PDA

View Full Version : Is MLSE Price Gouging??

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Fieldside seats at Dicks Sporting Park in Colorado are only $1260 per seat for the WHOLE season!!!:eek::eek: I'm sorry but those same seats are almost 10X that here at BMO!!

Plus look at all the other stuff thats included with that price!! :cool:

http://www.coloradorapids.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=t8J0itUfSXs=

Do you guys think that MLSE is pricing us through the roof compared to other teams in MLS!? Sometimes i just think DAMN this just isn't right!!

GabrielHurl
12-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry, you have requested a story that does not exist.

linky no worky

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
short answer: yes.

long answer: yes, and then some!

GabrielHurl
12-23-2008, 11:06 AM
If you mean this - what exactly else do they get?

COMMERCE CITY, CO (Dec. 2, 2008)- The Colorado Rapids have announced that the club has just made available Fieldside seats at Dick's Sporting Goods Park for the 2009 season!

The Rapids' Fieldside Seats are located on the field level itself, directly behind the fieldboards on the East side of the stadium. Imagine what it feels like to be looking UP at the players on the field as the action takes place directly in front of you!

Fans who purchase Rapids Fieldside Seats get not only the chance to sit mere inches away from the players right down on the pitch level itself, but also access to "The Pitch Club", a private pre-game hospitality area offering complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks as well as their own exclusive cash bar! Fieldside seat holders have access to this area 1 hour prior to the match, during half-time, and up to 30 minutes after the game.

Rapids season-long Fieldside Seat holders get first right of refusal to purchase seats for concerts, international matches, and other events at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

Rapids season-long Fieldside Seat holders are also invited to attend Rapids Premium Seating team events, such as "Meet the Rapids Players" events and other invite-only activities during the year.

Fieldside seats are available now on a season-long basis for 2009 for the incredible rate of only $1,260 per seat, which includes front-row on the field seating for 18 home games next year.

Act now to get your exclusive Fieldside Seats today before they are no longer available! You never know what other VIP's you'll be sitting next to! Stop being a spectator, and be a part of the action! Purchase your fieldside seats today!

Free pop and peanuts??? Access to a bar they have to play for alcohol - amazing

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM

that's pretty much what the field-side seats get at BMO, but for WAY more money.

Damien
12-23-2008, 11:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mayor_of_Bolton

thanks for the info!

Damien
12-23-2008, 11:20 AM
thanks for the info!

Again...
http://www.huge.id.au/Images/Homer_on_Uruguay.gif

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Yeah same thing pretty much....check out the price diff! :(

maybe this link works..

http://www.coloradorapids.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=t8J0itUfSXs=

otherwise its pretty much what you found...

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

o/k....

so....

do think MLSE is price gouging?? Are you perfectly fine with the rate that they charge for those seats at BMO?? You or I will probably never be able to afford those seats as it stands right now...

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
You or I will probably never be able to afford those seats as it stands right now...

which works out because I would never want them. I sit in prawn seats, but they are amazing prawn seats (for the view of the game, not any access to some 'club' or free peanuts). Those 'sideline' seats are generally a shit view, bought by people who have more money than sense. I don't really have any sympathy for someone with a $10,000 bar table on the sidelines when that table would only cost $2000 in some boring midwest town.

shaggingscot
12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
o/k....

so....

do think MLSE is price gouging?? Are you perfectly fine with the rate that they charge for those seats at BMO?? You or I will probably never be able to afford those seats as it stands right now...

I'm quite happy in the south end so they can charge as much as they want for the prawn seating.

I'm constantly amazed at how everyone is amazed that MLSE tries to get as much money as they can out of consumers. You think EPL or Serie A teams don't so the same?

Damien
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
o/k....

so....

As far as entertainment value goes, I'm still relatively satisfied. Regardless of whether anyone thinks we're being gouged, i'm going to renew my seats. There are too many people waiting to take my seats from me. It's impossible to argue the price down so why squeeze blood from a stone.

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm constantly amazed at how everyone is amazed that MLSE tries to get as much money as they can out of consumers. You think EPL or Serie A teams don't so the same?

Bingo.......everyone knows they are out for a profit...not sure as to why it is a surprise to some......comparing us to other clubs makes no sense at all......If you want to make a compare things between the clubs....look at their financial statements. I am assuming that if you look at their books, they are not making the profits that TFC is making.....and of course their demand isn't the same, so they have to cater to that.....:)

sully
12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
[quote=TFCREDNWHITE;311714]Fieldside seats at Dicks Sporting Park in Colorado are only $1260 per seat for the WHOLE season!!!:eek::eek: I'm sorry but those same seats are almost 10X that here at BMO!!
quote]

So you're saying that it costs almost $12,600 for one of those seats at the tables beside the field at BMO. So for a table with 4 seats that's more than $50,000 for the season! No way...can't believe that..

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
So you're saying that it costs almost $12,600 for one of those seats at the tables beside the field at BMO. So for a table with 4 seats that's more than $50,000 for the season! No way...can't believe that..

no dude. the tables are $10,000. He's talking about the sideline seats (black ones) usually on the west side, to the north and south of the player benches. and his numbers are off. They aren't 10x that price.

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 11:39 AM

I think it is 10,000 for 4 seats.....so it is approximately a bit more than double the price of Colorado's seats

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:40 AM
[quote=TFCREDNWHITE;311714]Fieldside seats at Dicks Sporting Park in Colorado are only $1260 per seat for the WHOLE season!!!:eek::eek: I'm sorry but those same seats are almost 10X that here at BMO!!
quote]

Ummmm no, that would be between 10,000 - 15,000 per table at BMO. You HAVE to buy the table, not just one seat. anyways....semantics my friend....

rocker
12-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I've sat in section 123... it's worth it if you're relatively wealthy. I really liked sitting there and, in the private club, being able to stay away from the hooligans ;) It just makes your day that much more comfortable.

I wanted to get into those seats this year during relocation but none were available. More people left cheaper seats than the expensive ones. That suggests to me those seat owners don't consider it gouging.

Anyhow, comparisons to other MLS markets are funny, cuz Colorado could never get away with charging the prices BMO does because they'd get even smaller crowds than they get now.
I'm sure somebody in Colorado would say "HEY, KC's tickets are even cheaper than ours, we're being gouged."

sully
12-23-2008, 11:41 AM
OK so it's the table not the seat...yeah I heard 10 grand before...

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
What about a fine city like NYC...even though current and future stadiums are just outside of Manhattan...

even they only charge like $800 for 1st ROW.....Crazy i tell ya'

Red Bull New York also announced that there will be no increase in season ticket pricing from 2008. Plus, for 2009, the Red Bulls announced a new price category - Endline Bull's Eye seating -- of which there are only 56 available seats. For just $882 per seat, a fan can sit in the front row in the East End zone and enjoy all of the benefits of a Bull's Eye Membership. Pricing for Full Season Tickets for 2009 are as follows:
Seat Location
Price Per Seat
Bull's Eye Memberships Bull's Eye (North and South Touchlines) $1,088NEW*Endline Bull's Eye (East End zone)$882Red Bulls Memberships Midfield (Adult) $528Midfield (Youth) $352Sideline (Adult) $368 Sideline (Youth) $256 Corner Flag $272

werewolf
12-23-2008, 11:43 AM

For the most part, the quality on the field is equivalent to the price.

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 11:44 AM
What about a fine city like NYC...even though current and future stadiums are just outside of Manhattan...

even they only charge like $800 for 1st ROW.....Crazy i tell ya'

Red Bull New York also announced that there will be no increase in season ticket pricing from 2008. Plus, for 2009, the Red Bulls announced a new price category - Endline Bull's Eye seating -- of which there are only 56 available seats. For just $882 per seat, a fan can sit in the front row in the East End zone and enjoy all of the benefits of a Bull's Eye Membership. Pricing for Full Season Tickets for 2009 are as follows:
Seat Location
Price Per Seat
Bull's Eye Memberships Bull's Eye (North and South Touchlines) $1,088NEW*Endline Bull's Eye (East End zone)$882Red Bulls Memberships Midfield (Adult) $528Midfield (Youth) $352Sideline (Adult) $368 Sideline (Youth) $256 Corner Flag $272

Still.....different market....different demand.....I am sure if you want season tickets...all you have to do is ask.....good luck getting them here....

rocker
12-23-2008, 11:45 AM
$800 for front row seats at an 80000 seat stadium in New Jersey when attendance is 15000 and you have to stare at NFL lines? SIGN ME UP! ;) ;)

Seriously, BMO's experience is worth way more than that shitbox.

sully
so in the revenue sharing thingy that is MLS am I right to assume that we the fans of Toronto are paying a disproportionate amount of $s to pay other teams salaries....dam I hate single entity..

Parkdale
oh...

and if anyone really wanted to talk about MLSE price gouging..... TFC isn't the team they should be using as an example.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
How about a fine city like Chicago...Its also one of my favourite stadiums in the league too... You can score seasons tickets(15 GAMES) for only $99!!!!

Seating CategoryPrice per Package
(15 games)Terrace**$99
**Terrace section packages include 15 games and are general admission and only a limited number of packages are available

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
$800 for front row seats at an 80000 seat stadium in New Jersey when attendance is 15000 and you have to stare at NFL lines? SIGN ME UP! ;) ;)

Seriously, BMO's experience is worth way more than that shitbox.

Yeah, SAME price for there next season at REDBULL PARK, SSS, NO LINES!

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
oh...

and if anyone really wanted to talk about MLSE price gouging..... TFC isn't the team they should be using as an example.

haha......damn skippy.......don't even get me started on what they charge for the Leafs or Raptors...

For the seats I have, front row behind the net....I wouldn't want to know what I would have to pay for those tickets yearly for the Leafs or Raptors.....yikes!

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:48 AM
oh...

yeah i know...the leafs take the cake for that one....but i hate the leafs and love TFC.

rocker
12-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Red Bull Park won't have prices set til 2010. Season tickets for next year are in Giants Stadium, with a *chance* that some games will be played at the end at the new stadium. And if they sell out the new stadium, it won't be that cheap. Business 101.

Just as TFC tickets were much cheaper before season 1. Then demand hit, and they went up.

Supply and Demand.

Chicago doesn't sell out its stadium either. Would you prefer a stadium with cheaper tickets because they can't fill it?

GabrielHurl
12-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Where does it say that?

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:51 AM
The REVS charge $500 bucks for their BEST SEATS!! for the WHOLE SEASON!!

Oldtimer
12-23-2008, 11:51 AM
In order to pay for a Designated Player, I would much rather that MLSE charges the prawns a stiff price for their table than that they charge the real fans.

Since most prawn seating is corporate, the difference in price for prawn seating between Colorado and here probably represents the relative strengths of the local economies.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Red Bull Park won't have prices set til 2010.

And if they sell out the stadium, it won't be that cheap. Business 101.

Just as TFC tickets were much cheaper before season 1. Then demand hit, and they went up.

Supply and Demand.

Chicago doesn't sell out it's stadium either. Would you prefer a stadium with cheaper tickets because they can't fill it?

Read the earlier post, it specifically says NO INCREASE.

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Since most prawn seating is corporate, the difference in price for prawn seating between Colorado and here probably represents the relative strengths of the local economies.

exactly.

you'll get more expensive seating in a city like Toronto, Vancouver, New York, Chicago etc over somewhere like Columbus, Phoenix, Edmonton....

while we're at it...... let's complain that beer is more expensive at Downtown Toronto bars than it is in Barie or Sudbury.

GabrielHurl
12-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Read the earlier post, it specifically says NO INCREASE.

Red Bull New York also announced that there will be no increase in season ticket pricing from 2008.

It's no increase from the 2008 season. They are playing the 2009 Season in Giants Stadium as well

They move to Red Bull Park in 2010

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 11:56 AM
while we're at it...... let's complain that beer is more expensive at Downtown Toronto bars than it is in Barie or Sudbury.

I was just saying that last week as I downed a pint in North Bay...;)

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 12:00 PM
It's no increase from the 2008 season. They are playing the 2009 Season in Giants Stadium as well

They move to Red Bull Park in 2010

ooops thought i read 2010. anyways the price will still be "IN LINE"

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 12:02 PM
exactly.

you'll get more expensive seating in a city like Toronto, Vancouver, New York, Chicago etc over somewhere like Columbus, Phoenix, Edmonton....

how about the revs, they service the Boston area...Boston probably has an economic outlook comparable to ours...

Toronto Ruffrider
12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
how about the revs, they service the Boston area...Boston probably has an economic outlook comparable to ours...

The Revs draw flies compared to us, so once again supply and demand kicks in. Besides, The Revs play at Foxboro, which is not exactly the near-downtown equivalent of BMO Field. I doubt the the demand for prawn seats would be nearly as high if TFC played its home games in Ajax, for example.

Technorgasm
12-23-2008, 12:07 PM
SUPPLY - DEMAND

Pretty simple actually.

Feel free to put a cog into the great Machine that is MLSE anytime you want.
by Not renewing, or refusing to pay for season seats.

I am sure there are countless others that will not be faultered by your standards.

Americans know shit about Footy. their numbers and interest prove this to be true. Cheaper Beer prces would be greatly welcomed though.
Chicago 48oz Tub o beer. . $10

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 12:07 PM

The revs are in a massive NFL stadium (they probably don't fill 05% of the thing*) AND it's an hour drive away from Boston proper. It's not a valid comparison. Like some people have said, the supply far exceedes the demand for them

*edit: just looked it up.

Gilette stadium holds 68,756 people. The Revs averaged 17,580 people in 2008.

Supply >>>>> demand.

canadian_bhoy
12-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Why is this in the news section?

GabrielHurl
12-23-2008, 12:14 PM

it's off-season

Shway
12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
To be honest about those field-side seats, my uncle gave me field-side tickets to the game against FC Dallas (where the ref was stroking the whole FC Dallas organisation) and yea yea its nice that your on the ground looking up at everybody, yea its nice that there is a waiter for you who is on point when you finish your beer, yea its nice you get serve ect. BUT for watching the game aspect ...IT SUCKS!, i could barely see any of the game when it was on the side close to where I was, all i could see was "Cuntys" head lol, so in essence to all of this THOSE FIELD SEATS ARENT WORTH HOW MUCH THEY COST, unless you feel the need that you want to touch players

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Off season --- Exactly

Toronto Ruffrider
12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
The revs are in a massive NFL stadium (they probably don't fill 05% of the thing*) AND it's an hour drive away from Boston proper. It's not a valid comparison. Like some people have said, the supply far exceedes the demand for them

Supply >>>>> demand.

Even that figure is flattering. The Revs' average attendance is highly skewed by a double-header which featured Brazil v. Venezuela, followed by N.E. v. Dallas. The announced attendance for that MLS game was 54k. Taking out that one game, N.E.'s avg. attendance drops below 15k.

Of course, as bad as N.E.'s regular season attendance was, that same team drew just 5k spectators in their Round One home playoff leg. A crowd of 5k in a 69k-seat stadium more than illustrates the gap between supply and demand.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Supply >>>>> demand.

Yeah i get what you are trying to educate me on...

but are you also saying, aaahhhh the heck with it...Lets not have the foresight or vision to look 5-8 years down the road, and lets allow MLSE to increase ALL seats 50% and force the real fans out by squeezing the highest price they can get....Then what will you get??...You'll get the LEAFS!@! you will not get real fans going to the games, thats what i don't want to see happen... I mean by your account, i'm pretty sure they could get $1950 for your seat in 5-8 years....then you'll be squeezed out..:(

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I just grabbed my number of wikipedia. If it was inflated (which most MLS attendance figures are) then it wasn't trying to be misleading.

ilikemusic
12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Supply and demand is all well and good to a point.

Eventually people will get sick of the prices, theyll get sick of losing, theyll get sick of promising youngsters leaving the team.

MLSE is setting the table to the franchise's own failure.

The prices they are charging for the MLS product are completely insane and it will catch up to them.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Supply and demand is all well and good to a point.

Eventually people will get sick of the prices, theyll get sick of losing, theyll get sick of promising youngsters leaving the team.

MLSE is setting the table to the franchise's own failure.

The prices they are charging for the MLS product are completely insane and it will catch up to them.

Very good point....MLSE can't price themselves like the Premiership, which is what they are already doing!....It will catch up with them..

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 12:35 PM
and lets allow MLSE to increase ALL seats 50% and force the real fans out by squeezing the highest price they can get....Then what will you get??...You'll get the LEAFS!@!

nope. You'll get attendance figures of 3000-8000 people at a game, and then the whole thing would crumble. The leafs have history, and the Leafs Nation is a cult people can't easily leave.

TFC would be tying it's own noose if they priced people out of the stands.

I can see the south end seats going up to like $400 over the next few years, but even that is still a good value in the world of professional sports in a major market like Toronto

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
nope. You'll get attendance figures of 3000-8000 people at a game, and then the whole thing would crumble. The leafs have history, and the Leafs Nation is a cult people can't easily leave.

TFC would be tying it's own noose if they priced people out of the stands.

I can see the south end seats going up to like $400 over the next few years, but even that is still a good value in the world of professional sports in a major market like Toronto

rather naive to think that MLSE doesn't want it to go that way within 10 years....If you could envision one section going up in price, why not others????

AL-MO
12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
SUPPLY - DEMAND

Pretty simple actually.

Feel free to put a cog into the great Machine that is MLSE anytime you want.
by Not renewing, or refusing to pay for season seats.

I am sure there are countless others that will not be faultered by your standards.

Americans know shit about Footy. their numbers and interest prove this to be true. Cheaper Beer prces would be greatly welcomed though.
Chicago 48oz Tub o beer. . $10

Exactly. MLSE is a business, they are there to make money.

Why is there even a thread about this?

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Exactly. MLSE is a business, they are there to make money.

Why is there even a thread about this?

Because its off season, and MLSE has managed to be the highest priced ticket in the League and has prices that are officially in-line with Premiership pricing...

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
rather naive to think that MLSE doesn't want it to go that way within 10 years....If you could envision one section going up in price, why not others????

all sections will go up in price, but they know that if they out-price the supporters, then the whole thing will tank. They know that.

AL-MO
12-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Because its off season,

Thank you. You answered my question.

David_Oliveira
12-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah i get what you are trying to educate me on...

but are you also saying, aaahhhh the heck with it...Lets not have the foresight or vision to look 5-8 years down the road, and lets allow MLSE to increase ALL seats 50% and force the real fans out by squeezing the highest price they can get....Then what will you get??...You'll get the LEAFS!@! you will not get real fans going to the games, thats what i don't want to see happen... I mean by your account, i'm pretty sure they could get $1950 for your seat in 5-8 years....then you'll be squeezed out..:(

If they keep increasing then eventually the price will go down because people will not buy. If demand is down, then it shifts the price point down.

MLSE doesn't get as much credit as they deserve. They are supplying a product at a rate that people will keep coming back. I really don't understand why people get upset with price increases. The increases have NOTHING to do with on the field. It is absolutely all Supply and Demand. Don't blame them because they have a product that people want.

Put yourself in their shoes. You have a product that everyone wants. would you charge $5 bucks because it's what people say is "fair" or would you charge $6 or $7 bucks and get more money? you always charge as much as possible.

Good on MLSE from a business aspect. They are bastards for doing it but hey its pure business.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 01:11 PM
If they keep increasing then eventually the price will go down because people will not buy. If demand is down, then it shifts the price point down.

MLSE doesn't get as much credit as they deserve. They are supplying a product at a rate that people will keep coming back. I really don't understand why people get upset with price increases. The increases have NOTHING to do with on the field. It is absolutely all Supply and Demand. Don't blame them because they have a product that people want.

Put yourself in their shoes. You have a product that everyone wants. would you charge $5 bucks because it's what people say is "fair" or would you charge $6 or $7 bucks and get more money? you always charge as much as possible.

Good on MLSE from a business aspect. They are bastards for doing it but hey its pure business.

You're being short sighted....If they keep playing that game...i'll just say *$%& it and stick with my Premiership/UEFA Champions league or La Liga where the skill is the best in the world...

I just don't like the fact that MLSE is priced exactly the same(pretty much) with Premiership teams...I got to watch West Ham against Fulham at Upton Park for cheaper than an equivilant TFC match..

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I got to watch West Ham against Fulham at Upton Park for cheaper than an equivilant TFC match..

when have we ever had a match that was even close to that?

Oldtimer
12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
when have we ever had a match that was even close to that?

equivalent= 22 players, referee, linesmen.

David_Oliveira
12-23-2008, 01:28 PM
You're being short sighted....If they keep playing that game...i'll just say *$%& it and stick with my Premiership/UEFA Champions league or La Liga where the skill is the best in the world...

I just don't like the fact that MLSE is priced exactly the same(pretty much) with Premiership teams...I got to watch West Ham against Fulham at Upton Park for cheaper than an equivilant TFC match..

You alone saying fuck it will mean nothing. Until many people, enough to bring demand down significantly, do it, prices will keep increasing or stay the same. Also, look up the definition of price gauging. Accusing someone when you really don't know what you are accusing them of is quite narrowminded no? ;)

Toronto Ruffrider
12-23-2008, 01:29 PM
I just grabbed my number of wikipedia. If it was inflated (which most MLS attendance figures are) then it wasn't trying to be misleading.

Think nothing of it. I try not to nitpick; it's just that some teams legitimately sell their tickets (i.e. TFC) while others have to fudge their numbers in order to not look bad (Revs, Crew). I don't want any teams to get credit for finding creative ways to give away their tickets.;)

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 01:39 PM
and then there's Chivas. What do they get a game? 4000 people?

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Parky, i'm just trying to look down the road...we already have examples where it is quite evident that real fans get priced out...All i'm trying to do is stand up for the common fan and supporter...Higher prices don't just have to be swallowed...

WE CAN and DO HAVE A VOICE! :canada:

As players' wages and ticket prices soar, is the average fan being priced out of the national/International game?! and thats not fair...

Toronto Ruffrider
12-23-2008, 01:45 PM

They reportedly sold less than a thousand season seats last season, if that's any indication.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
if this doesn't scare you, than i'm sorry....

Until recently, English football has always been regarded as the domain of the working classes. But with Deloitte’s recent report into the finances of football predicting that Premiership footballers' wages will exceed £1billion in 2007-8 and that revenue for Premiership clubs will increase to an average of £69 million, is the real football fan being priced out of the market?
Football supporters are the lifeblood of clubs. A breakdown of Manchester United’s revenue for 2005, showed that match-day takings accounted for 41 per cent of their annual turnover, with 27 per cent coming from sponsorship and marketing and the remainder from media sources, such as television. This highlights that even a club such as United is heavily dependent on income generated from supporters to maintain its success.

Clubs have been very aware of this, and over recent years loyal supporters' contributions to their team’s revenue have increased dramatically, with fans being asked to pay over-inflated ticket and merchandise prices. Since 1990 the average football-ticket price has risen by 600 per cent, while, according to the Office for National Statistics, consumer prices in general rose around 80 per cent for the same period. Premiership clubs argue that these prices are value for money compared with other forms of entertainment, but with the £200,000 per week Premiership footballer about to become a reality, are clubs spending beyond their means to remain in the top flight?

The financial rewards on offer to clubs competing in the Premiership are substantial. The Premiership has brokered a new TV deal worth £625m, with the club finishing bottom of the league, next season, guaranteed at least £30m. The recent Championship play-off final was reportedly worth £60m to the eventual winners, Derby County. With the gap between the average Premier League and Championship clubs' revenue likely to rise to £70m in 2007-8, the consequences of relegation from the top flight could be disastrous for some clubs...etc

continued here:

http://www.sportingo.com/football/a3604_how-premiership-big-boys-can

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 01:49 PM
As players' wages and ticket prices soar, is the average fan being priced out of the national/International game?! and thats not fair...

wait a second..... players' wages are soaring?
:smilielol5::smilielol5:
so that's why I made more money last year that Marvell Wynne?

yes, I'm playing devil's advocate to your argument here, as I DO NOT want average fans to get priced out of BMO, but right now, we're still the best deal in town, and I can't see that changing soon.

Oldtimer
12-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I love how when we talk about the team it's "TFC" but when it's about price-gouging, it's "MLSE." TFC is the soccer division of MLSE. MLSE paid big bucks so that we can watch real football in Toronto. It used to confuse Paul B. no end, this disconnect, eventually it looked like he just gave up trying to understand.

Anyone a Raptors fan? Do they have the same disconnect on their boards?

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Anyone a Raptors fan? Do they have the same disconnect on their boards?

they are too busy worrying about things like..... the coach being fired less than a month ago, having a huge slump, Bosh under performing etc etc....

you know. real 'in the season' sports stuff.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 02:17 PM

yes, I'm playing devil's advocate to your argument here, as I DO NOT want average fans to get priced out of BMO, but right now, we're still the best deal in town, and I can't see that changing soon.

Devils Advocate --- Yup i hear ya', its easy to do...

Players wages soaring --- Not across the board yet, but it will happen at some point won't it?. DP slots alone account for soaring salaries don't they??

Ticket prices increasing --- well we've already seen that happening...so their is no reason why it won't continue...

AL-MO
12-23-2008, 02:21 PM
The sky is not falling TFCR&W....not yet at least.

And Paul B and co. are smart enough to realize that this isn't the Leafs and likely won't price 'supporters' out...The club would not be the same without us.

Although the price has gone up my seats are still pretty reasonable.

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Players wages soaring

Ticket prices increasing

personally, I think higher wages for players will mean a better product on the field. I'm fine with that.

Tickets will always go up, but if they go up RELATIVE to the product going up (which didn't happen this year) then it's jsut a fact of life.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 02:27 PM
The sky is not falling TFCR&W....not yet at least.

And Paul B and co. are smart enough to realize that this isn't the Leafs and likely won't price 'supporters' out...The club would not be the same without us.

Although the price has gone up my seats are still pretty reasonable.

True. I really hope you continue to be right.

I'm worried though. I look ahead and i become really really worried....

I think we all work hard for our money, it started as the "domain of the working class" and i just don't want MLSE to drop us by the wayside!

:drinking:

Cashcleaner
12-23-2008, 03:12 PM
At the moment, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I paid around $350 for season tickets this season and I think it's fair value for what I get.

However...

There is a distinct trend going on where prices are steadily increasing. I have no problems with capitalism and the issue of supply and demand, but I'm a soccer fan first and foremost - not an economist. Its selfish of me to say so, but I want to watch the best soccer possible at the cheapest price. So far we've had a balance of sorts between those two, but I can't say for sure how long that could last.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-23-2008, 03:19 PM
At the moment, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I paid around $350 for season tickets this season and I think it's fair value for what I get.

However...

There is a distinct trend going on where prices are steadily increasing. I have no problems with capitalism and the issue of supply and demand, but I'm a soccer fan first and foremost - not an economist. Its selfish of me to say so, but I want to watch the best soccer possible at the cheapest price. So far we've had a balance of sorts between those two, but I can't say for sure how long that could last.

Excellent Point! That's exactly how i feel.

Parkdale
12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Its selfish of me to say so, but I want to watch the best soccer possible at the cheapest price. So far we've had a balance of sorts between those two...

ahh.

that's the whole thing right there. What you consider the 'best' soccer and what I consider to be the 'best' is a different thing. Watching a great concert from the nosebleed seats isn't as good as watching it from the front of the crowd. When someone says 'the best possible soccer' they are usually talking about the on field product, but when they say 'the best possible seats', things like sightlines and line-ups and facilities come into play.

I still think that there are great seats at BMO, where you can watch decent soccer at a fair price. The sideline seats mentioned in the first post of this thread are NOT good seats in my opinion, as you get an obstructed view. Then when you factor in the price.... it's not a fair deal.

As long as I feel that me seats are a fair deal then I'll continue to renew.

Oldtimer
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
ahh.

I still think that there are great seats at BMO, where you can watch decent soccer at a fair price. The sideline seats mentioned in the first post of this thread are NOT good seats in my opinion, as you get an obstructed view. Then when you factor in the price.... it's not a fair deal.

For corporate seats, the sideline seats are a fair deal. You get a table to place your working documents and Blackberries on, the hight of each table is excellent for signing contracts. As far as the view, who cares? Those people aren't there for the game primarily. It's the prestige of having the "best seats" and a good surface for signing deals.

Pookie
12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Don't forget that their prices are in US $ and we pay out salaries in US $.

That $1,200 ticket works out to just over $1,500 in today's rates. So, we are talking about a difference of $400-500 per seat or about $26/game (based on 19 games).

Of course, that difference will get bigger or smaller depending on where the dollar goes.

Maybe that is a little excessive but if you turn your head at the right moment, you might be able to catch a free beer from some noodle arm at BMO.

Catch two of them and you've made up the difference right there.

TheRenter
12-23-2008, 05:17 PM
:deadhorse:get over it already...we all know about ml$e...if you don't like it, don't give them your money and don't go :shocked:

tfc
12-23-2008, 06:17 PM
... Its not price gouging, they price seats according to demand. every owner does. all this tells you is that more people want to go to a tfc game, and are thus willing to spend more, than in say ny - or any other shitty city.

its basic economics, if people stopped coming to tfc games, the price would be much much lower.

FluSH
12-23-2008, 06:43 PM
You alone saying fuck it will mean nothing. Until many people, enough to bring demand down significantly, do it, prices will keep increasing or stay the same. Also, look up the definition of price gauging. Accusing someone when you really don't know what you are accusing them of is quite narrowminded no? ;)

Nice...

I'm proud to say Mr. Kona slayer is part of the Finance team :D

Cashcleaner
12-24-2008, 03:24 AM
ahh.

that's the whole thing right there. What you consider the 'best' soccer and what I consider to be the 'best' is a different thing. Watching a great concert from the nosebleed seats isn't as good as watching it from the front of the crowd. When someone says 'the best possible soccer' they are usually talking about the on field product, but when they say 'the best possible seats', things like sightlines and line-ups and facilities come into play.

As long as I feel that me seats are a fair deal then I'll continue to renew.

That's what I mean, its all a question of value. TFC may not be playing soccer at the level of the top fur EPL clubs, but on the flip side, we're not paying those prices to watch games either. Go to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge and see if you can get a seat for 10 quid (about $20 CDN). The point is that you can't, though you could catch a lower tier match for that sorta coin.

My issue is that we may eventually be asked to pay EPL prices to watch soccer at a Div. 1 or Div 2 level of quality. What happens then?

pubboy
12-24-2008, 05:33 AM
:deadhorse:get over it already...we all know about ml$e...if you don't like it, don't give them your money and don't go :shocked:

AT LAST - couldnt agree more. The prices are the prices. Get over it. If you dont like them, protest by not buying your season ticket.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
That's what I mean, its all a question of value. TFC may not be playing soccer at the level of the top fur EPL clubs, but on the flip side, we're not paying those prices to watch games either. Go to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge and see if you can get a seat for 10 quid (about $20 CDN). The point is that you can't, though you could catch a lower tier match for that sorta coin.

My issue is that we may eventually be asked to pay EPL prices to watch soccer at a Div. 1 or Div 2 level of quality. What happens then?

we kind of...i stress kind of pay EPL prices already. Depending on where you sit, and comparing the NON member BMO Box office price, it seems to be comparable in some cases...

The prices indicated show the highest and lowest for each category. For example, the lowest price for a category A ticket at Arsenal (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/arsenal) is £46, while the highest is £94.

Arsenal (http://www.arsenal.com/membership/article.asp?article=338115&title=Tickets): £94/£46 (A), £66/£32 (B)
Aston Villa (http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ComingUp/0,,10265,00.html): £35/£20 (A), £33/£19 (B), £31/£15 (W)
Birmingham City (http://www.blues.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HomeGames/0,,10412,00.html): £48/£35 (AA), £15/£15 (C)
Blackburn Rovers (http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/MatchdayPrices/0,,10303,00.html): £35/£25 (A), £20/£15 (B)
Bolton Wanderers (http://www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/MatchdayPricesIndex/0,,1004,00.html): £39/£31 (A+), £36/£28 (A), £32/£24 (B), £29/£21 (C)
Chelsea (http://chelsea2.chelseafc.com/popups/ticket_prices.htm): £53/£48 (Premier League), £36/£35 (Champions League), £25/£25 (FA Cup), £20/£20 (League Cup).
Derby County (http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/PrideParkPrices/0,,10270,00.html): £44/£33 (AA), £42/£31 (A&B), £40/£29 (C&D)
Everton (https://www.tickets.evertonfc.com/tickets/default.aspx): £34/£28 (versus Middlesbrough (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/middlesbrough), 9/30/07)
Fulham (http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/MatchTicketPrices/MatchTicketPrices.aspx): £50/£35 (A), £45/£30 (B), £38/£25 (C)
Liverpool (http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/tickets/a_howtoapply.shtml#10): £36/£34 (A), £34/£32 (B)
Manchester City (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid=%7BC85542AA-6E22-4BA9-BA5D-5407A4450753%7D): £34/£28 (A), £30/£25 (B), £26/£21 (C)
Manchester United (http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7B932F65DC-9AE7-433B-A16F-F827B5F1D40D%7D): £44/£12.50
Middlesbrough (https://eticketing.co.uk/middlesbroughfc/tickethub.aspx): £32/£24 (versus Chelsea (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/chelsea), 10/20/07)
Newcastle United (http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/2e/54/0,,10278~87086,00.xls): £45/26 (A), £40/23 (B), £36/20 (C)
Portsmouth (http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/?cms_ref=home): £41/£34
Reading (http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HomeGames/0,,10306,00.html): £41/£39 (platinum), £38/£36 (gold), £34/£32 (silver)
Sunderland (http://www.safc.com/tickets/?page_id=12682): £30/£25 (A), £25/£20 (B)
Tottenham Hotspur (http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tickets/ticketinfo_prices.html): £71/£39 (A), £52/£32 (B), £42/£27 (C)
West Ham United (http://www.whufc.com/tickets/?page_id=9203): £61/£43 (A), £49/£34 (B)
Wigan Athletic (https://eticketing.co.uk/wiganathletic/tickethub.aspx): ?/? (A), ?/? (B), £15/£15 (C)

Easiest ticket price structures to understand: Manchester United (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/manchester-united) and Portsmouth (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/portsmouth) (no categories, just one set price depending on the area of the ground where your seats are).

Fairest ticket pricing structure (fairest not cheapest): Chelsea (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/chelsea) for breaking down ticket prices for the different types of competitions: Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup.

Most complicated ticket price structure: Bolton (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/bolton-wanderers) with four different price structures. Chelsea (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/chelsea) has four, too, but theirs is easier to understand. For Bolton (http://www.epltalk.com/category/premier-league/bolton-wanderers), you’d have to cross-reference the fixtures to find out which ones are considered AA, A, B and C.

more here:

http://www.epltalk.com/0708-ticket-prices-for-premier-league-clubs/1019

Batman
12-24-2008, 09:05 AM
If someone is crazy enough to pay 12 grand for a seat that is 20 feet closer than my $300 one why shouldn't MLSE happily take their money.

I can't criticize MLSE for that. In fact, if they can jam a few more souls in at 12 grand maybe they can lower the price of beer for the rest of us.

Pookie
12-24-2008, 10:59 AM
I'll got back to an earlier point, don't forget that our biggest expense... salaries... are paid out in US $.

For every dollar a US team takes in, we bring in about $0.80.

Naturally, our prices will be a little higher, in part, to account for the exchange rate risk.

J .
12-25-2008, 09:33 PM
hell fucking yah they are. They will price the regular guy out of it and turn it into another Morgue on Bay, this time by the Lake.

Rudi
12-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Wynne made about $150,000 US last year.

Just what kind of coin are you pulling in, Parky?

nobodybeatsthewiz
12-25-2008, 10:06 PM
maybe he was referring to the $47500?