PDA

View Full Version : what do you think the line up will be as is?

Cas87
01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey guys, place your line-up as is, than state what the team needs (through the draft or through the DP slot)

TFC '09
---------------------- Barrett ---------------------
(bench; Dichio, Ibie)
------------ De Rosario ------ Guevara -------------
(bench: Rosenlund, Gaudet? Gala? Harmse)
--------------------- Ricketts ---------------------
--------------------- Robinson ---------------------
Dunivant -- Marshall -- ?? dp ?? -- Brennan -- Wynne
(bench: Attakora, Velez)
----------------- Sutton ---------------------------
(bench: Edwards)

Need: Centre back - through draft or DP
2nd Striker- DP, but Dero and Guevara as arraking MFs work to
Depth - Draft

gmacpheetfc
01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
5 at the back?

Daveisonfire
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Ricketts playing in front of Robbo? Somehow I don't see it happening

---------Barrett-----------------
------------------DeRo----------------
----------------------------
Brennan------------------Ricketts
----------------------------------
---------Robbo---Guevara-------
-----------------------------------
Dunny---Marshall----Harmse--Wynne
----------------------------------------
-------------Sutton--------------------

Guevara has freedom to roam the middle to drop back and distribute as he tended to do last year

Subs:
Edwards
Smith
Attakora
Dichio
Rosenlund

Needs:

CB - either from the draft or trades
ST- DP

JDG
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
It's too early to be considering formations for any purpose other than speculation on where we need to add strength.
Mo still has all of his draft picks & a boatload of allocation money. The roster is going to be very different come opening day.

olegunnar
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
The roster is going to be very different come opening day.

They should have by now learned their lesson.

The deadline for having a set roster should be Feb 2nd...not opening day, not the 2nd week in May.

Feb 2nd.

JDG
01-12-2009, 11:10 AM

The deadline for having a set roster should be Feb 2nd...not opening day, not the 2nd week in May.

Feb 2nd.

While I hope you're right, I'm not holding my breath.

tfc
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
While I hope you're right, I'm not holding my breath.

This, I feel, will be a continuing problem with the MLS, seeing as better european talent sign contracts that let them play the full season. It is always ideal to have the team set for the beginning of training camp, but realistically, it is much more difficult if you want to bring in europeans.

Beach_Red
01-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Feb 2nd.

Which "they" are you talking about, TFC or MLS? As long as the wonky rules exist, it's best for the team to use them to their advantage, even if that means tinkering with the line-up into the season.

If Feb 2nd was a league-wide date for set rosters, then it would be different, or if the goal wasn't to make the playoffs and win the Cup - with this system teams need to peak late in the year, losing games in the beginning of the season doesn't have the same significance as losing them later in the year when you see how all the other teams are doing and what you need to do to make the playoffs. Then you need to go on an unbeaten streak to get the Cup.

We may not like the system, but as long as it's the one the league uses, let's hope TFC are the best at it.

olegunnar
01-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Which "they" are you talking about, TFC or MLS? As long as the wonky rules exist, it's best for the team to use them to their advantage, even if that means tinkering with the line-up into the season.

If Feb 2nd was a league-wide date for set rosters, then it would be different, or if the goal wasn't to make the playoffs and win the Cup - with this system teams need to peak late in the year, losing games in the beginning of the season doesn't have the same significance as losing them later in the year when you see how all the other teams are doing and what you need to do to make the playoffs. Then you need to go on an unbeaten streak to get the Cup.

We may not like the system, but as long as it's the one the league uses, let's hope TFC are the best at it.

Come on now.

Every situation, no matter what business or enterprise, will have it's challenges and constraints.

To constantly lean on them and use them as excuses is the way of a loser.

We have turf, Europeans want to play in NYC or LA, we were an expansion team, mls has wonky rules, there's not a lot of Canadian mls level talent.

All true, but so what. Deal with it. Build a winner. That's why they keep score...to see who's the best.

The fact is that our roster instability has been a problem. If we lean on the built in excuses and set the bar really low, it's not going to get rid of the problem.

So yeah it'll be a challenge having a close to our "mid-season" roster as possible playing together in camp and building chemistry....but it should be the goal.

Hitcho
01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Going back to the original thread post, I don't think there's much choice in it at the moment. In fact, there are very few serious decisions to be made on the starting XI given the current squad. The left side in terms of Brennan and Todd D, and who starts up front out of CB and DD and at CB from Harmse/Velez. That's it really, the rest of the starting XI picks itself:

Sutton

Wynne
Marshall
Velez/Harmse
Brennan/Dunivant

Ricketts
Robbo
Amado
De Ro
Brennan/Smith

Barrett/Dichio

Whether you call it 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1 doesn't really make any difference. Players will be given specific instructiosn for each game, but apart from the three selection choices above, that'll be the team (assuming no additions or injuries).

To be fair it's a pretty solid side if they can all play together, but what worries me is the lack of viable options in terms of who we pick and how we play. You can play both DD and CB and drop one of Amado/DeRo/RR to the bench, but that's about it really.

Beach_Red
01-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Come on now.

Every situation, no matter what business or enterprise, will have it's challenges and constraints.

To constantly lean on them and use them as excuses is the way of a loser.

We have turf, Europeans want to play in NYC or LA, we were an expansion team, mls has wonky rules, there's not a lot of Canadian mls level talent.

All true, but so what. Deal with it. Build a winner. That's why they keep score...to see who's the best.

The fact is that our roster instability has been a problem. If we lean on the built in excuses and set the bar really low, it's not going to get rid of the problem.

So yeah it'll be a challenge having a close to our "mid-season" roster as possible playing together in camp and building chemistry....but it should be the goal.

Oh, I agree it should be the goal. I don't see these things as excuses, I'm saying we have to recognize the situation and maximize it.

Last year I thought we did a good job of dealing with roster instability. Tebily just up and quit (maybe the injury was more serious, he never went anywhere else), Robert gave up, Cunningham gave up, there were injuries and so on - in each case there were holes that had to be filled during the season. Really, the one that never got filled was Tebily, but the rest was handled pretty well.

Roster instability is, as you say, a challenge, but it's also going to be a way of life in MLS for a while, so what the team needs to be good at is reacting to it.

Sure, we'd love to have a roster set before the season starts - it should definitely be the goal, but no other team in MLS will, so if we did that it would be a self-imposed restriction. The restriction on roster the league places on teams are enough, let's not add to them ourselves. We have to use everything available.

DOMIN8R
01-12-2009, 01:25 PM
-------------Barrett------------------
------------------------------------
---------DeRo-------Ricketts-------
---------Robbo-------Guevara-------
Brennan---Marshall----Harmse--Wynne

Hitcho
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
-------------Barrett------------------
---------DeRo-------Ricketts-------
---------Robbo-------Guevara-------
Brennan---Marshall----Harmse--Wynne

Holy shit dude - you must be having fun if you're picking our starting line up with only 10 names in it!!! :D:D:D

Can I suggest adding Dunivant or Dichio to that list?!

olegunnar
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Okay here's what I would want....not what I think will happen

---------DP Striker-----------------
------------------DeRo----------------
----------------------------
NewWinger-----Guevara-------------Ricketts
--------------------------------------
-------------------Robbo---------------------
Dunny---Brennan----Serioux via trade--Wynne
-------------Edwards--------------------

With
Barrett
Dichio
Jo Smith
Gala
Nana

Being the most used subs.

DOMIN8R
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Holy shit dude - you must be having fun if you're picking our starting line up with only 10 names in it!!! :D:D:D

Can I suggest adding Dunivant or Dichio to that list?!

Nice catch:D you fucker:o

Hitcho
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice catch:D you fucker:o

Safer pair of hands than Sutts!! :p

jloome
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
as it stands, i'd like to see something like this:

-----------Sutton-----------
---Attakora--Harmse--Marshall---
Wynne---------------------Brennan
----------Robbo-------------------
------------------Guevara---------
----Ricketts-------------------
---------------DeRosario-----------
-----------Barrett------------------

trane
01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
^ In light of our defensive record, I am all for five at the back. An the shape up front would give problems to the defenders, particullary if they are playing a traditionall 4-4-2

Beach_Red
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
as it stands, i'd like to see something like this:

-----------Sutton-----------
---Attakora--Harmse--Marshall---
Wynne---------------------Brennan
----------Robbo-------------------
------------------Guevara---------
----Ricketts-------------------
---------------DeRosario-----------
-----------Barrett------------------

What about Dunivant?

Captain Croatia
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Christmas Tree FTW.

------------------Sutton------------------
--Attakora--Marshall------Harmse--Wynne--
--Ricketts--------Robinson-------Brennan--
----------DeRo------------Guevara--------
-----------------Barrett-------------------

TFC OZZ
01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Christmas Tree FTW.

Ya..... Wynne does not play left defense.....

trane
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Christmas Tree FTW.

I like that, and it is along the line of what I was thinking. It is still solid defensevely. Great speed on the wings, and scoring and creativity in the midle. I would still like a new CB. Switch Wynne and Attakora. I was also thinking that Wynne and Brennan should switch, meaning keep Brennan on the backline for his defending, and get Wynne up for his speed. Both Wynne and Rickets need to be ready to run there asses off both ways.

Yohan
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I like that, and it is along the line of what I was thinking. It is still solid defensevely. Great speed on the wings, and scoring and creativity in the midle. I would still like a new CB. Switch Wynne and Attakora. I was also thinking that Wynne and Brennan should switch, meaning keep Brennan on the backline for his defending, and get Wynne up for his speed. Both Wynne and Rickets need to be ready to run there asses off both ways.
only problem is, wynne plays suck as a winger. his greatest asset is being able to pounce from the back when he is least expected to make a run, making overlapping runs that throws opposition defence into chaos

the games where wynne was a winger, he was marked pretty tight by opposition LB and didnt have much of an impact on the game

do you guys remember when Carver was talking about English style fullbacks making runs from the back early last season? I think Wynne, and Jimmy B finally 'got it'. Hence why our fullbacks were pretty dangerous esp late in the season

Mark in Ottawa
01-12-2009, 08:04 PM
This works when we have a full squad.
When did we ever have a full squad last year given injuries, international duties and suspensions?

As always the team needs depth as well.

Stryker
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Wynne----Harmse---Marshall----Brennen
----------------Robinson---------------
Ricketts------------------Guevara------
-------------De Rosario----------------
----------Dichio---------Barrett--------

Ossington Mental Youth
01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
It's too early to be considering formations for any purpose other than speculation on where we need to add strength.
Mo still has all of his draft picks & a boatload of allocation money. The roster is going to be very different come opening day.

yep this is correct

Captain Croatia
01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Ya..... Wynne does not play left defense.....

Wow switch it around.

and to posters about Wynne running up the wings...Even with the 4-3-2-1 he can run the flanks with the wing midfielder moving into the middle or behind him when he runs up.

Yohan
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Wynne----Harmse---Marshall----Brennen
----------------Robinson---------------
Ricketts------------------Guevara------
-------------De Rosario----------------
----------Dichio---------Barrett--------
Jimmy B is going to be doing helluva a lot covering the left side, because I think Guevara will play more CM than LW

loconet
01-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Why is Marshall being thrown around in these lineups still? I hope these are lineups with what we have so far right? :( He's way too inconsistent. Need to get rid of him as soon as possible.

To be honest, Velez & Marshall out of the back line would make me happy.

Damien
01-12-2009, 09:57 PM

It's like Canadian Football... different rules! :rolleyes:

http://wkp.fresheye.com/ja/shared/thumb/7/7c/Canadian_football_field.png/350px-Canadian_football_field.png

[NBF]
01-12-2009, 09:58 PM
:canada:4-2-3-1

-----------------Sutton-----------------
-Wynne----Velez----Marshall----Brennan-
---------Robinson----Guevara------------
-Ibrahim------DeRosario--------Ricketts-
----------------Barrett------------------

* In this lineup, both youngsters get playing time, Ibrahim and Smith on the left or right wing.

** I think Johan smith can also be utilized in this formation as a 3rd striker option.

*** Our only question in this lineup would be right wing. Whether ibrahim would need to be subbed in similar to Ricketts and Jarrod at the beginning of the season.

Wolfe
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I think it is too early, half of the team could be gone by the start of the season, or we could have another starter + a DP, so any of this would be purely guessing, but here is my shot as things stand:

-----------------Barrett-----------------
------DeRo----------------Guevara------
-----Brennan-----Robbo-----Ricketts-----
----Dunivant--Marshall--Velez--Wynne----

What do I think?

----------Barrett--------Dichio----------
------------------DeRo-----------------
----Ricketts------Robbo------Guevara----
---Brennan--Marshall--Serioux--Wynne---

What would I like?

-----------Barrett---------DP-----------
----Ricketts-------DeRo------Guevara----
------------------Robbo-----------------
----Brennan---Marshall---DP---Wynne----

Again, all 3 are likely wrong

Hitcho
01-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Playing 5 at the back is hard, you need experienced CBs with a way higher positioning and skill level than we have. Top italian teams can struggle with it. No way we can play it. We don't even have a decent CB pairing, even by MLS standards, and we certainly don't have three of them. Plus the wing backs have to really be in tune with the CBs on picking up the runners and wide guys. It's hard, no way could we pull it off. And we don't have the squad for it either, so not sure why it would even be suggested. Playing an extra defender doesn't mean by default that we'll concede less! The England team with several European class CBs looks like shite when they try and play 3 CBs, because none of them know what to do!

I think with a decent back four and Robbo in front as a DCM we should be tight enough, especially if we play Brennan and Dunivant overlapping on the left.

Captain Croatia
01-12-2009, 11:15 PM
I think it is too early, half of the team could be gone by the start of the season, or we could have another starter + a DP, so any of this would be purely guessing, but here is my shot as things stand:

-----------------Barrett-----------------
------DeRo----------------Guevara------
-----Brennan-----Robbo-----Ricketts-----
----Dunivant--Marshall--Velez--Wynne----

What do I think?

----------Barrett--------Dichio----------
------------------DeRo-----------------
----Ricketts------Robbo------Guevara----
---Brennan--Marshall--Serioux--Wynne---

What would I like?