PDA

View Full Version : Closure for RPB's?

Loyal
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Here is a direct comment from Argos executive Brad Watters in todays Toronto Sun.

Combined with recent assurances from Toronto FC on the stadium matter can we put this topic to bed?

Watters insisted the team is staying at Rogers Centre, despite speculation they one day will return to their CNE roots at an enlarged BMO facility. W

Cashcleaner
05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Can you find the complete article, Loyal?

rocker
05-23-2008, 12:33 PM
added quote:

He admitted TFC has emerged as a strong rival for the entertainment dollar, but stressed the two clubs are after different fan bases. "They have a rowdier crowd, a bit more drinking and a larger immigrant population," Clemons said.

TorontoBlades
05-23-2008, 12:37 PM
added quote:

He admitted TFC has emerged as a strong rival for the entertainment dollar, but stressed the two clubs are after different fan bases. "They have a rowdier crowd, a bit more drinking and a larger immigrant population," Clemons said.

whatever - they have immigrants too.....from Keswick, ON :noidea:

ilikemusic
05-23-2008, 12:41 PM
added quote:

:smilielol5:

So we shouldnt expect to see any of these on the Jumbotron next season then right?

http://www.letsgetloud.ca/images/logoblack.JPG

alexintoronto
05-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Pinball better buy a shirt!

:taz:

ACSertL
05-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Football/2008/05/23/5646616-sun.html

Its pretty much just that small blurb.

I also think if anything its closure for all TFC fans not just the RPBs :)

flatpicker
05-23-2008, 12:46 PM
that quote is silly.

olegunnar
05-23-2008, 12:46 PM
So something as important as fighting for our SSS will just be forgotten because of one quote?
Wow.

rocker
05-23-2008, 12:47 PM
i really hope the closing of the 500 level works for them... .
What we need is them to become perfectly satisfied with Skydome and stay there. ;)

Technorgasm
05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
What we need is them to become perfectly satisfied with Skydome and stay there. ;)

What we NEED is the official word from TFC Front office that there is ABSOLUTLEY NO POSSIBILITY of the BMO no longer being a SSS.

HAS there been any official word?

Has there been conversation between the Supporters groups and Paul / FO on this issue?

if so, has a DEFINITIVE answer been given ?

Toronto_Bhoy
05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
added quote:

Pinball, you forgot…"smarter, better looking and way more fun!"

ACSertL
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I totally agree with the posters above...this little blurb in a Sun article no way changes the fact that we still need to protest at the All-Star game.

Until this is made official, I say full steam ahead!

Richard D
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
They just dont us to make a scene at the All Star game.

Draracle
05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
I would love to see the Argos get their own stadium. Or go splits with York or UofT (though the second might jinx the place). And Clemons is fantastic. Just stay out of BMO, it is sacred ground.

romburgundy
05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
They just dont us to make a scene at the All Star game.

Agreed, I think we should still drive the point home at the all star game.

denime
05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
We will make a scene at the All Star game.One article means nothing.

Bars92
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I would love to see the Argos get their own stadium. Or go splits with York or UofT (though the second might jinx the place). And Clemons is fantastic. Just stay out of BMO, it is sacred ground.

HA! Argos get there own stadium, that is a good one. Do you know how broke this team is?

Oldtimer
05-23-2008, 03:23 PM
What we NEED is the official word from TFC Front office that there is ABSOLUTLEY NO POSSIBILITY of the BMO no longer being a SSS.

HAS there been any official word?

Has there been conversation between the Supporters groups and Paul / FO on this issue?

if so, has a DEFINITIVE answer been given ?

ONLY the city can say that, not TFC.

nascarguy
05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Here is a direct comment from Argos executive Brad Watters in todays Toronto Sun.

Combined with recent assurances from Toronto FC on the stadium matter can we put this topic to bed?

Watters insisted the team is staying at Rogers Centre, despite speculation they one day will return to their CNE roots at an enlarged BMO facility. W
I'm not putting nothing to bed

Billy the kid
05-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Why not protest at a different game. The all star game is pretty much the chance to showcase the BMO field atmoshpere to a lot of the football world that doesn't normally see it.

CretanBull
05-23-2008, 03:56 PM
added quote:
"They have a rowdier crowd, a bit more drinking and a larger immigrant population," Clemons said.

I've always really liked Mike Clemons, he's done A LOT for our city. He's well known as being a nice guy and I've never heard a bad word said about him. With that in mind, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but when he says that our football has more of an "immigrant population" it almost sounds dismissive - as if he's saying "The Argos - that's for real Canadians, TFC is for immigrants". I know he's an immigrant himself, and like I said based on his reputation I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but without any question whether he meant it or not his comments are going to have that xenophobic intrepretation to alot of people.

There's a good chance that he meant it in a matter of fact way - that footy is a world game that attracts an audience that better reflects the world than a CFL game does. However, when he includes his comment with two negative ones (we're rowdier and drink more, and yes the connotation is negative - he certainly isn't saying "Hey, they're rowdier AND they drink more - go party with them!") it's easy to see how - allow me my own sterotype - small town Canada will get the wrong message from his comments.

The Kingpin
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I've always really liked Mike Clemons, he's done A LOT for our city. He's well known as being a nice guy and I've never heard a bad word said about him. With that in mind, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but when he says that our football has more of an "immigrant population" it almost sounds dismissive - as if he's saying "The Argos - that's for real Canadians, TFC is for immigrants". I know he's an immigrant himself, and like I said based on his reputation I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but without any question whether he meant it or not his comments are going to have that xenophobic intrepretation to alot of people.

There's a good chance that he meant it in a matter of fact way - that footy is a world game that attracts an audience that better reflects the world than a CFL game does. However, when he includes his comment with two negative ones (we're rowdier and drink more, and yes the connotation is negative - he certainly isn't saying "Hey, they're rowdier AND they drink more - go party with them!") it's easy to see how - allow me my own sterotype - small town Canada will get the wrong message from his comments.

I was getting all ready to knock out a rounded response until I read your post. This is my feeling in some level of entirety. I could certainly overreact, but I will give 'Pinball' some leeway based on a consistent record of classically unblemished behaviour.

Hooligan69
05-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Yes, let's put the topic to bed because of some newspaper quote. I'm not convinced.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM

It won’t. They tried at least 3-4 times in over the last ten years.

Cashcleaner
05-23-2008, 05:51 PM

I think he did mean it as a matter of fact. Also, I don't think the quote about drinking is a slight, either. The Argonauts have been pressuring the city to allow tailgating for years but to no avail. I think it was more a shot towards council for having a zero-tolerance policy for drinks around the Rogers Centre.

I don't think there is any doubt that soccer is far more popular to the nation's immigrant population. I've yet to see any luchadors at a CFL match. :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Man, time changes all things. Back in the day it used to be the Argos who had the rowdy fans. Now they’re looking to attract families. The Irony!

CretanBull
05-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Also, I don't think the quote about drinking is a slight, either. The Argonauts have been pressuring the city to allow tailgating for years but to no avail. I think it was more a shot towards council for having a zero-tolerance policy for drinks around the Rogers Centre.

I really don't know how you can take that interpretation...read his comments in context, it's most definitely a slight. He isn't saying "They drink more...I wish our fans could too but they can't because of city council". He's promoting the Argos as a family event and pointing out the differences ie they prepresent family fun, whereas we're "rowdier and drink more".

Edit: not that being rowdie or drinking are slights in themsleves, but they are intended to be to the family-fans that he's trying to attract....which is why his comment about our immigrant fan-base rubs me the wrong way. It can be a matter of fact statement, but it can also appeal to prejudices that some people might have.

Cashcleaner
05-23-2008, 06:53 PM
^ Yeah, you're right when it put it like that. I dunno about the Argos targetting the families specifically, though. If they are and it works, go with it, but I've found in later years it's become a much more mature crowd. I'll have to see if things change this season, though.

CretanBull
05-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I still have love for Pinball, in this case I just wish he worded things in a way that couldn't be misintrepreted.

james
05-23-2008, 09:17 PM
ya im not convinced yet either. It was just one quote. He could easily just mean that they are staying at Sky Dome right now. But further down the road, maybe once the deal with Sky Dome and the Argos ends they will move. They obviously dont wanna make to much noise about it right now, they know TFC fans are not in favour of the Argos moving in. If they are to ever play at BMO i bet the money and plans for Argos to move will be kept quiet for as long as possible.

Torcida
05-24-2008, 12:17 AM
:smilielol5:

So we shouldnt expect to see any of these on the Jumbotron next season then right?

http://www.letsgetloud.ca/images/logoblack.JPG
Did anyone else notice the trademark? That's just sad..

Steve-Tor
05-24-2008, 08:24 AM
I think he did mean it as a matter of fact. Also, I don't think the quote about drinking is a slight, either. The Argonauts have been pressuring the city to allow tailgating for years but to no avail. I think it was more a shot towards council for having a zero-tolerance policy for drinks around the Rogers Centre.

True, and Football invented the tailgate FFS.

Imagine being a hardcore NFLer coming to this city and you go to see a football game and you can't tailgate, you walk a few blocks west and see a bunch of soccer fans with the BBQ going:eek:

Only in Toronto eh? Pity:cool:

Steve-Tor
05-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Did anyone else notice the trademark? That's just sad..

Just kind of sums up the Argos mate.

Pathetic, to the last dime:(