PDA

View Full Version : Cooper DP was nixed by league

jloome
12-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Here's one worth discussing. Seems the league's position on Kenny Cooper is that allowing him an MLS DP contract would set a bad precedent, because the league's other top existing players would follow suit.(last paragraph).

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081215&content_id=209035&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Are they right? Or under the current salary structure, is a fat DP deal the only way to keep some of the league's top players here?

Yohan
12-18-2008, 04:57 AM
All the top players will leave for Europe and MLS will be a joke of a league

Brooker
12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
if you're good enough that somebody is willing to use their DP slot on you, i think it should be allowed. no matter who it is.

OR RAISE THE FUCKING SALARY CAP!!!!

Shakes McQueen
12-18-2008, 06:07 AM
if you're good enough that somebody is willing to use their DP slot on you, i think it should be allowed. no matter who it is.

OR RAISE THE FUCKING SALARY CAP!!!!

Here, here!

Not allowing the true talent bred within MLS to bleed out, is just as important as being able to bring in overseas talent. I don't get MLS' stance here.

If a team judges a player to be worthy of a DP slot, it shouldn't matter what the circumstance is. God I can't wait until they finally get rid of this "single entity" shit.

- Scott

Wagner
12-18-2008, 06:56 AM
so cooper has to 2 do years in the EPL before he can come back as a DP?
so stupid...
they should be marketing it as "we are now creating players at the same level as our top imports"
stupid short sighted MLS.

it's the same money in the end, with the Cap and all...

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 08:53 AM
They will lose big time players if they keep this childish shit up. If they want to keep this leauge running for any long period at all they need to raise the salary cap and let teams spend money on their DP as they see fit. Fucking MLS.

ensco
12-18-2008, 09:36 AM
They will lose big time players if they keep this childish shit up. If they want to keep this leauge running for any long period at all they need to raise the salary cap and let teams spend money on their DP as they see fit. Fucking MLS.

How?

What are Cooper's options, exactly?

He can play, or sit.

It highlights the genius of the MLS single entity structure. The long-term contracts they force players into are the key to the whole thing.

What they'll lose is any prospect with an EU passport. This is the exact reason Lapira wouldn't sign with MLS.

Cashcleaner
12-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Yet another bulllshit policy on the part of the league. This sort of control MLS has on the individual teams has to stop.

What we have here is a case of Dallas wanting to keep their star player and willing to spend the money for him, and the league saying no because it might lead other players to do the same with their respective teams.

Unbelievable. And they expect people to pay a 40 million dollar franchise fee just to be told how to run their clubs.

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
How?

He can play, or sit.

It highlights the genius of the MLS single entity structure. The long-term contracts they force players into are the key to the whole thing.

What they'll lose is any prospect with an EU passport. This is the exact reason Lapira wouldn't sign with MLS.

That would be fine if he is under contract. If they are out of a contract and they want a DP contract and the MLS does this shit, they will be on the first plane out of North America. And if this was the case why is it that Beckham is now going to be in Serie A for good now?

Soods
12-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Didn't Beckham go to Serie A?

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah sorry....trying to work and type at the same time doesn't work all the time...

Steve
12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
so cooper has to 2 do years in the EPL before he can come back as a DP?
so stupid...
they should be marketing it as "we are now creating players at the same level as our top imports"
stupid short sighted MLS.

it's the same money in the end, with the Cap and all...

How does this show MLS to be shortsighted? The purpose of a DP is to bring in players that will increase attendence. Keeping a player you already have doesn't increase attendence.

Further, what's wrong with MLS starting to develop into a sellers league? If anything, that will help the progress of MLS. If we start selling players to Europe, it does a few nice things for us. 1) It increases our revenue, and the ability to spend on players (potentially increasing salary cap and level of play). 2) It encourages top prospects to play in the MLS, as they will know it will not harm, and may help, their options of getting into a European league. 3) It increases attedence because people will want to see the next big thing.

All of this cycles back on itself. Eventually, we sell players later and later, and bring over foreign players earlier and earlier. It's a good model on how to build a league slowely and stabaly instead of spending quick money on something that could collapse. In fact, this whole thing might be MLS's way of encouraging cooper to make a go for Europe.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-18-2008, 12:02 PM
foolish foolish foolish on part of the mls

Ossington Mental Youth
12-18-2008, 12:02 PM
i hope that he says fuck you to dallas and fuck you to the mls, thats total nonsense

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
3) It increases attedence because people will want to see the next big thing.

If that was the case everyone would be going to the Marlies games and the Academy games as well......but not happening...:hump:

ensco
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
That would be fine if he is under contract. If they are out of a contract and they want a DP contract and the MLS does this shit, they will be on the first plane out of North America.

Guys, this is a fundamental issue for the league and the players. It's not like this suddenly is happening and nobody has thought about it. This, and the low entry salaries, have been the major issue for the players union for years.

The league has two more option years on Cooper's contract.

This is my point about the genius of the long-term deals MLS forces on rookies. Your scenario of an MLS player that would attract euro interest being out-of-contract will rarely come to pass as the league will ABSOLUTELY sell anyone with significant value before the contract expires.

The league got burned when Bocanegra and Mathis signed overseas and were out of contract (Bocanegra especially was a disaster as he was only 24 when he left, and immediately became a featured playerin the EPL at Fulham). It won't happen again soon.

Azerban
12-18-2008, 01:01 PM
If that was the case everyone would be going to the Marlies games and the Academy games as well......but not happening...:hump:

For MLS, the next big thing is the next big thing in soccer, which isn't located here.
For the Marlies, the next big thing is the next big thing in hockey, which is right next door.
For the Academy, the next big thing is really only the next big thing to the next big thing.

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 01:02 PM
For MLS, the next big thing is the next big thing in soccer, which isn't located here.
For the Marlies, the next big thing is the next big thing in hockey, which is right next door.
For the Academy, the next big thing is really only the next big thing to the next big thing.

I'm Confused!!! :noidea: lol

RedsYNWA
12-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Considering the current economic climate, and the huge amount of debt that big clubs in europe have. The MLS is being very smart growing slowly and most of all becoming financially sound. Lets not be foolish you will see many top clubs in Europe go in the toilet because they overspent on players.
When the money was here in during the NASL days players followed the buck and the whole thing collapsed same thing will happen to a bunch of clubs in Europe..LEEDS anyone

James Oliphant
12-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Boy, there sure are a lot of people here who are comfortable putting words in the mouth of MLS brass...

rocker
12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
it's nice to have guys like Cooper, but in the end he's one player. The rules exist to ensure this kind of stuff doesn't get out of hand. all the crazy rules in MLS are designed to limit players' power to push salaries beyond what the league wants. I can understand that.

Yohan
12-18-2008, 04:05 PM
it's nice to have guys like Cooper, but in the end he's one player. The rules exist to ensure this kind of stuff doesn't get out of hand. all the crazy rules in MLS are designed to limit players' power to push salaries beyond what the league wants. I can understand that.
Players can push for all the salaries they could, and they should be paid according to their abilities and worth to the team, but in the end, there is only one DP slot per team, 2 if you trade for another.

VPjr
12-18-2008, 04:48 PM
i hope that he says fuck you to dallas and fuck you to the mls, thats total nonsense

I'm quite certain that if some club shows up with a sufficiently large bag of cash come January, he'll be dropping those F-bombs on MLS and FCD with pleasure

jloome
12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
How?

He can play, or sit.

You're assuming he won't get enough caps in the next year or so to qualify, which he probably will.

jloome
12-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Boy, there sure are a lot of people here who are comfortable putting words in the mouth of MLS brass...

How do you figure? Hyndman states outright that the league doesn't see the value in signing him as DP because of the precedent. "If the league were to agree..." is a fairly direct reference. He might be being deceptive and putting Dallas's financial decision into the league's lap, but it seems unlikely.

Pachuco
12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
If this story is true, and they are not allowing Dallas to pay Cooper DP money, then they are fucked. I hope Cooper leaves for his own good then staying in this toy operation of a league.

Beach_Red
12-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Further, what's wrong with MLS starting to develop into a sellers league? If anything, that will help the progress of MLS. If we start selling players to Europe, it does a few nice things for us. 1) It increases our revenue, and the ability to spend on players (potentially increasing salary cap and level of play). 2) It encourages top prospects to play in the MLS, as they will know it will not harm, and may help, their options of getting into a European league. 3) It increases attedence because people will want to see the next big thing.

This all makes a lot of sense right now.

ensco
12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
You're assuming he won't get enough caps in the next year or so to qualify, which he probably will.

No, I think Cooper could get a euro visa today. That's not my point.

My point is that he's not out of contract, and will never be. And that Cooper didn't have a euro option when he first signed his MLS contract. Only a Lapira, who has a euro passport, can sign in Europe directly out of NCAA.

jloome
12-19-2008, 12:10 AM
No, I think Cooper could get a euro visa today. That's not my point.

My point is that he's not out of contract, and will never be. And that Cooper didn't have a euro option when he first signed his MLS contract. Only a Lapira, who has a euro passport, can sign in Europe directly out of NCAA.

Oh, I see. Yeah, they'll sell him on first.