PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Jan.15

denime
01-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Mornin'

TFC has good options entering today's draft
Team holds trio of first-round picks to stock up on young talent or to deal away for some veteran help
Daniel Girard

Mo Johnston and John Carver are popular with their Major League Soccer colleagues these days.
Toronto FC's one-two punch hold three first-round picks in today's MLS SuperDraft, meaning there's no shortage of offers as other teams look to trade up for higher picks from a pool of U.S. college players widely seen as deep with talent.
"The phones never stop now," Carver, TFC's coach, said of interest from the league's other 14 clubs.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/571326)

Toronto FC readies for draft day
LARRY MILLSON

TORONTO — Toronto FC entered the 2009 Major League Soccer SuperDraft with three first-round picks — the second, fourth and 13th overall — but it's not certain how many the third-year club will have or where they will be in the selection process when the draft takes place today in St. Louis.
TFC manager Mo Johnston has a well-earned reputation for being willing to make a deal. And leading up to the draft, there was speculation Toronto was trying to obtain the expansion Seattle Sounders' first-overall pick or perhaps dangling its picks in an effort to obtain a more experienced player.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090114.wspttfc14/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :nonod:

Mojo
01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I think I need some moonshine to turn the sunshine into sunshine.

Wagner
01-15-2009, 08:36 AM
SSG = Scary...like an extra from Thriller.

BritSOL
01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
CBC ends affiliation with Jays
Chris Zelkovich

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/571237

a slate of Toronto FC games available, filling air time will be easy.

Oldtimer
01-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Toronto FC has three picks (No. 2, No. 4 and No. 12) in the first round of the 2009 Major League Soccer SuperDraft, more than any other team. Is there any chance the Canadians have approached D.C. United, which owns selections No. 6 and 7, with an offer to move up? “They’ve approached 14 teams,” said United general manager Dave Kasper.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/011509-Uncertainty_marks_MLS_draft.html

Today is shaping up to be a historic day in University of Akron athletics.
Former Zips star Steve Zakuani is all but certain to be a high draft pick in today's 2009 Major League Soccer SuperDraft.
Respected soccer writer Ives Galarcep projects him as the No. 1 selection on soccerbyives.net and espn.com.
Zakuani said he is not dwelling on where he will be selected in today's draft in St. Louis, which starts at 2 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN2.
''I've heard a lot about the possibility of being the No. 1 pick, but it's been through friends,'' said Zakuani, who just completed his second season at UA and was runnerup for soccer's most prestigious individual award, the Hermann Trophy.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/37614039.html

Chevy
01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
SSG = Scary...like an extra from Thriller.

An extra from Thriller that just finished snacking on a few fat kids.

Roogsy
01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
OMG.... Sunshine Girl = :eek:

Technorgasm
01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Denime. Jesus and I love you.

ITS DRAFT DAY!

EVERYBODY GO CRAZY!!!!!!:hump:

Beach_Red
01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I always see these comments on the Sunshine Girls and I think, oh, she can't be that bad and I click on the link and......

daner90
01-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Is this like the Molson Canadian commercial where we "clap for a dancer even though they shouldn't be a dancer"?

Yikes

Anywho woohooo draft day!

rocker
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
what is scarier is that the photographer probably did some photoshop on the pics after (they always do, no matter who the model is).

James17930
01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Chris Zelkovich

:hurray:

denime
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
what is scarier is that the photographer probably did some photoshop on the pics after (they always do, no matter who the model is).

:smilielol5:

I would like to see pictures "before" photoshop work was done. :hide:

.J.B.
01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
SSG - WOW the operation was a success he almost looks like a she... Well Done!!

Stouffville_RPB
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
i guess there really is no sunshine in winter.

BFin
01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Now I am a small guy...only weigh about 165-170lbs...but this broad definitely weighs more than I do. That's just not right. The sunshine girl used to be an institution for young men everywhere. When I was 11-14 I would open every Sun I saw to see this girl. I am afraid of any of my future children turning into some sort of creepy pervert if he ever sees this debacle. For shame Sun...for shame.

On a positive note....ITS DRAFT DAYYYYY!!!!!!!

Roogsy
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Chris Zelkovich

Yeah, with Gold Cup, Confed Cup, TFC...there is lots of soccer to fill the airtime at a fraction of the price. Let's hope though that the ratings continue to improve. That sort of falls on us as well...as soccer fans in this city/country.

tfcmanu
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Now that the holiday season has come and gone, it’s time to start looking forward toward an exciting summer of football.

Can Toronto FC continue their improvement and give the fans what they have been longing for the past two seasons, post-season play at BMO Field?

Will either Vancouver or Ottawa, the two remaining Canadian cities in the running for Major League Soccer expansion, be granted a franchise to rival the Reds of TFC?

Will Montreal continue their Cinderella story and knock off Santos of Mexico in the quarter-finals of the CONCACAF Champions League?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/01/adv...e_holes_wi.html (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/01/advice_to_mo_fill_the_holes_wi.html)

johnmolinaro
01-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Chris Zelkovich

I'll keep my ears and eyes open around the office and if I hear anything about us picking up more games, I'll let you know.

I'll also post our broadcast schedule when it becomes official.

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca

Carts
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I'll keep my ears and eyes open around the office and if I hear anything about us picking up more games, I'll let you know.

I'll also post our broadcast schedule when it becomes official.

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca

John, any chance of this news opening up the HD mobiles for home TFC games...? Or is that still too much $ upfront for the current ratings numbers to support...?

That being asked, I realize that a decision in regards to this could be weeks away possibly...

Thanks, Carts...

DVS
01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
CBC should be crying. Ratings for Blue Jays baseball has always traditionally been very good.

BFin
01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I have been cruising the Seattle Sounders sites looking for any updates on trading the pick, but so far there is no word on their end either.

rocker
01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
CBC should be crying. Ratings for Blue Jays baseball has always traditionally been very good.

well, it was their choice right?

they do the math and even though the ratings are good, the ad revenue probably was not worth the cost of production.

cy43
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
You guys are on crack.

Best ssg of all time. I love blonde girls.

BFin
01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Blonde? She's about as blonde as Danny Dichio...however, she does appear to weigh more.

johnmolinaro
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
John, any chance of this news opening up the HD mobiles for home TFC games...? Or is that still too much $ upfront for the current ratings numbers to support...?

That being asked, I realize that a decision in regards to this could be weeks away possibly...

Thanks, Carts...

I can't say for sure, but I doubt it.

Doing games in HD is very expensive, and with TV ratings low for Toronto FC, it's not cost-effecient to do games in HD.

johnmolinaro
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
well, it was their choice right?

they do the math and even though the ratings are good, the ad revenue probably was not worth the cost of production.

exactly.

Mark in Ottawa
01-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Doing games in HD is very expensive, and with TV ratings low for Toronto FC, it's not cost-effecient to do games in HD.

Problem is a lot of the fans are either at the game or watching at a favorite watering hole... so how can they get higher ratings?

How do they adjust the ratings to account for many, many folks watching the same TV at the same time?

I have never understood the ratings system :noidea:

Hitcho
01-15-2009, 12:07 PM

What's the scope for getting the US channels to broadcast in HD then? I rarely see home games on tv anyway because I am lucky to have season tickets, but the away games in HD would be great, and the US networks must be able to afford it, no? Can you call a counterpart and tell them their friends in the north would be very happy aboot it if they could sort it out?! :D

Roogsy
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM

Yes, but was it worth the money?

johnmolinaro
01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Problem is a lot of the fans are either at the game or watching at a favorite watering hole... so how can they get higher ratings?

How do they adjust the ratings to account for many, many folks watching the same TV at the same time?

I have never understood the ratings system :noidea:

Well, if TV viewers outside the GTA area and in other parts of the country tuned it, that would be a big help.

Fact is, not many people outside of Toronto care or follow Toronto FC.

rocker
01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, if TV viewers outside the GTA area and in other parts of the country tuned it, that would be a big help.

which is why we need more MLS teams in Canada.. somebody tell Garber ;)

I bet if Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa were in MLS this would change.
More people would have a reason to care on a regular basis, and they'd watch. Of course Montreal screwed up my plan ....

Lucky Strike
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM

I do my part! :D I also walk around every day with my TFC scarf and I actually strike up quite a few conversations that way.

SilverSamurai
01-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Any chance of the games being broadcast in 16:9 atleast?
It would be nice to atleast see more of the pitch...

Hitcho
01-15-2009, 01:13 PM

Lies! The whole country lives only for TFC.

How did you get a job at the CBC?! Sheesh... ;-)

Beach_Red
01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
which is why we need more MLS teams in Canada.. somebody tell Garber ;)

I bet if Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa were in MLS this would change.
More people would have a reason to care on a regular basis, and they'd watch. Of course Montreal screwed up my plan ....

Or even if Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton etc., got into the USL they could play in the Canadian Championship and that would really increase interest.

ensco
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I just want to point out that the CBC is sticking with TFC, even though the production costs may well exceed the ad revenues, given TFC's terrible ratings. The dollars probably aren't large, which I'm guessing is part of why they continue to carry TFC, but CBC deserve major props for sticking with us in tough times.

Oh, and John? I want every game in HD, no games on Bold, and I want HNIC playoff games pre-empted for TFC.

Hitcho
01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I just want to point out that the CBC is sticking with TFC, even though the production costs may well exceed the ad revenues, given TFC's terrible ratings. The dollars probably aren't large, which I'm guessing is part of why they continue to carry TFC, but CBC deserve major props for sticking with us in tough times.

Oh, and John? I want every game in HD, no games on Bold, and I want HNIC playoff games pre-empted for TFC.

And please rename the CBC the TFC BC :D:D:D

Redcoe15
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think there's anything wro...

What the fuck am I saying? OF COURSE THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT SUNSHINE GIRL! SHE'S SCARY!!! :eek:

jloome
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Tomorrow's is no improvement, I'm sad to report.

Razcle
01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
^ Oh no...this is not the kind of news we want to be tipped about. All my hopes and ambitions for the SSG to turn around and be a bombshell are ruined.

Beach_Red
01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Tomorrow's is no improvement, I'm sad to report.

And you've had the most generous opinins here. Iwon't look, I won't....

Mark in Ottawa
01-16-2009, 06:55 AM

Do we have a count of how many tuned into the TFC web site to watch the draft coverage?

It was pretty busy here on the forum as we hit our largest number of people connected on-line at once.

Mark in Ottawa
01-16-2009, 06:59 AM

:smilielol5:

I agree that it would be great if CBC could show some number of TFC games. Best to have em live but if I have to I would settle for "tape delay" replay so I could see the team in action.