PDA

View Full Version : Will Seattle's support top TFC's?

jloome
12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
This writer seems to think so:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2008/12/17/1016127/mccarthys-musings-great-expectations

Azerban
12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I hope so.

Damien
12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
i hope all future MLS launches mimic Seattle, I doubt it though.

jloome
12-18-2008, 01:43 AM
I wonder whether the league will actually take the quality or quantity of fan clubs and backers into account when deciding the new franchises. Seattle's numbers are good but there's no suggestion yet that that translates into passion; RSL's stadium looked pretty busy for its last game but it wasn't loud.

Brooker
12-18-2008, 01:55 AM
seattle is the greatest thing since sliced bread. awsome fans, awsome roster, awsome coach. this is amazing! they're gonna be good!

we'll see come April. but i wish them luck. we need more support for MLS teams. im just not completely sold on them yet. i reserve judgement until after their first season and how many people renew their seasons tix. :D

woah, i think somebody said that to me and TFC on bigsoccer in 2007.

kodiakTFC
12-18-2008, 02:20 AM
i hope they are better supporters, we could use some competition. It is pretty lonely on top (perhaps DCU can hang out for a bit too).

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 08:55 AM
It would be good for the leauge to see Seattle come out with the same passion as us. However we will see how dedicated they are come there trip to Toronto. I say about 20 people mabey?

ensco
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
I think expectations are too high for this, given that Seattle fans in other sports are generally among the most laid-back in North America.

Lucky Strike
12-18-2008, 09:34 AM
I hope they'll be good. Numbers don't mean anything if they're all mute.

Lucky Strike
12-18-2008, 09:43 AM
This writer seems to think so:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2008/12/17/1016127/mccarthys-musings-great-expectations

After actually reading the article, I don't think the author actually is implying that Seattle's support may top TFC's. The only line that comes close is the one about the number of STHs they have making us blush. They reached their cap of 18000 (73.5 % of stadium capacity) while we reached our cap of 16000 (78% of stadium capacity). The only reason they would appear to have "better" support is because of a higher cap of STHs due to a bigger stadium: Qwest Field will have a designated capacity of 24500 for soccer compared to 20522 for BMO.That being said, I really hope they are loud because it will push the league towards fan markets as opposed to strictly money markets.

Razcle
12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
We need not concern ourselves with whether Sounders support will be better than TFC's. How exactly can it be? Better coordination of fans? Better away trip planning? Better coverage of all things to do with the club?

I am quite content with what we have accomplished with TFC, and I wouldn't trade that in for the world. We will continue to get better as we grow older, and new teams have already begun looking at us as a model for success.

Now lets make it into the playoffs and show the MLS what it is like to be loud on the water.

Keystone FC
12-18-2008, 04:55 PM
We need not concern ourselves with whether Sounders support will be better than TFC's. How exactly can it be? Better coordination of fans? Better away trip planning? Better coverage of all things to do with the club?

I am quite content with what we have accomplished with TFC, and I wouldn't trade that in for the world. We will continue to get better as we grow older, and new teams have already begun looking at us as a model for success.

Now lets make it into the playoffs and show the MLS what it is like to be loud on the water.

Agree. We only need to make sure that we are doing what we can to make BMO a hostile place for opponents and away games just like BMO.

Having STH 's in Seattle com out in force like they have is just great for MLS and the Sounders. The passion for the Sounders in the stands....we'll have to wait and see.
The thing I will say is DCU has always had the passion and then we come along and help raise the bar. If Seattle and Philly (can't wait for 2010) can come in with the same gusto then this can only make other clubs supporters step up.
I think we are looking at a totally different MLS, fan wise, by 2010.

J .
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
We overrate ourselves...anyway, It will be depend on the rules in place and if all the crazies are in one section, how organized they are etc.

Bars92
12-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I don't think they'll be half as good as ripping off European football songs as us. Bring it on Seahawks FC!