PDA

View Full Version : Michael D'Agostino released from Blackpool

Merlin
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
The young Canadian midfield was released today...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D%27Agostino

Stryker
12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
So not interested.

werewolf
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Article from team site -

http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10432~1490434,00.html

Merlin
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Just thinking, he's a young Canadian midfielder... Dev?

Stryker
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I think offering him a developmental would be kicking sand in his face no?
I don't know anything about him but it kinda looks like he just doesnt have the chops.

Lucky Strike
12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I honestly don't see much room for him at TFC. It's too bad for him though, you always want to see Canadians do well.

deschamp86
12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Says he was released by mutual consent, so I assume he has some kind of deal with a team in the works.

Boschmeister
12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
More info on him:

http://www.answers.com/topic/michael-d-agostino-1

Super
12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Quality is more important than nationality. If we lower our standards to bring in a whole bunch of Canadians it will hurt us in the long run. We got DeRo, now it's time to sign a star striker -- and personally I'd prefer for that guy to not be on a national team as well (so English, French, Italian, German, etc - and not from a small country where he'd be called up 6 times a season).

deschamp86
12-16-2008, 06:45 PM
My guess is he'll turn up at the Whitecaps. He'd probably be a pretty good signing for them.

sulfur
12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
So should be found in either the Canadian soccer or the news section. :)

TFC OZZ
12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Why would it hurt to bring the guy in on trial??

I say give the guy a shot, and he may impress. There are so many factors that have to be taken into account, what's to say he won't come here and impress?

neuf
12-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Why would it hurt to bring the guy in on trial??

I say give the guy a shot, and he may impress. There are so many factors that have to be taken into account, what's to say he won't come here and impress?

I agree. It is nearly impossible to assess talent via a wikipedia article for a player that is still young.

jloome
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
CHeltenham loved him; he'll get picked up by another side there yet, if he featured in 25 games while on loan. Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but he'd probably turn TFC down if approached.

Stryker
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
CHeltenham loved him; he'll get picked up by another side there yet, if he featured in 25 games while on loan. Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but he'd probably turn TFC down if approached.

Dude its Blackpool. Mid teir championship team. They ain't that much better than us.
Now if he'd been punted from say... Arsenal or Chelsea reserves it'd be a whole different story.

Keyman
12-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Having seen him play, I would give him a look if he agreed to it.

jloome
12-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Dude its Blackpool. Mid teir championship team. They ain't that much better than us.
Now if he'd been punted from say... Arsenal or Chelsea reserves it'd be a whole different story.

Again, are you not aware of the restrictions relative to playing in the MLS? Why would a player who could resign in the Championship or League One consider coming to Toronto at his age? In the CCC, he's pretty much guaranteed even as a reserve team player to make more than he will here. In League One, he might make more and START. And he's a kid.

So if I"m his agent, MLS is the last place I"d look. If he were five years old and already a starter at some level over there, looking for a better deal or regular playing time, sure. But he's not going to start over here, in all likelihood, if for age and experience alone.

So having taken all that into account, you still think he'd seriously look at Toronto as an option? To be a backup for $34,000 a year, if he's lucky?

Toronto Ruffrider
12-16-2008, 11:26 PM

If our team is good enough for DeRo, it's good enough for Michael D'Agostino.:D

Yohan
12-16-2008, 11:47 PM
If our team is good enough for DeRo, it's good enough for Michael D'Agostino.:D
This kid is also not going to get offered 400k/yr contract :p

Halifax.T.F.C.fan
12-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Bring The Canadian Home

rocker
12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
if he wants to come and play for peanuts, by all means welcome him ;)
i have never seen the guy play so I have no idea. I also don't know if TFC has ever contacted him or what his opinion would be of returning to Canada. lastly, he ain't from toronto so if he comes here he's probably more likely to hook up with his home town team, the Whitecraps.

VPjr
12-18-2008, 09:19 PM
D'Agostino is a very good player. He was injured for a long spell this year and wasn't getting much of an opportunity. I am quite sure he's got something lined up where he'll be able to play.

i don't foresee him coming home but I didn't think Haber would come home either but he's with Whitecaps academy right now so who knows. Its a good program, they are the USL champs and in a couple of years, they could very well be in MLS...time will tell.

deschamp86
12-18-2008, 09:38 PM
D'Agostino is a very good player. He was injured for a long spell this year and wasn't getting much of an opportunity. I am quite sure he's got something lined up where he'll be able to play.

i don't foresee him coming home but I didn't think Haber would come home either but he's with Whitecaps academy right now so who knows. Its a good program, they are the USL champs and in a couple of years, they could very well be in MLS...time will tell.

So had Haber officially signed with the Caps? Or is he just training with them? If he has, its about time. He's been floating around far too long for a guy his age.

VPjr
12-20-2008, 02:07 PM
^ according to a Whitecaps player I keep in touch with, it looks like he's just training with them right now and might play some games in the Vancouver Metrol Soccer League for the team the Whitecaps have playing in that league (mostly academy kids and reserves I think).

We'll see what happens with Haber...he scored for Canada the other day vs. Haiti...

VPjr
12-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Follow up on my post of the other day:

- D'Agostino most definitely has some opportunities back in Europe to latch on with other clubs, hence why he sought to escape his contract with Blackpool.

- Will Johnson's success with RSL has caused SOME young Canadian players to give MLS some more consideration, assuming the money is acceptable and playing time is assured.

J .
12-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Would be nice to have Will on the club....I would love a 100% Canadian lineup that wins.

Derko
12-22-2008, 09:23 PM

He will likely stay put in England.
A decent player that would do well in the MLS, but as was posted, can probably make more in England.

VPjr
12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
He will likely stay put in England.
A decent player that would do well in the MLS, but as was posted, can probably make more in England.

at this stage in his young career, I think the most important thing for a player is to find a team where 1st team playing time can be provided. Whether that is in Europe, North America or even Asia, playing time is paramount

The money in Europe is certainly better but I'm certain the same could have been said about Will Johnson, who chose to take a bit less money to ensure that he gets to play quality minutes week in and week out, which wasn't happening for him in Europe.

It will be interesting to see what D'Agostino decides to do. Wherever he goes, I hope he finds a good club situation.