PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's Musings: Draft Mockery.

tfcmanu
01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Goal.com's Kyle McCarthy submits his mock draft ahead of Thursday's MLS SuperDraft and prepares to watch it all fall to pieces by Thursday night.

In the soccer world at large, silly season is a term reserved for when the transfer window.

In MLS, that term should apply to any point in time when a mock draft is conceived.

There are simply too many variables – try to keep count of how many times I couch myself in this mock draft – to weigh in order to ensure accuracy. The problem is exacerbated because most of the heavy hitting takes place from the night before the draft onwards and no one wants to reveal their hand too early.

With that being said, I can reasonably suggest a few things after the past few days:

1. Toronto will wheel and deal.

2. Toronto – Sam Cronin, Wake Forest midfielder

I think Toronto wants to dump this pick. If you're paying the kind of premium Mo Johnston will demand, I'd lean towards Cronin, who should be a solid pro for years to come and could likely step in and log some minutes this season.

4. Toronto – Stefan Frei, California goalkeeper (GA)

The general consensus is that Toronto doesn't want to stay here either if it can help it. If TFC has to stay here, there are two considerations: Mo Johnston loves speed and needs a goalkeeper. I opted for Frei here simply because he shouldn't get past four.

13. Toronto FC -- O'Brian White, UCONN forward

It would be particularly difficult for TFC to pass up a Canadian forward with this much talent at this point in the draft. Busted ACL or no busted ACL, White should be the sole option here...CONT'D

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-...s-draft-mockery (http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/01/14/1059843/mccarthys-musings-draft-mockery)

Stryker
01-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Goal keeper? I don't see why he'd take a keeper unless it was to trade him.
I think Edwards has the potential to be a good number one when Suts calls it a day.

nimamalek
01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
"Toronto needs a goalkeeper"? i think thats just stupid, Sutton and Edwards make a good 1-2, experienced starter and a good future keeper, CB and F are the only positions i'd say we "need" something

JDG
01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Goalkeeper & Midfield are the only positions Mo should not be considering. Upgrading those positions should happen only when the D is solidified & a proven goalscorer joins the front line.

jesse
01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
"Toronto needs a goalkeeper"? i think thats just stupid, Sutton and Edwards make a good 1-2, experienced starter and a good future keeper, CB and F are the only positions i'd say we "need" something

Maybe you should read what he wrote before that...FYI Frei is a better keeper than Edwards...besides O'Brien, Frei would be the only player I'd take with a first round pick. (Dump Edwards in another deal to clear the way)

Don Julio
01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I wonder who will pick up White and try to extort Mo for him..

Cashcleaner
01-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Is Frei a better keeper than Edwards? Personally, I don't see a problem with trading up for a new back-up GK, but I completely agree that the focus should remain on the Forwards and Defense.

I wouldn't rule it out any move that helps out the team regardless of position, but I don't think anyone can really argue how much attention is required up front and on the D.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Gotta say that I agree CBs should be the priority however if Frei is so highly ranked AND a GA then sure, grab him, provided it doesnt interefere with getting quality CBs, which i suspect it wont

Fort York Redcoat
01-15-2009, 09:10 AM
I wonder who will pick up White and try to extort Mo for him..

We should pass on him and let him come home when he's all better. TFC working harder to get Canadian talent is the opposite of where we should be.

Drafts are dumb.