PDA

View Full Version : Andre Hainault to Houston?

Razcle
12-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Andre Hainault has been put on Houston's discovery list and snagged his rights

http://www.glenndavissoccer.com/2008/12/23/dynamo-considering-two-new-defenders/

Did we drop the ball on this guys. Could he be an upgrade to what we already have? He seemed like a decent player IMO and taking a domestic spot is better than the alternative :canada:

MODS* Maybe this should be moved to MLS News as it relates to the league

Shaughno
12-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Another Canadian talent we should have been looking at signing.

Ageroo
12-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Yes....we should have had him on the radar...good young Canadian talent, and a good defender......

Lucky Strike
12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Definitely, shame about missing out if true....

rocker
12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't think it's a big deal. You only get 6 discovery claims in a year.
TFC may have made claims on players far better than Hainault at this point, and Mo probably didn't want to waste a claim on a guy who is an international for every other team (think strategy here). Houston also has to sign him or else other teams can sign him once the deadline is over.

I also would like to know if he wants to come to Houston or TFC. His reps may have had contact with Houston, seeing it as a better opportunity. who knows.. somebody ask him on facebook! ;)

BakaGaijin
12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
TFC may have made claims on players far better than Hainault at this point, and Mo probably didn't want to waste a claim on a guy who is an international for every other team (think strategy here). Houston also has to sign him or else other teams can sign him once the deadline is over.

I also would like to know if he wants to come to Houston or TFC. His reps may have had contact with Houston, seeing it as a better opportunity. who knows.. somebody ask him on facebook! ;)

He's better than Marshall or Velez.

rocker
12-24-2008, 11:54 AM
He's better than Marshall or Velez.

how do you know? have you seen Hainault play in MLS? ;)

I've seen guys come into this league who had a wayyyy better pedigree than Hainault and they weren't too hot (See DC's and NY's recent south american defensive signings).
So I'm surprised people are so confident he could be better than Marshall and Velez.
I think if we get a defender it needs to be someone with a better resume than Hainault.

I wouldn't put a discovery claim on him, but if he wanted to come to TFC for the minimum salary and is willing to be a bench player and challenge the starters, I'd take him. But no big loss if not.

Beach_Red
12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't put a discovery claim on him, but if he wanted to come to TFC for the minimum salary and is willing to be a bench player and challenge the starters, I'd take him. But no big loss if not.

It does seem to be a risky discovery claim if he hasn't already been contacted and shown interest. For all we know, TFC talked to his agent and there was no interest at all, why waste the claim?

VPjr
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
how do you know? have you seen Hainault play in MLS? ;)

I've seen guys come into this league who had a wayyyy better pedigree than Hainault and they weren't too hot (See DC's and NY's recent south american defensive signings).
So I'm surprised people are so confident he could be better than Marshall and Velez.
I think if we get a defender it needs to be someone with a better resume than Hainault.

Just curious....why on earth would you expect a guy with 2-3 years in Czech top division and a 14 senior caps for Canada to accept an MLS minimum salary and a spot on the bench.

Do you honestly think that's what Houston has in mind for him? C'mon...get serious. They're not going to waste a discovery pick on an international if they forecast him as only a bench player. That's nonsensical. International roster spots are too precious to waste it on bench depth (BTW, someone should mention that to Mo).

This guy would be able to step in and start for TFC...of that I have no doubt. He is a definite upgrade over Velez and, most important, doesn't take up valuable international spots. He's familiar with the north american style of play and is a prototypical MLS central defender. He's big, strong and relatively athletic. He's not necessarily superbly skilled but he does the simple stuff relatively well. He's most certainly not the disaster that Velez is/was.

It is my opinion (unfounded) that Mo got scooped by Houston on this one. It is my opinion that Hainault would probably prefer to stay in Europe (for $$ reasons) but if he does come to MLS, it will be for a shot to play regular minutes. I have no doubt that Houston has already spoken to him and let him know that they've got a place for him if his English and French trials don't bear fruit.

Keep this in mind....some TFC supporters (not me) go all gaga over the MLS SuperDraft and the potential to pick some unproven NCAA prospects who haven't played a minute of pro soccer. But, when presented with a 22 year old Central Defender who has played over 5 years of pro soccer (between Montreal Impact and Czech league), some of us are skeptical about his abilities and whether he would be worth a roster spot? This is some freaky type of bizzaro logic that I'm unable to wrap my head around.

The only way i don't blame Mo for this is if Hainault made it clear he did not want to play in Toronto. If that's the case, fine.

Cambridge_Red
12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
/\ Agree.

Bobo
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Keep this in mind....some TFC supporters (not me) go all gaga over the MLS SuperDraft and the potential to pick some unproven NCAA prospects who haven't played a minute of pro soccer. But, when presented with a 22 year old Central Defender who has played over 5 years of pro soccer (between Montreal Impact and Czech league), some of us are skeptical about his abilities and whether he would be worth a roster spot? This is some freaky type of bizzaro logic that I'm unable to wrap my head around.

:cheers:

If Houston signs Hainault, its cause they want an upgrade for James LOL.

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-24-2008, 11:39 PM

I think you can make 10 claims and sign 6 of them.

James Oliphant
12-25-2008, 12:21 AM
I think you can make 10 claims and sign 6 of them.

Correctomundo.

By the way...who is Andre Hainault? Andrew's brother?

Jack
12-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Fuck you.

Sign for TFC or you suck!

Razcle
12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Correctomundo.

By the way...who is Andre Hainault? Andrew's brother?

By the way....This young chap you tart. Who do you think we are talking about? Maybe Andrew is his formal name, but I have not had a trusted source tell me that.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/_profile.asp?playerid=76&sub=3

VPjr
12-26-2008, 12:34 AM
By the way....This young chap you tart. Who do you think we are talking about? Maybe Andrew is his formal name, but I have not had a trusted source tell me that.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/_profile.asp?playerid=76&sub=3

I think James was being sarcastic....

James Oliphant
12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I think James was being sarcastic....

^^
Winner.

Razcle
12-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Sorry. I didn't detect sarcasm. I thought you were as clueless as the chap that wrote the article. My apologies.

Fort York Redcoat
12-29-2008, 08:48 AM
So Houston is going to be where TFC signs all the Canadian talent? Would've been nice to see him here first.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Maybe we should invite Houston to compete in the Canadian Championship.;)

SLBuu
12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Fuck you.

Sign for TFC or you suck!

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You made my day Jack!!!!!!

DigzTFC!
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Seems a little weird that Houston put a discovery tag on Hainault right after they dealt for a CB from TFC, doesn't it?

Could it be possible that TFC didn't put a discovery tag on him and were in negotiations and Houston slapped on a tag in order to receive compensation?
I mean, they did come up looking like they were robbed in the DeRo trade. For them to get a draft pick or more allocation only required them to tag a player. Pretty smart if true.