PDA

View Full Version : Trade off Draft Picks? - Ives - Mock Draft 2.0

Ossington Mental Youth
12-25-2008, 02:40 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/sbi-mls-mock-draft-20.html

The growing buzz is that Toronto FC is looking to part with some, if not all, of its first-round picks. A team poised to make serious noise in 2009, TFC is looking for veterans who can contribute immediately rather than rookies who will need time to develop. The club also already has three young prospects it rates highly in Abdus Ibrahim, Johann Smith and Brian Edwards, so fitting three more rookies on a roster that only has four developmental roster spots would be difficult.
TFC isn't the only team ready to unload first-round picks. FC Dallas is loaded with young talents to go along with its two first-round draft picks, so don't be surprised to see picks and prospects to move up to a Top 3 spot to try and grab Omar Gonzalez (though I hear Ike Opara is the player they really covet).

Keyman
12-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Good, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'd rather acquire a proven player to add to our roster, or some allocation money, instead of bringing in an unproven NCAA player. Our future, from this point forward, should be our academy. Hopefully Mo can swing a deal for a central defender or some depth on the flanks.

Roogsy
12-25-2008, 02:58 PM
That and this isn't the NBA where draft picks can make serious noise in their first year. There is a very average success with these players out of the NCAA in terms of producing starters. Maybe roster players yes...but not a heapload of starters let alone serious producers.

rocker
12-25-2008, 03:15 PM
i agree. every year they have this draft but there isn't really room, if you have a stable roster, to keep adding 3 new players each year from college aged 22-23).
We already have some young prospects (Ibby, Smith, Gala, Nana -- all younger than the typical college senior), so these college guys would have to be far and away better than those to get playing time.

If Mo could package some picks off for a solid 27-29 year old central defender who plays in MLS already and is proven, I'd take that. Not too old a player, cuz we want them to be around for at least 3 years or so, but not someone who's so young they don't have much experience.

MartinUtd
12-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Brian Edwards is highly rated? Really?

twistedchinaman
12-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Ante Jazic from LA for one of our picks. Really? Come on now...do we even have a need for someone like Jazic?

rocker
12-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Brian Edwards is highly rated? Really?

he got a national team camp callup recently

CretanBull
12-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Overall, I think it's a good idea to improve the team now, but established players worth playing are likely to create salary cap problems for us - unless we give up on the idea of a DP. Also, I'd *love* to see Ike Opara play for us...

LucaGol
12-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Im not sure im fond of this idea. Young players are cheap. We already have some expensive players on our roster and are guaranteed to be adding 2 more in DDR and the unnamed DP.

Maybe if we can unload our 13th pick and a roster player for a CB ... great ... but I don't want to pass up the opportunity to draft players like Ike Opara, Omar Gonzalez and Steve Zakuani ... just for some short term gain.

rocker
12-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Im not sure im fond of this idea. Young players are cheap. We already have some expensive players on our roster and are guaranteed to be adding 2 more in DDR and the unnamed DP.

Maybe if we can unload our 13th pick and a roster player for a CB ... great ... but I don't want to pass up the opportunity to draft players like Ike Opara, Omar Gonzalez and Steve Zakuani ... just for some short term gain.

But if you could trade 2 picks for a solid MLS CB who's 27-29 you wouldn't do it?
I would.

Honestly I've never seen ANY of those guys play. Every year there's all this hype about the draft players yet I don't see too many contributing regularly. Last year I heard people say Julius James was the best defensive prospect in the draft, and someone said he was ready for MLS "two years ago."

If Mo could get a solid defender i'd take it for 2 first round picks. the guy could be here for 5 years... that's a long time.

The money implications don't concern me. If Mo can figure out a way to do it under the cap, I say do it.

jloome
12-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm not really in a position to say one way or another; it seems draft players are something of a crapshoot, given that, while they're represented in some of the league's top players, the vast majority go nowhere.

Lots of people are big on Opara and Gonzalez; but those same people were saying Julius James could step right into starting in MLS and were, politely, off their nut.

If we could get a veteran defender like CJ Brown ofor a draft pick, I'd take it.

Corpand
12-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Knowing what Mo does, we are sure to see a quality trade between TFC and some other teams. Been thinking of this idea all along and Mo held onto the picks wayyy until now where teams might be more willing to trade their players away.

VPjr
12-26-2008, 12:29 AM

Young players are cheap for a reason....most of them don't bring a lot to the table in terms of being able to contribute right away.

By dropping 4 Dev Roster spots and killing the reserve league, MLS is basically saying they are not entirely interested in professional player development in the short to medium term. Who knows what happens with roster sizes when the next CBA gets negotiated.

Right now, the smart move is to use maybe 1 draft pick (either #2 or #4) to get a quality young player and then use the other 2 picks to bring in the type of help on D that we need.

And to answer another poster's question...yes, Ante Jazic would be an excellent pick up at the right price.

#1 he's a Canadian. He would be able to replace a player like Todd Dunivant for about the same money, but having Jazic on the roster would free up a US/International roster spot.

#2 Ante is a useful player, capable of playing at LB or CB. He is a smart, safe player. In his younger days in Europe, I remember he used to play a little midfield as well, although those days might be past him now.

Having said that, I'm not sure I can see LAG trading away a veteran defender...they need depth on D even more than TFC does.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Keep the #2 pick....and then trade away the #4 and #13 spot for a CB.

With MoJo at the helm of the #2 spot i have FULL faith in him picking up a GEM of a player...

Let us not forget $5 MILLION for Mo' Edu!!!! i think we can get around $5 Million for Wynne also .. Who knows maybe in a couple of years we could get $10-15 Million for Ibbe...

Nuvinho
12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I like Gonzalez, he looks like he can be a very good MLS defender.

CretanBull
12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Gonzalez looks like the more MLS-ready defender, but Opara has more upside IMO - he's atleast as good as James, but he's 5 years younger.

rocker
12-26-2008, 11:46 AM
by "looks" do you guys mean you've seen him play with your own eyes?

Nuvinho
12-26-2008, 11:49 AM
If Opara comes out........I hope Mo can get both Opara and Gonzalez, maybe trade the 4th pick and Marshall for the 1st overall.

Nuvinho
12-26-2008, 11:50 AM
by "looks" do you guys mean you've seen him play with your own eyes?

I have watched a few games.

CretanBull
12-26-2008, 12:12 PM
On Gonzalez I'm going by the scouting reports that I've read of him, but I've seen Opara play a few times and he looks really good - he's great with his head, both in clearing high balls in the box and knocking in corner kicks.

DigzTFC!
12-26-2008, 12:16 PM
The real question is: "Can these guys dribble and pass?". Julius James is freal physically but he couldn't pass or dribble comfortably at the MLS speed (yet). Sure maybe the guys can clear out of the box and head the ball, but thats the bare minimum for a defender. The attack always starts from the back

CretanBull
12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
^ Gonzalez likely can, he's seen as being "MLS ready" but he's a defensive minded CB dribbling, running with the ball and passing aren't really his game - clearing the ball, being rough and opposing are.

Opara has the raw talent and ability, he's adjusted very well as a freshman. He'll probably need time to adjust to the MLS but he's got the skills for sure, and his potential looks great (probably a European bound player in a few years). He's the kind of player who would have us in awe one minute, and shaking our heads the next...until he adapts to the league.

rocker
12-26-2008, 12:47 PM
but tell me, are these two guys better than Nana ya think? cuz Nana has played in MLS and looked capable to my eyes. I think Nana looked more capable than Julius James, and Nana is much younger than James. I see that these two americans are about the same age as Nana.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Keep the #2 pick....and then trade away the #4 and #13 spot for a CB.

With MoJo at the helm of the #2 spot i have FULL faith in him picking up a GEM of a player...

Let us not forget $5 MILLION for Mo' Edu!!!! i think we can get around $5 Million for Wynne also .. Who knows maybe in a couple of years we could get $10-15 Million for Ibbe...

:drinking:

jloome
12-26-2008, 06:39 PM
The real question is: "Can these guys dribble and pass?". Julius James is freal physically but he couldn't pass or dribble comfortably at the MLS speed (yet). Sure maybe the guys can clear out of the box and head the ball, but thats the bare minimum for a defender. The attack always starts from the back

James's passing and dribbling -- not the most essential components for a centre half anyway -- weren't really the issue; he's a natural athlete, and technique can always be improved.

The guy couldn't read the game. That's the problem with most college athletes stepping up to professional: the speed changes dramatically, and staying positionally a step ahead is very difficult for them. James was woeful at reading the game this year, which is why I suspect all the physical tools aren't going to keep him in Houston's starting lineup, despite the wishful thinking of Dynamo fans.

VPjr
12-27-2008, 04:19 PM
but tell me, are these two guys better than Nana ya think? cuz Nana has played in MLS and looked capable to my eyes. I think Nana looked more capable than Julius James, and Nana is much younger than James. I see that these two americans are about the same age as Nana.

I have far more faith in Nana than I would have in college players. Nana has trained professionally for almost 2 years. I guy like Opara can have all kind of upside (and I'm sure he does) but he's not that far removed from Super Y soccer....

BTW, Opara is 1 month older than Nana and they are basically the same size (Nana is 1 inch shorter).

Corpand
12-27-2008, 11:02 PM
James's passing and dribbling -- not the most essential components for a centre half anyway -- weren't really the issue; he's a natural athlete, and technique can always be improved.

The guy couldn't read the game. That's the problem with most college athletes stepping up to professional: the speed changes dramatically, and staying positionally a step ahead is very difficult for them. James was woeful at reading the game this year, which is why I suspect all the physical tools aren't going to keep him in Houston's starting lineup, despite the wishful thinking of Dynamo fans.

Exactly, look at Wynne. Lots of raw power and it took him a while to get into the mental side of soccer.

rocker
12-27-2008, 11:53 PM
if James had come outta college at age 20 he could follow in Wynne's development path and be a useful player. However, coming out at 23 he really screwed himself.

rocker
12-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Opara not coming to MLS yet
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/sources-opara-staying-in-school.html

DigzTFC!
12-29-2008, 03:29 PM
From the Vs board:

Toissaint Ricketts is trialing with a Norwegian team and might trial with a Danish one. I guess he's determined to bypass MLS

Bdking2
12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I'd like to see us trade the number 2 and 4 spots to get a decent experienced defender and then take O'Brian White with the number 13 spot. I just hope White is around long enough. He may be injured/recovering now but I feel he is going to be huge.