PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Jan.13

denime
01-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Mornin'

No TFC news for now,please post here if you find some.

New B.Knight blog entry is here: Montreal musings (http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/01/12/montreal-musings/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Technorgasm
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Mornin Denime. . and THANKS!

I just hope that TFC can penetrate the CONCACAF. I really really do.

maybe even win one. . one time, so we can rub it in the faces of our MTL neighbors.

Have fun in the USL, you twats.

James17930
01-13-2009, 09:46 AM
It says the SSG is into 'looks and money' in a guy -- probably because she has neither.

rocker
01-13-2009, 09:48 AM
i like her in the Hooters outfit.. but the further I clicked into the other pics the more disappointed I got.

she needs to thin out the eyebrows a bit.

jabbronies
01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Beckhamania with a toss in of MLS bashing:

David Beckham draws scrutiny from Italian media
Galaxy midfielder, on loan to AC Milan, is critiqued by media in Europe after being praised by teammates for his Serie A debut with the Italian team.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-spw-beckham13-2009jan13,0,7878198.story

Milan hopeful over Beckham stay
AC Milan are optimistic David Beckham will be able to extend his two-month loan with them from LA Galaxy.
The 33-year-old played 88 minutes of Sunday's 2-2 draw with Roma and Milan have been hugely impressed with him.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7824641.stm

Beckham 'may not return to MLS'

Former LA Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas said he would not be surprised if David Beckham did not to return to America after his loan with AC Milan. The England midfielder's stint with the Italian club ends in March, when the Major League Soccer season resumes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7819258.stm

Roogsy
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
It says the SSG is into 'looks and money' in a guy -- probably because she has neither.

LOL!

And she was obviously wearing ankle socks when she got her spray tan done!

Well done lassy... :rolleyes:

Parkdale
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Beckham 'may not return to MLS'

Former LA Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas said he would not be surprised if David Beckham did not to return to America after his loan with AC Milan. The England midfielder's stint with the Italian club ends in March, when the Major League Soccer season resumes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7819258.stm

Lalas, who in 2007 signed Beckham on a five-year contract with the Galaxy, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "If I was still at the Galaxy, yes, I'd fear it."
But Beckham's spokesman Simon Oliveira insisted he would return to the Galaxy.
He said: "Whilst we respect Alexi's right to an opinion, he has not been party to any contractual discussions on the loan agreement to Milan.

How are those grapes Lalas? Sour?

BFin
01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Just because a girl works at Hooters does not give her the right to be the sunshine girl...unless she is topless. I'm just saying.

"into guys and money..."???? In what world is either of those two categories going to be interested in her? Also, how does being materialistic make you a hopeless romantic?

BFin
01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
How are those grapes Lalas? Sour?
I read an article the other day in which everyone said he is an idiot and Beckhams agent publicly stated that he will be back in time for the start of the MLS season.

gmacpheetfc
01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Donovan Scores in Bayren Friendly

Well, that didn't take long. In just his second game for Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich, Landon Donovan scored his first goal. The Bavarians ran out 3-1 winners over Al-Wehda in a match in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614/americans-abroad/2009/01/12/1057811/landon-donovan-scores-in-bayern-friendly

Cas87
01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Page 3 girl!
Her name is Poppy

http://www.page3.com/index3.shtml#main-image

canadian_bhoy
01-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Page 3 girl!
Her name is Poppy

http://www.page3.com/index3.shtml#main-image

Looks like Poppy is a little Sloppy!

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
"In England, the reviews seemed to focus more on taking shots at Major League Soccer than on Beckham's performance, even though that performance probably enhanced his chances of extending his career for the England national soccer team."

No shock there... MLS-bashing is their favourite pastime over there.

canadian_bhoy
01-13-2009, 11:39 AM
"In England, the reviews seemed to focus more on taking shots at Major League Soccer than on Beckham's performance, even though that performance probably enhanced his chances of extending his career for the England national soccer team."

To be fair - What do people in Canada think about the Finnish Professional Hockey League?

keem-o-sabi
01-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Today's Daily Coed Mag hottie (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)

The Kingpin
01-13-2009, 11:46 AM

Personally, I think you way over-estimate the effect the MLS has over here. There is simply no mention of the league what-so-ever other than "David Beckham of the LA Galaxy...". The MLS simply does not register in any other form. Even when Freddy Lundberg signed with Seattle is was "He signed on in America...". As expected (see multiple episodes of Red Patch LIVE!) the Beckham experiment did not do what many hoped it would, add credibility to the league. If anything, him signing with Milan decreased league value. It's too bad, by I guess the MLS should go back to the slow burn as it has proved it can't quite manage being a "Major League" quite yet.

Lucky Strike
01-13-2009, 11:46 AM

Meh, they're just insecure because they know the U.S. as a team will get much, much better over time. And it will annoy them because the U.S. are not a footballing country but they will be good at it. Similar to how in hockey I despise it when Canada loses to the U.S. (not that it happens very often) because they're not a hockey country, they just happen to be good (okay, well decent) at it. Hope I explained that well.

canadian_bhoy
01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Personally, I think you way over-estimate the effect the MLS has over here. There is simply no mention of the league what-so-ever other than "David Beckham of the LA Galaxy...". The MLS simply does not register in any other form. Even when Freddy Lundberg signed with Seattle is was "He signed on in America...". As expected (see multiple episodes of Red Patch LIVE!) the Beckham experiment did not do what many hoped it would, add credibility to the league. If anything, him signing with Milan decreased league value. It's too bad, by I guess the MLS should go back to the slow burn as it has proved it can't quite manage being a "Major League" quite yet.

MLS needs to realize that the only way for the league to succeed is to up the quality of play.

How do they market now? Fans, Kids, Beckham.

Throw maybe um-I don't know Spectacular goals, highlight reel runs, crunching tackles and maybe people will start paying attention.

The fact is that the quality of the league is poor and too many people know it.

I know people will talk about the NASL, but IMO, soccer really didn't explode (if you can use that term) until USA 94 and increased availability of matches on the internet.

It will take a generation or two before we start to see real consistent talent out of the US and hopefully by that time, the league will be in a position to keep them here.

The MLS is to the EPL, what the Finnish Pro League is to the NHL. Don't expect any respect, because it simply won't happen.

The Kingpin
01-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Meh, they're just insecure because they know the U.S. as a team will get much, much better over time. And it will annoy them because the U.S. are not a footballing country but they will be good at it. Similar to how in hockey I despise it when Canada loses to the U.S. (not that it happens very often) because they're not a hockey country, they just happen to be good (okay, well decent) at it. Hope I explained that well.

I think we'll have to wait at least one more generation for this to happen in conjunction with a complete overhaul of the development system. Generation Addidas is not broad enough to develop and convert talent all over the country. The MLS will have to be more competitive and more high quality starts will have to flood into the marketplace. Similar to baseball or European football, there will need to be development squads feeding clubs vs. the university route where the talent and training must be below par. Very few "top players" come through that system. Just some initial non-researched thoughts...

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Just from personal experience, on the other football forums I go to, most English fans constantly take shots at the MLS whenever the opportunity arises. In my experience, the English vastly overrate their own leagues. The most prominent MLS basher on one of the forums I frequent is of the opinion that the Championship is one of the top five leagues in the world and that Leagues One and Two are in the top twenty, and frequently compares MLS to the Conference National, which I must admit really cracks me up ( I find ignorance of that magnitude to be pretty funny). And most of the English fans I've encountered only follow the English leagues, which explains why they think they're so fantastic.

The Kingpin
01-13-2009, 11:57 AM
MLS needs to realize that the only way for the league to succeed is to up the quality of play.

Throw maybe um-I don't know Spectacular goals, highlight reel runs, crunching tackles and maybe people will start paying attention.

The fact is that the quality of the league is poor and too many people know it.

I know people will talk about the NASL, but IMO, soccer really didn't explode (if you can use that term) until USA 94 and increased availability of matches on the internet.

It will take a generation or two before we start to see real consistent talent out of the US and hopefully by that time, the league will be in a position to keep them here.

The MLS is to the EPL, what the Finnish Pro League is to the NHL. Don't expect any respect, because it simply won't happen.

Agreed on most points other than the fact that during the NASL days, there was a slight explosion and exposure that I feel helped spur on 94. At times the Cosmos were drawing over 70,000... It was "trendy", but there was positive exposure. It does dispel the myth that by removing the cap the league will be successful. The Galaxy will outspend, the rest of the teams will be secondary... finally many secondary/peripheral and tertiary fans will fade away.

Parkdale
01-13-2009, 11:58 AM

and cheerleaders!!!

:hide:

okay, maybe not cheerleaders.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-13-2009, 11:58 AM
To be fair - What do people in Canada think about the Finnish Professional Hockey League?
Hey, I actually like European club hockey... They haven't tampered with the rules like we have over here. I see your point though about the quality of the league compared to the NHL.

The Kingpin
01-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Just from personal experience, on the other football forums I go to, most English fans constantly take shots at the MLS whenever the opportunity arises. In my experience, the English vastly overrate their own leagues. The most prominent MLS basher on one of the forums I frequent is of the opinion that the Championship is one of the top five leagues in the world and that Leagues One and Two are in the top twenty, and frequently compares MLS to the Conference National, which I must admit really cracks me up ( I find ignorance of that magnitude to be pretty funny). And most of the English fans I've encountered only follow the English leagues, which explains why they think they're so fantastic.

I would agree on some level. I do expose many locals here to the "TFC Experience" and they are quite surprised. What I would never show them is a Columbus experience or KC one. I made reference to our crowds of a sold out 20K every game... A good point was made, Bradford City generally draw 17K in League Two. And there lies the difference, it's inbred into the culture. This will take generations to develop and the league operates in an insular fashion trying to differentiate itself from other with "American" rules. This in m,y opinion heavily affects credibility. You have to educate the traditional football fans on "American" rules. Some actually like ideas like the draft, but you have to explain it deeply first. The last place I would look for educated discussion would be on an English based forum. Look at the bashing on this forum, half of it is without merit as well.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
^The American rules and the way the league functions definitely affect credibility. I think a lot of is necessary, though, given that "soccer" isn't the most popular sport in the country by a long shot, and MLS isn't rolling in the dough, so I don't think a European-style free market kind of league system would work.

The other things that obviously affects credibility are the low standard of play and lack of promotion/relegation system. One would hope that, eventually, those things will change as the league grows in popularity and the players coming out of Canada and the US get better.

Chewy Unikronik
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Why do we continue to care about what the rest of the world thinks about MLS???

Do you think people in Australia, Japan, Korea, Ecuador, or anywhere else are worried about Europeans think about their games?

We have the MLS and that's what we should support regardless. It may not be perfect, but it is ours.

Instead of bitching about it and whining about a lack of respect, embrace what we have and try to improve it in our own light.

We don't play in the winter or crown the league winner as the actual champion. We do have a salary cap, play-offs and conferences. LIVE WITH IT.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey, I completely agree. There are many aspects about it I don't like, but it's our league and however good it is or what other people think about it, doesn't really matter. It just grates on me to hear people exaggerating how poor the level of play is.

BFin
01-13-2009, 12:41 PM
This isn't exactly NEWS is it? I mean we all know european soccer fans do not take any North American leagues very seriously, and probably never will. Aside from the decline in competition (not saying it's bad, because I attend games every year so that would make me a dedicated moron) I think a lot of it is because soccer was their sport, and they will always hold it in that light. We are the new kids on the block (per se) and I don't think we will be able to shake that image until our stadiums are 70,000 seats, our players have only one name, and was previously mentioned we get some highlight reel goals, bone crunching tackles, and cheerleaders!
Again, this isn't news to me...

The Kingpin
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Why do we continue to care about what the rest of the world thinks about MLS???

Do you think people in Australia, Japan, Korea, Ecuador, or anywhere else are worried about Europeans think about their games?

We have the MLS and that's what we should support regardless. It may not be perfect, but it is ours.

Instead of bitching about it and whining about a lack of respect, embrace what we have and try to improve it in our own light.

We don't play in the winter or crown the league winner as the actual champion. We do have a salary cap, play-offs and conferences. LIVE WITH IT.

OK. Wow. I'll bite. Whining and bitching? I guess some of us accept our lot in life and do nothing to attempt to improve the core elements that do not allow us to compete in the overall footballing marketplace, whilst other have proactive discussion that will hopefully become the new rhetoric as apposed to the old "this is our league" mantra that is perpetuated. Am I trying to affect change? You bet I am, and I will continue to do so in any way I can from over here.

I think every fans goal should be to drive the league forward, not just TFC, but the league as a whole. This ostensibly will create a greater atmosphere both in spirit and competition. There are tragic flaws and I will not take ownership of them, I want them to change. Only then will we have the players that will be a joy to watch and a team that can begin to trot the globe just a little bit more. Only when the seed is planted do we start to grow. Just my thoughts.

The Kingpin
01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
This isn't exactly NEWS is it? I mean we all know european soccer fans do not take any North American leagues very seriously, and probably never will. Aside from the decline in competition (not saying it's bad, because I attend games every year so that would make me a dedicated moron) I think a lot of it is because soccer was their sport, and they will always hold it in that light. We are the new kids on the block (per se) and I don't think we will be able to shake that image until our stadiums are 70,000 seats, our players have only one name, and was previously mentioned we get some highlight reel goals, bone crunching tackles, and cheerleaders!
Again, this isn't news to me...

And a mascot!! ;)

Plus. I'm not really comparing only to England. I'm looking at the success globally. It would be great if the semiotics were the same so the learning curve would be nil. Easier to get more fans in the door if they have directions...

Mrs. Workie
01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
and cheerleaders!

NO
FUCKING
CHEERLEADERS!!!

The Kingpin
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
*sigh*

Parkdale
01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
NO
FUCKING
CHEERLEADERS!!!

what else are we supposed to do with cheerleaders?
Play cards with them? Long walks on the beach?

Chewy Unikronik
01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
OK. Wow. I'll bite. Whining and bitching? I guess some of us accept our lot in life and do nothing to attempt to improve the core elements that do not allow us to compete in the overall footballing marketplace, whilst other have proactive discussion that will hopefully become the new rhetoric as apposed to the old "this is our league" mantra that is perpetuated. Am I trying to affect change? You bet I am, and I will continue to do so in any way I can from over here.

I think every fans goal should be to drive the league forward, not just TFC, but the league as a whole. This ostensibly will create a greater atmosphere both in spirit and competition. There are tragic flaws and I will not take ownership of them, I want them to change. Only then will we have the players that will be a joy to watch and a team that can begin to trot the globe just a little bit more. Only when the seed is planted do we start to grow. Just my thoughts.
Never said anything against voicing an opinion for sake of change, or not wanting change at all. I'm not naive to think things are great, there's a lot of work to be done.

My only gripe is with those that continue to put down the league because it is not like all of the others. There's nothing wrong with being unique. It's not perfect, but it is what we have, for the time being.

And yes, in my eyes if people complain about something without providing reasonable solutions, that's bitching and whining. :)

Mrs. Workie
01-13-2009, 12:55 PM

:rolleyes:

TorCanSoc
01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
For me personally. My interest in EPL and Serie-A has taken a huge hit. I used to watch anything soccer when it came on T.V. Now, not so much. We all live eat and breath TFC, no question there. But guess what, I feel the same way about MLS. Its our league, its now my league of choice.

Europeans will not take N.American soccer seriously until (likely Mexico or U.S.) win the world cup. Once in a while Mexico and the U.S. are invited to play in the Copa America. They need to win that as well.

MLS needs to have every team profitable. And the salary cap needs to be triple what it is now. Then some respectability.

TFC07
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Sunshine girl looks alright.

BFin
01-13-2009, 02:01 PM
If they are ugly enough...we could make them sunshine girls.

Pachuco
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Good point!

Beach_Red
01-13-2009, 02:48 PM

I think the Finnish league is as big as it's going to get. But, if it ever catches on here, New York, LA, Chicago (oh, for fun let's say Toronto) and a few other North American cities will be able to support teams at the top level of soccer.

Why wouldn't Russian billionaires set up shop in New York once the market's there?

BFin
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Sunshine girl looks alright.

to each their own. someone must have already started :drinking: for the Columbus roadie.

TFC07
01-13-2009, 04:46 PM
to each their own. someone must have already started :drinking: for the Columbus roadie.

:D:D:D

BFin
01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
:D:D:D
Thats what I like to hear, I figure I will wait until the one week point so that I don't show up too sloppy with beer goggles big enough for a SSG :eek:.

Just in case no one had seen it yet, Gerry Dobson wrote another pointless article, again detailing how he has no idea whats going on at the draft combine (or anywhere else in the TFC world for that matter). In fact he uses the quote "Everyone is trying to guess what he'll do in the end and I haven't a clue."....so why write an article? Must have been deadline day for the old blog.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/01/13/dobson_stlouis/

Brooker
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM

true enough.....

but i don't think we insult other hockey leagues to the extent that they do with soccer.

rocker
01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
true enough.....

but i don't think we insult other hockey leagues to the extent that they do with soccer.

good point.. i don't even really know much about those leagues. I have a bias in me that says "they are probably not that good" but I don't go around deliberately and maliciously criticizing those leagues.... which is what you get often with the MLS-haters (particularly in Britain). the sarcasm makes me sick.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-13-2009, 06:39 PM
LOL!

She was aiming for that authentic farmer's tan look.;)

MrHawk
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Why did denime post the Sunshine dude?

gardooney
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Sunshine girl reminds me of..........
/

/
/

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
//
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/gardooney/hypno-toad.gif

Hustle
01-13-2009, 08:58 PM
LOL!

haha...had to do a double take there....good eye Roogsy. SSG is getting more and more ghetto...no self respecting photographer would let that go. All the good photogs must be in porn or something.

Redcoe15
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
In a a couple of pictures, the SSG looks like she's got crazy eyes! :eek:

greatwhitenorf
01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
"ostensibly" "semiotics"

Those are Premier League words unsuitable for discussion usage at this level of soccer.

Personally, I love reading English journalists taking cheap shots at MLS and revealing both their insecurity and misplaced sense of moral superiority. They know, in the same way Churchill knew back in the day, what the Americans are capable of when they get rolling.

Given the relatively small number of players and the game's low profile in the States, Americans are capable of focusing resources available to non-mainstream sports better than any other nation on earth. Despite a relatively small player base and low overall profile, the States has risen up to become a serious threat any time they play in a World Cup.

If this progress continues at its present pace, those cheap shot artists in Britain fear and loathe the prospect of America winning its first World Cup before England gains a second.

Toronto_Bhoy
01-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Agreed on most points other than the fact that during the NASL days, there was a slight explosion and exposure that I feel helped spur on 94. At times the Cosmos were drawing over 70,000... It was "trendy", but there was positive exposure. It does dispel the myth that by removing the cap the league will be successful. The Galaxy will outspend, the rest of the teams will be secondary... finally many secondary/peripheral and tertiary fans will fade away.

Totally agree Kingpin. I remember waiting in line for hours for "standing room" tickets to see the Whitecaps play a regular season game!

And remember when the NASL was going there was no such thing as a soccer mom or millions of registered youth players.

The popularity of that league, IMO, is grossly underrated. I'd guess average attendance over the league's most popular period would rival MLS attendance today. Problem was they were spending 5 times the money...25 years ago...