PDA

View Full Version : Nutrilite Canadian Champions League

Oldtimer
05-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Canada Cup is now the "Nutrilite Canadian Champions League."

CBC will stream all games live and broadcast all games (some on delay)

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=84703&issue=05232008

CBC today announced a broadcast agreement with Soccer Canada for the broadcast rights to the inaugural Nutrilite Canadian Champions League – the Canadian qualifying tournament for the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) Champions League.

Takes the CSA to come up with a dumb name like this. At least it has a sponsor, so maybe the CSA won't lose money on this.

ilikemusic
05-23-2008, 10:55 AM
'League' is kind of a stretch when there are only three teams, no? :rolleyes:

ccopela
05-23-2008, 10:58 AM
that's the worst name i've ever heard

Lucky Strike
05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
What will the trophy be? A granola bar? Oh well, it just sounds "fake" for now because we're not used to the name.

Oldtimer
05-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Nutrilite is a vitamin sold by Amway, how prestigious. :rolleyes:

At least ronaldinho uses their products, so there is a footy link.

http://www.nutrilite.com/

NF-FC
05-23-2008, 11:04 AM
wow, this is almost as good as xango or herbalife

werewolf
05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
wow, thats bad :lol:

dantdot
05-23-2008, 11:19 AM
The sponser doesn't really bother me, the fact that it's called champions league with no champions playing is pretty funny.

icecoldbeer
05-23-2008, 11:20 AM
i want vitamins!!!!

icecoldbeer
05-23-2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.nutrilite.com/en-us/TeamNutrilite/Athletes/ronaldinho.aspx

videos are hilarious

James17930
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Why. Why Why. I mean, seriously, FFS. Why.

Why not 'Nutrilife Canadian Open Cup?' At least that makes sense. This is a CUP tournament, right?

So now we have to win a Champions League in order to play in another Champions League? Doesn't anybody know what the fuck they're doing?

Cashcleaner
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
As I posted on the Voyageurs site:

Wow. What a crap name for a tournament. Like the prvious poster says, the teams in question aren't neccesarily champions of their respective league, nor are they competing for a national league championship. To top it off, the winner goes to the CONCACAF Champions League.

And while I don't mind corporate sponsorship attached to these things, isn't Nutrilite a pretty crappy company to be associated with? They're owned by AMWAY!

Can't believe how incredible shitty the name is for the new tournament. Nutrilite Canada Cup of Soccer has a much better ring to it.

VPjr
05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
shitty name...yes

the fact this tournament is actually happening trumps the crappiness of this game.

Best way to deal with the fact we hate the name is to NEVER EVER utter the name of the sponsor and NEVER EVER buy the product.

I intend to call it Canada Cup and nothing else.

It should have been called the Voyageurs Cup in my opinion but of course that wouldn't happen unless the V's were prepared to hand over a cheque.

Azerban
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
ahahahaha you're fucking kidding ahahahahaha csa you're nothing but a bunch of fucking chumps

Oldtimer
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Sack The Csa!!!!!

Cashcleaner
05-23-2008, 12:33 PM
shitty name...yes

the fact this tournament is actually happening trumps the crappiness of this game.

Best way to deal with the fact we hate the name is to NEVER EVER utter the name of the sponsor and NEVER EVER buy the product.

I intend to call it Canada Cup and nothing else.

It should have been called the Voyageurs Cup in my opinion but of course that wouldn't happen unless the V's were prepared to hand over a cheque.

Huh? Why would the V's have to pay the organisers to use their name?

Wilbix
05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I just......don't understand.

I don't know anyone involved with the CSA, but one would think they actually understand English. The name they have chosen is simply inaccurate. This tournament is not a League, nor are the teams participating in it Champions. How is that not clear to everyone???

graeme117
05-23-2008, 01:36 PM
please tell me they got the name wrong!! is it only the one source? cause the name of the tourney does kinda matter if its a year over year thing...

Red CB Toronto
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Interesting name, do not know what to really think about it, I am sure we will get used to it even thought we may not like it.

tfc_4_ever
05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow this name brought a good chuckle. Hopefully I will get use to it but I seriously doubt that.

Cambridge_Red
05-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I really don't care what the name is because it'll probably get changed in a year or so anyways. Just look at the Carling/Barclaycard/?? English Premiership. It sponsored so atleast thats all that really matters..

ilikemusic
05-23-2008, 02:04 PM
The sponsor is irrelevant. What is relevant though....

1. It isnt a league

2. There are no Champions in it

:noidea:

At least they got the 'Canadian' part right.

Cambridge_Red
05-23-2008, 02:06 PM
/\ Hopefully in a couple years we will have more Canadian teams to join our "league".

Gobi
05-23-2008, 02:40 PM

QFTLOLWTF

Nazzer
05-23-2008, 03:30 PM
please tell me they got the name wrong!! is it only the one source? cause the name of the tourney does kinda matter if its a year over year thing...

CBC has the name all over their website. If you look at the webstream schedule they use it there. So, no. They didn't get it wrong.

Can't believe how incredible shitty the name is for the new tournament. Nutrilite Canada Cup of Soccer has a much better ring to it.

Althought the new name sounds kinda stupid, we'll probably get used to it. And the Canada Cup of Soccer probably only had a better ring to it becuase it had been used by fans for awhile now.

S_D
05-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Canada Cup is now the "Nutrilite Canadian Champions League."

Takes the CSA to come up with a dumb name like this. At least it has a sponsor, so maybe the CSA won't lose money on this.

Well at least it isn't "Nutrilite Canadian Champions League brought you by XXXXX" like that tournament last year.

Terrible name but they have a sponsor which shows that they are trying to at least minimize the amount of money they will lose :D.

ag futbol
05-23-2008, 07:01 PM
What a bunch of idiots. Not suprizing.

Dirk Diggler
05-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Meh...I don't give a shit what company its sponsored by. Its just the Champions League bit that sounds a bit pretentious. But whatever, I don't really care what the tournament is called. This shouldn't take away from an otherwise exciting tournament.

sully
05-23-2008, 07:36 PM
yeah - mind boggling stuff.. but at least "The winner of the Nutrilite [can't bring myself to say it] will receive the Voyageurs Cup trophy" - at least we can attach some 'legitimacy' to the trophy that'll be awarded the winner.

Keystone FC
05-24-2008, 05:16 AM
QFTLOLWTF

Yeah, what Amanda said...which I have no clue but I trust her.

profit89
05-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Gotta do something about the name.

Redpunkfiddle
05-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes! I knew TFC would be Champions this year!

Thank you Nutralite (tm).

Razcle
05-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Why. Why Why. I mean, seriously, FFS. Why.

Why not 'Nutrilife Canadian Open Cup?' At least that makes sense. This is a CUP tournament, right?

Well for starters...it is not an open cup...TFC Impact and Whitecaps were selected to play in their tourney. Otherwise the RPB KW Crew would sign up to try and make it to Concacaf Champions League.:canada:

canadian_bhoy
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
So is this crappy name going to affect the use of the voyageurs cup as the trophy?
I'm not a big fan of the cup, it looks cheap, but you can't knock the effort of the guys who put that together!

As long as the "cup" doesn't end up being a polar bear carving or something like that, I'll be happy.

dantdot
05-24-2008, 12:14 PM
So is this crappy name going to affect the use of the voyageurs cup as the trophy?
I'm not a big fan of the cup, it looks cheap, but you can't knock the effort of the guys who put that together!

As long as the "cup" doesn't end up being a polar bear carving or something like that, I'll be happy.

The winner will be awarded the Voyageurs cup, so consider that a win.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 12:15 PM
From what I've read on the V's forums, they ARE going to use the Voyageurs Cup and keep the name as-is.

So with that in mind, let's just call the tourney the Voyageurs Cup. :)

Red CB Toronto
05-24-2008, 02:58 PM
The name of the tourney being Canadian Champions League is somewhat of a joke, I would have been much happier with say something along the lines of Canadian Challenge Cup. But at least the Voyageurs Cup is being awarded, that is a step in the right direction.

mlsintoronto
05-24-2008, 03:19 PM
a little bird has told me that the name might get changed...Nutrilife Canadian Championship.

makes sense to me.

Daveisonfire
05-24-2008, 03:56 PM
a little bird has told me that the name might get changed...Nutrilife Canadian Championship.

makes sense to me.

Thank god:rolleyes:

Nazzer
05-24-2008, 06:51 PM
From what I've read on the V's forums, they ARE going to use the Voyageurs Cup and keep the name as-is.

So with that in mind, let's just call the tourney the Voyageurs Cup. :)

So should we refer to the entire NHL season as the 'Stanley Cup'.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
^ No. But we do call the post-season matches the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bender
05-25-2008, 04:56 PM

makes sense to me.

oh thank god i love you.

sully
05-25-2008, 05:02 PM

makes sense to me.

well done little bird

Billy the kid
05-25-2008, 06:16 PM
agreed

Dirk Diggler
05-25-2008, 06:36 PM

makes sense to me.

Bitchy told you that? Awesome!