PDA

View Full Version : January 5th

Oblio2
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Im excited for this day but worried. Im worried that we have built it up to something big, the big announcement then.... nothing will happen.....

Im at work, it's quite...Im thinking too much!!!!

EDIT
I meant January 5th!!!!!

DOMIN8R
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Funny you should say that. I spoke with 2 TFC employees yesterday and they said that there was nothing, to their knowledge, that was going to happen as far as announcements in January.

Who knows what the *%$@ is going on.

Joe Kool
12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
I have been offline pretty much the past two weeks but now that I am getting back in the groove of things I keep hearing mention of January 6. Was there a press conference or something called by TFC that I don't know about or is it just the opening of the January transfer window and there is speculation that TFC will be doing something right away?

mlsintoronto
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM
nothing happening that I know of.

Mrs. Workie
12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
If this is the day TFC introduces their "Cheerleaders", I'm giving up my season's tickets....

Oblio2
12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Booo.....I shall go back to my posts about Bacon then!

Ageroo
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Booo.....I shall go back to my posts about Bacon then!

Canadian or regular bacon?

Rudi
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Is that because something is happening the previous day? :p:D

Canadian Blue
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
If this is the day TFC introduces their "Cheerleaders", I'm giving up my season's tickets....

I'll take your tickets...........come on cheerleaders.....

Shakes McQueen

But if it was a secret unveiling, you wouldn't tell us anyway. :D

That said, I suspect you are telling the truth. I'm not holding my breath for a DP - I'm just going to continue to have low expectations, and bask in the surprise and excitement if one gets unveiled, whenever that is.

- Scott

Oblio2
Canadian or regular bacon?

I love all Bacon!!!!

DOMIN8R
12-30-2008, 12:45 PM
The 6th was less absolute than the statements regarding early January in general. Care to comment on "early January" Paul?

Nuvinho
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
wow, another Christmas in early January!!!

DigzTFC!
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Paul,

is TFC going to introduce DeRo with other "new player TFC signings" or will he have a stand alone introduction to the media.

Also, do you plan on having any player introductions before the 2009 MLS Superdraft

KrazyKanadian
12-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Score! Bring on the pom-poms!

KdotOdot
12-30-2008, 01:06 PM
January 6th IS christmas eve heh heh

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Is that because something is happening the previous day? :p:D

code word: THE BIG SPLASH :cool:

Oblio2
12-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Am I a day late then?
January 5th?

DigzTFC!
12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I think the day earmarked is January 5th through the rumor mill. :drool5:

:ihih:

UPDATE: Multiple sources have told me to keep Jan. 5 circled in the calendar.

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2008/12/whats-that-about-bird.html

Raging Reggie
12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Jan 6th is my birthday, Rawkus_420's birthday, and my cousins birthday....so obviously only awesomeness can come from Jan 6th!

Nodoubtguy
12-30-2008, 01:29 PM
From Ben Knight's blog

Reasonably reliable word has filtered through to the Onward! offices that Toronto FC will announce the identity of its 2009 Designated Player on or about January 6.From Gerry Dobson's sportsnet article

The one and apparently only guy who is still around town is Director of Soccer Mo Johnston. He laughed when I wondered what was up. He assured me that all is well and when everyone is back after the holidays, there will be what everyone connected with the club likes to call a big splash. De Rosario still has two years remaining on his contract; but personally I think they should have put Mo in a Santa Claus outfit, called the media together, and had De Ro jump out of a gift-wrapped box.

Pigfynn
12-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Paul,

is TFC going to introduce DeRo with other "new player TFC signings" or will he have a stand alone introduction to the media.

Also, do you plan on having any player introductions before the 2009 MLS Superdraft

He's not going to tell you anything like that.

Isn't waiting fun?

Shakes McQueen
12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Now that I (over)think about it, Paul B's response to this thread was suspiciously tepid. Maybe all of these bloggers and reporters are on to something.

- Scott

DigzTFC!
12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Its not fun at all. You have to think that TFC is essentially killing its coverage by freezing out the media. They're not even giving hints. How many soccer reporters do we have to lose in major news outlets...Ben Knight and Morgan Campbell for instance.

Hell, no one outside of Toronto have heard of this team except people who follow the USL. I don't know whats being gained here really. Especially since DeRo is a big enough attraction to keep TFC in the media. But, that would require him speaking to the media and/or having a media conference. Even if there was a "big splash" this approach makes no sense in terms of media coverage. Which would you rather have a couple weeks of coverage for multiple signings or months of coverage with numerous individual signings. This is a novice approach to marketing

Oblio2
12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Now that I (over)think about it, Paul B's response to this thread was suspiciously tepid. Maybe all of these bloggers and reporters are on to something.

- Scott

It's true. Paul does usually have a more sarcastic and yet mildly funny responses. Maybe he's coming down from the Christmas festivities? :drinking:

Shakes McQueen
12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Its not fun at all. You have to think that TFC is essentially killing its coverage by freezing out the media. They're not even giving hints. How many soccer reporters do we have to lose in major news outlets...Ben Knight and Morgan Campbell for instance.

Hell, no one outside of Toronto have heard of this team except people who follow the USL. I don't know whats being gained here really. Especially since DeRo is a big enough attraction to keep TFC in the media. But, that would require him speaking to the media and/or having a media conference. Even if there was a "big splash" this approach makes no sense in terms of media coverage. Which would you rather have a couple weeks of coverage for multiple signings or months of coverage with numerous individual signings. This is a novice approach to marketing

It's a novice approach to marketing, assuming everything is as it seems to us.

There may be a good reason why DeRo hasn't had a press conference yet, outside of this rumoured "big splash" stuff.

- Scott

SweetOwnGoal
12-30-2008, 02:29 PM
I think the day earmarked is January 5th through the rumor mill. :drool5:

:ihih:

UPDATE: Multiple sources have told me to keep Jan. 5 circled in the calendar.

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2008/12/whats-that-about-bird.html

God, the pressure...

Three different people I talked to told me that something was expected on first Monday in January. But, normal delays could happen. So, anytime that week is possible.

If the info I 'm getting (I'm Duane Rollins, the author of the linked blog, for those that don't know) is correct I would expect that TFC would issue a PR on or around Jan 2 inviting the media to the event. If something does go out...start speculating (although it could just be a DeRo presser).

Marco2K
12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Lets just hope Mo does not take till March like he did last year.

As for this comment. That is just sad. I wish we had some cheer leaders. Something kind on the eyes.
I am sure there a tonnes of people that will take your tickets

Rudi
12-30-2008, 02:49 PM
As for this comment. That is just sad. I wish we had some cheer leaders. Something kind on the eyes.
Mrs. W. and many of the women already at BMO as season ticket holders are already easy on the eyes and don't just take up space like cheerleaders would.

Much better to have hot girls as actual supporters rather than some slutted up bimbos being paid to act like they care (and drawing attention away from where it should be, the field of play).

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against slutted up bimbos, but there is a time and place for everything. :D

Hustle
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against slutted up bimbos, but there is a time and place for everything. :D

I agree...No cheerleaders necessary and in return, vouchers for post game drinks at the Brass Rail after every home game.

Mrs. Workie
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
I'll take your tickets...........come on cheerleaders.....

Score! Bring on the pom-poms!

NO #&$^@*$ CHEERLEADERS!

Mrs. W. and many of the women already at BMO as season ticket holders are already easy on the eyes and don't just take up space like cheerleaders would.

Much better to have hot girls as actual supporters rather than some slutted up bimbos being paid to act like they care (and drawing attention away from where it should be, the field of play).

See Rudi knows how it is! :D

AL-MO
12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
How about you dress up as a cheerleader one game Mel? :D

Mrs. Workie
12-30-2008, 03:30 PM
How about you dress up as a cheerleader one game Mel? :D

I do every game- I wear my Kit. And I'm a supporter, not a cheerleader.

SO THERE!

Bobo
12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I do every game- I wear my Kit. And I'm a supporter, not a cheerleader.

SO THERE!

Nice! Let that be a message to ML$E.

Cheerleaders wouldn't work. If they're in streamers' reach then they'd get peppered and if they aren't they'd still be questioning who they are when they go back to the locker room.

VPjr
12-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Going back to the topic that Oblio started, there was alot of credible information about 2 weeks ago that TFC would be announcing something early in the new year but things have gone very quiet lately.

looks like Mo and Paul have managed to plug some leaks...

Mrs. Workie
12-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Cheerleaders wouldn't work. If they're in streamers' reach then they'd get peppered

I'd throw the first one!

TorontoBlades
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
....or any deal fell apart

You'd think if it was really close and a big player was available, there would be maybe some leaks from media on the other end that I'm sure someone would have located....if, of course, there were leaks to begin with

Nodoubtguy
12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Or there is no new info....we have a date (more-or-less) and I guess it's just a wait and see situation. If MLSE/TFC have someone to announce and now everyone is on vacation, want could we really expect to come out?? I think news will start flowing after the new year......

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
....or any deal fell apart

You'd think if it was really close and a big player was available, there would be maybe some leaks from media on the other end that I'm sure someone would have located....if, of course, there were leaks to begin with

ID have to agree.....if any big name player was coming in by the 5th of JAN....surely there would of been a leak .....mabey not on this end...but for sure coming out on the other end!!

hate this waiting!:drinking:

giambac
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Im excited for this day but worried. Im worried that we have built it up to something big, the big announcement then.... nothing will happen.....

Im at work, it's quite...Im thinking too much!!!!

EDIT
I meant January 5th!!!!!

January 5th- They are announcing the installation of grass at BMO field.

you heard it hear first.

mlsintoronto
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
nothing on the 5th either...relax!

Rudi
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
:deadhorse:

Stryker
12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
January 5th- They are announcing the installation of grass at BMO field.

you heard it hear first.

Winning friends and influencing people again huh?

rocker
12-30-2008, 06:00 PM

where's my damn DeRo press conference!?!?!? ;)

H Bomb
12-30-2008, 06:02 PM

Winning is the only thing we've had less practice at the last two years!! :D:D:canada:

DOMIN8R
12-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Can't you see that we can't relax. :noidea:

You wanted an exuberant fan base. Well you got it pal. And it comes with a few strings attached. Like overzelous, anxious and rumour hungry fanatacism. Throw us a frickin bone already.:o

olegunnar
12-30-2008, 07:04 PM

That seals it.
It's obvious now. It's the 7th!

The announcement isn't on the 5th or 6th...so it must be on the 7th!! :drinking:

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Man someone’s got a throw us a bone. If I don’t get a TFC info. fix soon, I’m going to have or start spending time with my family or get meaningful career or some such pathetic sh!t.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM

Im starting to believe DERO is not even signed......:eek: or he has been holding out....for $$$$$$$!:noidea:

am i overreacting?

Daveisonfire
12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Im starting to believe DERO is not even signed......:eek: or he has been holding out....for $$$$$$$!:noidea:

am i overreacting?

way to much time on your hands....
:hump:

Daveisonfire
12-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Doesn't the MLS transfer window open the 15th of January or something like that? Maybe then?

Steve
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, if we guess every possible date for an announcement between now and the start of next season, the one Paul DOESN'T deny is our date!

wzhxvy
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
I do not care what MLSE says...there is absolutely NO reason not to have a Dero conference asap. The fact that it has not happened means other things are going on as it pertains to Dero's situation.

And is Mo in Brazil again ? That must be it...their Brazilian soccer season really goes into high gear during Christimas/New Years.

wzhxvy
12-30-2008, 10:42 PM
And btw, I would have no issue with cheerleaders. If done right, why not. I want them dirty and I want them to be on Page 3 prior as a prerequiste to being accepted as cheerleaders.

Cambridge_Red
12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Not holding my breath on anything happening. Getting worried about the DeRo situation though..

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Not holding my breath on anything happening. Get worried about the DeRo situation though..

I'll have to agree with you there!......Toronto's biggest signing ever...LOcal boy..ect..ect.....why are we waiting on this?

Steve
12-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Not holding my breath on anything happening. Get worried about the DeRo situation though..

I'll have to agree with you there!......Toronto's biggest signing ever...LOcal boy..ect..ect.....why are we waiting on this?

Yep, Something really isn't adding up here for some reason. I hope it's something easily fixed, but the longer we go without hearing anything about this, the more I think we're in for some bad news.

wzhxvy
12-30-2008, 11:12 PM
At the end of the day...Dero has to play and report whether he likes it or not. But he doesnt have to play ball with MLSE if he doesnt get what he wants...so no interviews...press conferences or hoopla...and I think that is what is happening. I do not think its a smart move on Dero's part...because him being happy to be here will help in his marketability. I would have no issue if he got paid the max/400K...but if he is holding out to be the DP, then....

FluSH
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Is this the transfer window for Grass? I hope so =P

wzhxvy
12-30-2008, 11:59 PM
The grass transfer window is open all year long..yeah baby !!!! lol

Shakes McQueen
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Is this the transfer window for Grass? I hope so =P

Who are we sending our turf to? :D

- Scott

Marc"2L"
12-31-2008, 01:28 AM
people still think we're getting a DP?

Dreamland.

Welshbeauty
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM

I'm with you Mrs. Workie! If the team needs to PAY people to get them motivated, then what the hell do they need "supporters" for??

jloome
12-31-2008, 12:51 PM
It might just be PR. Now is a terrible time to announce anything footie related; world juniors, NHL break, bowl games, superbowl coming up.

They'll time it for when there's as little going on as possible, to guarantee it the local press it deserves. It won't get that now. Even DeRo signing won't make a sports break page.

TFC OZZ
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
It might just be PR. Now is a terrible time to announce anything footie related; world juniors, NHL break, bowl games, superbowl coming up.

They'll time it for when there's as little going on as possible, to guarantee it the local press it deserves. It won't get that now. Even DeRo signing won't make a sports break page.

When DeRo signed with us it was on the front page of ESPN's website. How often does that happen with a soccer player?

Rudi
12-31-2008, 02:13 PM
When DeRo signed with us it was on the front page of ESPN's website. How often does that happen with a soccer player?
It was also front page of the Toronto Star's sports section.

If anything, December is a graveyard for sports news, there's very little going on. Which is why things like the Spengler Cup get first-class treatment.

Parkdale
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
hmmm....

Please confirm the rumour that we haven't had a DeRo press conference because Mo was lost in Brazil and you couldn't do the conference without him. Please also confirm that DeRo is going to be here next year, and MoJo is in absentia.

Parkdale
12-31-2008, 02:23 PM
oh yeah.... http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280

He's listed right there, therefor the rest of my rumour must be accurate! So long Mo!

shwade
12-31-2008, 02:46 PM
oh yeah.... http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280

He's listed right there, therefor the rest of my rumour must be accurate! So long Mo!

Carlos Ruiz is also there.
so hmm...

Beach_Red
12-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Just that once.

And it was in every Toronto paper, but the day after that there was nothing. There were even comments on this board about there being nothing the very next day. I have a feeling if there had been a press conference it would have recieved very little press - the media already reported the trade as much as they're going to until there's something to be added to it.

wzhxvy
12-31-2008, 03:15 PM
so hmm...

Ha Ha I was just going to say the same thing when I read your post.

I love this board...always entertaining !

Blizzard
12-31-2008, 05:16 PM
NO #&$^@*$ CHEERLEADERS!

See Rudi knows how it is! :D

Cage dancers?

B

Blizzard
12-31-2008, 05:17 PM

If anything, December is a graveyard for sports news, there's very little going on. Which is why things like the Spengler Cup get first-class treatment.

True enough although I'm a big fan of the Spengler. Not today perhaps but in general yes.

adamdz
12-31-2008, 05:19 PM
January 5th, back to work day, what a terrible date to circle on my calendar.

djking2
01-01-2009, 08:53 AM
How about Mo announces he's traded pick 4 & 13 to Seattle for the #1 pick so we can take Gonzalez and Opara. Two defenders with big potential and no cap hit

Nuvinho
01-01-2009, 09:18 AM
How about Mo announces he's traded pick 4 & 13 to Seattle for the #1 pick so we can take Gonzalez and Opara. Two defenders with big potential and no cap hit

That is my wish!!

brad
01-01-2009, 12:53 PM
so hmm...

As is Hunter Freeman, and we know he's gone.

TFC07
01-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Seattle wouldn't accept that trade unless TFC throws in Marshall.

Luanda
01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
"Just give me some truth..All I want is the Truth". So sang John Lennon.

It would be nice if TFC updated its website with the "truth".

dantdot
01-03-2009, 05:13 PM
"Just give me some truth..All I want is the Truth". So sang John Lennon.

It would be nice if TFC updated its website with the "truth".

The first casualty of the off season is truth :D

TorCanSoc
01-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Soooo much promise of an active off-season. Waiting sucks, there is no winner.

On the subject of cheerleaders. I'm in the "elder statesmen" bracket of the RPB crew. So one would think a negative opinion by a guy like me. But not so. After the Columbus opener last year, I kind of liked the cheerleaders. Columbus seemed to have a squad of about 100 cheerleaders though. What about half-time hottie shows? Is that a compromise? And cheerleaders only in and around the concession stands.

Marco2K
01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Well today is Jan 3. So u are telling me this upcoming week we are going to be getting TFC NEWS?? I DOUBT IT!!

ben_vw
01-03-2009, 08:58 PM
One thing to remember is that when we traded for DeRo, the only rumour we had was an email to MLS Rumors in the morning, and by that afternoon it was official.

Mo's pretty tight-lipped these days. Not saying this is the case for a DP, but it's a possible explanation to the lack of news...

Ossington Mental Youth
01-03-2009, 09:12 PM
yeah, i think that DeRo was only a start, im not too worried at this point

jloome
01-04-2009, 08:13 AM

December, yeah, but now It's January dude, and I work at a daily newspaper. If anything, it's one of the busiest times of the year. Again, NFL, world juniors, bowl games, NHL. They'd do better to announce this in February, unless they catch a slow day, at least in terms of getting any coverage outside the GTA or as the page break.

Baggio2TFC
01-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Not to bust anyones bubbles, but does our(MLS) transfer window noJ open till Jan. 15? How can we sign any big name(pending they are not attached to anyone) until then. jan 5th does sound kinda like a weird day to annouce anything but DeRo.

FluSH
01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Not to bust anyones bubbles, but does our(MLS) transfer window noJ open till Jan. 15? How can we sign any big name(pending they are not attached to anyone) until then. jan 5th does sound kinda like a weird day to annouce anything but DeRo.

The grass trading window opened back in Nov 2008... :D

brad
01-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Transfers can be announced at any time once the deal is completed. This does not have to be in a transfer window.

The players rights can not transfer to the team until the transfer window.

So they could on Jan 5th announce "Player X will we a TFC player on Jan 15th".

Blizzard
01-04-2009, 06:35 PM
December, yeah, but now It's January dude, and I work at a daily newspaper. If anything, it's one of the busiest times of the year. Again, NFL, world juniors, bowl games, NHL. They'd do better to announce this in February, unless they catch a slow day, at least in terms of getting any coverage outside the GTA or as the page break.

Right! It's January. Stop fretting friends!

Has anybody actually heard any word about a presser for tomorrow (Jan 5)? No I didn't think so.

This whole discussion is based on a few anecdotal comments by members of the media.

B

VPjr
01-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Update from the 24th Minute blog

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/01/waiting-for-dp-annocement.html

TFC07
01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Update from the 24th Minute blog

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/01/waiting-for-dp-annocement.html

I wouldn't be shocked if our DP ends up being Robbie Fowler.

VPjr
01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
^ Fowler can score goals...there is no doubt about that but don't you need a hip to be effective in the game of soccer?

SweetOwnGoal
01-04-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't really think it will be Fowler. It just seems like something Mo would do.

VPjr nails it -- Robbie Fowler would have been a wonderful DP...in 2001 (not that MLS could have afforded him then...of course, neither could Leeds...). But, he's done now. There is a reason he's talking to League Two teams about player/coach positions now.

But, that said, there is something that needs to be understood when speculating about DPs. They pretty much have to be availible on a free. MLS won't pay transfers much beyond $250k or so.

Razcle
01-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Its Jan 5th...where is the big news?

twistedchinaman
01-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Patience my friend -- patience.

It shall come. I have a feeling it may not be today but it shall come...oh it shall...

VPjr
01-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Its Jan 5th...where is the big news?

follow the link to the 24th Minute blog above....nothing happening this week but there should be some real news to digest next week.

Luanda
01-05-2009, 07:13 AM
The first casualty of the off season is truth :D

Off or in season, it is all about psychological jousting.

Shakes McQueen
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
That was some announcement today, eh guys? haha.

I'm glad I decided not to get my hopes up about this.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
01-05-2009, 01:51 PM
That was some announcement today, eh guys? haha.

I'm glad I decided not to get my hopes up about this.

- Scott

That's because you are a better person than any of us ;)

Lucky Strike
01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I agreed with the assessment that there would probablty be nothing today, but one could also point out that the day isn't over yet.

TFC OZZ
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm so sad nothing was announced... :(

Shakes McQueen
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
That's because you are a better person than any of us ;)

No way - I initially was pretty excited about today, but decided about a week ago to just not think about it. A bunch of other people here did too.

Yeesh, people are jumping all over me today.

- Scott

King Tut
01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
follow the link to the 24th Minute blog above....nothing happening this week but there should be some real news to digest next week.

And come next week, we could be hearing "there is always next week". Who knows how long this could go on for.:rolleyes:

Hopefully there wont be more disappointment next week...:)

Nodoubtguy
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
It would seem hard to have something big to announce today if the FO was closed for a few weeks.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Well the so called big splash seems to be a DRY WELL!........ HOw long before they tell us all is good and MO is in BRAZIL on a scouting trip!! :)...........PM me when we get our DP! ;)

canadian_bhoy
01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Maybe when Mo was talking about a DP for the fans - he meant us being charged for the season tickets and the new jersey's at the same time.

invictusTFC
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Maybe when Mo was talking about a DP for the fans - he meant us being charged for the season tickets and the new jersey's at the same time.

Maybe DP stands for "deep penetration" as in Mo and MLSE are screwing us again. lol

jazz_trumpet
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
You must mean double penetration ;)

canadian_bhoy
01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=319955#post319955)

Maybe DP stands for "deep penetration" as in Mo and MLSE are screwing us again. lol

You must mean double penetration ;)

That's the joke
http://www.24-7simpsons.com/ranier_wolfcastle_1.jpg

jazz_trumpet
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Sorry, my internet subtlety detector has been kind of faulty lately.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
If there is NO DP announcement within the next 14 days I will RIOT in the streets! I will also seriously consider curtailing my spending of hard earned dollars on this team. I will honestly cut all ties with TFC if we get NO DP!!!!!

stretchthetruth
01-05-2009, 05:36 PM
If there is NO DP announcement within the next 14 days I will RIOT in the streets! I will also seriously consider curtailing my spending of hard earned dollars on this team. I will honestly cut all ties with TFC if we get NO DP!!!!!

no you wont.

daner90
01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
and just like the second half of this past season...

TFC has disappointed again.

ben_vw
01-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Is this called...support?

Brooker
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
like many i can't say im surprised.... oh well, theres still time.

cheer up, people. it's not the end. :drinking:

MUFC_Niagara
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Is this called...support?

It's called a "new supporter"

H Bomb
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Considering how many people knew about the 5th it amazes me how many people didn't know that it had been nixed by FO on this board a while ago.

Damien
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
That's the joke

YOU SUCK, MCBAIN!

http://cache.thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/Home_Entertainment/The_Ultimate/mcbain_silly.jpg

Roogsy
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Considering how many people knew about the 5th it amazes me how many people didn't know that it had been nixed by FO on this board a while ago.

Sadly true.

colman1860
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
and just like the second half of this past season...

TFC has disappointed again.

Too bad, eh. Mo said over and over again "watch out for the huge announcement where we'll sign multiple DPs including CRon and Messi on January 5th", and now he didn't come through. Fucking lying bastard.

/sarcasm

Point is that TFC never said anything, except that there's nothing happening on Jan 5th. We can't really blame them. Season doesn't start for 2.5 months.

Canadian Blue
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM

If you have tickets can I get first dibs on them?

Marco2K
01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I think this date has been misunderstood. Remember we did not sign any players till April last week.

Do you all remember that Danny Pacheco player that came in last year? Played 45 mins in florida and never touched the grass again!

Kooper
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM

I argree I am really disappointed with all the upcoming games in the next 14 days TFC really needs to get a DP Striker ASAP. I mean can you imagine what will happen if we don't start winning games in January.

Oh wait never mind.

brad
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
The sooner people stop taking rumors from the media as absolutes, the happier they will be.

invictusTFC
01-06-2009, 10:13 AM
If we are going to sign a DP of any significance, it has to be done during the January transfer window. I would be suspect of signing any player who is not under contract with any team in March or April. This tells me that nobody wants them. The only other option after that is to wait until June when the European season ends. My feeling is that Mo will delay any possible DP acquisition until then just stringing the fans along once again. It would be nice to have the core of this team in place for the pre-season. This includes the DP. A DP acquisition in June can potentially destabilize the team if players have to be moved at that time to accommodate the signing. Furthermore, how long will it take for the player to accustom themselves to the club and the city and settle in? Having the DP already in place before the pre-season will be most beneficial.

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
If we are going to sign a DP of any significance, it has to be done during the January transfer window. I would be suspect of signing any player who is not under contract with any team in March or April. This tells me that nobody wants them. The only other option after that is to wait until June when the European season ends. My feeling is that Mo will delay any possible DP acquisition until then just stringing the fans along once again. It would be nice to have the core of this team in place for the pre-season. This includes the DP. A DP acquisition in June can potentially destabilize the team if players have to be moved at that time to accommodate the signing. Furthermore, how long will it take for the player to accustom themselves to the club and the city and settle in? Having the DP already in place before the pre-season will be most beneficial.

There are a lot of things to balance. You're right, a DP in June could be disruptive - so could a DP anytime, the whole idea of one player out of the whole team being "designated" could be disruptive. It's such a dumb way to run a league. Picking the wrong DP would be worse than not getting one at all.

The pre-season, and even the first few games are not that essential in a league in which making the playoffs is the goal, and the roster decisions have to fit the league structure.

It's crazy that one soccer league out of all the leagues has this different structure, but there's no point in pretending it doesn't and managing for something else.

Drives me crazy...

brad
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
There are a lot of things to balance. You're right, a DP in June could be disruptive - so could a DP anytime, the whole idea of one player out of the whole team being "designated" could be disruptive. It's such a dumb way to run a league. Picking the wrong DP would be worse than not getting one at all.

Bingo. Disruptive is when the guy next to you doing the same job is making 10 times (or in the case of a DP, possibly even 50 or 100 times) more money than you.

brad
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Having the DP already in place before the pre-season will be most beneficial.

No it wouldn't, signing the best player we can would be most beneficial.

For arguments sake - lets say we could sign a decent but not fantastic DP caliber player (say, Lucarelli for example) in January, or Del Piero in June. Which would be more beneficial to the team?

Lucky Strike
01-06-2009, 10:58 AM

What motive might Mo have to do this? Wouldn't his head be on the line if he can't improve the team?

I suppose you could say it's orders from the very top but then you're going into conspiracy territory, with believers being inherently illogical. The less evidence there is of one, people say the better (as in more sinister) it is because it's so secret.

I would find it hard to believe that the FO doesn't want to have a better team. A bad team loses fan support which means a loss of revenue.

Chevy
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
No it wouldn't, signing the best player we can would be most beneficial.

For arguments sake - lets say we could sign a decent but not fantastic DP caliber player (say, Lucarelli for example) in January, or Del Piero in June. Which would be more beneficial to the team?

Stop the Del Piero in June talk right now! You're toying with my emotions! :eek:

brad
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Stop the Del Piero in June talk right now! You're toying with my emotions! :eek:

Apologies. No way is he, coming, but it illustrated my point.:)

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
What motive might Mo have to do this? Wouldn't his head be on the line if he can't improve the team?

I suppose you could say it's orders from the very top but then you're going into conspiracy territory, with believers being inherently illogical. The less evidence there is of one, people say the better (as in more sinister) it is because it's so secret.

I would find it hard to believe that the FO doesn't want to have a better team. A bad team loses fan support which means a loss of revenue.

You're right.

If anyone's getting strung along, it's player agents. Everybody knows TFC has money to spend, so there must be dozens of calls every day from agents with "fantastic deals," on players who would "love" to come to MLS and "especially TFC!"

Weeding them out will take some time.

Section 117
01-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Not to piss on anybodys parade, but why do we need a DP?

We just traded for DeRo and his salary is $325K (I think that is what he gets paid), we pay Robo around $300k and the DP would be another $400k against the cap. I am no math wizard but that is about $1 million of a $2.3 million dollar cap. Not to mention Ricketts at $200k and Guervara at $150K plus.

In my opinion a DP is not a neccesity a couple of above average CB and a striker is what we need. So how would we do all of that is we tie up the majority of our cap space with 3 playes.

Yohan
01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
because the fans deserve a DP, duh

and if Mo can't make it happen on such a tight salary cap, fire him! :p

dantdot
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM

We just traded for DeRo and his salary is $325K (I think that is what he gets paid), we pay Robo around $300k and the DP would be another $400k against the cap. I am no math wizard but that is about $1 million of a $2.3 million dollar cap. Not to mention Ricketts at $200k and Guervara at $150K plus.

In my opinion a DP is not a neccesity a couple of above average CB and a striker is what we need. So how would we do all of that is we tie up the majority of our cap space with 3 playes.

You're forgetting allocation money.

brad
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM

We don't. We need a player that can put the ball in the back of the net consistently. Whether that's a DP, some one from the MLS, or someone from the French second division doesn't matter. A goal is a goal.

However, there are a certain set of people around here that won't be happy unless they have a flashy name on the back of their jersey.

So how would we do all of that is we tie up the majority of our cap space with 3 playes.

The Galaxy did the same thing, not a bad place to look for the answer to this question. I believe that they also had a lot of allocation money.

David_Oliveira
01-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Mo must know something. At some point, the allocation money will run out and next year we still have to pay these contracts. Have the GMs been told something about a significant raise in the cap? :noidea:

Just playing devil's advocate

TFCREDNWHITE
01-06-2009, 07:47 PM

+1 Agree.

It would be most beneficial to have a DP brought in now.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Bingo. Disruptive is when the guy next to you doing the same job is making 10 times (or in the case of a DP, possibly even 50 or 100 times) more money than you.

I don't care. They are all professionals and that is life my friend, some people around you make more than you will ever make in your life.

I want a POWERHOUSE team. I would also like to have a powerhouse team set and ready to go for the pre-season. They(front office) have spent the last 2 years tinkering CONSTANTLY with the team all season and off season long...I'm sick and tired of it! I want my cake and i want to eat it too!!!

S_D
01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Well I am glad to see some sanity in this thread as the Dero one is now a shambles lol.

Indeed as you have both pointed out 2010 is the question in keeping the team together. The Galaxy have been a disaster and argueably a league embarrasment.

Just some food for thought:

1) The Galaxy at the end of last season were pushing to have the entire DP salary outside of the cap so the 400K would not count. The teams that are making money who can afford this may well support this.

2) The CBA is going to be negotiated soon.

3) There will be very little allocation cash for TFC at the end of next season if they make the playoffs. To make up allocation bucks, there are only so many ways you can do it. Sell players or draft picks. Wynne comes to mind of course as there have been rumblings since the middle of last season.

4) You can't just use your allocation money on any player's salary. MLS has very specific rules on how you can apply the money against players salaries.

Super
01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Salary cap = BS. But I've said that a million times already. The thought that my hard-earned dollars should go to aid the likes of Kansas City and Columbus Crew makes me sick. This is sport. It's about winning! What is the point of supporting a team if the money you support the team with doesn't actually go to it? The thought that the league can't survive without it is just silly. Allow individual teams to spend within their means. There's clearly plenty of interest in joining this league, so if a team has to fold due to money woes then so be it. Talk to Leeds Utd. about this, they've been there.

TFC has the money and interest to be a giant in this market, but because of the little markets, the little teams, we're held back and won't be able to develop into a giant that may, MAY, actually cause a bit of an interest on the international stage.

Oh well.

Shakes McQueen
01-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Well I am glad to see some sanity in this thread as the Dero one is now a shambles lol.

Indeed as you have both pointed out 2010 is the question in keeping the team together. The Galaxy have been a disaster and argueably a league embarrasment.

Just some food for thought:

1) The Galaxy at the end of last season were pushing to have the entire DP salary outside of the cap so the 400K would not count. The teams that are making money who can afford this may well support this.

2) The CBA is going to be negotiated soon.

3) There will be very little allocation cash for TFC at the end of next season if they make the playoffs. To make up allocation bucks, there are only so many ways you can do it. Sell players or draft picks. Wynne comes to mind of course as there have been rumblings since the middle of last season.

4) You can't just use your allocation money on any player's salary. MLS has very specific rules on how you can apply the money against players salaries.

Perhaps Mo is counting on the CBA to generate a large enough increase in the salary cap by 2010, that the extra salary we will have to account for, will be irrelevant.

The MLS salary cap is widely considered to be pitifully small, so I fully expect the players union to get it raised pretty significantly.

- Scott

Kooper
01-06-2009, 08:17 PM
because the fans deserve a DP, duh

and if Mo can't make it happen on such a tight salary cap, fire him! :p

Don't necessarily deserve a DP, the fans deserve a good team, which may or may not involve a DP. It is not up to us to make the changes it is up to Mo. His decisions in the off season will succeed or fail during the season. Only then when his team has played a few games and the results of his off season work has paid off or failed can we then call for his head. Until six or seven games in shut up and cheer for the team. Enough of this negativity. We haven't even kicked a ball and this board is full of whining and moaning about what hasn't happened yet.

And keep in mind we are an expansion team. The way the league is structured with the salary cap, shallow drafts, youth teams and reserve teams it is made for a teams that can build though smart drafting, youth development and patience. It is going to take time and it doesn't help if we are calling for the management's head every time there is a loss or when they don't sign a player that you heard from some guy on the internet that they were totally going to sign.

Beach_Red
01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Salary cap = BS. But I've said that a million times already. The thought that my hard-earned dollars should go to aid the likes of Kansas City and Columbus Crew makes me sick. This is sport. It's about winning! What is the point of supporting a team if the money you support the team with doesn't actually go to it? The thought that the league can't survive without it is just silly. Allow individual teams to spend within their means. There's clearly plenty of interest in joining this league, so if a team has to fold due to money woes then so be it. Talk to Leeds Utd. about this, they've been there.

TFC has the money and interest to be a giant in this market, but because of the little markets, the little teams, we're held back and won't be able to develop into a giant that may, MAY, actually cause a bit of an interest on the international stage.

Oh well.

I hate the salary cap, too, but I understand why it's needed. There wouldn't be a league without it. Now a few investors want to join (and they've said the fact salaries are controlled is one of the best things the league has going for it), but ten years ago no one wanted in. The cap will rise as the teams become more established and have solid season ticket bases, but I really think if it had been rushed, or there had been no cap, we would have simply had a repeat of NASL and ALL the teams would have folded.

The leagues that survive without salary caps are all full of long, well-established teams. In North America people laughed when the NFL made a run at baseball to become the number one sport, but they did it mainly because it operates almost as a single-entity league with revenue-sharing. The owners were smart enough (rare among billionaires, I agree) to realize that a new league is really only as strong as the weakest teams and that if the same few teams dominate year after year there'll be no growth in fan base beyond those cities. Which is okay, I guess, if you're in one of those cities, or if you're in an older league in which some the fan bases are well-established and supporters don't mind that they'll never win championships again (to be honest, I don't really get it and I'm curious what it'll look like in another twenty years).

So, really your "hard-earned dollars" can't only go to TFC because it's not much fun to go to the stadium and watch a scrimmage between team mates. You need the other teams.

But I agree, the cap has to be raised soon.

Detroit_TFC
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
The idea of a DP sounds good but the reality of the DPs used so far hasn't been so great. Blanco did lift up Chicago and Angel, when fit, did score a bunch for NJRB. Other those, the other DPs including Beckham have been duds.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-06-2009, 08:51 PM
The idea of a DP sounds good but the reality of the DPs used so far hasn't been so great. Blanco did lift up Chicago and Angel, when fit, did score a bunch for NJRB. Other those, the other DPs including Beckham have been duds.

Beckham can't single handedly win every single game. His skill in this league, is AMAZING! too bad he has no one in a support role...

I would love to have becks in a TFC uniform.

brad
01-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Beckham hasn't been a dud, he's been a fantastic player. The Galaxy led the league in goals scored, and Becks was a big part of that. The problem was they tied up to much cap space in a few quality players and had to field crap for the rest of the team.

Interesting thing with Blanco - the Fire fans were split on him. Some loved him, others didn't like him. All the attack filtered through him, and they though it made the team to one dimensional.

brad
01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Beckham can't single handedly win every single game. His skill in this league, is AMAZING! too bad he has no one in a support role...

I would love to have becks in a TFC uniform.

Would you - if it was at the expense of having to field the rest of the crap that the Galaxy had to in order to fit in under the cap?

Pachuco
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Out of curiosity, how do you judge Beckham to be a dud? Everytime I see him play in the MLS he's the best player on the field. He single handedly sold 6,000 season tickets IN TORONTO the day after he signed IN LA. He's probably sold more jerseys then any MLS player at this point (though I don't know that for sure). So I ask again, how is it that Beckham's been a dud?

Yohan
01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Beckham hasn't been a dud, he's been a fantastic player. The Galaxy led the league in goals scored, and Becks was a big part of that. The problem was they tied up to much cap space in a few quality players and had to field crap for the rest of the team.

Interesting thing with Blanco - the Fire fans were split on him. Some loved him, others didn't like him. All the attack filtered through him, and they though it made the team to one dimensional.
well, having becks would for sure turn Barrett into a 15goal scorer ;)

brad
01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Out of curiosity, how do you judge Beckham to be a dud? Everytime I see him play in the MLS he's the best player on the field. He single handedly sold 6,000 season tickets IN TORONTO the day after he signed IN LA. He's probably sold more jerseys then any MLS player at this point (though I don't know that for sure). So I ask again, how is it that Beckham's been a dud?

I've actually heard that Beckhams Galaxy jersey was the number one selling jersey in the world last year.

Shakes McQueen
01-06-2009, 09:06 PM

LA Galaxy's problems haven't been the result of Beckham's play. LA was the top scoring team in league last year, largely due to his distribution skills. He took an underperformer like Buddle, and helped make him a scoring beast.

LA was also had the worst GAA in the league. That was what sunk LA - their shitty defense.

Angel and Blanco are surrounded by decent teams. That is why they have fared better.

- Scott

Kooper
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
LA Galaxy's problems haven't been the result of Beckham's play. LA was the top scoring team in league last year, largely due to his distribution skills. He took an underperformer like Buddle, and helped make him a scoring beast.

LA was also had the worst GAA in the league. That was what sunk LA - their shitty defense.

Angel and Blanco are surrounded by decent teams. That is why they have fared better.

- Scott

The rational why Becks was a dud is that with the low salary cap of 2.3 million the combined salary of Becks and Landycakes (800K total applied to the cap) has left the team with only 1.5 million to fill the rest of the team. He can only do so much and isn't much of a defender.

Ontario Arab
01-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Salary cap is a load of pish in all sports.....

Pachuco
01-07-2009, 01:23 AM
The rational why Becks was a dud is that with the low salary cap of 2.3 million the combined salary of Becks and Landycakes (800K total applied to the cap) has left the team with only 1.5 million to fill the rest of the team. He can only do so much and isn't much of a defender.

You are forgetting Ruiz, HE WAS THE DUD. If they don't sign Ruiz in the off season then they have decent money left over to get a decent defender. All they needed was a half decent defense to make the playoffs with the amount of goals they put up. Remember, if they draft a defender who is ready for the MLS and they sign one with the Ruiz's money they used last year then you could be looking at a pretty strong LA team this year.

rocker
01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Salary cap is a load of pish in all sports.....

the salary cap is one of the greatest sports business inventions.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
the salary cap is one of the greatest sports business inventions.

im all for salary caps.....but the current cap in MLS....is jokes...for a league that wants to move forward!........

A cap of 5mill....would do wonders for MLS!

Kooper
01-07-2009, 12:42 PM
im all for salary caps.....but the current cap in MLS....is jokes...for a league that wants to move forward!........

A cap of 5mill....would do wonders for MLS!

Given the current economic world doubling the salary cap could be very hard on teams like KC. I know thier attendance sucks to begin with but it will be worse when Toronto, New York, LA, Chicago and Seattle can fill their squad but they can't. The cap should go up but in baby steps. We don't want a league with too much difference between top and bottom and we don't want to bankrupt the league.

Oblio2
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
January 5th+2

Still nothing

cementhead
01-07-2009, 01:10 PM
All I like to see is are young talent stay put and bring in few good player .We need a good working base to build on with young star so fans have recognition of these stars.So let the salary rise to double and let keep the good young stars!Because I hate being the feeder system for the EPL.

ben_vw
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
No DP guys... http://www.tfcconnected.com/2009/01/no-dp-for-tfc.html

brad
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
No DP guys... http://www.tfcconnected.com/2009/01/no-dp-for-tfc.html

Queue the shit storm...

Cashcleaner
01-08-2009, 01:40 AM
You know what really makes me sad? Not the fact that we could be going another season without a DP, but the fact that so many TFC fans don't think that's something to be upset about.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-08-2009, 01:57 AM
im upset at the fact that people think a DP is the end all be all

jazz_trumpet
01-08-2009, 02:57 AM
It's not like we don't have something positive to look forward to next season. We're bottom dwellers right now. No place to go but up.

.J.B.
01-08-2009, 06:19 AM
It's not like we don't have something positive to look forward to next season. We're bottom dwellers right now. No place to go but up.

That's what we said after year 1.....