PDA

View Full Version : Goal's 2008 MLS Team of the Year.

Dub Narcotic
01-02-2009, 01:22 AM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/13/united-states/2009/01/02/1036574/feature-mls-team-of-the-season-2008

Eastend
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
This is what I posted......

13:57 02 Jan 09 Eastend, Toronto, Canada
Carl Robinsons' omission as one of the best midfielders in the MLS is a grave injustice. I know he plays on a team at the bottom of the table (for now) but that is not the point....player for player he should have been mentioned here.

greatwhitenorf
01-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Goal.com's opinions just don't mean much. Scalped news articles from elsewhere and umour publishing are their speciality.

LucaGol
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
This is what I posted......

How are you going to sit there and say that Carl Robinson is a better and more valuable footballer than either of Rogers, Schelotto, Joseph or Kljestan?

This adoration of Carl Robinson is really getting completely out of control, and the argument for how good or bad a player he is has lost all sorts of perspective.

Robinson does not even deserve to displace any of the midfielders that were awarded honorouble mention in what is a largely meaningless, yet interesting to read article anyways!

Canadian Blue
01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
How are you going to sit there and say that Carl Robinson is a better and more valuable footballer than either of Rogers, Schelotto, Joseph or Kljestan?

This adoration of Carl Robinson is really getting completely out of control, and the argument for how good or bad a player he is has lost all sorts of perspective.

Robinson does not even deserve to displace any of the midfielders that were awarded honorouble mention in what is a largely meaningless, yet interesting to read article anyways!

You obviously have no clue.....there are both offensive and defensive midfield players. Now obviously the offense players get the press and the highlight goals and passes and such but a defensive midfield player is key.

Bobo
01-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Goal.com is crap, any asswipe can post an article on it. I know, I was one of those asswipes who contributed weekly LOL.

No Toronto FC player with even a mention? LOL funny stuff.

LucaGol
01-02-2009, 10:01 PM
You obviously have no clue.....there are both offensive and defensive midfield players. Now obviously the offense players get the press and the highlight goals and passes and such but a defensive midfield player is key.

On what planet do you live on that defensive midfielders, and only defensive midfielders with absolutely no other qualities, get mentions in best 11 teams?

I thought so.

bignickel
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
On what planet do you live on that defensive midfielders, and only defensive midfielders with absolutely no other qualities, get mentions in best 11 teams?

I thought so.

god, remember the days when he would take the free kicks? he was brutal. good defensively but fuck all else. a goal a year as a midfielder warrants no prizes.

Oldtimer
01-03-2009, 09:46 AM

I thought so.

Every solid team needs a good DM.

A good DM will never make a highlight reel, will probably never get "player of the year," but try playing without one.

Football is a team sport, and a team's defensive qualities are as important as their offensive qualities. Just look at LA if you have any doubts.

LucaGol
01-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Every solid team needs a good DM.

A good DM will never make a highlight reel, will probably never get "player of the year," but try playing without one.

Football is a team sport, and a team's defensive qualities are as important as their offensive qualities. Just look at LA if you have any doubts.

Anything else to share professor?

Eastend
01-03-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks for your OPINION. My perspective is not lost, it is exactly that, MY PERSPECTIVE. If I think he is worthy then I am entitled to sit here and say so.

Roogsy
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM

I thought so.

On a world where Spain wins the Euro. Senna isn't a goal scorer and yet is rated as one of the best in the world.

CretanBull
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
^ IMO Senna was the best player for Spain.....

Dirk Diggler
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Senna was a much bigger asset for Spain than Carl Robinson has ever been for TFC.

LucaGol
01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
On a world where Spain wins the Euro. Senna isn't a goal scorer and yet is rated as one of the best in the world.

Marcos Senna is excellent passer of the football, regularly takes free kicks for Villarreal and sometimes for Spain, is a massive physical presence in the midfield and has great positional sense.

Marcos Senna is not a Carl Robinson type player.

If you are going to make a comparison, Carl Robinson is the MLS equivalent of Rino Gattuso. Great bulldog and midfield warrior, but not much else .. important player, no doubt ... but certainly not worthy of top midfielder or best 11 honours.

Those should be reserved for complete players.

CretanBull
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
god, remember the days when he would take the free kicks? he was brutal. good defensively but fuck all else. a goal a year as a midfielder warrants no prizes.

Umm...how many goals did prize-winner Joseph score?