PDA

View Full Version : Nutralite Canadian Championship?

kodiakTFC
12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Do you guys think that they well release ticket packages for the NCC like they did last season? My assumption is yes because if 16000 season tickets were sold, which include NCC games in them, that theres 4500 tickets for each NCC game because they aren't a part of the partial packages. I am hoping they do sell them separate because the NCC games are the ones I want to see the most.

EDIT: Packages A, B, D, E actually get 1 NCC game. However, this still leaves quite a bit of NCC tickets.

shawn6597
12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
im pretty sure each partial gets one NCC game.

BuSaPuNk
12-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Yep 1 NCC game per package

shawn6597
12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
tickets should likely be a bit easier to get for these games (compared to regular league games) as theyre typically mid-week yeah?

Fort York Redcoat
12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
k, there will be tix available. Even if the ones left over are few after seasons and packages have em people will look to sell them on the trader.

But I'm with you. I got my packages to get both games. The package offering the friendly was not on my radar.

BuSaPuNk
12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Is there any word on who we play for the friendly yet? Or is it annouced when the full schedual comes out?

ilikemusic
12-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I dont know how exactly these sales went last year, but season ticket holders definately did not snatch up all the tickets they could. I got 4 seats in 115 last year for both home games and im only a partial season ticket holder.

JonO
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
^^ Last year the tickets were not included in the season seat package. This year they are...

giambac
12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
k, there will be tix available. Even if the ones left over are few after seasons and packages have em people will look to sell them on the trader.

But I'm with you. I got my packages to get both games. The package offering the friendly was not on my radar.

I will be selling my CC games on this board. I'm not a fan of these matches and I think the whole tournament set up is a joke. I mean there are only 3 teams from Canada competing for a one spot. That's not a tournamnet. Right off the bat you have a 33.33% chance of qualifying.

Keep posted because my tickets to these games will be available.

AL-MO
12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I will be selling my CC games on this board. I'm not a fan of these matches and I think the whole tournament set up is a joke. I mean there are only 3 teams from Canada competing for a one spot. That's not a tournamnet. Right off the bat you have a 33.33% chance of qualifying.

Keep posted because my tickets to these games will be available.

You have to start from somewhere GB.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Even with only three teams, I like the setup. A typical game in this tournament is WAY more meaningful than your average MLS game. With Montreal winning last year's contest, I look forward to watching this year's grudge match in person.:D

giambac
12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
You have to start from somewhere GB.

Agreed,

however open it up to other teams/leagues around the country who could and would compete for the spot. I'm sure there are other teams that could surprise people just as Montreal did last year to us.

Beach_Red
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Agreed,

however open it up to other teams/leagues around the country who could and would compete for the spot. I'm sure there are other teams that could surprise people just as Montreal did last year to us.

Yes, it would be great to see more teams in this.

Pookie
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I think you'll find quite a few available.

I'm looking at bringing my son's soccer team down as a group for one of the matches and was told by the Account Rep that it wouldn't be an issue.

We did the same last year and scooped up 16 tickets about a week before the match.

nfitz
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I will be selling my CC games on this board. I'm not a fan of these matches and I think the whole tournament set up is a joke.I actually look forward to these matches more than the regular matches (for each one is worth far more than a regular match). In my opinion, the final Montreal versus Toronto game at BMO Field was perhaps the most important and nail-biting game we've ever played.

Cashcleaner
12-17-2008, 06:10 PM
I too have more emotion vested into these matches than anything else during the season. Sure, you can complain that playing only two other teams is bush league, but the competition opens up the possibility of playing against a whole slew of other teams that we would never get a chance to play outside of CONCACAF Champions League.

V-Cup may not be perfect, but who cares? The potential of winning in CONCACAF outweighs the fact that we only play Vancouver and Montreal to get to the tourney.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
I too have more emotion vested into these matches than anything else during the season. Sure, you can complain that playing only two other teams is bush league, but the competition opens up the possibility of playing against a whole slew of other teams that we would never get a chance to play outside of CONCACAF Champions League.

V-Cup may not be perfect, but who cares? The potential of winning in CONCACAF outweighs the fact that we only play Vancouver and Montreal to get to the tourney.

dont get me wrong....i love this Nutralite CC....But if i had a choice right now...if TFC winning MLS or Nutralite CC....

Hand's down MLS! .....my opinion anyway..:rolleyes:

shawn6597
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM

agreed. well said. plus I fucking hate Montreal, more so than columbus, chicago or any MLS douchbag team - in fact i think i hate anything not named Toronto FC
:noidea:

Azerban
12-17-2008, 06:29 PM
the format could be improved, but if you skip it you're still ten kinds of stupid

TorCanSoc
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I love it, more than regular season games. You won't find too many floating around. Its part of our ticket package. Last year it was a separate purchase.

One thing though, its early I know. But it should it not be open to ALL professional clubs, including the CSL (formerly the CPSL). And there is a smaller pro league out west no? In any case, if those teams had a tournament to determine a representative from them. Not sure if that would water it down, or provide excitement to the lesser club.

One of the big things of the FA cup is the david and goliath match. Cool or stupid in our context, not sure.

Cashcleaner
12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
^ Oh for sure, I'm really liking the idea of adding the winner of the CSL and maybe the top-ranked Canadian PDL team.

Heck, would it be doable to include CIS as well?

TorCanSoc
12-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic at all. But I forgot about the PDL teams. I actually can't name one, besides the Lynx. A tournament for CSL, PDL, and indeed the top CIS team for the one fourth spot in the NCC. I think it woudl be cool.

Toronto FC v. Andrea Lombardo's York Lions. ha ha.

rocker
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I actually look forward to these matches more than the regular matches (for each one is worth far more than a regular match). In my opinion, the final Montreal versus Toronto game at BMO Field was perhaps the most important and nail-biting game we've ever played.

ya, my nervousness and hate was higher for Montreal at BMO than any regular season game.
I mean when TFC scored the first goal, it was such an orgasm in the stands. And then that last 20 minutes was unbelievable.. TFC sent a barrage of chances on goal and Montreal did almost nothing at our (north) end.

Even if it was a friendly it'd mean more to me than playing KC or San Jose.... if anything, the CC games mean more, since there are fewer of them. What's 1 league game of 30 in the middle of the season compared to that?

And I actually developed a quick animosity for Vancouver. That surprised me. I thought I'd be pretty nonchalant about Vancouver but it didn't take long to hate them too.

Cashcleaner
12-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic at all. But I forgot about the PDL teams. I actually can't name one, besides the Lynx. A tournament for CSL, PDL, and indeed the top CIS team for the one fourth spot in the NCC. I think it would be cool.

No, it wasn't sarcasm. Victoria has a PDL team, which is why I thought of it as well.

AL-MO
12-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic at all. But I forgot about the PDL teams. I actually can't name one, besides the Lynx. A tournament for CSL, PDL, and indeed the top CIS team for the one fourth spot in the NCC. I think it woudl be cool.

I would expand further than that, but I think slow growth over time is key, rather than just opening it up for everyone and having clubs/teams without the financial abilities fucking up the tournament.

Pinkie
12-17-2008, 08:11 PM
I was certainly super excited when i found out tournament tickets would be included in my seasons...and as stated before, if you purposely dont come to these games then youre totaly missing out.best games of the year i thought

rocker
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
and a reminder: Montreal still hasn't beat TFC yet. got that people? ;)
too many Montreal fans keep talking like they actually won a game against us.

let's keep that streak alive next year!

giambac
12-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I would expand further than that, but I think slow growth over time is key, rather than just opening it up for everyone and having clubs/teams without the financial abilities fucking up the tournament.

I wouldn't open it to anyone. However they defietly should expand it to more teams.

As a comparison, my son plays rep ball. Last year they entered the oOtario Cup and played against teams below their level, teams at their level and teams above their league level. They upset several teams and made it (lost) in the Cup finals.

It created excitement and proved on any given day anyone team can win. That's the format the CC should have. For me tyou lose credibility in having only 3 teams.

Just my opinion.

Cashcleaner
12-17-2008, 08:31 PM
^ You do make a good point about it. Apparently, the format could be changed as early as 2010 so we might see more teams admitted sooner rather than later.

Yohan
12-17-2008, 08:39 PM
It'd be cool if it turned into Canadian tournament, to expand to maybe 6 teams (and why not? Yank teams already play helluva lot of other games, IE US open cup, Superliga, etc)

Only problem I see is the logistics. Nobody likes playing games in the winter

Beach_Red
12-17-2008, 08:43 PM
It created excitement and proved on any given day anyone team can win. That's the format the CC should have. For me tyou lose credibility in having only 3 teams.

Yes, I think there should be more teams in the tournament, but I have to say, so far there's no credibility to lose - it's just starting to be built up.

If there are still only 3 teams in the tournament in 5 years then it will start to lose credibility.

How would you determine what teams to let in now?

kodiakTFC
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
some of you think mls is more important than the NCC but what about this.

Would you rather win:

The MLS or The Champions League

TorCanSoc
12-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Champion's League. I think the Champion's League is a new format to an old tournament. Yes we're in the MLS and a championship should be coveted. But man, a shot to win the CCL and go to the FIFA Club World Championships just turns my crank.

Azerban
12-18-2008, 01:02 AM

Would you rather win:

If I could put all the trophies we could possibly ever win in order of importance for me it would be;

Club World Cup (god I hope this gets popular because it really could be awesome watching a 16 or 32 team tournament once every 4 years with all the best clubs from around the world) > Champions League > Supporters Shield > Canada Cup > MLS Cup > Superliga > Shit Cups (like whatever we have with Columbus)

Fiin
12-18-2008, 04:46 AM

We all said the same about Vancouver and Montreal last yr.. and the rest is history.

Brooker
12-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Montreal at Toronto was insanity. if you skip it again this time around, you're out of your mind.

I missed out on the Montreal away trip and i sure as fuck won't make that mistake again.

I'm speechless when I see some people are unexcited about those games. they are truly dead inside.

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Montreal at Toronto was insanity. if you skip it again this time around, you're out of your mind.

I missed out on the Montreal away trip and i sure as fuck won't make that mistake again.

I'm speechless when I see some people are unexcited about those games. they are truly dead inside.

I completely agree. I'm looking forward more to the trip to Montreal than a trip to Columbus, Chicago, or NY Shite.....It's just a rivarly that is built on nothing which is great....

Miko
12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Love to see it become our version of the FA cup.

Any team can enter, one and done, TFC, MON and VAN come in at the quarter final stage.

giambac
12-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Would you rather win:

I prefer the MLS traophy where you have to beat 16 teams way more important than winning the Canada cup challenge which consists of ONLY 3 TEAMS 2OF WHICH PLAY IN A OWER LEAGUE!

pubboy
12-18-2008, 09:34 AM
One of the big attractions of the FA Cup in England, is the fact that all teams get to particpate, including part time teams, semi-professionals, and even amateur teams. The fairy tale of non-league clubs progressing through to the rounds where the Premiership big boys join - HUGE emotions.
I agree they should open this up to all teams in Canada. Help create some passion with a domestic trophy.

redcard
12-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I prefer the MLS traophy where you have to beat 16 teams way more important than winning the Canada cup challenge which consists of ONLY 3 TEAMS 2OF WHICH PLAY IN A OWER LEAGUE!

well its a lower league team that won and that advanced in the CL...

Mark in Ottawa
12-18-2008, 09:57 AM
2 OF WHICH PLAY IN A OWER LEAGUE!
Lower league but in this case not lower quality teams on the day.

rocker
12-18-2008, 10:01 AM
i love it when people complain about the CC quality even though they willingly bought the tickets and then chose to sell them to others and not attend (giambac)... maybe if you attended you'd have a different impression of it.

Cashcleaner
12-18-2008, 10:13 AM
^ Thats crazy talk, rocker.

nfitz
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
well its a lower league team that won and that advanced in the CL...Given Champions League play this year, it's not clear which is the lower league. 4 MLS teams and 2 USL teams qualified for the Champions League. Two MLS teams (New England and Chivas) were quickly eliminated in the preliminary round by teams that the USL teams both went on to beat. Both USL teams survived the group stage easily, while only one MLS team barely survived the group stage.

It's only one competition, but based on this and the Canada Championship, the stronger USL teams (which were Montreal, Vancouver, and Puerto Rico last season) seem to be more than a match for most MLS teams. No Montreal didn't beat Toronto last season, and Toronto did beat Montreal - but that game in Montreal was a pretty poor game for both sides - and Montreal came into Toronto needing only a draw to qualify ahead of Toronto - and that they did.

I really don't think the players themselves are any better, but having a full (28?) roster compared to 18, makes it a lot easier, when you are playing 3 games a week, as Montreal did at the end of the season. I very much doubt TFC would have done as well as Montreal in the Champions League - though I really regret that we didn't have the opportunity.

Hitcho
12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
A more genuine Canadian tournament would be interesting for sure, but couple of points to think about:

1. the number of additional teams being touted could lead to a fixture nightmare for TFC. I am 100% dead against anything that leads to that, so we'd have to find a way around it. MLS remains the "bread and butter" and that needs to be accounted for. Maybe a random draw knockout tourney or something could work? Winner gets the Canada Cup trophy and a place in CONCACAF. A league format would be too difficult to accomodate.

2. forgot what mty second point was, but it qas a good one. i think.

anyway, i like the CC tourney and will definitely be going to the games. last season i was worried that with our sqaud entering CONCACAF would kill us the following year in the league. but now we have De Ro, and IF we sign a designated poacher and a top CB from outside MLS, then I think we'd be much better equipped to cope with it. Sweet!!!

rocker
12-18-2008, 10:40 AM
whether or not the CC has enough games to be considered "legit" compared to the FA cup or something doesn't really matter to me. The point is, when I'm watching Montreal and Vancouver against TFC, I'm engrossed in the match. I'm not in BMO saying "man, there's only 3 teams in this tourney, it's so lame!" and watching the games quietly.

That's the true test of it. And it works for me. Those 2 games at BMO were probably my favourite TFC matches of the year. That's I need to know about the credibility of the CC tourney.

If they want to satisfy the purists and add a 4th team through a separate qualifying tournament that Vanny, MTL and TFC don't have to play in, that's fine by me. For the size of soccer in this country, that sounds about the max it should be. If Ottawa gets and MLS team, the four teams should be those. but given Montreal has done in the greater Champions League, I think it accomplishes its purpose of getting a competitive canadian team to the big stage.

Fort York Redcoat
12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
People piss and moan about the validity of the the league (myself a ringleader in this) and this competition enables direct comparisons between leagues and clubs. I think the Canadian teams in the American Soccer pyramid (MLS, USL, PDL) are more likely to be added than CSL although the relations are building (TFC Academy).

This competition gets SO much stick for jamming the schedule but it's the only way the worlds best clubs can match up.

My question would be Why have patience for MLS but not the CC?

TFC v Columbus in MLS Cup?
TFC v (your favourite foreign team in the world) for the WCC?

What would you travel further for?

invictusTFC
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I think they should include the CPSL Champion into the mix since it is recognized as a "semi" pro league.