PDA

View Full Version : Team-by-team winter checklists :TFC

deltox
01-08-2009, 08:25 AM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090107&content_id=210975&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Toronto FC: Talk about sitting pretty in the draft. The BMO bunch will select at Nos. 2 and 4 overall next week in St. Louis. Which way will they go?
They still need some help along the back line, but the most pressing need remains at forward. Chad Barrett and Danny Dichio might be too much the same; both are physical target strikers. Is there a player in the draft capable of making an instant impact as a second striker? That's what technical director Mo Johnston and manager John Carver must decide.
Of course, Johnston and Carver remain interested in pursuing a designated player, and that unnamed biggie is more likely to fill the forward spot. So, the BMO brain trust may look elsewhere to find a much-needed center back, someone with a little speed, but someone who can stabilize the back line in moments of pressure. TFC was tied for last in the league in 2008 in goals allowed over the last 15 minutes. The other shoe that needs to fall here is Dwayne De Rosario, and for more than one reason. "De Ro" may yet land in Europe instead of settling into soccer life in his hometown. And if he stays, where will he play? At attacking midfield, where he was so successful in Houston? If he's there, what of playmaker Amado Guevara? Or will De Rosario line up as that second striker, in front of Guevara?

Oldtimer
01-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Didn't we know this was coming?

trane
01-08-2009, 09:19 AM
While it is not impossible, DeRo's days of going to Europe seem to have passed him. Further, Guevarra is a playmaking CM and Dero is more of a pure AM, so were is the problem of playing them together? I do not see it. It is like saying what will Milan do with Kaka, Ronadinho and Pirlo? The asnwer is score lots of goals.

CretanBull
01-08-2009, 09:23 AM
^ I agree completely, but I also think that the cost of bringing in a DP might be letting go of Guevara's contract - I think that's less likely if the DP comes during the sumer and will represent less of a cap hit.

Pigfynn
01-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Barrett

DeRo

J.Smith Guevarra Robbo Ricketts

Brennan Serioux Attakora/?? Wynne

....and done :)

Stryker
01-08-2009, 11:09 AM
De Ro may yet land in Europe instead of settling into soccer life in his hometown.
The fact that this was on the MLS site rather than anywhere else concerns me greatly. If that was the case, we'd be out a player but would at least get our share of the transfer fee right?
If DE RO goes to Europe he's selling out his hometown bigtime.

Parkdale
01-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm sure that little nugget of info was put into the release for the sake of Dero's agent.

Wagner
01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm sure that little nugget of info was put into the release for the sake of Dero's agent.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
just posturing.

Wagner
01-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I know DeRo has to look after #1.

with that said...just get here and play nice already.

Honestly, as the first real Star that TFC has had...he could rake in a lot of dough through endorsements, soccer schools, appearance...."meet DeRo at Brampton Kia dealership..."

If he played his cards right, and plays nice with the media and fans...he'll make up that $200K he's looking for.

Stryker
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Why would a writer employed by MLS attempt to give DERO's agent more leverage to get more dough out of MLS? Doesn't add up IMO.

MG42
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090107&content_id=210975&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp
"De Ro" may yet land in Europe instead of settling into soccer life in his hometown.

DeRo doesn't want to play on the BMO turf, so he's going to Europe :lol:

Pachuco
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't like the Dero comment. Although I'm pretty sure Mo won't be selling Dero to Europe this year. He can leave on his own terms in 2010 though.

Stryker
01-08-2009, 11:46 AM
DeRo doesn't want to play on the BMO turf, so he's going to Europe :lol:
Yup. Guzman knocked the tuff again a couple days ago as well.
Carver's gonna snap and rip the turf up himself one day.

ensco
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
DeRo can't play in Europe this year unless MLS/TFC sell him, as he is under contract. Kind of surprising that an MLS website would say he might go, without pointing that out.

Parkdale
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Why would a writer employed by MLS attempt to give DERO's agent more leverage to get more dough out of MLS? Doesn't add up IMO.

other direction. They're saying dero might come, or maybe not. whatever, no biggie.

If they said We freakin' need this guy! He is the second coming of Pele!!!
then it would change how the agent sees the whole thing. Maybe they're saying
go on... try to land something in Europe. See how that goes for you.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Toronto FC: Talk about sitting pretty in the draft. The BMO bunch will select at Nos. 2 and 4 overall next week in St. Louis. Which way will they go?
They still need some help along the back line, but the most pressing need remains at forward. Chad Barrett and Danny Dichio might be too much the same; both are physical target strikers. Is there a player in the draft capable of making an instant impact as a second striker? That's what technical director Mo Johnston and manager John Carver must decide.
Of course, Johnston and Carver remain interested in pursuing a designated player, and that unnamed biggie is more likely to fill the forward spot. So, the BMO brain trust may look elsewhere to find a much-needed center back, someone with a little speed, but someone who can stabilize the back line in moments of pressure. TFC was tied for last in the league in 2008 in goals allowed over the last 15 minutes. The other shoe that needs to fall here is Dwayne De Rosario, and for more than one reason. "De Ro" may yet land in Europe instead of settling into soccer life in his hometown. And if he stays, where will he play? At attacking midfield, where he was so successful in Houston? If he's there, what of playmaker Amado Guevara? Or will De Rosario line up as that second striker, in front of Guevara?

Fack, why is everything so confusing!?!?

billyfly
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
At the end of the day Morgan from TorStar was right. Something was up.

T_Mizz
01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
No way this is happening because then all that bs he said about being elated to be back home was blowing smoke up Canada's collective ass, kick him off the CMNT if he leaves.

MUFC_Niagara
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
wow....i'll be gutted if he leaves, gutted....

Keyman
01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
According to Dick Howard, everything is A-OK

billyfly
01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I hope it is.

MUFC_Niagara
01-08-2009, 09:05 PM
According to Dick Howard, everything is A-OK

Where is this?

scooter
01-08-2009, 09:33 PM

taking advantage of fans who want a winning team
he needs to fall in line
take his 325 grand and play football
endorsements should follow for way more dosh
why did dichio and robo take pay cuts
i know everyone does not want to hear this
but come to play for us or fuck off

J .
01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
DeRo would be doing nothing to help the game in Canada, we need an all star on TFC to improve the game in Canada. He can be selfish or help build up Canadian soccer. So many kids could look up to him and desire to play pro soccer.

He can either look out for #1 or be #1. Up to him.

Luanda
01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
DeRo can't play in Europe this year unless MLS/TFC sell him, as he is under contract. Kind of surprising that an MLS website would say he might go, without pointing that out.

If MLS/TFC sell him, what % would come to TFC? Unless the sale would involve lots of $, I just do not see TFC gaining enough to go after a super DP. So, I see DeRo staying where he was traded to and TFC possibly brining in a mid-level DP. The final answer to the puzzle should be coming after Jan. 15.

jloome
01-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Just to calm the excitement somewhat, I should point out that the whole piece is riddled with errors. He has several players out of position, seems to have missed the Nate Jaqua to Seattle bit entirely, missed the Julius James trade entirely and has Sean Franklin "shoring up" the LA central defense, even though he's a five foot 10, 150 pound fullback.

EDIT: Oh, and DeRo's under contract until 2011 so I somehow doubt he's going anywhere, barring a massive transfer fee payment. Unlikely.

brad
01-09-2009, 06:46 PM
EDIT: Oh, and DeRo's under contract until 2011 so I somehow doubt he's going anywhere, barring a massive transfer fee payment. Unlikely.

There's the key point. Massive transfer fee. MLS over values their players. DeRo is one of the leagues poster boys, they would slap a hefty price tag on him. No European club in their right might is going to splash out big $$$ for a player on the wrong side of 30 that is unproven in Europe.

Keyman
01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Where is this?
I asked him myself. He said he had talked to De Rosario and everything was fine. He had been out of the country, and he had no worries about contract negotiations.

Big Bruva
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Happens all the time in europe and MLS but a lot in europe so dont be shocked.

RedRum
01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
If MLS/TFC sell him, what % would come to TFC?

I believe it is 2/3 to the team and 1/3 to the league.

Chewy Unikronik
01-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Not the case...

All money under the salary cap (allocation as well) is already allocated to each time by the MLS, so that won't hurt them.

Anything above is paid by the team, aka DP... and that only hurts the team.