PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday, Dec.21

denime
12-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Tinfoil toques
By Ryan Johnston

It is time to take off the tinfoil hat. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin-foil_hat)

I admit when my colleague Gerry Dobson pulled up a chair last Tuesday and asked if I felt the silence surrounding Dwayne De Rosario was odd considering the circumstances I thought he might be on to something. In truth, I thought about it most of the afternoon and into the evening. De Rosario coming home to play for Toronto FC is the biggest player-related news in Canadian soccer since Owen Hargreaves cancelled a press conference (http://www.owenhargreaves.de/fileadmin/Dateien/owen_hargreaves/pdf/text6.pdf) and disappeared to Germany.

So why was TFC playing it so cool?

On Wednesday I sent Dobson an email outlining how I thought what we discussed 24 hours earlier might have legs and a few phone calls should be made. ...

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/20/johnston_derosario/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

ensco
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Wish I understood what the heck Ryan was saying there

Beach_Red
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Carver pointed out how the media would be on a need-to-know basis in 2009. Meaning, we don't need to know. It drives us crazy; and quite often when we don't know, we speculate.

That's pretty much what he's saying there, it drives him crazy. Him, and a few other reporters who actually get it are being driven crazy because the team is going to treat all media the same - like the ones who were so slow to realize how popular this team is and haven't covered it particularly well.

Pigfynn
12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
I am convinced that our DP deal is done and it involves Newcastle somehow.

tfc
12-21-2008, 12:24 PM

When was the last time ameobi played?

TFC_Toon
12-21-2008, 12:27 PM

What makes you think Newcastle? Just a feeling?

TFC_Toon
12-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Ameobi started for Newcastle today but went off injured in the first half. He is also in contract negotiations with the club.

ensco
12-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Carver pointed out how the media would be on a need-to-know basis in 2009. Meaning, we don't need to know. It drives us crazy; and quite often when we don't know, we speculate.

That's pretty much what he's saying there, it drives him crazy. Him, and a few other reporters who actually get it are being driven crazy because the team is going to treat all media the same - like the ones who were so slow to realize how popular this team is and haven't covered it particularly well.

What I couldn't figure out is, whether he thinks there's some sort of issue with DeRo, or not?

rocker
12-21-2008, 12:34 PM

his column is so disjointed. he needs to learn to focus.
and there's really nothing there except him talking about talking to Dobber. hahah

Beach_Red
12-21-2008, 01:26 PM
What I couldn't figure out is, whether he thinks there's some sort of issue with DeRo, or not?

It's hard to tell, but I think with this he's saying there's no issue:

The unhappy De Rosario storyline is sexy (http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/), and admittedly I had the conspiracy hook in my mouth when Dobson and I discussed it on Tuesday. But it seems common sense has prevailed since then...

Pigfynn
12-21-2008, 04:49 PM
What makes you think Newcastle? Just a feeling?

That and the fact that Carver said he was at Newcastle on TFC business earlier this offseason.

BuSaPuNk
12-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah I am almost certain that there is something up with Carver going to Newcastle on business. It might not be a DP or it might be....either way pretty sure that it has something to do with Newcastle.

The Oz
12-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah I am almost certain that there is something up with Carver going to Newcastle on business. It might not be a DP or it might be....either way pretty sure that it has something to do with Newcastle.

Not out of the realm of possibility, or hmm, and this is just me speculating, (read day dreaming) maybe he's asking about David Edgar as CB? I'm not saying as a DP but I think he's not getting enough time at Newcastle and, let's face it, he would be a godamn hero here.

EDIT: I was right, he's only had 4 appearances this year and has voiced his concern previously that he's not getting enough first time appearances. (then again its wiki so iunno, you be the judge, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Edgar_(footballer) )

BuSaPuNk
12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah that is true. I would be fine with Edgar coming in as a CB. Great quality defender is exactly what we need. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of back door deal with Carver and Newcastle.....loans and such....then Carver coming back to Newcastle at some point?

The Oz
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Iunno about carver going back but I wouldn't be surprised at him being able to get them loan out some players to us.

BuSaPuNk
12-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Well I don't mean he will be there in the next year....but mabey they have some deal that when he is done with TFC he will come back to Newcastle. I think him going back to Newcastle is going to happen no matter what....it's just a matter of when. David Edger is the player that I've heard thrown around that could be loaned out....which would be great! It's a little more realistic than Ameobi or Martins or Viduka.

Tintin
12-22-2008, 08:38 AM
The more I read about DeRo and with the delay for the news conference. I wonder. Could Dero get a big raise nad be our DP? Seems to me that he wants more money...If that's the case, that's not good...

Shakes McQueen
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Ameobi frequently comes off the bench as a sub - in fact, I think he's usually one of the first to come on.

- Scott

redcard
12-22-2008, 08:45 AM
the only question regarding DeRo is...do i get the number 14 now or wait till marshall officially gives it up.