PDA

View Full Version : Shola Ameobi or Patrick Kluivert

werewolf
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Out of the two strikers that are lately being rumoured, which would you prefer?

- 26 year old, inconsistent, but on a much higher level, looking to reinvigorate his career

- 32 year old (almost), proven scorer, on the down-slope of his career

FluSH
05-23-2008, 04:12 PM
None:

Pachuca & Independiente!

ensco
05-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Kluivert is the better midseason signing, because he played with Robert for years

Pachuco
05-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Kluivert would be more of a DP in the sense that alot more people will know who he is and he'd probably sell more jerseys at first. on the other hand, if Shola plays well, people will know who he is fairly quickly.

Nodoubtguy
05-23-2008, 04:26 PM
PK!!!

Billy the kid
05-23-2008, 04:37 PM
A lot of people think Kluivert is too old, but it's not as though he would be locked in to a long term contract. There's no reason they couldn't get a different DP after a year or two if his play slips.

VPjr
05-23-2008, 04:54 PM
neither

I want Martin Palermo from Boca Jr. (only downside is he's 34 years old)

TFCREDNWHITE
05-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Its gotta be KLUIVERT!! are you insane!?!? Ex-Barca, Ex-Ajax, Hollands most prolific goal scorer! This guys won a European Championship...And at 31 yrs old he's still got enough in the tank to stuff balls right up Will Hesmer and Zach Well's asses!! This guy would be a dangerous player with Robert, Guevara and RIcketts feeding him balls!!!

Come on, just picture RObert Guevara and Ricketts playing with KLUIVERT up TOP!!

Jesus, i've gotta go change my pants! Do you really think COWlumbus or the Chicago Bonfires would stand a freakin chance??? NO WAY!!!

Draracle
05-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Hard choice.

Kluivert owns some of the most amazing goals in the history of the game. Ameobi is a decent striker, but much younger and could become a long term fixture.

Pretty 50/50 imo.

jloome
05-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Neither. Kluivert has played for four years like he's washed up, Ameobi has spent half his career getting surgery.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Kluivert. He’s got a better goal scoring record. He’d put us over the top. I can’t help but feel Ameobi would be a bit of a bust.

I kind of get the feeling neither are going to be coming. Kluivert wants to stay in Europe and get into coaching. Despite recent reports to the contrary, there’s no way MLSE is paying a fee for Ameobi (I’m not convinced they could if they wanted to under MLS rules). I still think Huckerby, or someone else not on our radar yet, is going to end up here. The sooner the better.

Big Bruva
05-23-2008, 06:43 PM
If we are talking about who would do beter on the pitch and a better signing, i would go with Shola, he would score goals in this league, he is tall and can hold the ball up and he is still young

zeelaw
05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Ameobi because I want Dave from Stoke and Newcastle to come too

werewolf
05-23-2008, 06:50 PM
If we are talking about who would do beter on the pitch and a better signing, i would go with Shola, he would score goals in this league, he is tall and can hold the ball up and he is still young

so that pretty much confirms we are getting Ameobi.

:hump:

Big Bruva
05-23-2008, 06:52 PM
so that pretty much confirms we are getting Ameobi.

:hump:

lol no no, im just giving my opinion on both options.

CretanBull
05-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately, there's Premiership interest in Ameobi...and lots of Championship interest too.

werewolf
05-23-2008, 06:53 PM
:lol:

I agree on Shola being the better signing, he was inconsistent at Newcastle, but his skill level is above this league. If it were for just a season to make a run at a title, I would say Kluivert. I would like to think we are building a team though for the long run, and we could have Ameobi for a number of years.

Lucky Strike
05-23-2008, 06:54 PM
I think I'd prefer Kluivert, he's proven and a DP deal isn't forever.

Juanito
05-23-2008, 06:57 PM
The decider is who WANTS to play for TFC. If you have to beg them to come here, they won't be any good because they aren't here for any other reason than money! You want someone that wants to prove themselves or their critics.

ensco
05-23-2008, 07:02 PM
neither

I want Martin Palermo from Boca Jr. (only downside is he's 34 years old)

Isn't this more unlikely than Henry?

He's a legend down there

jloome
05-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I think this is the one area where we're unlikely to find a DP - level signing from Britain; strikers who are already that known a commodity are few and far between and earning way more than they can make here.

Having said that, I'd still take a half-season DP hit (200,000 after the June deadline, right?) for Huckerby, who would walk through a lot of MLS defenses. I think he'll end up in San Jose ( misconceptions about turf and his bad hip, plus 'family reasons' sometimes equates to where the family wants to live) but I'd sure welcome him at this point.

Healey might still be in the picture; Fulham's staying up but he can't get a sniff there. Maybe they're still eyeing Pizarro but keeping it quiet to avoid attention from other MLS teams; he wasn't even on the bench for the ECL final and obviously has no future there.

Josh Wolff is apparently free but he's always been a middling prospect, US national team roll notwithstanding;

I still think that leaves our most likely DP signing as an older striker, probably not a Brit.

Blixa
05-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd take Kluivert, but apparently Wisla Krakow are set to make a bid for him.

ag futbol
05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
I think there is only one realistic choice here (for financial reasons). For the price SA would cost us in transfer fee alone, we could put up a whole training facility. One would have to think if we were going to throw down that much money, something like that would come higher on the list.

I'd love to have him on our team for sure, but it's very unlikely.

VPjr
05-23-2008, 08:19 PM

He's a legend down there

his contract is up at the end of this season but talk is that he will sign a lifetime contract with Boca to keep him there until he retires

and yes, he is a legend, 1 rung below Maradona but a legend nonetheless.

his career scoring avg for Boca is around 1.4 games per goal...no too shabby

ua-kozak_TFC
05-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd take Kluivert, but apparently Wisla Krakow are set to make a bid for him.

I think we have the edge on Wisla.... At this point of his career i think Kluivert already realized that he probably won;t break into the top players in the world like he once did. And i think he tried alot of different countries so he is probably looking for something new... And Toronto would be a very good choice over krakow.
I think if i am MLSE i would choose Kluivert why? because he;s a bigger name One of the best footballers of his time... and he can still do a lot on the field. I personally haven;t seen Ameobi played or even heard of him. But if i am trying to sell jerseys and have a better profit with merchandize/ tv deals. Kluivert would be the guy i would be looking for a DP... just because of his pedigree...

Kooper
05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Word on the French sites are that Kluivert will be come a trainer for Lille or another club.

http://allezlelosc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61344&p=982342#p982342

L'équipe (French Sports Paper) is reporting that he will stay at Lille as a forward/Striking coach.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/20080522_094525_kluivert-dans-l-encadrement_Dev.html

footyfan
05-23-2008, 11:27 PM

He's a legend down there

DC and Palermo have been talking for years. If he comes to MLS it will be to United.

rocker
05-23-2008, 11:33 PM
If Ameobi is a striker why is his scoring rate so low?

Altho the positive is that Carver knows the guy really well, so he knows exactly what the guy can bring.. no surprises. He can probably envision how Ameobi would do within this squad.

Northern Soul
05-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Both, but Ameobi only for the fact that he's younger and still has more potential.

ensco
05-24-2008, 05:56 AM
his contract is up at the end of this season but talk is that he will sign a lifetime contract with Boca to keep him there until he retires

well I'd settle for Palacio:p

Lene
05-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Ameobi because I want Dave from Stoke and Newcastle to come too

Ameobi, like

:D

TFCREDNWHITE
05-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Word on the French sites are that Kluivert will be come a trainer for Lille or another club.

http://allezlelosc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61344&p=982342#p982342

L'équipe (French Sports Paper) is reporting that he will stay at Lille as a forward/Striking coach.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/20080522_094525_kluivert-dans-l-encadrement_Dev.html

Thanks for the french news updates!

but why would Kluivert want to coach yet?? that just doesn't make sense??

JDG
05-24-2008, 12:25 PM
The price for Ameobi is prohibative. We can't compete with the other clubs that have expressed interest in him. If the £4,000,000 price tag is accurate, he's out of our reach. The current ecconomics of our situation cannot justify spending that much money. Up to $3,000,000 is far more likely to be what we will spend.

In my opinion Ameobi is just a pipe dream, and Kluivert is over the hill. Time to come up with some new names.

squarehead
05-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I would so get a Kluivert jersey if he comes over... and I am not one for having other people's names on my back, but I remember that guy when he tore it up during the WC in 98... I know that it was 10 years ago, but man - the memories and hopes are hard to give up...

TFCREDNWHITE
05-24-2008, 12:35 PM
The price for Ameobi is prohibative. We can't compete with the other clubs that have expressed interest in him. If the £4,000,000 price tag is accurate, he's out of our reach. The current ecconomics of our situation cannot justify spending that much money. Up to $3,000,000 is far more likely to be what we will spend.

In my opinion Ameobi is just a pipe dream, and Kluivert is over the hill. Time to come up with some new names.

31 yrs old(fine, almost 32 yrs old) is not exactly over the hill! Robert is the same age!! they still have a lot of play left in them!

JDG
05-24-2008, 12:39 PM
31 yrs old(fine, almost 32 yrs old) is not exactly over the hill! Robert is the same age!! they still have a lot of play left in them!

I'm not basing my opinion on age. He simply hasn't been able to perform for awhile, so why does anyone think he's going to start here?
If he was 35, and still on form, I'd say grab him, but he stopped posting good numbers a few years ago. His time has passed, and I don't want retirees checking in for their final paycheck.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm not basing my opinion on age. He simply hasn't been able to perform for awhile, so why does anyone think he's going to start here?
If he was 35, and still on form, I'd say grab him, but he stopped posting good numbers a few years ago. His time has passed, and I don't want retirees checking in for their final paycheck.

I hear ya'

but the same could've been said of Robert right? He wasn't performing either?? but one of the reasons for that is "faith"

Top European teams are so tight in terms of their quality that their is a lot of competition for a spot on the team. Not to mention, big clubs have the money to go out and buy the talent whenever they feel they need to. Because of this HIGH-STRESS//PRESSURE COOKER that we call European Football, it leaves guys by the wayside, as if they are to be taken out with the trash, very fast! The turnover can be quite quick and ugly. When that happens you tend to see a lot of people lose faith in the player...Then the player has a couple of years of people bashing him and telling him that he's shit and washed up, this tends to eat away at person after a while...after that, the player usually picks himself up by the bootstraps and starts telling himself that he wants to go out their and prove the critics wrong, prove to himself that he still has some glimmer and shine, and also get back to enjoying football the way that he once used too!....Especially when such a SUPER-STRIKER like Kluivert is even in the cards for us! we have to be ready, willing and able to jump all over that opportunity! I personally believe in him, and have faith that he is looking for something a bit greater, something that harkens back to his Glory days...He might not win anymore European Championships, but maybe going to a team(like TFC!) where he will be the shining Centre-Piece and having 21,000 people chant his name, will give him the nostalgia of the good ol'days that he had...:)

ag futbol
05-24-2008, 02:23 PM

If we're shopping in South America, I think Facundo Sava would be more realistic. He's still scoring and he's the type of target guy that would fit well in our system. He also has enough speed left to break off the line to poach a few goals and is strong in the air.

Plus he's talked about playing in MLS already and he's a complete character.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-24-2008, 02:38 PM
are you kidding me... 4 goals in 10 games.. it's not exactly " not able to perform..." The guy has been solid... he just went thru a lot of teams in a hort span and many played him out of position. Look at his stats. He;s a fantastic stricker. He would be an exact fit in to the line up.. Plus Kluivert is a name that EVERYone knows about.. Ameobi not so much. Ameobi will never reach the hieghts that kluivert did. So if you plan to sell jerseys, put your team out there in the soccer world and make an impact on a team on 2-3 year period. Kluivert is your guy.... age of 32 is just a baby he;s got sill more years to come atleast 4...