PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday, Dec.23

denime
12-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Although Canada didn't fare well in 2008 on the pitch, Ali Gerba and Christine Sinclair are deserving of being this country's players of the year
By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)

Canadian soccer did not have a banner year in 2008.
The potential was there for big things from the men's and women's programs, but the results did not happen.
For the men, things started well early in the year with a highly competitive match against Brazil, only to underachieve in World Cup qualifying, leaving Canada at 90th in FIFA's latest rankings -- down 35 spots from a year ago.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/12/22/7824236-sun.html)

New Year’s speculation
Gerry Dobson

There has been so much rumour and speculation flying around this MLS off-season that it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff, to use an old farming phrase I grew up with.

For example, just when I thought I had the expansion thing all sorted out, in comes Barcelona to South Florida with all their money, out goes Montreal with apparently not enough money, and in comes Ottawa with both barrels loaded. ...

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/22/dobson_blog_speculation/)

Reds duo star on stage

Brennan and Ricketts in The Nutcracker

Toronto FC captain Jim Brennan and winger Rohan Ricketts got into the holiday spirit when they swapped the pitch for the stage and put on ballet slippers! The Reds duo made their National Ballet of Canada debut on Friday night. ...

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081222&content_id=209741&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

CSA defends travel arrangements
The Canadian Press

Prior to their failed World Cup qualifying campaign, Canadian players talked of the need for change within the Canadian Soccer Association.
While there were larger complaints, mostly of the need for better funding, some pointed the finger at the team's travel and training arrangements.
"Little details do make a difference," midfielder Julian de Guzman said in September 2007. ...

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081222.wsptcsa22/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

flatpicker
12-23-2008, 07:42 AM
New Year’s speculation
Gerry Dobson

There's no way they'll pay any Canadian but DeGuzman DP money. Not a chance. So it has to be a foreign player, which means any one of several hundred. Or perhaps not one at all.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/22/dobson_blog_speculation/)

sounds fine with me.
I would much rather we had a DP who does not play for his national team.
And if no DP? Fine with me also...
I'm sure we could use that under-the-cap-DP-money and put it towards two quality players (striker and defender)

BuSaPuNk
12-23-2008, 07:48 AM
^ Completely agree. DP, no DP it's all good with me. As long as the money is spent wisely and we get like you said a good striker and defender.

TFC_Junky
12-23-2008, 08:09 AM
^ yup. Spending the under-the-cap $$$ on a decent striker and CB would be a better way to spend the cash rather that a DP striker and a hole in our d.

BuSaPuNk
12-23-2008, 08:18 AM
^ I'm more worried about getting a soild CB instead of a DP striker. If we could get both that would be the best christmas present of all time. But i digress. It's likely that we will only get one of the two. Even if we can get a alright striker or a decent one....as we all seen at the end of the season we have no problem scoring, we have a problem defending a lead. Blown leads with less than 10 mins left was and still is our problem. Quality CB first...then we can start the DP talk.

Bdking2
12-23-2008, 08:42 AM
^ ....as we all seen at the end of the season we have no problem scoring, we have a problem defending a lead. Blown leads with less than 10 mins left was and still is our problem. Quality CB first...then we can start the DP talk.

I agree with this completely.

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 09:37 AM
CSA defends travel arrangements
The Canadian Press

Prior to their failed World Cup qualifying campaign, Canadian players talked of the need for change within the Canadian Soccer Association.
While there were larger complaints, mostly of the need for better funding, some pointed the finger at the team's travel and training arrangements.
"Little details do make a difference," midfielder Julian de Guzman said in September 2007. ...

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081222.wsptcsa22/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

At least the CSA did ssomething right.....hopefully this is the first step to more changes......

invictusTFC
12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
If they do go out and get a DP, it has to be someone who still has some gas left in the tank. TFC can't go and make the same mistake FCD made with Denilson and KC made with Claudio Lopez. The DP has to be able to contribute and help take the team to the next level. I would rather not sign a DP then bring in a player in the twighlight of his career hoping to rake in one last big pay day while he he still has a "name".
It is sad to say, but as far as Canadians go JDG is the only player worth DP money. Its good to see that MLSE at least made the effort to pursue him. If a DP is signed, it will have to be a foreign player.

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I agree JDG is probably the only Candian player worth big DP money, but I would throw money at Rob Friend....he is not going to leave Germany, but he is a proven scorer a big body and solid and still young.....I think he would be worth some coin....

invictusTFC
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I haven't seen much of Friend, because I really don't follow German Football all that much. However, from what I've seen of the CMNT, he doesn't impress me that much. He doesn't seem that mobile out there and he isn't a pure goal poacher either.

ensco
12-23-2008, 10:27 AM
If Julian thinks the travel arrangements had flaws, and Stalts doesn't, I wouldn't reflexively side with Stalteri. Julian doesn't strike me as a prima donna.

Ultimately, there's just not enough information in the story to really have an opinion.

CoachGT
12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
The travel arrangements may be a holdover from 2007. But I wouldn't put much stock in the CSA's claims about costs. I suspect that we played many more games in 2008 than in 2007, and that a big chunk of the 2007 cost went into the away friendly in South Africa. Just spewing out numbers without any context is meaningless.

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
The travel arrangements may be a holdover from 2007. But I wouldn't put much stock in the CSA's claims about costs. I suspect that we played many more games in 2008 than in 2007, and that a big chunk of the 2007 cost went into the away friendly in South Africa. Just spewing out numbers without any context is meaningless.

Can't you let a man have hope....:D I just want to "think" that the CSA is doing something right......

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I haven't seen much of Friend, because I really don't follow German Football all that much. However, from what I've seen of the CMNT, he doesn't impress me that much. He doesn't seem that mobile out there and he isn't a pure goal poacher either.

21 goals in 31 appearances for Borussia doesn't sound too shabby to me......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Friend

Chevy
12-23-2008, 11:06 AM
If they do go out and get a DP, it has to be someone who still has some gas left in the tank. TFC can't go and make the same mistake FCD made with Denilson and KC made with Claudio Lopez. The DP has to be able to contribute and help take the team to the next level. I would rather not sign a DP then bring in a player in the twighlight of his career hoping to rake in one last big pay day while he he still has a "name".
It is sad to say, but as far as Canadians go JDG is the only player worth DP money. Its good to see that MLSE at least made the effort to pursue him. If a DP is signed, it will have to be a foreign player.

^QFT - Think Laurent Robert at 5x the salary.

invictusTFC
12-23-2008, 11:21 AM
21 goals in 31 appearances for Borussia doesn't sound too shabby to me......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Friend

2 goals in 22 appearances for the CMNT isn't something to write home about. Most of those goals that he scored for Borussia M'gladbach was last season while they were in the Bundasliga 2. This season he is averaging 1 goal every 3.5 matches.

Ageroo
12-23-2008, 11:31 AM
very true indeed....not trying to build him up into a monster....but worth a look for his age an domestic status....from what I have seen of the 4 times I have seen him live for the CMNT, I liked what I have seen.......lack of production at the National level recently in my opinion is more due to the system in place. He is not suited as a long striker. He is fairly good with his feet and a good target man, but better suited for a partnership....and with the middlefield in place here I think he could rip MLS defences to shreds....but just my opinion.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
very true indeed....not trying to build him up into a monster....but worth a look for his age an domestic status....from what I have seen of the 4 times I have seen him live for the CMNT, I liked what I have seen.......lack of production at the National level recently in my opinion is more due to the system in place. He is not suited as a long striker. He is fairly good with his feet and a good target man, but better suited for a partnership....and with the middlefield in place here I think he could rip MLS defences to shreds....but just my opinion.

That's a good assessment. Friend underachieves with Canada, but it's hard for anyone to pot goals when they're all alone upfront. Without a proper attacking link, Friend's efforts simply get wasted.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-23-2008, 11:58 AM
If Julian thinks the travel arrangements had flaws, and Stalts doesn't, I wouldn't reflexively side with Stalteri. Julian doesn't strike me as a prima donna.

Ultimately, there's just not enough information in the story to really have an opinion.

Speaking of lack of information, Neil Davidson should have included an account of the revenue made by the CSA during WCQ, not just the expenses. The Jamaica qualifier cost $376,000 to host, but we all know that game sold out. How much money did the CSA really lose for that game, if any?

Sonny Cheeba
12-23-2008, 01:10 PM
beauty sunshine gyal today....

Technorgasm
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
GERBA in TFC Red.

rocker
12-23-2008, 01:56 PM
haven't seen this mentioned.... sport canada released details of national athlete funding and some TFC players were on the list.. *****not sure if this is from last year or for next year.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/sc/pgm/paa-eng.cfm

Nana gets $14,400, which added to his $12,900 TFC salary meant he made/makes $27300 pretty much tax free .
Derek Gaudet and Gabe Gala got the same funding and had the same TFC DEV salary.

I wonder if Nana will jump up to a senior spot this year now that MLS gave teams 2 extra ones. Or maybe he will stay on DEV so he can continue at York (if they ever come back from the strike!!)

bangersandmash
12-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Sinclair should be player of the year. She's class. She's consistent. She's inspiring to watch. She embodies what an athlete should be. She plays for the women's team, so she isn't playing for money. To me it looks like she's playing out of a passion for the game. She always bring her top game and she plays to win. I regret that TFC cannot sign her.