PDA

View Full Version : Future of the 4 Canadian kids

rocker
12-26-2008, 12:32 PM
So i was just looking at the TFC roster on MLSnet.com and noticed that Gaudet, Melo, Gala and Nana all turn 20 years old this year. That's a big milestone for these 4 kids, personally and professionally.

What should we expect from these guys this year?

Gala and Melo actually played fewer games in 2008 than 2007... but they stick around so Mo and Carver must see something in them. I really haven't seen enough of Melo to know what he brings. In season 1 he seems to just get the ball and quickly pass it off.
Nana should get more games I think. He's a gem.
Gaudet I liked in the one match I saw. I need to see more of him though to know what he'll offer.

I also wonder what the implications of the roster makeup alterations will have on these guys. 2 extra senior spots, 4 fewer dev spots I believe. Does Nana get a bump up to senior?

Canadian Blue
12-26-2008, 12:39 PM
I bet none of these guys will ever see any major playing time with TFC. The only way they get any quality minutes will be due to injury or in the Canada Cup thingy, but only if we have guaranteed that we will advance.

CretanBull
12-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not too sure about Gaudet and Melo, but I've liked both Gala and Nana when I've seen them play. If we can tighten up our backline, I think either of Gala or Nana can play a wing-back type player to replace Wynne when he leaves.

Razcle
12-26-2008, 01:56 PM
I would love to see these kids get hungry and bump off someone like a Todd Dunivant for more playing minutes. It would be nice to see one of them break through and show the fans that we have a good development process in place.

Bobo
12-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Attakora and Gala are quality. Gaudet I can't comment on but Melo has shown absolutely nothing.

GhostPK
12-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Melo shows lots of hope on my Fifa 09..... :P

Laurignano
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Bring back Lombardo lol

Razcle
12-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Bring back Lombardo lol

To do what exactly?

egoodwin
12-27-2008, 01:15 AM
To do what exactly?
half time entertainment

new carlsberg entertainment segment... how many balls can lombardo send into the lake while trying to score a goal

Keystone FC
12-27-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm hoping they see some good pitch time during the preseason and in Charleston, but we'll just have to wait to see how they fit in to the plans for the team this year. It will be interesting to see what happens with DeRo and the possibility of a DP. Idf the DP happens then that should allow room for changes to back and middle. Carter could actually be able to play a bit with the squad.

VPjr
12-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm hopeful that TFC is able to work out some sort of arrangement that permits all 4 of the young Canadians (and any other young player not getting regular playing time for that matter) to be loaned out to the TFC-Academy team in CSL so they can get regular playing time at a relatively high level.

It is critical to the development of these players that they get regular game time. This is especially true of Gala, Gaudet and Melo, who did not play much at all last year (Reserve League games were far too infrequent).

I think Nana is slated to move up to the senior roster soon, IMO. He is captain of Canada's U20, proved himself to be up to the task of spot starting for TFC last season (He never embarrassed himself out there, unlike a couple of higher profile CB's I can think of). He has room to improve but he will be an important depth player for TFC in 2009.

BTW, i think Gala is best suited to a more offensive role. I'm not sure why he is slotted in as a defender in TFC world....Canada's U20 had him playing in behind Marcus Haber as a withdrawn forward and he was very good apparently (scored a goal vs. Haiti). He's got good 1v1 skills. Maybe a season playing week in/week out in CSL at the forward position would speed up his development.

last thought....anyone know if Killian Elkinson is still with the team? i wouldn't even know what he looks like, to be honest but if he's still part of the mix, he too would make sense for a loan out to TFC-A.

the big question I've got is whether TFC has plans to allow pros to play on the TFC-A team, thereby jeapordizing the Academy players' NCAA eligibility.

mednus
12-27-2008, 02:51 PM
This is just one of many issues that makes me wish MLS would follow the Whitecaps example and have a full time professional academy.
The clubs shouldn't have to care about NCAA eligability!

I can see a few ways this will work out...........none good for TFC

1. They are cut for older seasoned players.
- then picked up on the free elsewhere and do well

2. They are kept and get absolutly zero playing time and never develop

jloome
12-28-2008, 01:28 PM
They are introducing academies across the league. WE have one, the Red Bulls and Fire have them. It'll be a few more years but they've at least recognized the need to address this; given the Gen. Adiddas stipulations with respect to NCAA eligibility and offering post-scholarships in exchange for MLS service, they can make this work.

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Comments the CSL commissioner made on the Soccer Show a while back seems to suggest that TFC is looking at using their CSL squad as more of a reserve team going forward. Maybe they’ll just find somewhere new for the U16 and U18 teams to play?

deschamp86
12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Reserve team should be CSL. I think PDL would be best suited for the Academies.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Reserve team should be CSL. I think PDL would be best suited for the Academies.

That setup could work for our reserve team and Academy squads. However, our latter players will need more than just the PDL in order to develop. The PDL season is simply too short on its own.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-28-2008, 07:52 PM
To do what exactly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8V9PSMIly8&feature=bz301

A bit mean, but nonetheless funny.:D

deschamp86
12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
That setup could work for our reserve team and Academy squads. However, our latter players will need more than just the PDL in order to develop. The PDL season is simply too short on its own.

And with that setup, the better players could be promoted to the Reserve squad, though this would likely forfeit their NCAA eligibility.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
And with that setup, the better players could be promoted to the Reserve squad, though this would likely forfeit their NCAA eligibility.

That possibility would certainly hinder the movement of entirely-amateur players onto our reserve squad. Just throwing this out there, but perhaps TFC could find a way to work with major Canadian universities regarding player development. If TFC could develop players in school, then have their players compete in the PDL in the summer, the club would have a much more pronounced role in player development, without compromising NCAA/CIS eligibility.

mednus
12-30-2008, 09:01 PM
That possibility would certainly hinder the movement of entirely-amateur players onto our reserve squad. Just throwing this out there, but perhaps TFC could find a way to work with major Canadian universities regarding player development. If TFC could develop players in school, then have their players compete in the PDL in the summer, the club would have a much more pronounced role in player development, without compromising NCAA/CIS eligibility.

The problem with this setup is the club is developing players on the FREE.
Wth a 24 player roster and MLS rules the clubs have almost no chance of developing players and keeping them! with the Whitecaps Club Model (I hope they can keep it or stay in the USL) they have approx 50 paid players in their system. The players are under contract and therefore the club is ensured of keeping them or selling( to recoup some costs).

jloome
12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Based on what we've seen so far, I'd say

Attakora: Certainly ready for a senior team backup role. Probably not ready, due to general lack of first-team playing time, for a starting role should Wynne leave in the days ahead.

Gala: Not ready to start, a capable backup, although given that we have both Dunivant and Jimmy B on that side, when would he get the chance? He was quite capable on the left-wing -- there was a great instance of him holding off a defender (against the Red Bulls, I think) twice his size to hold onto the ball, but looked a little nervous/overawed at left back.

Melo: Seems technically gifted but has seen little time; when he's been in he's looked behind the play and somewhat overawed, as with Gabe G.

Rosenlund: Is already a capable backup who may become a quite effective player over the next few years. WE haven't seen enough to judge on the whole but his big fault was perhaps being too direct.

Gaudet: Who'd know? I can't even remember him making the pitch.

Elkinson: Again, not enough info.

T_Mizz
01-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I think all of these kids are able to becoming decent contributing players in this league except maybe elkinson who hasn't proven anything from what I've seen

Keyman
01-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I created a thread a while back on Toronto's younger core of players, and gave my opinion on what I felt their futures would hold. I'll just copy and paste what I said in there, since it's relevant. Ignore the non-Canucks. Oh and Julius James haha, he's gone!

This would be my list of "young" players, it includes what I feel will be their estimated impact year and my thoughts :

Gabe Gala (19) - Fantastic player out wide either at the back or in the midfield. Impresses me every time I see him play. He has quite a bit of pace, he can whip in a some beautiful crosses, and he is also a strong tackler. He is one for the future.
Estimated impact year: 2010

Abdus Ibrahim (17) - Toronto FC's wonderkid. This guy can flat out play the sport. He has a wonderful touch around the net, enough pace to cause havoc for slower MLS backlines, good ability with the ball at his feat, a good work ethic and he is only 17. Once the kid puts on some weight he is going to be a star in this league in my opinion, unless he goes to Europe. All he needs is experience and a solid mentor, who I hope he will get this offsesaon with the signing of a designated player. I don't see him being a significant player next year, but more of an energy, late sub type guy.
Estimated impact year: 2010

Nana Attakora-Gyan (19) - For a 19 year old, I think Nana has performed very well this season. He is very athletic, like Julius James, but he plays a much more simple and calculated game. He seems to have a great soccer IQ, which is a vital trait for a defender to have. Nana really seems to have no glaring weaknesses, all he needs is more time. I think he is going to be a very solid player for TFC in the future, he will be our general at the back. I think he will become an important player to the team at the end of next year, and turn into an everyday player in 2010.
Estimated impact year: Late 2009

Julius James (24) - James may be older, but I include him because he is a rookie. In my opinion, James has not performed well this season. He is an athletic freak, but he lacks soccer IQ and true defensive qualities. Now I'm just guessing here, but part of me believes his athletic ability compensated for his shortcomings in college, which is why he was so highly touted. However, now that he is against better competition, these weaknesses become very evident. I'm willing to give James another year, maybe more experience will change him, but I don't see him with the club past next season.
Estimated impact year - Gone after 2009

Joey Melo (19) - What happened to this guy? I really have nothing to say about him. I've seen him play a couple times for our reserves, but he hasn't done anything special. Maybe someone can give a more in-depth analysis? But if I had to guess..
Estimated impact year: Gone after 2009

Johann Smith (21) - Future star or one-dimensional flop? I've heard both sides argued. Personally, I believe Johann is going to be a star in this league, and soon. He has wicked pace (100m in 10.5s), he can dangle with the best, he can send in perfect crosses and he can even even score (seen in his U20 performances). He just has to put it all together. I get pretty happy when I think of our flanks being set for the next couple years with Smith and Ricketts! Next season I think we will see him break out, and become one of our best players.
Estimated impact year: 2009

Tyler Rosenlund (22) - Tyler is a very smart, exciting player. He makes very good runs, always seems to be positioned well, and is very good as a creative midfielder. His one glaring weakness is his finishing, it aint that great. When he has skilled players around him, and he is given space, he is a very dangerous player. He will benefit from more attacking options next season. I don't think he will ever become a star, but he will be an important domestic player for years to come.
Estimated impact year: 2009

Brian Edwards (23) - Cut. Not a good GK IMO.
Estimated impact year: Never

Derek Gaudet (19) - Really don't have a lot to say, although I have heard good things about him. I will leave him as a (?).

And finally..

David Monsalve (19) - I know he isn't technically with the team, but he will be. Fantastic 'keeper in my opinion, who has the ability to be a starter down the road. He impresses me every time he plays. He comes off his line well, is very quick, good positioning and has a good reaction time. Hopefully he is a part of the squad next season.
Estimated impact year: 2011-2012

VPjr
01-01-2009, 11:17 PM
^ Rumour has it that Monsalve is in Norway, trialing with Lillestrom (apparently Tosaint Ricketts is trailing for the same club)

Ossington Mental Youth
01-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Gotta say i always thought Gala was a winger not a defender, that being said i was relatively impressed by what i saw from him. I do think that him, Attakora and Rosenlund are ready to become regular back ups. I really like Rosenlund and think hes got great passing and positioning skills, his shooting/finishing is a bit off but something im sure that can be worked on.

SweetOwnGoal
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Joey Melo was cut last month (http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/01/reds-cut-melo.html)

Blizzard
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Don't forget that the Academy U-16's played in the CSL Reserve Division. There is no reason why that team couldn't be an amalgalm of the the two sides. Either that or place a team in the OSL or something like that.