PDA

View Full Version : Ives: Serioux to TFC?

Damien
01-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Sources tell SBI that the Hoops are working hard to trade up to the No. 2 slot to grab Maryland central defender and Dallas-area product Omar Gonzalez. FC Dallas currently holds the No. 5 and No. 11 picks and one possibility could see the Hoops packaging defender Adrian Serioux with one of its first-round picks for Toronto FC's No. 2 overall pick.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/hyndman-cooper-staying-put-for-2009.html

The Pope
01-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Serioux and the no.5 pick....could be a good deal for us IMO

MG42
01-04-2009, 09:08 PM
MoJo would not settle for the 11th pick, I think he would for sure get the 5th or walk away :)

Super
01-04-2009, 09:08 PM
This would be great news. He's a fantastic defender, and would be a great addition to our team. Between him, DeRo, and a DP striker, I think we're set pretty nicely to make the play-offs in year three.

Damien
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Mo needs results this year. You can bet he's gonna make some trades. He doesn't have time to wait for more prospects to develop.

Keyman
01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
When Serioux balances his aggressiveness with a more composed style of play, he is a very talented defender that is very hard to beat. However, when he crosses the line, he struggles and causes havoc for his team. I'm of the opinion that he has improved exponentially in the past couple of years, as he has started to play a more calculated and intelligent style of game. The violent style that he was known for has been relatively absent from his play from what I've heard and seen, so I'd say that Serioux would be a fantastic, domestic addition to our backline.

stretchthetruth
01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
was it Serioux that gave the NEE the finger?

Keyman
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
^^^
I believe so. I don't want to confirm that though.

H Bomb
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
yeah it were. Better fer us than agin' us

Shway
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
SERIOUX!!!!!!

He would be a great addition, but would he fit under our are cap sapce is the question?

SilverSamurai
01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
If MLS actually respects the FIFA dates this would be great. But this could potentially leave TFC thin during the Gold Cup. That is if anyone wants to play for Mitchell...

VPjr
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
^ that assumes Mitchell will be the coach at the next GC.

flatpicker
01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
If MLS actually respects the FIFA dates this would be great. But this could potentially leave TFC thin during the Gold Cup. That is if anyone wants to play for Mitchell...

agreed... I always worry when quality Canadian players enter the TFC mix (or any other man that plays for his national team). The threat of losing a core group of players during international dates is just too great in the world of MLS.

such a shame...

dantdot
01-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I have a feeling it will happen and it will be serioux business.

Cambridge_Red
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM

He sure did. We'll let it slide IF he comes to T.O :D

stretchthetruth
01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
He sure did. We'll let it slide IF he comes to T.O :D

he'll have to apologize then... :cool:

James17930
01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a feeling it will happen and it will be serioux business.

How dare you. :rolleyes:

professor
01-05-2009, 12:37 AM

.. just have to cross that Bridge when we get to it ...;)

VPjr
01-05-2009, 04:18 AM

hopefully we cross it just in the Nick of time :canada:

SilverSamurai
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM

It's the CSA we're talking about... you mean you expect different?

True enough.

Billy the kid
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
He's the one who got fined for tackling Beckham after he said the team would be going after him. I like that kind of spunk. Other players who were considered trouble makers have come to TFC and seem to get along fine, so why not?

Oblio2
01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
He's the one who got fined for tackling Beckham after he said the team would be going after him. I like that kind of spunk. Other players who were considered trouble makers have come to TFC and seem to get along fine, so why not?

Maybe we should sign Sean Avery!
:rolleyes:

jabbronies
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Seems like we are giving up a lot of young talent lately in order to bring in these older guys. Anyone else concerened about that?

Lucky Strike
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Maybe we should sign Sean Avery!
:rolleyes:

Nah, he'd just constantly be suspended and would just take up a roster spot. And the net is much too large for him to cover with his carcass of a body.

CoachGT
01-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Nah, he'd just constantly be suspended and would just take up a roster spot. And the net is much too large for him to cover with his carcass of a body.

Never mind that he's paid almost twice the TFC salary number!

Cambridge_Red
01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
So we trade Serioux to get Ronnie who we trade for a first rounder, and now we're going to trade a draft for a guy we had in the first place... Any of this making sense to anyone?

TorontoBlades
01-05-2009, 03:03 PM

yes, he was the one that turned Bex into a human pretzel

VPjr
01-05-2009, 03:24 PM
So we trade Serioux to get Ronnie who we trade for a first rounder, and now we're going to trade a draft for a guy we had in the first place... Any of this making sense to anyone?

sure....it makes total sense.

At the time of the Expansion Draft, Mo felt he needed a creative wing player and O'Brien wanted out Dallas. it was a good fit and Serioux was a useful piece to complete that puzzle.

There was all kinds of speculation that Mo didn't like Serioux from their days at NYRB but anyone who has watched Adrien knows he's evolved into a very solid MLS player (and he played pretty well for Canada in the WCQ). My guess is that Mo and JC would rather not add more unproven college players who won't help TFC win anytime soon, so instead they are targetting an experienced Canadian coming off one of his better seasons to help shore up our generally poor D.

Just because a manager trades a player away doesn't mean he thinks the player is useless...the player just might not fit at that moment.

rocker
01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
at the time, getting O'Brien for Serioux was awesome. I'd make that trade every time.
O'Brien was our best player in most games in 2007 and performed very well for San Jose last season.

people have to look at trades in context, at the time they happened.

invictusTFC
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
at the time, getting O'Brien for Serioux was awesome. I'd make that trade every time.
O'Brien was our best player in most games in 2007 and performed very well for San Jose last season.

people have to look at trades in context, at the time they happened.

Many people forget that when Ronnie was healthy, this team was getting results. After he went down to injury the team never recovered. O'Brien had nobody to work with while he was here. Just imagine if he was still with the club last season with Guevara and Ricketts...

joel
01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd rather have Kenny Cooper

From what I've seen of serioux he's worse than harmse on bad fouls, and I'd rather he be someone else's problem.

Cambridge_Red
01-05-2009, 04:34 PM
sure....it makes total sense.

At the time of the Expansion Draft, Mo felt he needed a creative wing player and O'Brien wanted out Dallas. it was a good fit and Serioux was a useful piece to complete that puzzle.

There was all kinds of speculation that Mo didn't like Serioux from their days at NYRB but anyone who has watched Adrien knows he's evolved into a very solid MLS player (and he played pretty well for Canada in the WCQ). My guess is that Mo and JC would rather not add more unproven college players who won't help TFC win anytime soon, so instead they are targetting an experienced Canadian coming off one of his better seasons to help shore up our generally poor D.

Just because a manager trades a player away doesn't mean he thinks the player is useless...the player just might not fit at that moment.

Ok I can accept that as a good way of looking at the situation. Im defiantely not opposed to bringing him back. I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Cambridge_Red
01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Many people forget that when Ronnie was healthy, this team was getting results. After he went down to injury the team never recovered. O'Brien had nobody to work with while he was here. Just imagine if he was still with the club last season with Guevara and Ricketts...

He still wouldn't have had much to work with up front, although Barrett I predict will have a break out season this year. :D I was sad to see Ronnie go, but Im really happy the shape our midfield has taken.

VPjr
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Steve Goff is hearing that TFC and FCD are involved in a possible 3 way deal...

quote:
"MLS draft fever: 10 days and counting. More on that later today. Lots of trade rumblings, including a potential three-way deal involving Dallas and Toronto and another club. I also hear Dallas is in the market for a veteran left-side midfielder".

ben_vw
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM

quote:
"MLS draft fever: 10 days and counting. More on that later today. Lots of trade rumblings, including a potential three-way deal involving Dallas and Toronto and another club. I also hear Dallas is in the market for a veteran left-side midfielder".

Interesting, good find. The "veteran left-side midfielder" could be the Galaxy's Eddie Lewis. I'm just following up on Duane Rollins link with a TFC-FCD-LAG 3-way trade. I would be surprised if the Galaxy traded Eddie Lewis though, since they passed on defender Corey Gibbs to get him.

In my mind, Serioux to TFC is getting done, one way or another. The question remains over what we give up and get along with him.

Yohan
01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Interesting, good find. The "veteran left-side midfielder" could be the Galaxy's Eddie Lewis. I'm just following up on Duane Rollins link with a TFC-FCD-LAG 3-way trade. I would be surprised if the Galaxy traded Eddie Lewis though, since they passed on defender Corey Gibbs to get him.

In my mind, Serioux to TFC is getting done, one way or another. The question remains over what we give up and get along with him.
or maybe with NYRB for rights to van den Bergh?

andyc
01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Serioux turned up at one of Dichio's soccer schools a couple of weeks before Christmas. His brother (Marcus) helps Dichio and has something to do with TFC. Dichio and Serioux also played together at Millwall so they know each other.

He spent some time chatting with the kids and seemed like a good guy. His brother mentioned that Adrian was really impressed with the level of support TFC got from the fans.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he came to TFC...

Canadian Blue
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
or maybe DeRo is the midfielder going to Dallas and we get Cooper? Or an even more unlikely possibility is Ricketts going to Dallas......I only seat it as unlikely becasue he is so heavily involved in many of TFC Promo events

Keegan
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
YES PLEASE

What are the chances the #2 pick will ever be as good as Serioux (Andrew Boyens? Julius James? Anyone?)? PLUS we get a 1st rounder?

Get it DONE!

TFCREDNWHITE
01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Serioux turned up at one of Dichio's soccer schools a couple of weeks before Christmas. His brother (Marcus) helps Dichio and has something to do with TFC. Dichio and Serioux also played together at Millwall so they know each other.

He spent some time chatting with the kids and seemed like a good guy. His brother mentioned that Adrian was really impressed with the level of support TFC got from the fans.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he came to TFC...

Nice! excellent insider information! keep up the good work...

Ossington Mental Youth
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Very curious to see which leftsided midfielder they are looking for...
Eddie Lewis was the only one that came to mind for me too

Stryker
01-06-2009, 12:53 AM

quote:

LOL.. Cunty's coming back! :taz:

James Oliphant
01-06-2009, 01:13 AM
His brother (Marcus) helps Dichio and has something to do with TFC.

Marcos...and he used to have something to do with TFC. He was an account executive for the first two years, then he got another job in November.

reggie
01-06-2009, 02:03 AM
i think you are going to see dunny moved,he his a vet left sided player.

Stouffville_RPB
01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Seems like we are giving up a lot of young talent lately in order to bring in these older guys. Anyone else concerened about that?

Yes I've noticed. I think he's doing it mostly to shut people up about playoffs. I also don't think Mo has much faith in the draft. Most in the draft are average players, squad fillers. That's why Mo does what he does.

rocker
01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Julius James and Jarrod Smith are on the outer edge of the "young talent" category ;)

If Mojo was giving up Ibby or Nana for an older guy, I'd get worried.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Theres a ton of articles out there recently refuting how effective draft pick players are (most recently Goffs). After last year, id rather take a proven player instead

Lucky Strike
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
^+1.

rocker
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
ya GOff's article that you mention Ossington pretty much says it all..
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/01/drafting_expectations.html

I think people who grew up with North American sports have a higher expectation of the draft in MLS.. that somebody is gonna walk in and be like Sidney Crosby or whatever.. which never happens in MLS. And the way the best of the draft go away (Altidore, Adu, Edu) the impact longer term is lessened. Yes, down the road some of these players end up being nice role players. However I think we have some young players who will do as much as any of those college guys, so given the roster size, it's not really valuable to have those guys sitting around. Their value is probably greater in trades.

I'm pretty confident Mojo has a good sense of draft value.

poppamidnight
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
question:

Didnt Serioux get in trouble for flipping off our fans at one game this year.
and we already had him and moved him pretty fast.

I`ve never heard anything good come out of serioux mouth about TFC, which leads me to believe for some reason or another he just doesnt want to play here...

I mean cmon, if you really wanted to go somewhere would u start chirping their fans becoming an enemy before you got there

Roogsy
01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't think he cares either way about coming here but that is a far cry from saying he doesn't want to be here.

As for the chirping...that is part of sport. He knows it, we know it. Everyone had a laugh. If he puts on the red and grey, I am sure nobody will care about the "bird" last year.

Hugh Jazz
01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
As much as a player may like a certain team/city, they probably don't like being chirped at but I don't think a small incident like that will cause a profound change in one's opinion of a given organization.

ben_vw
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
From what I know, Adrian isn't too keen on Mo, as Mo's traded him twice already now. He was originally with Mo in New York before being dealt to Houston (he never played for NY) and then Mo traded him from us to Dallas (again, never played for us).

ensco
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
From what I know, Adrian isn't too keen on Mo, as Mo's traded him twice already now. He was originally with Mo in New York before being dealt to Houston (he never played for NY) and then Mo traded him from us to Dallas (again, never played for us).

I was told this by one of the players at the party in May last year. But he made it seem like there was more of an issue between Serioux's agent and Mo.

Who knows?

Corpand
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
"Serioux had the same fans eating out of his hand after two minutes of his debut, however, when he took a throw from level with the penalty area and hurled it to the back post, where Ian Walker did well to keep out Mark McCammon's header.
His next throw reached the same spot and earned huge applause when it was bundled away and the third, from 50 yards, cleared a defender and Danny Dichio at the front post and was turned in by Morris."

Wow, a throw in got by DD's height back when Serioux played for Milwall.

oxygenatedbrain
01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I was told this by one of the players at the party in May last year. But he made it seem like there was more of an issue between Serioux's agent and Mo.
Who knows?

Isn't Serioux still with Barry MacLean?

KrazyKanadian
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh boy, another player I hate rumoured to come to Toronto. Maybe he'll be only half as useless as Ruiz was.

Yohan
01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
i dont think Serioux will be a permanent fix, but he will do for temporary one

Duni, Brennan, Marshall, Wynne, Attakora Gyan, Harmse, Serioux, Velez.

Not the best of defence, but workable, with enough depth for injuries

ben_vw
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Who knows?

If it's an agent/Mo issue, that could be the deciding factor. I believe Adrian's brother (who recently resigned from our front office) went on to be an agent. Adrian's agent could be his brother now...

Stryker
01-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I believe Adrian's brother (who recently resigned from our front office) went on to be an agent. Adrian's agent could be his brother now...

One would think that would pave the way for smoother negotiations him having worked for TFC and all.

rocker
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
it couldn't be a Mo/agent issue if Barry MacLean is still Adrian's agent (and First Wave sports, which MacLean runs, still has his listed as a client on a brand new spiffy website).

People used to say Mojo was tight with MacLean since TFC has so many of his clients and MacLean ran the tryouts. I read somewhere MacLean was Mo's agent once or currently.

So there must be something else going on here, unless MacLean and Mo have had a falling out.

poppamidnight
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
i dont think Serioux will be a permanent fix, but he will do for temporary one

Duni, Brennan, Marshall, Wynne, Attakora Gyan, Harmse, Serioux, Velez.

Not the best of defence, but workable, with enough depth for injuries

I think if we're talking about Serioux coming in, then we're working on the assumption Tyronne is getting shipped to Seattle to be with Sigi.

Also - Duni seems really likely to be moved at some point this year due to our cap considerations. Nana's development relative to Duni's rather high contract number means we're gunna take the canadian youth at a cheaper price rather than an overpriced american vet.
Theres no way you can honestly tell me Todd Dunivant is worth the $104,000 cap hit to this TFC squad

Personally im looking at something like this:

Serioux, Wynne, Brennan - locked starters
Velez, Harmse competition for 4th starter (CB)
Nana being Marvell's eventual replacement (assuming Wynne still has eyes for europe)

So im guessing we're gunna take 1 rookie defender,
leaving us in search of one cheap defender somewhere in the $60,000 range (saving us $40,000 on Dunivant)...hopefully a veteran