PDA

View Full Version : Carl Robinson: 'I am staying mainly because of the fans'

profit89
12-17-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2008/12/18/1017380/carl-robinson-makes-verbal-agreement-to-return-to-toronto

Robinson touted the Canadian fans as one of the major reasons he decided to return to Major League Soccer.

“I keep telling people what it is like over in Toronto, and how crazy and great the fans are, and I think now people are starting to understand one of my reasons why I'm extending my stay,” Robinson said in his column. “I know every player says this, but after playing for some top clubs in my career I can honestly say I've never seen anything like them – their passion, devotion and support is unbelievable.”

MUFC_Niagara
12-17-2008, 10:39 PM
That's nice to hear from a guy who would know....

BC101
12-17-2008, 10:41 PM
That's nice to hear from a guy who would know....
hey stock....
:out::)

Pachuco
12-17-2008, 11:38 PM
weird, I mean I've never been to a game in europe, but I find it hard to believe that the fans in Toronto are that good? I mean I watch EPL every week and no matter what team is playing I hear clear and concise chants coming from the stands. Something I rarely hear when watching a TFC home game on TV, unless it's the Dichio chant.

Don't get me wrong, we are damn good for MLS standards, but are we good for European standards?

Jack
12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Robbo seems to think so.

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Having played for clubs like Wolves, Sunderland and Pompey, he must be very impressed to be giving Toronto such high praise.

In terms of actual support, we aren't as good as European teams, but when you take into account that we've been around for two years in a city with no previous football tradition, it's damn impressive.

Chapman
12-18-2008, 12:24 AM
weird, I mean I've never been to a game in europe, but I find it hard to believe that the fans in Toronto are that good? I mean I watch EPL every week and no matter what team is playing I hear clear and concise chants coming from the stands. Something I rarely hear when watching a TFC home game on TV, unless it's the Dichio chant.

Don't get me wrong, we are damn good for MLS standards, but are we good for European standards?

Full continuing stands all around (we're missing a north stand and continued corners) and roof terraces do help add the crowd sound for TV coverage. As well as the tv coverage itself even helps a lot to make the chants and crowd sound loud.
I mean I went to Tottenham v Bolton at White Heart Lane when they won 5-1 and by all means it was loud but it wasn't the whole stadium chanting all the time either, there were sections much more dedicated at times similar to what we have.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Thats our Robbo

Azerban
12-18-2008, 01:08 AM
I think the main difference is that the overseas broadcasters know how to position the mics so there is good crowd noise better because they have had more practice. When I've been late to the game and I'm running down the street from Shoeless-way you can hear chants loud and clear from beyond a good distance behind the Go gap.

Canary Canuck
12-18-2008, 01:20 AM
I think what Carl's hitting on is the difference in support. It's loud and passionate at the English clubs he's played for as well but it's both positive AND negative energy. English fans can get very negative when the going gets tough. A player playing poorly tends to face their wrath in the stadium and around town. Carl cited anonymity as a reason for initially coming here but the fact that TFC fans are positive through thick and thin is a bonus. We're positive in the stadium and we're 100% positive to the players around town and that makes a big difference. I'm not sure Carl wants to go back to England where taking his kids for a walk the day after a bad game means getting harassed over his play.

nascarguy
12-18-2008, 01:21 AM
I think i will put his name on my new shirt

zeelaw
12-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Sweet, much love Robbo.

GhostPK
12-18-2008, 03:58 AM
Pure Class

Fiin
12-18-2008, 04:43 AM
I odnt think we are as bad as we think at times.. sure we dont have the volume and the whole stadium will never carry a tune, but for noise we arent too bad.. I watched West Ham v Scouserpool and Anfield was like a graveyard till Liverpool finally scored.. even West Ham v Chelsea it was pretty quiet in Stamford alot of the game...

Before the 12,000 people who will feel the need to yap off about how we dont hold a flame to Europe read this, I know that, so save the server space, but give ourselves a little credit where its due.. going into our 3rd year I think we are leaps and bounds better then any other club in MLS and arent as bad as we think.

Canadian Blue
12-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I think i will put his name on my new shirt

have someone else spell it for you

Wagner
12-18-2008, 08:38 AM

Funniest post of 2008!!!

CoachGT
12-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Combine our home performances with appearances at virtually every road game - at least one or two of us seems to be at every game - and loud performances at places like Columbus, New York, Chicago and DC. Could be reminding people of home, without the reported violence and with some anonimity in his personal life.

Robbo is class.

BTW, stay tuned for POTY scarves, which will be ordered in January!

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Having played for clubs like Wolves, Sunderland and Pompey, he must be very impressed to be giving Toronto such high praise.

In terms of actual support, we aren't as good as European teams, but when you take into account that we've been around for two years in a city with no previous football tradition, it's damn impressive.

I think that is what his real point is. Those clubs have a huge history behind them and are well in the hotbed of football. We are completely off the radar. And for us to come out and do what we do on a regular basis....well it's great. I think we all deserve a pat on the back!

Robbo pure class!! :hump:

Flipityflu
12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
after seeing a fair few lower division English games, I can see where he is coming from. if you compare us to the championship and league divisions i think we rank pretty well. the key is not to be silly and compare us to Anfield or Ibrox.

ensco
12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
after seeing a fair few lower division English games, I can see where he is coming from. if you compare us to the championship and league divisions i think we rank pretty well. the key is not to be silly and compare us to Anfield or Ibrox.

Agree.

There's a kind of bitterness to the hardcore support for most teams in Europe. Most teams are disappointments most of the time.

There's a kind of freshness/optimism/naivete with TFC. I think we help remind certain kinds of players who played a long time in the wars over there (Robbo and Dichio for sure) that it's supposed to be fun.

And while we're talking Robbo on a snowy day, the guy went out and scored (for me) the goal of the year against Columbus! After all we said about his somewhat limited offensive skills!

The Professor
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Bit presumptuous to think he's talking about us, no?
I mean, there's nothing in this interview to say he's not just bragging to the boys back home about the hot soccer moms of BMO Field. :D

Oldtimer
12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Bit presumptuous to think he's talking about us, no?
I mean, there's nothing in this interview to say he's not just bragging to the boys back home about the hot soccer moms of BMO Field. :D

Ridiculous post of the day. :D

Stugatzo
12-18-2008, 01:54 PM
This settles it...I'm officially gay for Robbo!!
Seriously, though. Can this guy be anymore class? He doesn't need to pander, he just gets it and he gives his all every game.
Welcome back, Carl!

Super
12-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, the microphones suck at BMO. They do not do the atmosphere justice on TV. All you need to do is head to the beer garden and you'll be surprised at how good the atmos is throughout the stadium.

Oldtimer
12-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I've been to a couple of OGC Nice's matches at their stadium. While there is an intense supporters' group, they are small and most of the rest of the stadium doesn't participate, they just watch.

Roogsy
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Goosebumps....I have them...

Pachuco
12-18-2008, 07:35 PM
I think what Carl's hitting on is the difference in support. It's loud and passionate at the English clubs he's played for as well but it's both positive AND negative energy. English fans can get very negative when the going gets tough. A player playing poorly tends to face their wrath in the stadium and around town. Carl cited anonymity as a reason for initially coming here but the fact that TFC fans are positive through thick and thin is a bonus. We're positive in the stadium and we're 100% positive to the players around town and that makes a big difference. I'm not sure Carl wants to go back to England where taking his kids for a walk the day after a bad game means getting harassed over his play.

I think you make a good point! Something I overlooked with my first post.

scooter
12-18-2008, 08:46 PM
robbo is pure class
just another reason we will be back to cheer and sing again next year for the boys in red
i get goose bumps when we sing o'canada and next year when we start to win some more and the team develops it is only going to get better
so " canny wait fer opening day "
coach gt bring on the player of the year scarfs and sign me up for 2

Bloor West FC
12-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Robbo your the BEST!!!!!

Kayed
12-18-2008, 09:22 PM
lol gold