PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get around the cap

TFCREDNWHITE
01-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I thought of some creative ways....maybe other supporters have more creative ideas!?

Lets hear all the great ways we could pay our TOP players and snub our nose at the stupid salary cap....

olegunnar
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
They can sell them discounted group tickets which they can then sell at "face" for a profit without seeming to be a scalper!

TFCREDNWHITE
01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
OH heres one, Free NO FEE banking at BMO for a full year! That will save them bundles!?

Cambridge_Red
01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
What about putting in bank machines at BMO field. It would make sense right? I love the fact 5,000 people have access to like 1 machine on the west stand... brilliant planning....Thats my off season Rant Over with.

Lucky Strike
01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I suggested in another thread buying a house if the amount is large enough, or at least contributing to the purchase of one.

Parkdale
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
simple. very simple.

http://www.kpmbarchitects.com/images/up_images/up-1MapleLeaf_Sq_for_web_01.jpg

MLSE owns condos = Players stay rent free = happy cap cheating that no one catches.

Oblio2
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
0% Mortgage

SLBuu
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
how about;

- paying for their home or a portion of it wherever they want to live.
- Paying them appearance fees for community events
- buying or paying for a portion of a car they want

EastYork
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
They can sell them discounted group tickets which they can then sell at "face" for a profit without seeming to be a scalper!
That's what people on here do, so why can't the players do the same?:noidea:

cy43
01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Is there not league rules about these situations?

flatpicker
01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Is there not league rules about these situations?

The league would be smart to ignore such things to add a little competitiveness.

Billy the kid
01-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Can they package offers with sponsorship deals, isn't that how Beckham got here.

BakaGaijin
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
That's what people on here do, so why can't the players do the same?:noidea:

Yup. Paying for a player's accomodations is against the rules. This has been addressed previously.

cy43
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
The league would be smart to ignore such things to add a little competitiveness.

Oh for sure! It just seems that for clubs with money, it seems it would be too easy to say, yea I'll pay you 65k a year but here's a condo, car, etc.

I guess it comes down to whether the Salary cap is purely cash compensation, or all compensation, as the above would be taxable benefits.

I think I just got too technical but I think it's an interesting thing to think about.

SLBuu
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
what about appearance fees.........?

are they also included in the pplayers salary?

BakaGaijin
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
what about appearance fees.........?

are they also included in the pplayers salary?

I believe there is a MLS rule that dictates that players have to make a certain amount of appearances, and those fee's are paid by the league. (I think I read that somewhere.......)

So, unless an appearance fee is paid by a third party, I don't think there is away around the cap there.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Thats why someone should volunteer to deliver undisclosed sums of cash in suitcases for our very best players!! ;-)

Parkdale
01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Thats why someone should volunteer to deliver undisclosed sums of cash in suitcases for our very best players!! ;-)

I'll happily volunteer to hand off the cash. Just don't expect all of it to show up.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I'll happily volunteer to hand off the cash. Just don't expect all of it to show up.

don't worry its undisclosed, so we'll never know... :D

Parkdale
01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
sweet. drinks at joe's on TFC! err.... on me

NF-FC
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
simple. very simple.

MLSE owns condos = Players stay rent free = happy cap cheating that no one catches.

Yup. Paying for a player's accomodations is against the rules. This has been addressed previously.

but they wouldn't be "paying" for accommodations, they own the place.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Is Maple Leaf Square Sold out??? is there still availability??

gtaguy
01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
how about company shares that expire once the player leaves.. make it a half % of sales by the company,or whatever percentage the company deems right by whatever standards they choose ... which substancially makes the player better off based on his performance, popularity, merketability etc: profit sharing for all...

rocker
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
how about MLSE arranges hookers for the players, and the players can be their pimps?

I could totally see Ricketts and Dichio being pimps!

Parkdale
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
how about MLSE arranges hookers for the players, and the players can be their pimps?

I could totally see Ricketts and Dichio being pimps!

there is no such thing as a 'game fit' pimp.

early to bed, and early to rise, and all that crap actually matters for athletes.

Cashcleaner
01-05-2009, 11:29 PM
simple. very simple.

Nice one! I recall the league was discussing a billeting system for players some time last year. Surely a suite at Maple Leaf Square would sweeten the deal for quite a few potential signings.

And if that doesn't work, go with the KEG gift cards. Nothing says "I love you" like steak.

Kooper
01-06-2009, 08:06 AM
how about;

- paying for their home or a portion of it wherever they want to live.
- Paying them appearance fees for community events
- buying or paying for a portion of a car they want

Have them paid directly by the sponsors. BMO would love to have Dero on their ad campaign. That would yield the most money.

denime
01-06-2009, 08:21 AM
I thought of some creative ways....maybe other supporters have more creative ideas!?

Lets hear all the great ways we could pay our TOP players and snub our nose at the stupid salary cap....

No wonder this thread was started by the Red Star fan ;).

Belgrade – Dragan Dzajic, 62, vice-president of the Football Association of Serbia (FSS) and also director of all football national teams, Vladimir Cvetkovic, 67, and Milos Marinkovic, 72, officials of the ‘Red Star’ FC were arrested yesterday morning on suspicion to have illegally taken EUR 6,127,104 from the transfer of footballer Goran Drulic to Spanish ‘Zaragoza’ FC in 2001.
Read more (http://www.blic.rs/society.php?id=1523)

MANU signed Tosic-The move was thrown into doubt last month because of Tosic’s wage demands and the number of agents trying to get involved in the transfer, prompting reports that Arsenal or Manchester City could hijack the deal."agents"= Org.crime bosses that gave him some nice money under the table in order to cash out when he goes to rich European club.

"Sopranos style" works pretty good all over the world,I think it would work here too. :D

Parkdale
01-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Have them paid directly by the sponsors. BMO would love to have Dero on their ad campaign. That would yield the most money.

Chances are his agent would be the one negotiating a deal with BMO, not the club.

Tintin
01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Chances are his agent would be the one negotiating a deal with BMO, not the club.

That's what I told you last night at Shoeless...

Kooper
01-06-2009, 10:29 PM

I meant that instead of BMO paying TFC for the promo so TFC can use that money to pay DeRo under the cap BMO could pay DeRo directly. A part of the money he makes while in Toronto will be the added media coverage and promotions. He could easily get some promo money from Sportsnet, CBC, TSN and the score when they broadcast the games. All of TFC's sponsors like Carlsberg, BMO, The Sun, Kia, Addidas, Jack Astors, Pizza Pizza can use him for promos that they run on Sportsnet, CBC, TSN and the Score. This is money that is not salary that would fall under the cap but would be money in his pocket that he could not earn in the US. Hopefully he and his agent are smart enough to realize this when they are negotiating the salary.

Parkdale
01-07-2009, 09:40 AM
That's what I told you last night at Shoeless...

'shoeless'?

never heard of the place.