PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, so about D-Ro... - Morgan Campbell

parrott114
12-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Not sure if this is already posted.

http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/

FluSH
12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaut?

(This is probably in the news section)

The Oz
12-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Hmmm, so either DeRo is holding out for more money or we're getting a DP, or both? Comments?

MG42
12-19-2008, 06:10 PM
hmmmm......I'm scared about this...and it's cold outside :(

Steve
12-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow. See, I want to dismiss this as media fearmongering. I want to think that there's nothing wrong, and Morgan Campbell is just making this up. Sadly, I can't. He's right, there's something that doesn't add up in this deal. There is no reason for DeRo to be silent on moving home. Sure, some people have suggested MLSE is saving the press conference to make a "big splash" but that never did make sense to me. Why stop speaking to anyone, why have DeRo not even address Toronto, why wait? Have two press conferences. If one big splash is good, two is better. No, sadly, the negative take on things makes more sense. I just hope this is resolved. Frankly, if there is a... failure to come to terms now, it's going to be hard to get around. DeRo thinks he is in the position of power, and Mo has never been one to be bullied. Of course, if Mo doesn't come to terms with DeRo (even if DeRos terms are 2 million dollars) Mo is going to come across as the bad guy to most TFC fans (think of what happened when he couldn't sign Kiki, and that guy was shit).

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
nah, its fine, i think its just speculation gone ary, i usually like Morgan Campbell but i cant say that i found anything particularly interesting about this article

jrey
12-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I think it's interesting that he's the only person who is taking a negative angle to the whole postponement.

If DeRo were coming here only for money and marketability rather than to play for his hometown team whose fans love him, that might be a little annoying.

I'm a little quick to disregard this due to the big smile I saw on his face at the ASG when the whole south end was chanting "come home DeRo".

But, who knows.

If he was our designated player, I'd say he might deserve it. I'd just be a little disappointed that it was made to seem like he wasn't.

Also, I really want Lucarelli. lol.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Why would DeRo demand to be traded then demand a higher salary? doesnt make sense, im sure it was straightened out before hand, especially as hes getting older and isnt worth more than the 400k hes making (relatively speaking). I feel pretty confident this is just nonsense much like the whole MLS intervened on the DeRo deal (no offense).

jrey
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
nah, its fine, i think its just speculation gone ary, i usually like Morgan Campbell but i cant say that i found anything particularly interesting about this article

And being a journalist myself - this blog sort of looks like journalistic frustration to me. He wonders why he's not getting answers, so he starts jumping to conclusions after reading a Houston article.

I think/hope they're waiting to make a big splash in the New Year... and it seems to have become standard to unveil acquisitions together... so this is why I think the dp in Jan rumour has some traction.

Steve
12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
And being a journalist myself - this blog sort of looks like journalistic frustration to me. He wonders why he's not getting answers, so he starts jumping to conclusions after reading a Houston article.

I think/hope they're waiting to make a big splash in the New Year... and it seems to have become standard to unveil acquisitions together... so this is why I think the dp in Jan rumour has some traction.

Oh, it absolutely is frustration. In fact, at the end, he admits he has no idea what's actually up. That said, I think he's not entirely off the mark to be questioning if the reason for the delay isn't negative (rather than positive).

I actually really like Morgan Campbell's writing. He seems pretty centered. Where Cathal Kelly always takes the negative, and Ben Knight (as much as I like him) is always the fanboy, Campbell seems genuinly curious to know the truth. I'd rather someone who asks the questions, and contacts the right people. In this situation, everyone has been so caught up in the "oh my god! DeRo is coming home!" that no one bothered to ask "wait, why the hell are they being entirely silent?". Again, I don't buy the big splash hypothesis, I think it's stalling.

rocker
12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
i don't see a problem with Campbell's blog. He says this scenario may or may not be true. he's clearly indicating he's speculating.

but it is really really curious that DeRo hasn't talked. That has no relationship to TFC having a press conference in January for him and a DP. he can talk before a press conference weeks from now. I have been complaining and wondering why he wasn't formally introduced, and everyone gives me the answer that they'll do a 2-in-1 conference. but that doesn't mean he can't talk to the media.

it's actually more likely he's looking for something "extra" after this move. holding off on working for TFC until he gets it.

Campbell just wanted to do a feel good story and he's getting railroaded? that's weird.

GeorgeB
12-19-2008, 06:43 PM
poor Morgan,he's probably pissed that every other journo or media covering tfc knows more than him.sounds like some sour grapes to me.

wzhxvy
12-19-2008, 06:55 PM
First of all...am I surprised that Mo acted the way he did ? No...he seems like a real class nice guy...not. But he does not have to be a gentleman to be an effective GM...so whatever.

In terms of Dero, something is TOTALLY up and sounds he is sulking because there is nothing he can do but report to the team...so this is him trying to create leverage where he doesnt have one. If I was him...I would be on my agent for some sponsorship deals vs. haggling over 75K/year because he wont get DP money...so this is about getting up to 400K and possible a contract extension.

As long as this does not drag for much longer...and does not sour Dero or impact his play...whatever...if it does...what a shame

bones
12-19-2008, 07:00 PM
poor Morgan,he's probably pissed that every other journo or media covering tfc knows more than him.sounds like some sour grapes to me.

BINGO! Thank you George!

This guy writes like a 12 year old and is just sour because the guy who is in the "biggest trade involving Toronto FC" isn't answering any of his calls.

You've GOT to be F'ing kidding me.

Bones...

FluSH
12-19-2008, 07:01 PM

couldn't have said it better myself...

ensco
12-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm a Mo supporter, but on this one you guys are cutting Mo way too much slack, and not giving enough respect to a serious, veteran reporter who is on your side.

I think Morgan is onto something. Seriously, he should have more credibility on this board based on his TFC work so far - he would not print that just because he was bitter.

(For the record, I've never met Morgan Campbell, don't know anyone who knows him, and wouldn't recognize him if he stood beside me on the subway)

The lack of presser is no big deal, but the radio silence amongst both the player and management is highly, and I mean highly, unusual. (Just by way of comparison, Mats Sundin, his agent, and the Canucks GM have all done multiple radio interviews today - now the interest in Mats is 100x what it is for DeRo, but my point is, there's no presser but there's lots of media availability - that's standard procedure)

I started a thread about why the price for DeRo was so cheap, on the assumption the league had gotten involved (Paul shot that down). But I argued at length in that thread, that something else had to be going on for the price to be so low in relation to the price paid for comparable, arguably lesser, players (ie McBride and Gomez).

I think we're getting closer to finding some really interesting things out. Don't know what they are though.

werewolf
12-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Whether you liked this blog entry or not. Let's remember, he is still the best soccer writer at that publication, by far.

kshep
12-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Morgan's reading a lot more into this than he really needs to I think. I'm sure I read somewhere that there hasn't been a presser because the FO had started Christmas break when the deal was completed, Though I may be wrong.

a.ungaro
12-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Dont worry hes coming... I coach his nephew on my under-13 NSSC rep team... If he wasnt coming, i dont think this kid would be telling everyone at practice on monday. Plus the family has had contact with him and he told them hes coming...

You heard it here first...

Unless noone wants to believe me again....thats cool

Scarbz 4 Lyfe!!!

FluSH
12-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Maybe... DeRO is holding out until we change those damn ugly kits we have this year... (fingers crossed)

jabbronies
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
I guess he may be looking for "Maple Leaf" style player intros.

If the Leafs were to sign a big name player, the media would demand a press conference for sure.

It's Toronto media politics...love it or hate, it is what it is.

Boris
12-19-2008, 08:30 PM
all this speculation is awesome. I love it.
but really,
I think its more of a case of clearing physicals and what not??? i hope.

jloome
12-19-2008, 08:48 PM

He hasn't jumped to conclusions. He quite clearly delineated that the whole thing might be crap.

In fact, all he's done is report frustration at trying to clarify a story. It doesn't actually conclude one way or the other that something BAD is up, just that something is up.

My suspicion is that there may have been money issues, but with TFC's significant resources, they could either a) bolster the deal with bonus, endorsements and allocation money or b) make deRo a dp once they know that they can secure their striker target without using the DP status.

So it doesn't seem likely that this would so much scarper the deal as delay his public discussion of the move for awhile, at worst. And the January push-back may just mean they're only a few days from concluding a dp deal (as in Jan. 1, when their target becomes a free agent somewhere and the transfer window opens in Europe) and figure it makes sense to go with both at the same time.

TorCanSoc
12-19-2008, 08:49 PM
BINGO! Thank you George!

This guy writes like a 12 year old and is just sour because the guy who is in the "biggest trade involving Toronto FC" isn't answering any of his calls.

You've GOT to be F'ing kidding me.

Bones...

I disagree. Morgan's very objective. The only thing he lacks (and he admits) is a history of soccer reporting. He knows the business of sport and sports reporting. His blog is not off the mark. WTF is up. When we signed Poz, Braz and Reda that had a big (as big as can be for a yet to play a game soccer team) a press conference in the CN Tower. It was rather quick. DeRo is bigger than all of them, yet nothing. Fly him up for a photo-op, something dammit.

wzhxvy
12-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I do not understand how people can totally dismiss that there could be money issues here. There has to be. If any of you worked for an employer who asked you relocate...and you owned property that has depreciated since you bought it ...and you are forced to sell because of the move...you would all just move no questions asked ? I do think he is on to something...I hope its minor in the scheme of things and TFC is looking to resolve it under the radar and do not appreciate this guy talking about it...

Shakes McQueen
12-19-2008, 09:08 PM
I've read in a few places that the TFC FO is basically a ghost town right now. Compound this with the fact that this is the depth of the offseason, and DeRo no doubt has a lot of loose ends to tie up in Houston (and no real rush to do it), and I think we have our answer.

TFC/Houston wouldn't announce the deal on their websites, if it wasn't done. There may be some haggling over salary, but even if that were the case, DeRo would have no reason to be silent about it. Nor would his father.

My guess is that Mo simply asked DeRo to keep his head low until the inevitable press conference in the New Year - the press conference that many folks who are more connected to MLSE than Morgan, hint is going to happen in January.

I hope, though, that DeRo isn't actually haggling over his salary. While he is still a top notch midfielder by MLS standards, surely he recognizes that his most productive years are likely starting to get behind him. He is being given the opportunity to enjoy a hero's welcome, playing in front of fans who already love him, for at least the same salary, in his hometown, closer to his family.

I'm confident this is just Morgan making something out of nothing, though.

- Scott

Redcoe15
12-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Is there a way to create an icon where they are using their finger to play with their lips and make banjo sounds? 'Cuz that's how I'm feeling about all this idle talk right now.

SoccMan
12-19-2008, 09:49 PM
DeRo deserves at least $400,000, if MLSE can't offer him this amount then he will have every right to be disgruntled. If somehow this deal falls through because of MLSE not wanting to pony up the extra money, there will be alot of pissed off season ticket holders. The money is there lets get the deal done people, give the man the money he deserves, assuming that there realy is a problem the DeRo deal.

JDG
12-20-2008, 12:45 AM
DeRo deserves at least $400,000, if MLSE can't offer him this amount then he will have every right to be disgruntled. If somehow this deal falls through because of MLSE not wanting to pony up the extra money, there will be alot of pissed off season ticket holders. The money is there lets get the deal done people, give the man the money he deserves, assuming that there realy is a problem the DeRo deal.

I don't think they're allowed to pay him $400,000 without making him a DP.
I'm pretty sure there's a "no fly zone" in terms of salary.
$400,000 is the amount a DP counts towards the cap. I think the max a non DP player can be paid is less than $400,000 by 10s of thousands of dollars.
I may be wrong - I didn't check my facts before posting, but this is the impression that I've had for awhile.

Keystone FC
12-20-2008, 06:12 AM
8riXGpPFD34

GBV
12-20-2008, 07:13 AM
kudos to morgan.
to make the biggest deal in franchise history, one which has the warm-fuzzy-kid-comes-home-to-play angle to it, and to not hear boo from the kid coming home...well, there is no way to paint that but weird. really.
fresh off the heels of revealing the new jerseys, you can bet your ass the franchise would have preferred to unveil dero before christmas, maybe sell a couple half-dozen jerseys.
really, this is far too good a feel-good story for the incoming party to not be available for a few happy and puffy words.
something is "up."

Shakes McQueen
12-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Someone needs a "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

- Scott

GBV
12-20-2008, 08:48 AM
or maybe a Connect The Dots And Form An Opinion one.

billyfly
12-20-2008, 10:45 AM
It sounds to me that Mo wanted to bring someone else as DP but Dwayne wants that title and the associated money that goes with it. We've kept talking about him as a DP so I am sure he agrees. Remember we all celebrated that this was a wonderful trade b/c we got DeRo "and not even at DP money!". I'm sure that that wasnt lost on the man himself.

The "Toronto jinx" wont let us get away that easy.

DigzTFC!
12-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Here's my theory:

Houston traded De Rosario not because he wanted to specifically come back to Toronto, but he was BOUND FOR EUROPE. Remember this rumor earlier in the season:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/56392

Basically, Houston knew De Rosario was going to leave one way or another. So they cashed him in for James and some allocation. Pretty good return for a guy that might not play in the league. Mo Johnston saw it as an opportunity to get DeRo cheap and that the sentimentality of the situation would cause he him to stay in Toronto. Problem is, DeRo wants the same money he was promised from Copenhagen to stay with Toronto. He is at current on the books with TFC, but he wants a raise.

DeRo is being silent until negotiations are over, but his negotiations are effecting the DP negotiations. Pretty short sighted when MLS can gift players their image rights in contracts and all the subsequent promo this guy will get and seeing how he got a raise when moving to Canada (exchange rate, he's paid in USD).

Or, DeRo is spending the holidays in Houston with his wife....

Ossington Mental Youth
12-20-2008, 01:07 PM
DeRo is not headed to europe, he had a chance several years ago when he was scouted by Blackburn and Man City. Why would he leave now at 31 with 6 kids.
Dudes coming.
I gotta stop reading this thread.
Its worse than kennedy conspiracy theories

Ossington Mental Youth
12-20-2008, 01:10 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=341
why would they continue to post videos if dude wasnt coming?
People are too impatient

DigzTFC!
12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=341
why would they continue to post videos if dude wasnt coming?
People are too impatient

Apparently you did stop reading....I said he was heading to Europe with Houston. Not he's going now....this board is full of overreacting to shit without reading the posts

wzhxvy
12-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Dero has 6 kids ?????

Cashcleaner
12-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Hmmmm...

If anyone wants me, I'll be outside banging my head against the nearest lamppost.

Does this mean DeRo is demanding to be made our DP? Because he's gonna have to come in under that allocation if he wants more than $400,000 from Toronto. Despite what some may think, we can't just give him more than that amount because its the league maximum salary. If DeRo wants more than $400,000, he has to get it as a DP. People could argue that DeRo is worth more than that amount to Toronto FC, but is he worth spending the allocation slot?

Personally, I'm not all that worked up over this rumour. If there is a snag in the deal TFC will try its best to find a loophole and land him here somehow.

Yohan
12-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Hmmmm...

If anyone wants me, I'll be outside banging my head against the nearest lamppost.

Does this mean DeRo is demanding to be made our DP? Because he's gonna have to come in under that allocation if he wants more than $400,000 from Toronto. Despite what some may think, we can't just give him more than that amount because its the league maximum salary. If DeRo wants more than $400,000, he has to get it as a DP. People could argue that DeRo is worth more than that amount to Toronto FC, but is he worth spending the allocation slot?

Personally, I'm not all that worked up over this rumour. If there is a snag in the deal TFC will try its best to find a loophole and land him here somehow.so, does this mean giambac's conspiracy theory will become true? :p

Ossington Mental Youth
12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Dero has 6 kids ?????

HAHAHAHA
nah like 3, just a bit of overexagerating, doesnt seem too out of line with the spirit of threads re: De Ro these days

Digz- Sorry man, misread your bit, still cant say i think its an issue

Ossington Mental Youth
12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/20/johnston_derosario/

Oldtimer
12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/20/johnston_derosario/

It is time to take off the tinfoil hat. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin-foil_hat)

Why? It's much more fun being paranoid!!! :lol: