PDA

View Full Version : Train Like a Pro with Rohan Ricketts

Roogsy
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi guys, just thought if any of you have kids that are playing soccer and would be interested in a clinic Rohan Ricketts will be doing in the offseason to raise money for the Sick Kids hospital, I thought I would post this up for you guys to consider. Lord knows it's difficult to give kids a good workout in during the winter season and the money is going to a good cause.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/JDeG/rohan_clinic_final_Page_1.png
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/JDeG/rohan_clinic_final_Page_2.png
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/JDeG/rohan_clinic_final_Page_3.png

* This has been approved to be posted *

Steve
12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
My only question is this: "A portion of the proceeds goes to Sick Kids Hospital".

Now, does this mean a portion of the profit, or a portion of the revenue? What I mean is, is that just his way of saying after costs (rental, tee-shirt production, pictures, etc) the remaining money will go to the Sick Kids hospital, or after costs, a part of it will (the rest going to Ricketts himself)? Personally, I don't care either way (I think people have the right to use their fame for personal gain) I just want it to be clear so those paying the money know where it's going. I just don't like it when companies throw in "a portion of the proceeds" when they mean "a penny out of every $100 spend will be donated", it makes people think they're giving to charity when they really aren't.

Ageroo
12-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Where is the adult session....I need to work on my game!

Roogsy
12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
My only question is this: "A portion of the proceeds goes to Sick Kids Hospital".

Now, does this mean a portion of the profit, or a portion of the revenue? What I mean is, is that just his way of saying after costs (rental, tee-shirt production, pictures, etc) the remaining money will go to the Sick Kids hospital, or after costs, a part of it will (the rest going to Ricketts himself)? Personally, I don't care either way (I think people have the right to use their fame for personal gain) I just want it to be clear so those paying the money know where it's going. I just don't like it when companies throw in "a portion of the proceeds" when they mean "a penny out of every $100 spend will be donated", it makes people think they're giving to charity when they really aren't.

Dunno dude...you'd need to speak to his management about that. I am just helping on the corporate sponsorship side of this.

But my guess is that they have to cover the event costs first. That's the part I hope to help with my corporate partners.

Either way, I know he doesn't do these sort of things for money. He's been to a ton of charity events for free just this month alone. I know because I've been there. He shows up wherever he is asked, no questions.

Daveisonfire
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM

It does say that the goal is to raise $10,000 for Sick Kids Hospital

zeelaw
12-22-2008, 10:45 AM
lol whats the MLC regular season?

FluSH
12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Is this only for kids? I want to Train like a pro... haha

Roogsy
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM

Right now he is working with kids...but I am sure as they do this, if they get any interest from adults, maybe they will put something together for us fatasses.

Ageroo
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM

yes...I remember your throw in from the tournament.....it needs work! :D

Beach_Red
12-22-2008, 11:45 AM
So, again, to be clear I'M NOT CRITICIZING HIM, I'M JUST ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION. Thank you.

It's tough. We really have to take it on faith. Chances are Ricketts has no control over what "expenses" get charged before there are even any profits to talk about it. I've worked on fundraising stuff where people ask that their expenses be covered and other times when people pay their own way so it actually costs them. Usually the "celebrity" is expected to not make any money but the places that rent the tables and chairs, or the banquet room, or whatever often charge their usual rate (not always). It gets complicated and can be very touchy over what's charity and what's profit.

I'm going to sign my kids up for this.

Eastend
12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Where is the adult session....I need to work on my game!

I was looking for that also. Big Bruva is an Eastender so maybe we can get a team discount at our next kick about????

Oldtimer
12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Since this is obviously the draft of the pamphlet, maybe Roogsy you can get back to RR so that it can be clarified.

Canadian Blue
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I wonder if Rohan will be able to keep up with the kids or if he will have to get subbed out by a secondary coach midway through due to being so knackered?

andyc
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I think that it's a great idea and I'm really tempted to sign up my son.

My only worry is that the sessions are scheduled for Wednesday - Friday in late January. I'm not sure how many kids will be allowed to skip school and parents able to take the time off at this point...

rocker
12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/images/2008/12/22/2LSYFhOM.jpg
can I sign up for Ricketts' lessons on this?

canadian_bhoy
12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/images/2008/12/22/ODoqpFHg.jpg

Edit: LOL we posted this at the same time!

jazz_trumpet
12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Happy Birthday Rohan!

Corpand
12-22-2008, 01:29 PM
MLC, great.

I guess Ricko is staying with TFC after all then.

Roogsy
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
The "MLC" issue is being fixed. LOL!

As for the figures of the event, I am not getting into that. That is between anyone who decides they want to participate and the organizers. You are free to ask them. I am merely making this event known so let's move on from that point please.

Since you are not donating to a charity but in fact receiving benefits, this is not something that can be written off in your taxes, hence the issue should be whether you want to benefit from it or not.

Rohan has indicated his goal for the event. If we want to help him reach it, we can participate. If you choose to do it another way, the most direct and most effecient way to do it is to obviously donate directly to the hospital no?

BuSaPuNk
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I wonder if we could set up a Supporters only lesson?? That would be great!!!

Roogsy
12-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Kind of along the lines of what Flush had mentioned, I don't see why his peeps can't take a look at that idea? I will let them know...I know I certainily would sign up for a couple of hours. Even if I will look stupid since I am about 50lbs over my playing weight.

BuSaPuNk
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Don't worry you wouldn't be the only one that looks stupid!! I would look like a running donut out there.....lol...

JDG
12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Bump!

Big Bruva
12-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Andy your smart for noticing this but it has been thought about prior to selecting these dates. The selected dates of Jan 28th, 29th & 30th (Mississauga, Vaughn & Toronto) represent dates that the areas have P.A days, so the kids will be off.

I think that it's a great idea and I'm really tempted to sign up my son.

My only worry is that the sessions are scheduled for Wednesday - Friday in late January. I'm not sure how many kids will be allowed to skip school and parents able to take the time off at this point...

Big Bruva
12-23-2008, 11:54 PM
I was looking for that also. Big Bruva is an Eastender so maybe we can get a team discount at our next kick about????

Eastend discount lolol

I think it would be good to have one or two adults sessions too, not saying its gonna happen but just my opinion.

Think it allows adults and especially the loyal fans to get up and close to the players they support and get a little idea of what the players go through on a day to day basis.

andyc
12-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Andy your smart for noticing this but it has been thought about prior to selecting these dates. The selected dates of Jan 28th, 29th & 30th (Mississauga, Vaughn & Toronto) represent dates that the areas have P.A days, so the kids will be off.

I just checked my kids calendar (Toronto) and he doesn't have a PA day in January. His calendar may be wrong but maybe you guys should double check.

I really hope I'm wrong cos my kid would have a blast...

Edit
I just looked at the TDSB site and it looks like it's an optional PA day for some schools...

Professional Activity (Semestered Secondary Schools only): January 29, 2009 (Optional*)

FluSH
12-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Eastend discount lolol

I think it would be good to have one or two adults sessions too, not saying its gonna happen but just my opinion.

Think it allows adults and especially the loyal fans to get up and close to the players they support and get a little idea of what the players go through on a day to day basis.

and this has to be followed with... "party like a Pro..."

Roogsy
01-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Rohan's website is up. Check it out.

http://www.rohanricketts.com/