainly isn't a metropolis where they can expect to draw most of their support from.

Razcle
05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Wow...half of the commentary was Canadian Content. This league is really starting to take notice that Canada is a part of MLS. Now if only someone would fill in Greg LALALALALALAs and Shep Messing on that weak MLS recap Extra Time, we might get the recongition we deserve from this league. Douch bags didn't mention Greg Sutton as an MLS top keeper even though he's had 4 clean sheets in 6 or something like that.

^ Sorry I digress.

NF-FC
05-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes St. Louis is a great soccer city but if the stadium ends up being in Collinsville, will the right fans come? From what I have read, a lot of people are starting to realize that targeting families as your primary demographic rather than young males is a bit of a mistake. I know Collinsville is only 15 minute drive from St. Louis, but is it accessable by some quality public transport?

Collinsville is only scheduled to have 3500 new homes built over the next 20 years so while it is growing, it certainly isn't a metropolis where they can expect to draw most of their support from.

Those have been my same fears from the start too. The stadium is in a different state from the city they are trying to represent. nevermind the fact that you have to drive through east st.louis to get there, lock your doors people:(

These suburb stadiums are really going to limit this league for decades until they learn to rebuild in the city

Dirk Diggler
05-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Sorry for my ignorance but can anyone enlighten me as to how St.Louis has such a rich history of soccer in the USA?

Keyman
05-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm no expert on this, but I'll give it a go.
St. Louis has always been a hotbed for the sport of soccer in the United States. Early on, I believe many immigrant families moved to the the countries biggest industrial centers, and St. Louis was one of them. After the immigrant population introduced the game to the region, multiple amatuer teams and leagues started to pop up. It became one of the centers for the sport in the US, and they started to produce some of the countries best players. If I remember correctly, many of the USMNT in the mid 1900's were filled with players from St Louis. All throughout this time period, I believe that teams from St Louis continued to win different trophies, including St Louis University, which continues to draw impressive crowds for an NCAA soccer team IIRC, and win championships.

St Louis also had a team in the NASL, that I think drew some impressive crowds in their time. However poor performances turned away many fans, and killed there being any chance of a successful team in the city. Now, St Louis is more known for being one of the countries top producers at the grassroots level. They have multiple successful youth teams, and they are still producing some of the countries best players.

Now, that could be all wrong. But I tried!

CretanBull
05-24-2008, 12:27 PM
from wiki:

St. Louis has long had a reputation as being one of America's soccer hotbeds, and is home to what is arguably the richest soccer history in the nation. In addition to being the former home of several professional teams, including the St. Louis Stars of the NASL, St. Louis has a strong tradition of prep and select soccer, which is followed very closely by many people in the city. It has been suggested that prep soccer in St. Louis enjoys a similar following to prep hockey in Minnesota. The St. Louis University men's soccer team has made 16 NCAA Final Four appearances, and has won 10 national championships. The team consistently ranks in the Top 10 of all Division I soccer teams in attendance. Of most pride to many St. Louisans was the 1950 World Cup team, which defeated England 1-0, in what is perhaps the greatest upset in World Cup history. Five of the eleven players on the team were from St. Louis, many from the historically Italian neighborhood known as The Hill. This event was chronicled in the 2005 film "The Miracle Match". Certainly noteworthy is that fact that every U.S. World Cup team in history has included at least one St. Louisan on its roster, and there have been 20 St. Louisans elected into the National Soccer Hall of Fame. St. Louis is currently without a Major League Soccer team, but is considered a leading candidate for expansion in 2009. Several current American soccer stars including Taylor Twellman, Steve Ralston, Matt Pickens, Chris Klein, Brad Davis, Mike Sorber, and Pat Noonan, all hail from St. Louis.

devioustrevor
05-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Yep, it's where Canada won an Olympic Gold Medal in Men's Soccer.

Dirk Diggler
05-24-2008, 03:25 PM
That's definitely some interesting reading. I did not know St.Louis was such a soccer hotbed. If it really is anything like Minny is for hockey, MLS definitely needs to establish a franchise there sooner rather than later.

pepher
05-25-2008, 06:04 AM
I'll go ahead and guess it's Montreal next...