PDA

View Full Version : Mike Magee was available

jloome
01-08-2009, 10:42 PM
...according to Soccer By Ives. He's a waaay underrated forward who I think would flourish if left at striker, as he's spent more time in the mid over the last three seasons. Came in as a 15-year-old, so he's still young.

He's burned us a couple of times, too. Apparently Bruce Arena's interested in him, but he was rumoured to be coming here at one point last year.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/mls-hot-stove-trade-talk-galore-ahead-of-draft.html#more

Should we take a shot?

Shakes McQueen
01-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Depending on the money, and what Mo's plans are (or aren't), in terms of signing a marquee striker for this season - sure, why not.

From what little I saw of him last season (essentially when they played TFC, haha), he seemed pretty good.

- Scott

Pachuco
01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
He would be a good pick up. solid player who would be around when all the Canadians go off to the Gold Cup.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
meh, he was great when we were desperate for players in that position but since then we've increased value in our draft pick stock and its open season for transfers so id hold off on signing him right away

Ossington Mental Youth
01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
i think theres others out there that could do his job better and would be better signings

rocker
01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
i was reading some NYRB fan threads on this guy, and it seemed most of em wouldn't be sad to see him go.

DigzTFC!
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I think it all depends on the formation of the team. I'm really confused at how things will look.

Dichio---Barrett
DeRo--Robbo--Amado--Ricketts
Brennan--CB---CB---Wynne

?????

Everyone keeps talking about forwards, but how the hell are we going to find them all playing time??? Ibbe, Dichio, Barrett, DeRo, DP, O'Brian White....I think we need to concentrate on getting CBs in their prime.

Shakes McQueen
01-09-2009, 12:09 AM
DeRo isn't going to be a striker, White hasn't even been drafted yet, DP isn't signed, and Ibbe is 17 years old, haha.

Leaving Barrett and Dichio. White won't be an instant starter, even if we do end up with him. Ibbe also needs a year or two more to cook, before he is ready to be a regular starter. And by then, Dichio will likely be gone.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
01-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Very true but Magee has played as an AM mostly as of recent, not to suggest its a HUGE stretch from striker but im still pretty confident that we can find someone whos been playing the position of striker more regularly with a better strike rate

Ossington Mental Youth
01-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I do think one more striker couldnt hurt, im just not convinced of anyone player in the league (sauve a few which are totally out of reach and unrealistic) at this time

Ossington Mental Youth
01-09-2009, 01:21 AM
curious to see whatever happened to any of those CSL players we were supposedly looking at, i guess the removal of the reserve league sorta squashed that huh

J .
01-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I think we are going to get a striker to pair up with Barrett, with Ibbe as first off the bench and Dichio a role player.

AL-MO
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Weren't we supposed to get him last year JDG? :p

tovan
01-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I met Mike Magee in Las Vegas last December in a taxi line up. He seems like a nice guy and loves playing at BMO b/c of the fans. He would probably enjoy playing/living in TO if he came here.

Not sure if he would be a good fit considering that we're pretty solid in MF attackwise with both Guevara and DeRo. CB and F are priorities.

jloome
01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I met Mike Magee in Las Vegas last December in a taxi line up. He seems like a nice guy and loves playing at BMO b/c of the fans. He would probably enjoy playing/living in TO if he came here.

Not sure if he would be a good fit considering that we're pretty solid in MF attackwise with both Guevara and DeRo. CB and F are priorities.

That's my point: I think he'd be more effective as a forward. He partnered Angel there a few times last year and looked pretty good.

jloome
01-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Oop, now Ives has Magee rumoured to be leaving Red Bulls in a trade.

TFC OZZ
01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't want Magee

RedsYNWA
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Ma who?? ohh yah our DP from Barcelona yeah...yaeh..

JDG
01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Weren't we supposed to get him last year JDG? :p

Yes we were. That is the only info I've ever been given that didn't pan out, and I beleive it fell through at the last minute.

jloome
01-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes we were. That is the only info I've ever been given that didn't pan out, and I beleive it fell through at the last minute.

Strange as this may sound, JDG, my source tells me your source was wrong; not because it wasn't there but because by the time you reported it, both sides had already abandoned the idea. Apparently, it was less than a month before that though.

The source in question does not know specifically why, just that it didn't last long as a possibility.

JDG
01-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Strange as this may sound, JDG, my source tells me your source was wrong; not because it wasn't there but because by the time you reported it, both sides had already abandoned the idea. Apparently, it was less than a month before that though.

The source in question does not know specifically why, just that it didn't last long as a possibility.

The timing may match. It was not talked about openly in the forum until a week or two after I was told.

GabrielHurl
01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
He's off to LA - according to MLS Rumours

According to various league sources, Red Bull New York has completed another trade prior to the MLS Draft. Midfielder/Forward Mike Magee has been sent to the LA Galaxy, what New York is receiving in exchange has not yet been confirmed. Speculation is that New York was interested in fullback Mike Randolph, however it is also possible a draft pick or allocation funds may be involved. Magee was the longest tenured Red Bull player, having played for the club for six years. The 24 year old Magee who has represented the United States at the Under 23 level had a bounce back season after two prior injury plagued seasons, he netted 5 goals in 27 appearances for NY in 2008. Galaxy coach Bruce Arena has always rated Magee and has been actively trying to bring him to LA.

MG42
01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
According to Ives MoJo offered the #13 pick for Magee, but NY traded him to LAG...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/greetings-from-st-louis.html#more

The Red Bulls announced the completion of its trade of Mike Magee to the Los Angeles Galaxy, and yes, the deal was for a second-round pick in 2010. Other teams said to have been interested in Magee were Toronto FC (which would have re-united Magee with former Red Bull coach Mo Johnston) and Chicago, which is where Magee is from. Sources also tell me that the Red Bulls passed on a late offer from Toronto of the No. 13 pick for Magee, choosing instead to honor the deal it already had in place with the Galaxy.

noochie
01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Looks like the deal is done according to Ives (Magee to LA). Mo tried to get him with the 13th pick at the last minute but NYRB passed in favor of a 2nd rounder in 2010... what the hell is up with the front office in NY?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
wow, interesting, guess Mo rated highly

noochie
01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Considering that the consensus seems to be that this is a deep draft... why would NY pass on a 1st rounder this year? hmm...

Yohan
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Considering that the consensus seems to be that this is a deep draft... why would NY pass on a 1st rounder this year? hmm...
dont want to reneg on already done deal?

TFC OZZ
01-14-2009, 11:29 PM
I am so happy, I can't tell you how disappointed i would be with magee.

Damien
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
meh, im not concerned about our attacking mid / forward areas... so passing on magee doesnt phase me much... though woulda been nice for depth.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
pretty much agree with Damiiano, woulda been interesting to see what he offers.
i think they passed cuz a) it was an already done deal and b) they dont want to strengthen a conference opponent

London
01-15-2009, 05:44 AM
magee traded to LA wed for a 2nd rounder?

weird

Nuvinho
01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Toronto offered the 13th overall pick, but the deal with the Galaxy was already in place

ensco
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
With both Amado and DeRo, it's not like we need depth at AM.

I wonder if, maybe, the attempt to deal for Magee is signalling that Mo's worried that Guevara's not coming back. Amado's not making big money ($160K is my recollection), he has a family that he's on the record saying he wants to grow up in Honduras....maybe he's staying in Honduras for good.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Nah, im thinking he was going to play as a striker as he originally trained, that was the main intention in bringing him in during the second window last season from my understanding.

rocker
01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
interesting that NY didn't take the higher pick from TFC and instead honored the original deal with the Galaxians.

ensco
01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
NYRB bigsoccer bloggers are upset that Agoos didn't run this process properly and get the higher TFC pick, several want him fired

Lucky Strike
01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
NYRB bigsoccer bloggers are upset that Agoos didn't run this process properly and get the higher TFC pick, several want him fired

I can see why. He got a conditional 2nd rounder whereas TFC offered a 1st rounder straight up. But if an accord was already reached before the TFC offer came in, what can he do? It would be grossly unprofessional to back out.

rocker
01-15-2009, 11:01 AM
but don't deals get made right up to the draft?
isn't it a sign of bad management to commit to a deal when things always heat up right up to the draft?

I would just wait and see what offers I could get before the draft and take my pick.
but i guess since Agoos knows Arena so well, he did him a favour.

Lucky Strike
01-15-2009, 11:33 AM
but don't deals get made right up to the draft?
isn't it a sign of bad management to commit to a deal when things always heat up right up to the draft?

I would just wait and see what offers I could get before the draft and take my pick.
but i guess since Agoos knows Arena so well, he did him a favour.

Perhaps so and maybe that's what they're criticizing him on (I haven't read what they say). Maybe LA said, if you don't take it now, it's off the table or something. We just don't know enough to judge, though it appears very bad. The pick RBNY received is for 2010 if that makes a difference - just an FYI.