PDA

View Full Version : Reed: DP announcement in "couple of weeks"

SweetOwnGoal
12-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Surprised not to see this being talked about already. Nigel Reed suggested that DP signing was coming in "a couple weeks."

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2008/12/whats-that-about-bird.html

TFC Cityboy
12-18-2008, 11:05 PM
and cue speculation and proposterous optimism!

Flipityflu
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
hmmmmm, i wonder who...

Jack
12-18-2008, 11:25 PM
January transfer window...DP announcement.

Coincidence?

Hmmmm....

Keyman
12-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I've also been told that something is in the works by someone who I definitely trust...

Dero + DP press conference is what I'm thinking.

FluSH
12-18-2008, 11:28 PM
I've also been told that something is in the works by someone who I definitely trust...

Dero + DP press conference is what I'm thinking.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAUT? oooooh man...

Keyman
12-18-2008, 11:30 PM
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAUT? oooooh man...

Iunno, I haven't been on here very much lately but something is definitely up. The Dero + DP press conference is just my own speculation, but it makes sense.

dantdot
12-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Podcast's out:
http://www.fan590.com/onair/soccer/media.jsp?content=20081218_223507_12928

It's at the end, a caller calls to complain about MLSE not spending money on a DP at 38:20 and the comments come after.

Flipityflu
12-18-2008, 11:31 PM
i wonder if its somebody who isn't signed. i just don't see TFC splashing a transfer fee down, which is what you have to do during the January period. i'd be looking at players who are out of contract.

Robbie Fowler?

Jack
12-18-2008, 11:33 PM
i wonder if its somebody who isn't signed. i just don't see TFC splashing a transfer fee down, which is what you have to do during the January period. i'd be looking at players who are out of contract.

Robbie Fowler?
Lucarelli sounds like a fairly good hypothesis.

Flipityflu
12-18-2008, 11:41 PM
i say Robbie Fowler only because i never got to see him play for Liverpool and this would be the next best thing :). i'm sure we could come up with a good list of out of contract players. do you think many teams would free transfer right now?

Jack
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
My feeling would be announce now, player comes in the summer. Sort of like Becks and Blanco. But you never know.

It's hard to find someone who's not playing in January.

wzhxvy
12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
This is exciting stuff...I am pumped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO YEAH BABY !

jloome
12-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Mark Viduka hasn't re-signed with Newcastle. Don't think Ameobi has either, and they almost moved him a few months back.

Fowler flopped at Blackburn and is on a free right now.

CretanBull
12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Fowler's knees are done, he can't play anymore - especially not on turf.

Viduka? Who knows...if he leaves Newcastle there will be other Premiership interest, but maybe not for the money that MLSE are willing to spend.

Ameobi would be a good pick-up for us, but he's not the 'name' that the marketing staff at TFC will go crazy over.

Edit: but I'd love to see the whole South end doing the Ameobi song & dance!!!

jloome
12-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Fowler's knees are done, he can't play anymore - especially not on turf.

Viduka? Who knows...if he leaves Newcastle there will be other Premiership interest, but maybe not for the money that MLSE are willing to spend.

Ameobi would be a good pick-up for us, but he's not the 'name' that the marketing staff at TFC will go crazy over.

Edit: but I'd love to see the whole South end doing the Ameobi song & dance!!!

Any of the above would be nice. Fowler's knees aren't the problem, it's his bionic hip. But he had it worked on last year and is allegedly fit again. Depends if he wants the challenge, as he's worth a gazillion dollars and doesn't need the money.

Viduka, I think, would be killer. Great finisher and DeRo and Guevara would set up lots of chances.

Ameobi I don't know well enough. He's always seemed to struggle in the premiership, but he's been there most (if not all, I think) of his career, so maybe he'd rip MLS a new one.

Terry
12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
This has got me excited.

andyc
12-19-2008, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's Alan Smith. Being a Leeds fan I have mixed emotions on this but there's the Leeds and Newcastle link for Carver. Apparently he's almost recovered from his latest injury and Newcastle may be looking for some new players...

Corpand
12-19-2008, 12:21 AM
oh boy, this is gonna be a great year in soccer all across Canada.

CretanBull
12-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Allardyce and Keegan didn't care for him, but Ameobi played well under Kinnear. He's back on the bench now but that's not really his fault - it has more to do with the fact that Martins and Owen are playing so well. Ameobi has played well off the bench (he's usually the first sub on) and would be starting for a lot of other clubs. He's a big, strong player with skill...he'd give fits to MLS defenders.

CretanBull
12-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Smith isn't a bad guess because I don't really see him fitting in with Newcastle anymore, but...fuck him.

andyc
12-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Smith isn't a bad guess because I don't really see him fitting in with Newcastle anymore, but...fuck him.

Yep understand completely... But can you imagine the shit he would cause over here?? Although we may see a few cards too...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-19-2008, 12:47 AM
the Big Splash!

Big Bruva
12-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Allardyce and Keegan didn't care for him, but Ameobi played well under Kinnear. He's back on the bench now but that's not really his fault - it has more to do with the fact that Martins and Owen are playing so well. Ameobi has played well off the bench (he's usually the first sub on) and would be starting for a lot of other clubs. He's a big, strong player with skill...he'd give fits to MLS defenders.

Teams like Wigan, West Brom, Stoke etc would love a player like Ameobi so i don't see him coming to Canada at all.

Cashcleaner
12-19-2008, 01:02 AM
It's gonna be a Canadian. I just feel it in my gut. They're going to present both DeRo and the DP together - basically sending a message that the team is committed to bringing in one-and-a-half DPs for the club and give us a more unique identity in the league.

But which Canadian?...

Pachuco
12-19-2008, 01:06 AM
It's gonna be a Canadian. I just feel it in my gut. They're going to present both DeRo and the DP together - basically sending a message that the team is committed to bringing in one-and-a-half DPs for the club and give us a more unique identity in the league.

But which Canadian?...

There's only 1. Honestly, there's only 1 Canadian I'll accept as DP.

Big Bruva
12-19-2008, 01:16 AM
There's only 1. Honestly, there's only 1 Canadian I'll accept as DP.

And he is not coming so........

Rankings for Canadian players are

1.JDG
2.DeRo
3.A.Hutch

Be weird to get Hutch as a DP when you avoided getting DeRo a a DP

CretanBull
12-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Teams like Wigan, West Brom, Stoke etc would love a player like Ameobi so i don't see him coming to Canada at all.

I agree...I also think he could play for teams above that lot as well...

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2008, 01:44 AM
its almost definitely not going to be a canadian

greatwhitenorf
12-19-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm sure he's not a popular choice these days, but Paul Stalteri is surplus to requirements at Spurs and probably reaching a time when playing at home would be appealing. He would fit the bill skill and experience-wise in the defence. And probably be reasonably priced.

Big Bruva
12-19-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm sure he's not a popular choice these days, but Paul Stalteri is surplus to requirements at Spurs and probably reaching a time when playing at home would be appealing. He would fit the bill skill and experience-wise in the defence. And probably be reasonably priced.

Yeah Paul could be the player they are talking about and would improve the defence but he wouldn't bring much of a DP buzz

Roogsy
12-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Didn't he make a big deal about the grass/turf issue?

Still...he would definitely shore up the D back there, and really, we would have the major parts of Canada's national team playing here!

Is that a good thing or not? Let's see what the announcement is in the new year...

greatwhitenorf
12-19-2008, 02:05 AM
No. Let's fuel the speculation frenzy.

CretanBull
12-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Stalteri isn't worth DP money.

CretanBull
12-19-2008, 02:15 AM
I'd only be interested in a Canadian if that player deserves the position. We have De Ro and we aren't getting JDG. We need to use our DP slot on a striker - I don't see a Canadian striker out there worth DP money.

Shakes McQueen
12-19-2008, 05:01 AM

This is exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't be shocked if it was Stalteri. I would, however, be kind of bummed out.

Stalteri didn't exactly shine during WCQ, and he has disparaged both BMO field, and TFC/MLS in the past.

Julian de Guzman is pretty much the only Canadian DP I would accept with open arms (aside from maybe Owen Hargreaves - I could get over the whole "traitor" thing).

I hope Mo makes the right deal for the club, not just one that panders to the "yay Canada!" part that lives within all of us. He has that covered with DeRo. Now go out and get the right man for the job.

Either a commanding CB, or a striker who can regularly put it in the onion bag, please.

- Scott

profit89
12-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Cristiano Lucarelli... great player.

Strong, physical, and great striker of the ball.

MUFC_Niagara
12-19-2008, 06:59 AM
My feeling would be announce now, player comes in the summer. Sort of like Becks and Blanco. But you never know.

It's hard to find someone who's not playing in January.

The January transfer window opens soon ;)

brad
12-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Didn't he make a big deal about the grass/turf issue?

Yes, but so did DeRo.

ensco
12-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Yes, but so did DeRo.

Stalteri is waaay out at the front of the line in terms of slagging the turf, which he did before the Costa Rica friendly last year. DeRo supported Stalteri's blast on this (as did others).

Just to keep the CMNT follies straight, DeRo was more vocal about Mitchell

Jack
12-19-2008, 08:03 AM
The January transfer window opens soon ;)
I know that. But what I mean is, most contracts don't end in January. So we can announce a signing or an agreement in January, but they wouldn't come here until the summer. Not a lot of players go on free transfers in the January window and I doubt we're paying a transfer fee.

denime
12-19-2008, 08:19 AM
January 5.2009, no way.
MLS transfer opens on January 15 so this whole story is just to keep us exacted for upcoming holidays,and than there will be 1001 excuse and explanation why DP is still not signed or announced.

Nice try,but i think this whole DP story is just :icon_bs:

Boris
12-19-2008, 08:20 AM
January 5.2009, no way.
MLS transfer opens on January 15 so this whole story is just to keep us exacted for upcoming holidays,and than there will be 1001 excuse and explanation why DP is still not signed or announced.

but what if its someone that wont start until the summer can they announce him?

ugh...drawn into speculation mode.

Lucky Strike
12-19-2008, 08:23 AM
January 5.2009, no way.

Way to punch us all in the gut, there Buzz Killington. :D Anyway, I don't think there's a Canadian out there that I'd be okay with as a DP. I'd be happy with Lucarelli who's proven to be a 1 in 2 striker in the past few years and could bring that with him to MLS.

Lucky Strike
12-19-2008, 08:24 AM
I know that. But what I mean is, most contracts don't end in January. So we can announce a signing or an agreement in January, but they wouldn't come here until the summer. Not a lot of players go on free transfers in the January window and I doubt we're paying a transfer fee.

Unless the player in question and the club he's with terminate the contract by mutual accord. Then he'd be free (both monetarily and literally) to move to TFC.

werewolf
12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
With Barrett, a healthy Dichio, a more experiance Ibrahim up front, to go with DeRo, Guevara and Ricketts in mid. I would rather add to the defense...or a DP GK.

Just look at the Galaxy.

Oblio2
12-19-2008, 08:29 AM
This will be a player who is free to discuss, as a free agent as of jan 1st.
Therefore, free agent players are a little older, a little worn. Now, as a DP MLSE needs a name player. defenders won't cut it...so Stalteri as a DP is out. They need a big name....the midfield is sorted so by rights, it'll be a forward.

No Owen, other teams want him.
Fowler? Maybe...Although he might not like Turf, money isn't an issue as he's richer than God and he'd get some annonomity here and play less games, while enjoying the summer.
I think he's the best "name" person from the UK who we could ralistically get.

Mark in Ottawa
12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Maybe its a player "on loan" from another club with a different schedule than MLS.

ensco
12-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I think there will be a DP.

More of a "Claudio Lopez" than a "Blanco" in terms of cost/name recognition/marketing impact, I'd wager.

Lucarelli would vastly exceed my expectations, btw...he was acquired on a Eur 4 million transfer just 12 months ago.

Anyone know how Hume is doing, btw? I was certain he'd be the guy until he got hurt. If he's doing OK, maybe he still could be....

brad
12-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Cristiano Lucarelli... great player.

Strong, physical, and great striker of the ball.

Also played in Toronto in that Italy friendly in Toronto a few years back. Some people in the upper balcony had giant banner "Forza Lucarelli", which I remember him pointing to when he scored.

brad
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM

We can announce it before it is a done deal - we don't have to wait until January to announce the deal.

brad
12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
but what if its someone that wont start until the summer can they announce him?

ugh...drawn into speculation mode.

Yes - the transfer can be announced at anytime that is completed. It just doesn't go through until the window.

werewolf
12-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Technically if they are out of contract on June 30th (for example), a club can't have contact with the player until the last 6 months of the contract. So Jan. 1st. Not that FIFA rules are always followed to the letter, but those are technically the rules.

brad
12-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Technically if they are out of contract on June 30th (for example), a club can't have contact with the player until the last 6 months of the contract. So Jan. 1st. Not that FIFA rules are always followed to the letter, but those are technically the rules.

A loan deal could be arranged to account for that though, depending on the player and the circumstances.

However, if it is a player that just completed a European season, we'd be better off giving him a bit of a break anyway before tackling the rest of the MLS season - especially if he's 30+.

joel
12-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Why do people strill mention fowler? The guy is a huge real estate owner in England and has no reason to come here to be so far away from the business that actually makes him his money.

Pachuco
12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Why do people strill mention fowler? The guy is a huge real estate owner in England and has no reason to come here to be so far away from the business that actually makes him his money.

There's lots of real estate to buy here :). I've got houses on my street selling for 3 months no offers ;)

SLBuu
12-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Lucarelli's name keeps getting tossed around. I think it might be him.

brad
12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Lucarelli's name keeps getting tossed around. I think it might be him.

Where is it being tossed around besides these boards?

Oblio2
12-19-2008, 10:53 AM

I think i read that he owns about 80 houses that he rents out.

Lucky Strike
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM

MLSR has it. I know, I know but that's where it is.

SLBuu
12-19-2008, 10:58 AM

not really his name but he fits the description websites have been mentioning. and one or two sites, however reputable they are, have mentioned his name.

i just think its gonna be him, not saying it is going to be him.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2008, 11:16 AM

same reason people think we are going to sign a canadian DP, wishful thinking

BuSaPuNk
12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
What is the contract status of Rob Friend?? Canadian...Striker....DP?? Wishful thinking mabey. I don't know before the the Luch being thrown around there was talk of Ameobi and Viduka or Owen....(barring his contract being renewed by Newcastle)....who know but it's still a exciting time for TFC.

brad
12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
not really his name but he fits the description websites have been mentioning. and one or two sites, however reputable they are, have mentioned his name.

i just think its gonna be him, not saying it is going to be him.

If it was, wow. A player capable of hitting the 20 goal mark in the Serie A 3 seasons running... coming up against mediocre, poorly organized MLS defenses. Makes me drool...

Gobi
12-19-2008, 11:40 AM
"DP Announcement..."

It could be that the announcement is simply: Sorry guys, not happening this year.

Just sayin'. ;)

Super
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
^ LOL that would be the worst DP announcement ever. And Nigel Reed would be in trouble

Mark in Ottawa
12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
"DP Announcement..."

It could be that the announcement is simply: Sorry guys, not happening this year.
What a little ray of sunshine....

Gobi
12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
^ Sorry, but I'm just preparing myself for possible heartbreak.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2008, 11:51 AM
"DP Announcement..."

Just sayin'. ;)

:rolleyes:

Mark in Ottawa
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
^ Sorry, but I'm just preparing myself for possible heartbreak.
Maybe a wise thing given the TFC past record on this.
But it is the season for dreams... right?

Just go look at the "All I want for Christmas" Thread :p

cuecas_red
12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
take it for what it is worth but they were right last week
Cristiano Lucarelli to Toronto FC as DP? Toronto Designated Player Signing Imminent?

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/12/incoming-cristiano-lucarelli-to-toronto.html

OnlyOneKeano
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I am just going to throw out a name that I buddy and I came up with over pints last night. He may have a connection to Carl Robinson, dunno about Carver, he can't get into his Championship team Derby, one of those guys you love to hate, I'm talkin Robbie Savage...any takers?

(As I said I have no basis for this, it's just a name that came up)

joel
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM
same reason people think we are going to sign a canadian DP, wishful thinking

there's wishful thinking, and then there is stupidity.

Lucky Strike
12-19-2008, 01:10 PM
You know what I was thinking about Lucarelli? If you re-read his wiki, it says he has a history of turning down larger offers to remain where he was. Moreover, he's a professed communist: wouldn't he be a great fit philosophically in MLS with the single-entity structure, parity and so on?

loconet
12-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I am just going to throw out a name that I buddy and I came up with over pints last night. He may have a connection to Carl Robinson, dunno about Carver, he can't get into his Championship team Derby, one of those guys you love to hate, I'm talkin Robbie Savage...any takers?

(As I said I have no basis for this, it's just a name that came up)

I highly doubt they would make the splash on a midfielder. We are pretty set in that area.

It has to be a striker or a big defender. I personally would much rather have a a solid investment on a defender rather than waste a lot of $ on a striker. Barret will come out this coming year, watch.

Does Cannavaro like snow? lol..

werewolf
12-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Christoph Metzelder for DP!

ACSertL
12-19-2008, 01:59 PM

2nded!!

loconet
12-19-2008, 02:00 PM

ha! I would take him in a heart beat but he still has a few years left in Europe. So another dream :(

Beach_Red
12-19-2008, 02:04 PM
I highly doubt they would make the splash on a midfielder. We are pretty set in that area.

I just had to stop for a moment to think about that. We are pretty set in that area. Doesn't that sound good? We are going to start a season set in at least one area.

Okay, back to speculation....

I like the commie.

Cashcleaner
12-19-2008, 02:32 PM
its almost definitely not going to be a canadian

I'll bet you a tenner!

billyfly
12-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I hold its not someone who doesnt like snow b/c man its coming down.

DOMIN8R
12-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I'll bet you a tenner!

I'll take that bet. I don't think that it will be a Canadian.

NF-FC
12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
What is the contract status of Rob Friend?? Canadian...Striker....DP?? Wishful thinking mabey. I don't know before the the Luch being thrown around there was talk of Ameobi and Viduka or Owen....(barring his contract being renewed by Newcastle)....who know but it's still a exciting time for TFC.

signed to 2012 for M'Gladbach

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I'll take that bet. I don't think that it will be a Canadian.

that makes two of us, ill take this bet as well

H Bomb
12-19-2008, 03:00 PM
one big question to ask is if lucarelli speaks any english....as there would very few italian speakers at the club (danny is the only one i can think of)

TFCREDNWHITE
12-19-2008, 03:18 PM
It says Lucarelli is under contract to Parma still!! So how in the world could he come here if he is under contract??

Flashman
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
It says Lucarelli is under contract to Parma still!! So how in the world could he come here if he is under contract??

"The only thing Cristiano can do is remain at Parma," his agent, Carlo Pallavicino, was quoted as saying by Datasport. "He made a choice and he will continue with it.

"He has a clause that says if Parma stay in Serie B he can be released and he is convinced that this was the right choice."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/711/fiorentina/2008/12/17/1015773/parma-no-lucarelli-pazzini-swap

Jack
12-19-2008, 03:35 PM
If his contract expires at the end of the season, he's allowed to sign a new contract for next season in January. So we could sign him now and he'd come in the summer, like Becks and Blanco both did.

MisterMacphisto
12-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Woo hooo!!! Can't WAIT to welcome back Adam Braz!!!!

:canada::canada::canada:

Yohan
12-19-2008, 04:39 PM
With Barrett, a healthy Dichio, a more experiance Ibrahim up front, to go with DeRo, Guevara and Ricketts in mid. I would rather add to the defense...or a DP GK.

Just look at the Galaxy.
Sutton is among the top GK in MLS. No need to replace him.

If Barrett can put in 10-12, Dichio 5-8, Ibby 5-8, DeRo 8-10 plus whatever from rest of the team, we'd be in good shape offensively, providing that we don't let in stupid goals.
So I'd be more in favour of DP CB than a striker. There are enough offensive players out there. It's just getting the quality defender that the league seems to have problems with.

Jack
12-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Sutton is among the top GK in MLS. No need to replace him.

If Barrett can put in 10-12, Dichio 5-8, Ibby 5-8, DeRo 8-10 plus whatever from rest of the team, we'd be in good shape offensively, providing that we don't let in stupid goals.
So I'd be more in favour of DP CB than a striker. There are enough offensive players out there. It's just getting the quality defender that the league seems to have problems with.

Ibbe had two goals last year. Dichio had 5. Ibbe might be good for four this year (I originally had him pegged for more, but then reality hit me).

DeRo is more likely to be around 7 and Dichio around 5-6.

Yohan
12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
ha! I would take him in a heart beat but he still has a few years left in Europe. So another dream :(
Can we get couple of those big nasty German CBs? I'd love to see Cunny run into someone like Mertesacker or Huth. It'll be like running into a brick wall

Yohan
12-19-2008, 04:43 PM
If his contract expires at the end of the season, he's allowed to sign a new contract for next season in January. So we could sign him now and he'd come in the summer, like Becks and Blanco both did.
or mutual termination of contract

greatwhitenorf
12-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, here it is, a January availability of a likely suspect.

Not official yet, but Spurs gossip board ITKs saying Stalteri and Spurs parting ways by mutual consent in time for the upcoming transfer window.

Not sure he's a DP-type player, but he might come aboard for reasonable money. He'd also be joining DeRo as an influential grass pitch advocate.

JDG
12-20-2008, 08:54 PM
If Stalteri has gotten a commitment that grass will be in place for 2010, he may be willing to compromise his principles to come now.
I can't say I like the idea. I can't stand when people make a firm stand, and then throw it out the window.

CretanBull
12-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Stalteri isn't a DP quality player, and I don't think we'll ever see a DP defender in the MLS - at least not on a team that only has 1 DP.

Marco2K
12-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I would rather him not be canadian. thats all we need. Another lost player to the Canadian national team. Especially for them to leave us and LOSE for canada.

Mark in Ottawa
12-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Woo hooo!!! Can't WAIT to welcome back Adam Braz!!!!

:canada::canada::canada:

Me too and this time TFC should be able to beat Montreal and Adam Braz!!

dantdot
12-21-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/699/tottenham/2008/12/21/1022863/stalteris-tottenham-hotspur-career-halted

Hmm...

Officially released: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=512093

Super
12-21-2008, 04:47 PM
So Stalteri might be our DP? Not sure that's such a great idea. We need someone who can score goals. Would be great to improve our defence, but even with a better defence I see a lot of 0-0 draws and 1-0 defeats unless we get a proven goal scorer who can hammer in the goals needed to win games.

dantdot
12-21-2008, 04:52 PM
So Stalteri might be our DP? Not sure that's such a great idea. We need someone who can score goals. Would be great to improve our defence, but even with a better defence I see a lot of 0-0 draws and 1-0 defeats unless we get a proven goal scorer who can hammer in the goals needed to win games.

I wouldn't go this route either but has anyone considered DeRo might be the DP and Stalteri signing for league max?

Lucky Strike
12-21-2008, 05:15 PM
For some reason, I thought Stalteri was 37, not 31. Makes him slightly more attractive as a player but I still think that with the strict cap, we need players with value; he'd likely cost way too much.

Dirk Diggler
12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
If we can get a quality striker without using a DP spot, I'm perfectly fine with using the DP spot on Stalteri. He's a quality defender and would do extremely well in this league.

djcuse
12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Stalteri is staying in europe:

http://sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/12/21/thfc_stalteri/

"I'll definitely remain in Europe. That's without a question," he added."I'll definitely remain in Europe. That's without a question," he added.

shwade
12-21-2008, 05:54 PM

"I'll definitely remain in Europe. That's without a question," he added."I'll definitely remain in Europe. That's without a question," he added.

Thank God he's not our DP.
He seems to look down on the MLS anyway.

dantdot
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
So he's off the table. NEXT! :D

reggie
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
that's good let him stay there,he is way over rated.
mo does not like him anyway.....

parrott114
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
here is another link

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/12/incoming-paul-stalteri-to-mls-toronto.html

Super
12-21-2008, 06:08 PM

Wow, well that ends the speculation right there.

werewolf
12-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Radzinski then?

Mark in Ottawa
12-22-2008, 06:06 AM
TFC need some help at centre back...
TFC has a "link" with Newcastle...
Newcastle has a young Canadian defender warming the bench game in and game out..
So... maybe a loaner is in order.

Will David Edgar play for TFC?
Would he be an inexpensive DP?

greatwhitenorf
12-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Thank God he's not our DP.
He seems to look down on the MLS anyway.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

I only wish Canada had more players of his calibre.

Yohan
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
TFC need some help at centre back...
TFC has a "link" with Newcastle...
Newcastle has a young Canadian defender warming the bench game in and game out..
So... maybe a loaner is in order.

Will David Edgar play for TFC?
Would he be an inexpensive DP?
i thought all loan deals need an option to buy clause...

EastYork
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
From http://www.paulstalteri.com/

Paul Stalteri has cancelled his contract at Tottenham by mutual consent. Paul made 56 appearances for Tottenham and scored three goals. Paul has signed for Borussia Mönchengladbach and will be playing alongside Canadian International Rob Friend. He will join the club on January 1st.

SLBuu
12-22-2008, 03:00 PM
i thought all loan deals need an option to buy clause...

teams can make the buy out clause as expensive as they want to be sure the other team cant afford it making him a rental player.