PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft scrapped

MG42
12-18-2008, 12:39 PM
from SBI

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/mls-to-scrap-supplemental-draft.html

College soccer players and pro prospects hoping to be drafted by MLS teams this winter will have a lot fewer opportunities for that to happen.
MLS has decided to scrap the MLS Supplemental Draft, multiple sources confirmed to SBI on Thursday. The four-round draft was an annual event which usually followed a week after the MLS Draft.
With MLS reducing the number of supplemental roster spots and eliminating the reserve division, the need to fill out rosters with developmental players has been reduced, this diminishing the need for the extra draft rounds.
The Supplemental has produced its share if quality players in recent years, including MLS rookie of the year finalist Kheli Dube of New England in 2008 and New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Danny Cepero in 2007.
The development may actually be a blessing for free agents who are not selected in the 2009 MLS Draft, set for Jan. 15th in St. Louis. Rather than being chosen in the Supplemental Draft and having the drafting team hold their rights, undrafted players will be free to try out for the team or teams of their choosing.

Damien
12-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Ruiz was still a ripoff ;)

Lucky Strike
12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
It's...about...time... This meets the minimum that I advocated a little while back. I definite good step, though I personally think that 3 rounds would be enough. I can definitely live with this however.

Lucky Strike
12-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Ruiz was still a ripoff ;)

Lol, I just got that! Hahaha, anyone who obtained supplemental picks in a trade will now be screwed.

rocker
12-18-2008, 01:08 PM
ya, glad this is gone. it was pretty much a crapshoot and was kinda shitty for the players. i mean, some of these guys were on the fringes, and it would be better to allow them to hustle around and try out for different teams than get locked in to one... or have to have their rights traded.

Damien
12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
MoJo "passed" on all but 1 of our supplemental picks last year... so regardless of whether we traded them away or the draft is kaboshed, it makes no difference to TFC.

GhostPK
12-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Haha, Mo screws em over again :P

Shway
12-18-2008, 03:03 PM
What is Mo going to do now, he wont be able to trade a supplemental draft pick for 200k worth of allocation money lol and maybe a international spot

Oldtimer
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
What is Mo going to do now, he wont be able to trade a supplemental draft pick for 200k worth of allocation money lol and maybe a international spot

He can trade Ruiz for the same! ;)

SLBuu
12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Offload ruiz before it becomes official!!!!!!!!!!

Oldtimer
12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
This is the second time that a rule change went in Mo's favour.

The first was when he traded for an almost worthless "Junior International spot." When the distinction between junior and senior internationals was abolished, it became a whole lot more valuable.

Now he got a player for a worthless pick. If he gets anything at all for Ruiz, he's ahead. (If he gets nothing, it's a wash).

Lucky Strike
12-18-2008, 03:59 PM
You'll remember that we also got Hunter Freeman from RBNY for a supplemental pick. We know he's long ago agreed to a contract at IK Start, but at least we broke even (if you don't count the actualy salary paid to the player).

Yohan
12-18-2008, 04:08 PM
since most supplementary draft picks are worthless, i don't think teams that did trade for sup draft picks arent going to complain much

though MLS is funny with the constant rule changing. then again, MLS rules are so byzantine that you need to be a lawyer to understand