PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition game TFC vs Impact?

tfcmanu
01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I heard a while back TFC vs Impact game in February/09 @ the Olympic dome in Montreal, is this still happening that would be awesome, anybody with Info. :noidea:

- MTL in Italy from January 31 to February 13

- Maybe game against TFC on FEB 16/09 Family Day or Feb 21/09

- Santos Laguna @ Impact

- Feb 25, 2009 7pm Olympic Stadium

Will TFC want this stay tuned.

Super
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm not roadtripping for a friendly. Would be better to play the game at Skydome. They'd sell more tickets that way.

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Can they put people in Olympic Stadium, or are pieces of it still falling off?

Where is the Impact playing its Fevruary Champions League game, someone mentioned Florida?

Parkdale
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not roadtripping for a friendly.

There would be nothing friendly about it.

tfcmanu
01-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Where is the Impact playing its Fevruary Champions League game, someone mentioned Florida?

I know the Impact want to prepare for CONCACAF Championship, However Impact will have to play @ the Olympic Stadium there is problems with the stadium and I heard a while back that TFC vs MTL exhibition game in FEB/09...If Florida is the destination this might not happen.

canadian_bhoy
01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
There would be nothing friendly about it.

Ah yes - our bitter rivalry with Montreal.

....How come we are allowed to manufacture a rivalry with Montreal, but get mad when TFC tries to make up a rivalry with Columbus?

Billy the kid
01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I hadn't heard anything about this. Was it in an article or something? It'd be great if it happenned.

nfitz
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Where is the Impact playing its Fevruary Champions League game, someone mentioned Florida?Someone on Wikipedia has posted it as 7 pm on Feburary 25 at Olympic Stadium. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2008%E2%80%9309_Knockout _Rounds) Not sure how official that is. I haven't heard any suggestion that they'll play anywhere else. Apparently training camp starts in Montreal tomorrow, and they are going to be be in Italy from January 31 to February 13 - so looks like they are taking the game seriously. So there's certainly an opportunity for an match with TFC the week of the 16th - if TFC is up to it.

Nothing to say that they couldn't schedule one of the Canadian championship games for Feb.

AL-MO
01-06-2009, 03:21 PM

....How come we are allowed to manufacture a rivalry with Montreal, but get mad when TFC tries to make up a rivalry with Columbus?

I don't think there is anything manufactured about it. I couldn't make it to MTL for the match, but I know what went down.

Bluenose13
01-06-2009, 03:26 PM

....How come we are allowed to manufacture a rivalry with Montreal, but get mad when TFC tries to make up a rivalry with Columbus?Montreal vs Toronto in anything is an automatic rivilary

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 03:30 PM

We're allowed to manufacture rivalries, you're not allowed to ;).

Shouldn't Montreal be selling tickets to a game in February by now? We'd be freaking out if we didn't even know where the game was going to be held....

Shaughno
01-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Come on Mike, I know you're dumb... but you aren't THAT dumb! :lol:

nfitz
01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Montreal vs Toronto in anything is an automatic rivilaryWell it seems to be in Toronto; but growing up in Montreal, I was shocked to find out that Torontonians think there is a rivalry between the Canadians and the Maple Leafs. Philadelphia, sure; Boston, sure. Quebec City (back then at least), sure. And certainly more recently with Ottawa. But the Leafs???

Shaughno
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Well it seems to be in Toronto; but growing up in Montreal, I was shocked to find out that Torontonians think there is a rivalry between the Canadians and the Maple Leafs. Philadelphia, sure; Boston, sure. Quebec City (back then at least), sure. And certainly more recently with Ottawa. But the Leafs???

Ask the guys that got jumped when we were in Montreal how they feel.

pekduck
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Well it seems to be in Toronto; but growing up in Montreal, I was shocked to find out that Torontonians think there is a rivalry between the Canadians and the Maple Leafs. Philadelphia, sure; Boston, sure. Quebec City (back then at least), sure. And certainly more recently with Ottawa. But the Leafs???

I have more than a share of friends who grew up in Montreal, studied in U de M, and it's automatic a hate of anything Toronto from their perspective. That includes the Leafs, regardless of how sadly they have been in the last decade.

Bluenose13
01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
I have more than a share of friends who grew up in Montreal, studied in U de M, and it's automatic a hate of anything Toronto from their perspective. That includes the Leafs, regardless of how sadly they have been in the last decade.Absolutely.......I do a lot of business with people from Montreal & they despise the Leafs. It's the oldest rivilary in the NHL.

Parkdale
01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
and there you go Bhoyo..... proof. We have a rivalry with the Impact.

Bluenose13
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
and there you go Bhoyo..... proof. We have a rivalry with the Impact.Tic Tac Tabernac.......

Parkdale
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Tic Tac Tabernac.......

WHO THE FUCK'S THE IMPACT???

Chase
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
When they came to BMO they were very disrespectful. Down with the Impact!!!

billyfly
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Rivalry aint what it used to be.

Montreal is FULL of people not originally from there just like Toronto so of course there are some people in MTL that dont care about the Leafs just like there are people here who dont care about Montreal.

To say there is no ribalry is BS though.

Parkdale
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Montreal is FULL of people not originally from there just like Toronto so of course there are some people in MTL that dont care....

And a huge group of Montrealers came to Toronto in the 90's.
All the Major Banks and tons of big companies moved their
offices from MTL to TO because they didn't want to be in a
province that could possible vote to separate (to say nothing
of kooks like the FLQ). Many Montrealers were very bitter
about business leaving their city for ours. The rivalry is huge.

granted, it's a sibling rivalry, and in the end, our dorky older brother,
Ottawa, always makes us play nicely.

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
And a huge group of Montrealers came to Toronto in the 90's.
All the Major Banks and tons of big companies moved their
offices from MTL to TO because they didn't want to be in a
province that could possible vote to separate (to say nothing
of kooks like the FLQ). Many Montrealers were very bitter
about business leaving their city for ours. The rivalry is huge.

granted, it's a sibling rivalry, and in the end, our dorky older brother,
Ottawa, always makes us play nicely.

It's 101 or the 401. There may have even been a song. Of course, it started in the late 70's and really picked up in the 80's. I didn't get thrown out till 1990 ;).

But really, a Habs-Leafs rivavlry was never that big a deal in Montreal. In the 70's the rivalry was Philly and Boston - anyone between Montreal and the cup (my Dad would have said in the 50's and 60's it was even more with Detroit than Toronto, but maybe he just hated Detroit. Toronto snuck in and won a couple cups when they were underdogs, but they never dominated the league). In the 80's it was Quebec - that was a rivalry. It fit the political map of Quebec almost perfectly, PQ-Nordiques against Liberal-Canadiens. I rented an apartment from a guy in the 80's who was a big PQ supporter and didn't speak any english and he told me he and I would have trouble - in the playoffs. He was actually a great landlord.

There may be more rivalry coming now that Montreal and Toronto are close to the same size. Remember in the 70's Montreal's population was a lot more than Toronto's, Montreal had Expo and the Olympics and really thought it was on the world stage and Toronto was some provincial backwater - which in the 70's was sort of true.

Finally Toronto is starting to step up and strut a little. I would love to crush the L'Impact every time we play them and I don't feel like a traitor to Montreal at all.

Shakes McQueen
01-06-2009, 04:11 PM

The Grey Cup was played there in November, so I assume it's good to go. :D

- Scott

Hitcho
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Plus if you go back even farther to before Canada as a political country existed, there's the rivalry (if wars can be toned down to something as meek as a "rivalry" that is) between the french and the english that took place on what used to be lower and upper canada.

There's also the geogrpahic rivalry, which is the basis of most sporting rivalries (LFC v MUFC, LFC v Everton, Arsenal v Tottenham, etc). Might not be that close in terms of miles, but in the context of Canada as a whole, it's a pretty close rivalry geogrpahically.

Parkdale
01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
If you want to take it in another direction.... Buffalo and Toronto used to have a huge rivalry over who would be the biggest player on Lake Ontario. You can tell who won that one.

canadian_bhoy
01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Come on Mike, I know you're dumb... but you aren't THAT dumb! :lol:

I'm not saying that I agree with the trumpted up Columbus rivalry...but I think the Montreal one is equally trumpted up.

My list of hated teams against TFC pretty much starts and ends with NYRB. I don't like the other teams, but really NYRB is the only thing close to a rival that we have.

As for the Impact....I don't like them, but I'm indifferent to them....I don't care....who the F's the impact anyways?

billyfly
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
It's 101 or the 401. There may have even been a song. Of course, it started in the late 70's and really picked up in the 80's. I didn't get thrown out till 1990 ;).

But really, a Habs-Leafs rivavlry was never that big a deal in Montreal. In the 70's the rivalry was Philly and Boston - anyone between Montreal and the cup (my Dad would have said in the 50's and 60's it was even more with Detroit than Toronto, but maybe he just hated Detroit. Toronto snuck in and won a couple cups when they were underdogs, but they never dominated the league). In the 80's it was Quebec - that was a rivalry. It fit the political map of Quebec almost perfectly, PQ-Nordiques against Liberal-Canadiens. I rented an apartment from a guy in the 80's who was a big PQ supporter and didn't speak any english and he told me he and I would have trouble - in the playoffs. He was actually a great landlord.

There may be more rivalry coming now that Montreal and Toronto are close to the same size. Remember in the 70's Montreal's population was a lot more than Toronto's, Montreal had Expo and the Olympics and really thought it was on the world stage and Toronto was some provincial backwater - which in the 70's was sort of true.

Finally Toronto is starting to step up and strut a little. I would love to crush the L'Impact every time we play them and I don't feel like a traitor to Montreal at all.

You need to research that a bit bud. Montreal was bigger but by not that much. 100,000 bigger maybe. Toronto was NEVER a backwater and in fact Toronto's size and power now over Mtl far outweighs anything Mtl ever had over Toronto. Look it up.

AL-MO
01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm not saying that I agree with the trumpted up Columbus rivalry...but I think the Montreal one is equally trumpted up.

My list of hated teams against TFC pretty much starts and ends with NYRB. I don't like the other teams, but really NYRB is the only thing close to a rival that we have.

As for the Impact....I don't like them, but I'm indifferent to them....I don't care....who the F's the impact anyways?

But why the Red Bulls? Because of the shit in the hallway between the players?

Broadview
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Don't we owe Mr. Saputo a friendly for signing the great Adam Braz?

canadian_bhoy
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
But why the Red Bulls? Because of the shit in the hallway between the players?

1) the players have a history of not getting along

2) they are close by MLS standards

3) Each game has been a battle

4) results have tended to have major impacts on each others fortunes

KrazyKanadian
01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
So it appears nobody has any info on whether or not there's a match between these two teams, huh?

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 04:32 PM
You need to research that a bit bud. Montreal was bigger but by not that much. 100,000 bigger maybe. Toronto was NEVER a backwater and in fact Toronto's size and power now over Mtl far outweighs anything Mtl ever had over Toronto. Look it up.

Well, you see where Parkdale mentioned all those head offices that moved out of Montreal in 70's and 80's? Well, before then the head offices of most of Canada's banks and big companies were in Montreal. Way back, before Canadian news shows talked about, "Bay Street," as the Canadian "Wall Street," they talked about Old Montreal where the bank and big company head offices were located.

I guess if you count the population of just the City of Montreal and just the city of Toronto and not the suburbs it was closer, but I have to say, when I visited Toronto in the early 80's it was close to a backwater then, or as someone called it, "The world's biggest hick town." It wasn't too far from Doug and Bob McKenzie and Wayne's World. The difference between Montreal and Toronto even as recently as the early 80's was big. Look at the difference between Toronto of 1980 and Toronto of today. Almost all of downtown Toronto dates from the late 70's on. This is a new city.

Don't get me wrong, I love Toronto, but Montreal used to really look down its nose at Toronto. Which is why I want TFC to crush them.

Parkdale
01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
but I have to say, when I visited Toronto in the early 80's it was close to a backwater then, or as someone called it, "The world's biggest hick town." It wasn't too far from Doug and Bob McKenzie and Wayne's World.

I see that. Back then, Toronto the good was about as metropolitan as Hamilton is today. No Sunday shopping, not booze on sunday.... meh.

Shaughno
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
1) the players have a history of not getting along

2) they are close by MLS standards

3) Each game has been a battle

4) results have tended to have major impacts on each others fortunes

In that case would Shitcago not be more of a rivalry? Both on and off the pitch?

olegunnar
01-06-2009, 04:44 PM
I heard a while back TFC vs Impact game in February/09 @ the Olympic dome in Montreal, is this still happening that would be awesome, anybody with Info. :noidea:

- Santos Laguna @ Impact

Do you work for TSN? :rolleyes:

Right when we were getting to the nitty gritty of their shady practices...a Limpact thread!! Brilliant

Now I'm off to put my tin foil hat back on. The CIA is after me! :drinking:

tfcmanu
01-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Do you work for TSN? :rolleyes:

Right when we were getting to the nitty gritty of their shady practices...a Limpact thread!! Brilliant

Now I'm off to put my tin foil hat back on. The CIA is after me! :drinking:

TSN????....http://www.getsmileyface.com/sm/drink/trink39.gif

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-06-2009, 04:59 PM

- Santos Laguna @ Impact

who was the source? :drinking:

nfitz
01-06-2009, 05:09 PM
who was the source? :drinking:I noted elsewhere that the date and time are shown on the Wikipedia article about this years Champion's League. Montreal's Italy tour is mentioned in a press release yesterday on Impact's website. Anything else (including the date and time) are conjecture, I'd say.

As for Olympic Stadium being good to go because it was used for the Grey Cup. It's been well documented that Olympic Stadium is no longer available between December 1st and March 30th because of safety concerns due to the snow load on the roof:
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=894948

Obviously they are trying to get waivers from everyone to use it anyway - presumably they are praying for not having much snow.

billyfly
01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, you see where Parkdale mentioned all those head offices that moved out of Montreal in 70's and 80's? Well, before then the head offices of most of Canada's banks and big companies were in Montreal. Way back, before Canadian news shows talked about, "Bay Street," as the Canadian "Wall Street," they talked about Old Montreal where the bank and big company head offices were located.

I guess if you count the population of just the City of Montreal and just the city of Toronto and not the suburbs it was closer, but I have to say, when I visited Toronto in the early 80's it was close to a backwater then, or as someone called it, "The world's biggest hick town." It wasn't too far from Doug and Bob McKenzie and Wayne's World. The difference between Montreal and Toronto even as recently as the early 80's was big. Look at the difference between Toronto of 1980 and Toronto of today. Almost all of downtown Toronto dates from the late 70's on. This is a new city.

Don't get me wrong, I love Toronto, but Montreal used to really look down its nose at Toronto. Which is why I want TFC to crush them.

That's b/c they tore down all the old buildings from the 1800's!! Toronto is not a new city. The Megacity that it is today is new but Mtl was never bigger than Toronto than how Toronto is bigger than Mtl currently. The turning point was the large number of businesses that left Mtl in the 70s and 80s but the "looking down" was more pseudo french arrogance than anything else.

You can say that Mtl was more hip or "euro" and Toronto was "the good", but to say that Mtl was bigger and badder than Toronto tells me more about your impressions than fact.

billyfly
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
My apologies for hijacking this thread. I will stay on the topic of this thread. I hope there is a friendly as I could make it a trip to also visit the MTL cousins (and spit in their fancy city folk coffees).

Oldtimer
01-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Toronto was culturally a backwater until the 1970's when immigration started turning a very dull and conservative place into somewhere interesting. Size of city has nothing to do with it.

David_Oliveira
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a simple solution for them. Play the games in reverse!!!! BOOM
Limp act Visits Santos Laguna in Feb and then come home March 5. The ground should be ok to go

Oldtimer
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Montreal has always been a rival to Toronto. Whether it is hockey, gridiron, or now soccer, Montreal has always been the team to beat.

Every time I see the Impact go higher in the CCL standings, I look forward to next summer when we have our opportunity to take both the Voyageurs Cup and their CL spot away from them.

billyfly
01-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Toronto was culturally a backwater until the 1970's when immigration started turning a very dull and conservative place into somewhere interesting. Size of city has nothing to do with it.

I will agree with this statement if by culturally you mean Toronto was more conservative in attitudes (no open drinking, no shopping on Sundays etc).

Bars92
01-06-2009, 07:00 PM
How come in Ontario lots of people like the Habs, but in Quebec the Leafs are hated pretty much province-wide? Man, I hate Montreal..

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
How come in Ontario lots of people like the Habs, but in Quebec the Leafs are hated pretty much province-wide? Man, I hate Montreal..

Because lots of people moved from Quebec to Ontario but very few move from Ontario to Quebec?

To get back on topic, I'd like to see an exhibition game against Montreal in February - I'd like to see ANY game in February. This off season is brutal, we're arguing about the population of cities in the 1960's ;).

nfitz
01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
We could get real lucky, and there will be a tonne of snow in Montreal, and they have to play the Champions League game at the Skydome (though knowing our luck, they'll decide there are more Quebeckers in Florida).

Blizzard
01-06-2009, 10:41 PM
We could get real lucky, and there will be a tonne of snow in Montreal, and they have to play the Champions League game at the Skydome (though knowing our luck, they'll decide there are more Quebeckers in Florida).

Aren't there?

Cashcleaner
01-07-2009, 04:24 AM

You're logic is flawed. We never manufactured any rivalry with Montreal. We predicted all along there would be bad blood between the supporters of the respective teams and that's exactly how things turned out.

Can you really be all that surprised given the history between the two cities? :rolleyes:

James Oliphant
01-07-2009, 05:11 AM

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/soccer/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/stade-olympique.jpg

Yes, that's a roof.

Chewy Unikronik
01-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Absolutely.......I do a lot of business with people from Montreal & they despise the Leafs. It's the oldest rivilary in the NHL.
Actually, I believe Chicago-Detroit is... But, who cares.

Shoot me if you must, but I really dig Montreal. Great parties, architecture and brunettes!!! Oui! Oui!

JDG
01-07-2009, 07:11 AM
http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/soccer/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/stade-olympique.jpg

Yes, that's a roof.

A roof that is falling apart. Wasn't there an incident where a huge chunk of concrete fell onto a daycare in the building? Ben Knight refered to that story in his web stream this past Saturday.

Luanda
01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
I see that. Back then, Toronto the good was about as metropolitan as Hamilton is today. No Sunday shopping, not booze on sunday.... meh.

Beach Red is ABSOLUTERLY right.

And, still.... When it comes to booze, may I remind everyone that in Montreal one can buy booze virtually everywhere and at every hour in that most venerable of institutions -- the depanneur (corner/convinnience store!)

nfitz
01-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Yes, that's a roof.A roof that for which all the occupancy permits were pulled by several agencies from December 1st to March 30th every year after it collapsed under heavy snow a few years ago. Did you not read the National Post article I linked? I certainly expect they will play there, unless the city and OIB bureaucracy stifles them.

nfitz
01-07-2009, 09:28 AM
And, still.... When it comes to booze, may I remind everyone that in Montreal one can buy booze virtually everywhere and at every hour in that most venerable of institutions -- the depanneur (corner/convinnience store!)Seems true of just about anywhere in the world I've ever spent much time ... except Ontario.

Shaughno
01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
You're logic is flawed. We never manufactured any rivalry with Montreal. We predicted all along there would be bad blood between the supporters of the respective teams and that's exactly how things turned out.

Can you really be all that surprised given the history between the two cities? :rolleyes:

Thanks Cash, exactly what I was getting at. Columbus was a load of bollocks, they wanted us to have a rivalry and they created a cup to falicitate it.

Montreal, sure some people walked in with negativity off the bat. Some people, like myself quite like the city but came back from the trip with a hate for the Montreal fans because of their actions. That's how a rivalry should happen, naturally not created for a reason to make a new useless cup.

rocker
01-07-2009, 09:49 AM
i will always remember that montreal team jumping up and down on our pitch that night.
i was so pissed I was heckling the keeper and braz as they celebrated. i will not forget.

canadian_bhoy
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM

I believe that's what is commonly known as a Self-fulfilling prophecy

As for Columbus - as I said in my other post, I don't support the contrived rivalry, I'm just saying that the montreal one is contrived as well (though I will say it is less contrived than the CLB one).

Tintin
01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
i will always remember that montreal team jumping up and down on our pitch that night.
i was so pissed I was heckling the keeper and braz as they celebrated. i will not forget.

I understand your frustration but every team that wins a trophy does that. TFC would have done the same thing in MTL or...

To think of it, they probably would not have done that because they did not take this Tourny serioulsy and thought that they would win with ease. The passion was not there and that was the difference.

Maybe this year...

Parkdale
01-07-2009, 10:16 AM

not when it's already a given.

Saying 'I'm going to be unhappy' will make you unhappy.
Saying gravity will pull the apple from the tree is a given.
Bad blood between Montreal and Toronto is answering to a higher law.

Shaughno
01-07-2009, 10:19 AM

As for Columbus - as I said in my other post, I don't support the contrived rivalry, I'm just saying that the montreal one is contrived as well (though I will say it is less contrived than the CLB one).

What a load of crap Mike. Many people, myself included went to Montreal to support our team in it's first real tournament and didn't have a care in the world for the home fans.

canadian_bhoy
01-07-2009, 10:35 AM
What a load of crap Mike. Many people, myself included went to Montreal to support our team in it's first real tournament and didn't have a care in the world for the home fans.

Give me a break Jay - fair enough if that was your view, but you only need to go back through the threads leading up to the game to see how many people saw montreal as our "bitter rivals" long before the game in montreal even took place.

Boris
01-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Give me a break Jay - fair enough if that was your view, but you only need to go back through the threads leading up to the game to see how many people saw montreal as our "bitter rivals" long before the game in montreal even took place.

If thats the case then we will never have a true rival using your definition of a created rivalry

canadian_bhoy
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
If thats the case then we will never have a true rival using your definition of a created rivalry

Not true - A rivalry needs time to develop.

I find it funny that the same people who say we can't use words like "legend" or "tradition" or "greatest" because those things take "years of history to develop" yet after 2 games against montreal they are our bitter rivals?

I'm not saying montreal won't eventually be our rival - but I think it's premature to say it at this point without accepting that it is somewhat manufactured.

Boris
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
im not saying they are but you seem to just want to say they flat our arent.

i agree that a true rivalry needs time to develop but i think considering last year its on the path to be just that.....

Rudi
01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Not true - A rivalry needs time to develop.
I guess that rules out NYRB, then. :smilielol5:

canadian_bhoy
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
im not saying they are but you seem to just want to say they flat our arent.

i agree that a true rivalry needs time to develop but i think considering last year its on the path to be just that.....

I'm not really adamant either way - and who knows what the future holds, but all I said was that currently, there is a manufactured element to the "rivalry" with Montreal.

flatpicker
01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I haven't read all the banter back and forth here regarding "rivalry"
But I will agree with Mike, in part, that rivalries often take some time to develop (unless some controversial situation takes place to create bad blood between teams, in which case it could be formed overnight). But in the case of Montreal, the "rivalry" exists beyond the confines of soccer. It has existed in hockey over a couple of lifetimes (albeit, not as fierce today), it has existed in politics (French/English struggle), and also the CFL. So having the Impact as a "rival" is a pretty easy thing. Not to mention the "close" proximity compared to MLS teams. Generating a good rivalry in the MLS is difficult because of geography. Within the league I will definitely agree with Mike that it will take time to solidify a true rival.

Wagner
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Didn't TFC owe Saputo a game from the Sutton Deal??

where's BBTB when you need him...

Parkdale
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
and 'Legends' need time to develop too right?

http://www.onsoccer.ca/images/TFC/Dichio-Goal.jpg

legend. done.

Beach_Red
01-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm not really adamant either way - and who knows what the future holds, but all I said was that currently, there is a manufactured element to the "rivalry" with Montreal.

The thing that really has "manufactured" the rivalry is a national championship with only three teams - but how can they NOT become our rivals if we play them every year for the national championship?

Might as well start hating them now.

nfitz
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Of course, any rivalry was manufactured by MLS by putting a team in Toronto ...

So what about this exhibition game then ... anyone in the know?

Technorgasm
01-07-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/champsleague/images/CCLBrackettE.jpg

Seeing their Fuck-shit Logo in that position angers me in a way that makes me want to harm cute lil puppies.

flatpicker
01-07-2009, 11:19 AM
^ maybe I need more coffee... but I am confused by the numbers in that chart!

Is that giving approximate dates??

Never mind... just realised it was a home and away in each round...

duh!

Technorgasm
01-07-2009, 11:27 AM
^^ I Thought The Same Thing!!!

Shaughno
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Much in the same way you are 'bitter' towards NYRB for... well let's face it, really no reason at all since rivals take time to develop according to your statements.

OH THE REDBULLS ARE SHITE!

and that came along long before we had even played them last season.

Wagner
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
and 'Legends' need time to develop too right?

http://www.onsoccer.ca/images/TFC/Dichio-Goal.jpg

legend. done.
i know someone else that became a legend by purchasing a certain canis lupus shirt....

Parkdale
01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
i know someone else that became a legend by purchasing a certain canis lupus shirt....

he was a legend long before that. Since the first full moon really.

trane
01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
^ I was in the midle of rural Sweden driving trought this tiny hick town when I saw a balck an gray Wolf Painting, what was the first thing that came to mind, Parky's "classy" shirt. The horror.

I hope Dichio has a great year. That would be legendary.

jaahuuu
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Actually, I believe Chicago-Detroit is... But, who cares.

Shoot me if you must, but I really dig Montreal. Great parties, architecture and brunettes!!! Oui! Oui!
Chicago and Detroit both started playing in 1926, Montreal in 1909 and Toronto in 1917. Detroit and Toronto have changed names since then, but its still the same franchise.

billyfly
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Maybe Chewy is including baseball teams.

BTW - Hottest Girls I ever met and saw in MTL were Toronto girls.

jimmyjazz
01-07-2009, 09:37 PM
If you want to take it in another direction.... Buffalo and Toronto used to have a huge rivalry over who would be the biggest player on Lake Ontario. You can tell who won that one.

Yes, we kicked them all the way over to Lake Erie!
Get off our Lake, go get your own!

Maybe not Parkdale.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Didn't TFC owe Saputo a game from the Sutton Deal??

where's BBTB when you need him...

He posts on the V's board occasionally. It would be good to have him back here - he puts wikipedia to shame.

As for the Sutton deal, you are right in that we owed Saputo a game as part of that signing. I'm not sure if either of our Canadian Championship games from last season count in that regard.

Yohan
01-07-2009, 11:49 PM
He posts on the V's board occasionally. It would be good to have him back here - he puts wikipedia to shame.

As for the Sutton deal, you are right in that we owed Saputo a game as part of that signing. I'm not sure if either of our Canadian Championship games from last season count in that regard.
normally wouldn't such game clauses be a friendly?

Toronto Ruffrider
01-07-2009, 11:59 PM
normally wouldn't such game clauses be a friendly?

I don't know enough about the deal between TFC and the Impact. Originally, the two clubs were planning a friendly, but that friendly expanded to become a championship that included the Whitecaps. This championship gained further legitimacy once a CCL spot was thrown to the winner of the competition. With all of the intra-Canadian match-ups taking place each year, I have no idea how Joey Saputo currently interprets the original Sutton deal.

tfcmanu
01-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Impact Kicks Off Training Camp.

The Impact will play three exhibition games at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard, in the next few weeks: an intersquad game, Saturday, January 10 (8 pm), a pre-season game against the Trois-Rivières Attak, Saturday, January 17 (8 pm) MAYBE TFC VS IMPACT and a matchup against an opponent to be determined, Saturday, January 24 (8 pm).

The Impact will also play an exhibition game in Quebec City, Sunday, January 18 (1 pm), against the Laval University Men's Team, at the Notre-Dame-de-Foy Campus.
The Impact will train in Montreal in the next three weeks and will then continue its training camp in Florence, in Italy, from January 31 to February 13.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3760856

Cashcleaner
01-08-2009, 01:50 AM

I have to disagree. I don't think anyone from Toronto went to Montreal with the specific intent to cause any trouble. But what ended up happening? Us getting jumped at the tunnel, a lone supporter getting manhandled for his scarf, U-Sector getting grief for *gasp* simply walking into an Ultras bar to say hello...

You can argue that the rivalry with us and Montreal is contrived, but I don't see what we did to create it.

BTW - Does anyone have any more info on this possible friendly?

Pawel
01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
We (U-Sector) had a rivalry with Montreal in the days of the Toronto Lynx, dunno how it was contrived, it's been there before TFC and it's continued till today.

Oldtimer
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I was on the Montreal board several times, and they said that anything against Toronto was a rivalry, and they naturally "hated" Toronto (although they were quite nice personally).

There is nothing contrived about it (such as MLS has done with the "Trillium Cup"). There is natural emnity between the two cities for historical reasons that overshadow the match, and someone who wasn't born in Toronto or Montreal would have trouble understanding it.

We also have a rivalry with NY specifically in soccer because the players on both teams dislike each other so much, but it pales compared with Montreal.

Parkdale
01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
There is nothing contrived about it (such as MLS has done with the "Trillium Cup"). There is natural emnity between the two cities for historical reasons that.....

agreed. let's look at it this way: You can't have a rival that you don't know.

Other than the Columbus Crew, would I have ANY reason to think of that city over another one? What are my feelings on Cleveland? Absolutely neutral. I have no dealings with Cleveland, or Columbus, or Cincinnati. They don't invoke ANY feeling in me.

Now Montreal... is a city that is involved with my everyday life; Some of my Friends are from Montreal, I've been there a number of times, their news is reported on my television, etc etc. They are a perfect candidate for a natural rivalry because the cities actually know each other and have opinions about each other.

Columbus? Columbus Who?

Oldtimer
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
agreed. let's look at it this way: You can't have a rival that you don't know.

Other than the Columbus Crew, would I have ANY reason to think of that city over another one? What are my feelings on Cleveland? Absolutely neutral. I have no dealings with Cleveland, or Columbus, or Cincinnati. They don't invoke ANY feeling in me.

Now Montreal... is a city that is involved with my everyday life; Some of my Friends are from Montreal, I've been there a number of times, their news is reported on my television, etc etc. They are a perfect candidate for a natural rivalry because the cities actually know each other and have opinions about each other.

Columbus? Columbus Who?

Couldn't have put it better!

Canadian Blue
01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
They are a perfect candidate for a natural rivalry.

Except that they play in a different league. I understand that Montreal is a rival in the little 3 team tournament (what's it called) but really they are no more of a rival than the Whitecaps. Sure parts of Quebec(Montreal) talk shit about Ontario(Toronto) but so does certain areas of BC(Vancouver) therefore the Whitecaps should be equal to the Impact on rivalry terms.

Having a rival in the league makes more sense since we play them at least 2-3 times and our results directly effect the our playoff hopes. Montreal is simply a thorn in our side for a halfassed 3 team tournament...big deal

rocker
01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
We play Montreal twice (2) to make it to the NA Champions League.
We play teams like San Jose, LA, Houston, etc. twice (2) in a season to make the playoffs, a playoffs that I see people on here criticizing as a shitty North American invention that should be dropped (I disagree, but I'll let it go).

I don't see much of a diff there in number... and since we only get 4 canadian team games, those games are more intense and valuable than 2 of 30 league games.

You make rivalries with whoever gets in your way. I hate Montreal already more than some shitbox team from San Jose or some NFL-line-field cunts in NY.

Parkdale
01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Except that they play in a different league.

I was honestly expecting them to get promoted into the MLS. I think most everyone else was. They were just a little late to the party.

romburgundy
01-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Don't we owe Mr. Saputo a friendly for signing the great Adam Braz?

"BRAZ YOU SMELL" audible is one of Canadian Fottball's classic moments on CBC sports :p

Parkdale
01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
"BRAZ YOU SMELL" audible is one of Canadian Fottball's classic moments on CBC sports :p

hahaha... I think that was me. At least I got a text message shortly after laughing about it. They said it was me, but I had no idea the sound could pick me up. If it wasn't me, I'd like to know who it was.

Beach_Red
01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Sure parts of Quebec(Montreal) talk shit about Ontario(Toronto) but so does certain areas of BC(Vancouver)

Yeah, but nobody talks shit with that arrogant, obnoxious tone like Montreal. They're still bitching that their film festival got overshadowd by ours.

Really, it's not Montreal, it's the Impact - I really want to crush them.

Heathen
01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I think the experiences of TFC fans who went to Montreal for the Honduras WCQ hasn't improved the relationship any either

Oldtimer
01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I was thinking about this thread when reading about last night's hockey game.

The stats of the Habs-Leafs game tell it all:

8 (!) game misconducts!
Over 60 minutes of penalties awarded during a 1:25 minute stretch!

There is nothing manufactured about a Toronto-Montreal rivalry, regardless of the sport.

Luanda
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I was thinking about this thread when reading about last night's hockey game.

The stats of the Habs-Leafs game tell it all:

8 (!) game misconducts!
Over 60 minutes of penalties awarded during a 1:25 minute stretch!

There is nothing manufactured about a Toronto-Montreal rivalry, regardless of the sport.

What happened last night was only because the Maple Leafs went crazy.
The real rivalry for Mtl-Canadiens has been and continues to be the Boston Bruins. How many times in the history of hockey has Montreal faced the Maple Leafs in the playoffs? 15, in total, if I am not mistaken. Compare that figure with the number of times Montreal has faced Boston! 3 times more!!

Toronto Ruffrider
01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
What happened last night was only because the Maple Leafs went crazy.
The real rivalry for Mtl-Canadiens has been and continues to be the Boston Bruins. How many times in the history of hockey has Montreal faced the Maple Leafs in the playoffs? 15, in total, if I am not mistaken. Compare that figure with the number of times Montreal has faced Boston! 3 times more!!

Well, for about 20 years or so it was next to impossible for the Leafs to play against the Habs in the playoffs, what with inter-conference opposition not meeting until the Cup finals. It wasn't until 1999 that the Leafs finally moved to the Eastern Conference and got more than a theoretical shot at facing the Habs past mid April.

Of course, Montreal does have a healthy rivalry with the Boston Bruins, but one has to wonder what that rivalry would be like if those two teams went 30 years without facing one another in the playoffs. If Toronto got to face Montreal in the playoffs every few years, our rivalry with the Habs would be insane!

Beach_Red
01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
If Toronto got to face Montreal in the playoffs every few years, our rivalry with the Habs would be insane!

For sure, it would be easy to pick up a Montreal-Toronto rivalry that, you're right, pretty much died out in the late 70's.

Oldtimer
01-09-2009, 04:30 PM
For sure, it would be easy to pick up a Montreal-Toronto rivalry that, you're right, pretty much died out in the late 70's.

Same thing would apply in soccer.

There was a healthy rivalry between the Lynx and the Impact (for those few of us who went to the matches). If the Impact moved to MLS it would be great.

The last Lynx match for 2006 was the last ever match against Montreal. TFC had a scout at that match wearing an MLS jacket. Montreal had a real standout performance by their 'keeper that match. Who was he now? Oh yes, a certain Greg Sutton. :D

The U-Sector lit a single flare at the end of that match, which looked really funny. Great times.