PDA

View Full Version : TSN and MLS??

Wagner
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
TSN basically made the World Juniors what it is...
TSN and their coverage of the CFL was a huge part of reviving the league.

TSN is the sports leader.
And they basically took ownership of the above items and made them very viable and profitable content.

With TFC, and likely Vancouver and MTL in the near future. Why not get in on the ground floor, and really ramp up MLS coverage in canada, and have some alternate summer programming to go along with the CFL, maybe even make TSN2 the MLS station....

my 2 cents. :hump:

Flipityflu
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
what we need is televised away games. i enjoy the cbc broadcast, but since i'm at all the home games, it is a bit anti-climatic to watch them.

MFG1
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Isnt TSN just a bastardized version of ESPN? WHat I mean is TSn uses alot of the flash and show templates that ESPN does which leads me to believe they have some or part interest( silent partner type) association. SportsCenter is an ESPN thing isnt it?

It will never happen, Landsberg would never have it hahahahahaha!!!!!

Wagner
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Isnt TSN just a bastardized version of ESPN? WHat I mean is TSn uses alot of the flash and show templates that ESPN does which leads me to believe they have some or part interest( silent partner type) association. SportsCenter is an ESPN thing isnt it?

ESPN has some sort of deal with TSN.
TSN scoops some of the content...and that's when SportsDesk switched to SportsCentre. (at least they spelled it the canadian way):canada:

rocker
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
it's a good point about TSN. Hockey in this country receives so much extra coverage and "sport building" by the media that it makes me sick. The media does not just report on hockey because people like hockey. They go above and beyond just reporting into cultivating that interest. Shitloads of panel shows and highlight shows will do that to any sport. If soccer received that kind of coverage it would grow almost as big.

S_D
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
ESPN has some sort of deal with TSN.

yeah they do...ESPN owns 20% of TSN ;)

nfitz
01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
We already have TFC games spread over Sportsnet (various channels of it), CBC, CBC Bold, and The Score. And one game last season was even only on GOL TV. And now you want another channel?

And TSN2? That makes sense - put it on a channel not carried on cable in Toronto!

Torcida
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Stupid, Stupid thread.

my 2 cents.

PS TSN sucks.

Wagner
01-05-2009, 11:30 PM
We already have TFC games spread over Sportsnet (various channels of it), CBC, CBC Bold, and The Score. And one game last season was even only on GOL TV. And now you want another channel?

And TSN2? That makes sense - put it on a channel not carried on cable in Toronto!

TSN2 will be on Rogers in Toronto before the end of the Raptors season.

I have expressVu/BellTV in T.O. and I get TSN2.

I'm not saying fragment the current coverage...i'm saying consolidate it...and gloss it up like only TSN can.

I really really appreciate The score covering away games...and CBC coverage is solid...but Bold and GolTV aren't really viable options.

Blizzard
01-06-2009, 12:14 AM
what we need is televised away games. i enjoy the cbc broadcast, but since i'm at all the home games, it is a bit anti-climatic to watch them.

You meant anti-climactic I do believe.

B

Cashcleaner
01-06-2009, 12:35 AM
M'eh. I like TSN's coverage for CFL and hockey, but I'd prefer that CBC gets exclusive broadcasting rights for soccer - provided that they keep it on the regular channels and show the games live as much as possible.

Yohan
01-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I'd be in if all the games are shown live, and TSN puts as much effort into the broadcast as much as CBC does right now

nfitz
01-06-2009, 08:04 AM
TSN2 will be on Rogers in Toronto before the end of the Raptors season.I've seen a lot of discussion complaining that Rogers doesn't carry TSN2 (or RDS HD), but I've seen nothing that says they are adding it - I can't see anything on Rogers website about this. Do you have a reference?

I'm not saying fragment the current coverage...i'm saying consolidate it...and gloss it up like only TSN can.Surely, we'd be better if it was consolidated on a terrestrial channel like CBC that everyone gets, rather than a speciality cable/satellite channel like TSN that doesn't have the same reach.

I really really appreciate The score covering away games...and CBC coverage is solid...but Bold and GolTV aren't really viable options.Not sure why Bold or GolTV aren't any more viable than TSN - it's a heck of a lot cheaper per month. I haven't appreciated The Score - there away coverage has merely been picking up local broadcasts from US stations - very poor coverage too ... some of the commentators seemed very ignorant.

Miko
01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Not sure why Bold or GolTV aren't any more viable than TSN - it's a heck of a lot cheaper per month. I haven't appreciated The Score - there away coverage has merely been picking up local broadcasts from US stations - very poor coverage too ... some of the commentators seemed very ignorant.

The Score has said that they would like to be able to broadcast the away games with their own crew but it isn't financially viable at the moment.

I believe the number of viewers they said they needed was 100K per game to make it possible.

It seems to be a chicken or egg thing...

Wagner
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I've seen a lot of discussion complaining that Rogers doesn't carry TSN2 (or RDS HD), but I've seen nothing that says they are adding it - I can't see anything on Rogers website about this. Do you have a reference?

Surely, we'd be better if it was consolidated on a terrestrial channel like CBC that everyone gets, rather than a speciality cable/satellite channel like TSN that doesn't have the same reach.

Not sure why Bold or GolTV aren't any more viable than TSN - it's a heck of a lot cheaper per month. I haven't appreciated The Score - there away coverage has merely been picking up local broadcasts from US stations - very poor coverage too ... some of the commentators seemed very ignorant.

with 25 raptors games on "The Deuce" Rogers is getting bombarded with phone calls...Rogers is just playing hardball, but will eventually give in.

I prefer nigel and cbc to any other footy coverage. But my main point is that when TSN gets behind something, it typically grows, that's why i cited the WJHC and the CFL, both of them were virtually non-existent until TSN got behind them, wouldn't it be great if TSN made the same investment in TFC/MLS/Canadian soccer.

The number of subscribers for Bold and GolTV are pretty small.

nascarguy
01-06-2009, 08:59 AM
MTL will not get a team in the mls not after the bullshit that the owners pulled last year and if MTL get a team it's going to cost them $50m+ and a 20,000 seats to just get there put in a offer again.

olegunnar
01-06-2009, 09:03 AM
it's a good point about TSN. Hockey in this country receives so much extra coverage and "sport building" by the media that it makes me sick. The media does not just report on hockey because people like hockey. They go above and beyond just reporting into cultivating that interest. Shitloads of panel shows and highlight shows will do that to any sport. If soccer received that kind of coverage it would grow almost as big.

That's my beef wtih the ESPN model that TSN has adopted. They don't just report on the sports news, they create the sports news. If it's not on their network, it doesn't exist.

Phil
01-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't think I agree with TSN being the sports leaders, I think thats what they want us to think. I find their coverage of things not hockey and basketball to be downright horrible. It is probably the last sports station I watch if idle.

Ever since ESPN did that partnership with them I have sensed a loss of 'soul' and an increase in repetitive broadcasting - they keep telling us that hockey is the be and and end all for Canadians and we can only get it on their network. I know ESPN carries Champions League but that is a huge mess IMO.

I want soccer to grow in the NA market and more importantly in the Canadian market but this all depends on the medias support and acceptance of the sport and I can't see TSN doing it. Maybe a similar media push by Rogers along with Vancouver being in the MLS could work.

KrazyKanadian
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
If TSN gets the MLS, where will we get our poker, spelling bee, and dog show fixes?!

ACSertL
I just want to point out the story they had on the broadcast last night about the 1800 square foot Canadian flag at Scotiabank Place last night. Its like it was the first time a giant flag had been unfurled at a sporting event. :rolleyes:

canadian_bhoy
With CTV tightening their belts - I can't see TSN (owned by CTV Globemedia) taking a risk on MLS, especially when it draws less than most other sports they show on the station currently.

Wagner
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I just want to point out the story they had on the broadcast last night about the 1800 square foot Canadian flag at Scotiabank Place last night. Its like it was the first time a giant flag had been unfurled at a sporting event. :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing...
too funny...
like Ottawa invented it...
and they were the first to do it in canada...

canadian_bhoy
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I thought the same thing...
too funny...
like Ottawa invented it...
and they were the first to do it in canada...

And we were?

Fort York Redcoat
01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
TSN has put their lot in with the CFL and would consider the MLS to be competition. The network has worked at stealing CFL coverage from CBC over the past decade and now that they have the Grey Cup it's pretty much theirs. I don't see why they'd want to loosen their grip now. Competition is good for the sport and to see different productions every week may be inconsistent but at least we have variety.

If CBC got exclusive MLS coverage it might hurt the coverage. How many away games did CBC cover?

The away coverage by Sportnet/score was sometimes a pickup but we got to see the games.

TSN/CTV has the rights to the next 2 world cups. This is a bit dodgy to me and says more about $$$ than growing a sport. They'll take the World cup and they'll play those Champions league games cause ESPN wants them to but MLS? Where are the numbers? It's not like it's curling or something.

Wagner
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
And we were?

of course not.

Redcoe15
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Fuck that smarmy bastard Landsberg up the ass with a red hot curling iron!

As for TSN broadcasting TFC games, it might make sense for them given their new channel and the need to fill it with Canadian programming (there will be a deal with Rogers at some point). The question is, just how interested is TSN in regards to TFC and MLS?

bee dubya
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
yeah they do...ESPN owns 20% of TSN ;)

TSN/CTV has the rights to the next 2 world cups. This is a bit dodgy to me and says more about $$$ than growing a sport. They'll take the World cup and they'll play those Champions league games cause ESPN wants them to but MLS? Where are the numbers? It's not like it's curling or something.

ESPN owns more than 20% of TSN, I believe the number is much closer to 33%, the maximum amount of foreign ownership allowed under CRTC rules. When the purchase initially happened, ESPN wanted to rename TSN ESPN Canada but that was shot down when they realized that TSN was a bigger brand within Canada.

CBC has the rights to the next World Cup. I expect to see that the games will be split between CBC, CBC Bold and possibly CBC's new all-sports service that they're trying to launch.

I don't think TSN will be getting involved in the MLS anytime soon. Like someone else has mentioned, it's competition for the CFL and just doesn't win ratings at the moment. I suspect that they'll sit on the sidelines until it grows to a point where it hurts them to not be involved with the sport.

Shakes McQueen
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I said this about five months ago!

If TSN really took on MLS, the way they have taken on the CFL, and tried to push it the same way, MLS viewership could grow exponentially in Canada.

TSN is the major sports channel in this country, not CBC. If TSN had an exclusive contract for TFC games (the way the have one with the CFL), I have no doubt you would see better coverage of the team, with better production values - like HD.

Plus, maybe they could get Nigel Reed, and have him work with Dick Howard in the booth. For those who don't know Howard - he was TSN's soccer analyst during the Euro 2008 tournament.

I appreciate the job Sportsnet and The Score do, but it is really second rate - especially The Score.

- Scott

tfc
01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
i thought that was the plan with mlse buying gol tv or whatever channel it was

Miko
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
One thing that may work in TSN's favour is that there is a Primetime Thursday MLS game every week on ESPN in the States.

If they feel the ratings are strong enough, they may and try to show it up here.

As for the Score's coverage being second rate - at least they stepped up to the plate and bought games.

How pissed would we be if we got no away games at all on television?

If people don't watch because they hate the US local coverage, then they will just not renew their contract and we'll get nothing.

It's not perfect but I'd rather have crappy coverage than none at all.

SilverSamurai
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Hopefully CBC's new sport channel takes off.
I personally find CBC's coverage much better then anything out there. we'll have to see how CTV does with their 2010 Olympics coverage...

SilverSamurai
01-06-2009, 02:01 PM
One thing that may work in TSN's favour is that there is a Primetime Thursday MLS game every week on ESPN in the States.

If they feel the ratings are strong enough, they may and try to show it up here.

As for the Score's coverage being second rate - at least they stepped up to the plate and bought games.

How pissed would we be if we got no away games at all on television?

If people don't watch because they hate the US local coverage, then they will just not renew their contract and we'll get nothing.

It's not perfect but I'd rather have crappy coverage than none at all.
You're right about the score. My beef with them is couldn't they do the audio atleast from TO? I mean, would it really be that hard to do? CTV did it with some of the Canada games, why couldn't the score?
Then we wouldn't have to suffer with the US broadcasters...

Dirk Diggler
01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
To be honest I'd much rather have US commentators than Canadian commentators doing it from their studios in Toronto ... unless ofcourse the US commentators were doing the game from their studio as well. Doing commentary while looking at a tv monitor just ruins the game for me. The calls come off very terribly and half the time the commentators seem just as clueless as the viewers as to whats going on off the pitch. I remember that Brennan goal from a free kick in Columbus during our first season ... was probably the best TFC goal ever but the call was absolutely horrendous since it was being done from a studio.

olegunnar
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I think this thread is veering off topic.

The topic is, since TSN is great at hype and self promotion, and basiclaly brainwashing people into believing they can not miss the programming on their channel, wouldn't it be great if TFC could get a bit of that hype and promotion since it would increase veiwership.

The only hype CBC gives TFC is random lame commercials during Anne of Green Gables re-runs or Show Jumping.

TSN has non stop panel shows where the "experts' talk and hype up the programming to the extent of convincing large amounts of people they HAVE to watch. Add that to non stop ads and you have a World Juniors effect where an obscure tournament is suddenly must see TV

rocker
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I think this thread is veering off topic.

The topic is, since TSN is great at hype and self promotion, and basiclaly brainwashing people into believing they can not miss the programming on their channel, wouldn't it be great if TFC could get a bit of that hype and promotion since it would increase veiwership.

The only hype CBC gives TFC is random lame commercials during Anne of Green Gables re-runs or Show Jumping.

TSN has non stop panel shows where the "experts' talk and hype up the programming to the extent of convincing large amounts of people they HAVE to watch. Add that to non stop ads and you have a World Juniors effect where an obscure tournament is suddenly must see TV

this is totally correct.

it's more than just the game reports. They give the "stories"... the plotlines... the characters... it's like a fricken novel of hockey (or CFL, when that's on.. TSN has made the CFL recently).

Soccer on most stations is this 2 hour broadcast taken totally out of context with hardly any "storylines".

Like if TSN did the same amount of storyline coverage of soccer that they do for hockey and CFL, you'd have a 10 minute report on Schellotto's diving.. insiders talking about what the TFC players think of Schellotto's diving... a report on how TFC players are going to tackle him next game.
Then when the next Columbus-TFC game comes, you'd have a pregame show where we hear about teh diving in the last game at BMO, and interviews with the players in question in the locker room. There's be closeups of Schellotto as he comes out of the hallways onto the field... etc etc....

People don't realize sometimes how much extra storyline crap TSN does for sports it favours.

Think about all those lovely TSN commercials where Rod Smith or some other deep voiced announcer comes on and says "HOCKEY, IT'S OUR GAME!" They just cultivate and reinforce this every day. Now, certainly hockey has a big place in our history. But I know a lot of people who don't play hockey and don't give a shit -- it's not "their game". Last I heard more kids play soccer than hockey now, so doesn't that mean soccer is "OUR GAME!" too? Or can we only have 1 "OUR GAME!" hahah.

rocktml
01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Stay away from TSN2!!!!!

Damn thing is not even offered on Rogers

greatwhitenorf
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, then, won't you all be delighted to learn that sometime in the next two weeks, we should be hearing that MLSE has acquired either a stake or outright ownership of GOL TV.

OH! Was that meant to be kept quiet? Only took three mojitos before the girl from the office let that one slip out.

nfitz
01-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Perhaps she was reading the Globe and Mail last October - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081029.wspt_truths29/BNStory/GlobeSportsSoccer

Like the rest of us ... :)

greatwhitenorf
01-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Oct. 29/08... "However, sources said the deal is close to completion."

She said it's a done deal. At long last.

And bought the next round.

Wagner
01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
NHL and NBA are kind of competitors for winter sports dollars...
NHL = TSN
NBA = TSN2

why not have?
CFL = TSN
MLS = TSN2

brad
01-09-2009, 08:55 AM
NHL and NBA are kind of competitors for winter sports dollars...
NHL = TSN
NBA = TSN2

why not have?
CFL = TSN
MLS = TSN2

Pretty simple, actually. TSN is a Canada wide station, not a Toronto based one. Outside of Toronto and surrounding areas, very few actually care about TFC (and the MLS).

Blizzard
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Pretty simple, actually. TSN is a Canada wide station, not a Toronto based one. Outside of Toronto and surrounding areas, very few actually care about TFC (and the MLS).

.... or the Raptors and the NBA for that matter although I believe it is growing (very slowly).

Perhaps with Vancouver in the picture (please please please) TSN might take an interest altough I doubt it.

Sportsnet Pacific would make sense though.

marquis
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Exactly my thoughts - you don't need 20 years + to grow soccer in North America, all you need is the same media coverage football has in the US or hockey here...in a couple of years soccer would be as big. (If a stupid sport like baseball can be so popular, anything is possible).

Pachuco
01-10-2009, 09:33 PM
M'eh. I like TSN's coverage for CFL and hockey, but I'd prefer that CBC gets exclusive broadcasting rights for soccer - provided that they keep it on the regular channels and show the games live as much as possible.

CBC having exclusive rights to TFC games is a bad idea in my opinion. One thing that will never change is that TFC will always play games during hockey season, particularly during hockey playoffs. So unless CBC stops covering hockey (which I think we all agree won't happen), you will never see a TFC game live over a hockey playoff game. Their solution last year was CBC Bold, which really, I might as well watch the game on you tube because that's pretty much the quality of broadcasting I'm getting there.

Blizzard
01-11-2009, 01:09 AM
CBC having exclusive rights to TFC games is a bad idea in my opinion. One thing that will never change is that TFC will always play games during hockey season, particularly during hockey playoffs. So unless CBC stops covering hockey (which I think we all agree won't happen), you will never see a TFC game live over a hockey playoff game. Their solution last year was CBC Bold, which really, I might as well watch the game on you tube because that's pretty much the quality of broadcasting I'm getting there.

That's nonsense. You are getting the same level of production whether it be on the main network or on Bold. You'd prefer The Score I guess.

I do agree that exclusivity isn't a good idea for any of our broadcasters due to the potential of conflicts. Having the flexibility of two or three outlets is a good thing in spite of the confusion that it can cause.

NF-FC
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
TSN has a patented formula of taking sporting events off the scrap heap, hype the shit out of them, then make a boatload of cash. World Junior Hockey Championships? really? We are the only country in the world that gives a shit, and we only care because TSN tells us it's a test of national pride.

Is TSN interested in MLS? Based on their coverage of TFC...uh, no

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I quite honestly can't stand TSN. I don't like their hockey coverage, their analysts are smarmy know-it-alls like Pierre McGuire and Darren Dreger who really don't do anything but repeat the obvious, and in my opinion they cater to the casuals, while CBC- who thanks to a new program director are now trying to copy the TSN format and it's damn obvious- used to cater more to the traditionalists like myself.

Their coverage of the Champions League also pisses me off to no end. They take the feed straight from Setanta or Fox Soccer Channel and don't provide any analysis or anything like Sportsnet and CBC do.

And then you get the fact that if a sport isn't on TSN, it doesn't exist, and if it is, it's suddenly the most important thing around. World Junior Championships my arse, I'm far more interested in the Spengler Cup and the IIHF Champions Hockey League but neither get more than a brief mention. I just like sports on CBC and even Sportsnet a lot more.

James Oliphant
01-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Their coverage of the Champions League also pisses me off to no end. They take the feed straight from Setanta or Fox Soccer Channel and don't provide any analysis or anything like Sportsnet and CBC do.

That shouldn't be seen as a negative, if you ask me...any "analysis" they attempt to provide would surely be far worse than the lack of it.

bee dubya
01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
^ and TSN's coverage is taken from ESPN services, not Setanta or FSC.

James O is right. TSN doesn't have anyone that could seriously make up a panel to discuss football, not a panel anyone who follows the sport would want to see anyway.

TSN isn't going to be getting involved in MLS unless it makes sense to their bottom line. With the financial situation as it is at the moment, they aren't going to be spending money on sports unless they can sell ads during those games. I can't see TSN being able to sell a 30 second spot for much money during an MLS game, especially one not involving TFC (if they got the Thursday night ESPN games).

rocker
01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
still can't believe how much time poker gets on TSN and Sportsnet. that's a joke.
the economics of broadcasting make showing games of chance more valuable than a real sport like soccer. ugh.

TorCanSoc
01-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I think we're all stunned the fact that this stuff is on sports channels. I just won $120 off my friends last night. I must say, I do watch poker. Just cause I play once in a while.