PDA

View Full Version : A little Maurice Edu News...

TFCREDNWHITE
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM
more here: http://www.mauriceedu.com/edu/index

I think Rangers were NEVER duped in the deal....They know exactly what they are getting and they know exactly how they want to mold him in to the type of player they want him to be...

Vital Rangers Maurice Edu Profile

Maurice Edu was another summer signing that Walter Smith seemed to pull out of his sleeve, before the press got wind of the link as he signed from Toronto FC who are managed by none other than ex Gers and Celtic Legend Mo Johnstone.

It was apparently Mo Johnstone who first alerted Walter about the powerful 6ft1' American Defensive Midfielder, who at the age of 22 has broken into the National Squad and is a permanent feature beside the likes of Clint Dempsey of Fulham and Rangers winger DeMarcas Beasley in a strong U.S.A. Team.

I must admit when I heard we had signed Edu I thought of former Arsenal midfielder Edu which I later found out many others had also.

So why did Walter splash nearly 3 million pounds for the pacey holding midfielder ? He has not much experience, yet has earned 14 Caps for the USA and Walter was obviously impressed with video footage and he then sent Ewan Chester out to watch the kid play.

Along with reassurance from Beasley and Mo Johnstone, Walter spoke with Edu and was impressed with his attitude and explained to him that he would not just walk into the side.

The big Yank is seen to be a stand in for the now out of favour former Gers Holding player Hemdani and Smith has watched Edu in training and in bounce games stating he has good vision and is very quick and powerful, he is young and is willing to learn and will be a good player to have in the squad, he played against Hamilton on Tuesday night and I felt he was very impressive as did many other fans. He was getting from box to box sharply and also finding players with decent passes and was not scared to have a shot at goal..

After such a good game mid week it will be hard for Wattie to drop him but with the return of Captain Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson meant to be fit again he will probably fall back onto the bench, but has surely given Walter food for thought as he looked very confident in his role in the Cup match..
'I am happy and the team are doing so well right now," Edu said on MauriceEdu.com. "We`re winning so it`s not often you make changes when the team is winning."

Rangers are currently in second place in the SPL and the 2007 MLS Rookie of the Year also understands that when the time comes he needs to be ready.

"My mentality right now is just to be patient and wait for my chance," Edu said. "I`m just looking forward to getting back in the team and showing them what I can do."

Despite the lack of game experience Edu seems to be enjoying life overseas.

'I thought I played quite well against Hamilton, but I realize I was just in as cover.'
'The fans are very passionate. They`re real diehards,' he said ' When I first arrived I could not believe the taxi driver knew who I was and that the crowd were chanting my name, the noise they make is great and they make you feel wanted, I think they are more passionate than Americans are on Baseball or American Football, I have never heard anything like this.'

The big lad is sure to make an impact when his time comes and after playing 38 games and scoring 5 times for Toronto in the MLSSuperdraft League, he spoke with Beasley about Rangers and could not wait for the move to happen, he had heard of the Club but never realized how big we were and how large a fan base we had. No matter how much Mo Jo told him and showed him until his first experience at the Old Firm Derby he thought it was more hyped up, now he can safely say he has landed at one of the biggest teams in the World and looks forward to an exciting career and hopes to be a part of a Rangers squad in European football next season he says as well as winning some medals this year.

The Kansas born American could have a bright future at Rangers if he is willing to bide his time, and going by his attitude, he is the perfect student for the Rangers coaches to bring into the new look Gers régime.

Good Luck Mo.

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
"The big Yank" // "The big lad" ??!!

He's not that big!

Roogsy
12-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Why do they keep adding an "e" to Mo's name in UK articles? Is that accurate and we have it wrong?

Roogsy
12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
"The big Yank" // "The big lad" ??!!

He's not that big!

6'1" is taller than the average player size who I'd peg at 5'11" to 6feet. It's the short players that skew the numbers.

werewolf
12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
who was born in Kansas?

Roogsy
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
LMAO!

WTF?

Apparently accuracy isn't important in UK sports articles.

GingerNinja
12-16-2008, 11:01 AM
who was born in Kansas?

http://www.otrcat.com/z/wizardofoztoto.jpg

jabbronies
12-16-2008, 11:01 AM
"..after playing 38 games and scoring 5 times for Toronto in the MLSSuperdraft League"

?? So is the MLS seen as just a league for Euro teams to draft from??

Beach_Red
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
"..after playing 38 games and scoring 5 times for Toronto in the MLSSuperdraft League"

Isn't that how they see every other league in the world?

Toronto_Bhoy
12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Wasn't Mo JohnSTONE the manager of Bedrock FC?

Roogsy
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
^ Hey that's MY joke! LOL!

sully
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
"It was apparently Mo Johnstone who first alerted Walter about the powerful 6ft1' American Defensive Midfielder....."

why would Mo take steps to move Edu out?...and in the middle of our season?

Beach_Red
12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
"It was apparently Mo Johnstone who first alerted Walter about the powerful 6ft1' American Defensive Midfielder....."

Five Million Dollars.

GingerNinja
12-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Five Million Dollars.

http://lawncare.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/16/05_grass_seed_faqs.jpg

TFCREDNWHITE
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
If you read one of the other articles, you'll see that Rangers never bought him with the intention of starting him just yet...I think they expect him to start next year sometime...

jabbronies
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Mo isn't an idiot. He's going to approach teams on his terms..rather than teams coming in and taking players on thier terms.

At least by going to them first, he knows when his player will be departing and he can come up with a plan to replace that player. whereas in the other scenario, his player is gone, he has a hole in the lineup that he can't fill.

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
6'1" is taller than the average player size who I'd peg at 5'11" to 6feet. It's the short players that skew the numbers.

Roogsy, are you seriously trying to tell me that 6'1" is significantly taller for a player than 6'0'?! :p

Toronto_Bhoy
12-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Rangers' manager Walter Smith is under a lot of heat for the Edu signing [among others] especially because Maurice is struggling to even make the bench.

There will be a clearout at Ibrox in January…perhaps he'll see more action [I certainly hope so!].

TFCREDNWHITE
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Rangers' manager Walter Smith is under a lot of heat for the Edu signing [among others] especially because Maurice is struggling to even make the bench.

There will be a clearout at Ibrox in January…perhaps he'll see more action [I certainly hope so!].

Well that's kinda weird, because it seems that they actually bought him with the intention of NOT having him start yet....I think they were looking at having him gun for a starting 11 role next year...am i wrong??

Dirk Diggler
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Well that's kinda weird, because it seems that they actually bought him with the intention of NOT having him start yet....I think they were looking at having him gun for a starting 11 role next year...am i wrong??

No one brings in players NOT to start...if they impress, they will play.

Blazer
12-16-2008, 12:13 PM
By “big” they are referring to his potential. “Big” as in up and coming American star.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-16-2008, 12:20 PM
No one brings in players NOT to start...if they impress, they will play.

Rich clubs usually buy their depth players also!

VPjr
12-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Mo was still pretty raw when he was with TFC. If he was a more complete player, he would have sold for more money. Look at what Villareal paid for Altidore (who, in fairness, is younger and has even more upside)

Edu will be just fine at Rangers eventually but their coaches need to invest the time to break his many bad habits and develop his skills more fully (he can't simply rely on his raw athleticism).

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 12:48 PM
By “big” they are referring to his potential. “Big” as in up and coming American star.

yeah, could be, although there was a specific reference to his height in there too, so you might be giving the writer more credit than he/she deserves Blazer! :D

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
http://lawncare.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/16/05_grass_seed_faqs.jpg

Hah - this looks Carver's new movie - "MoJo, I Shrunk the Players"

TFCREDNWHITE
12-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Mo was still pretty raw when he was with TFC. If he was a more complete player, he would have sold for more money. Look at what Villareal paid for Altidore (who, in fairness, is younger and has even more upside)

Edu will be just fine at Rangers eventually but their coaches need to invest the time to break his many bad habits and develop his skills more fully (he can't simply rely on his raw athleticism).

Agreed! i value and respect ur opinion of talent...over the year i notice by ur posts that u have very keen eye for the details that go unnoticed by many! Cheers

MUFC_Niagara
12-16-2008, 01:47 PM

Why wouldn't would they? This league is a joke. The MLS hierarchy doesn't even take it's own league seriously, why should the rest of the world. The clincher for Edu was probably that he no longer had to miss club games to play for his country. If I were a player, i'd move out of the league based on that alone.

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
^^^ Well if you feel that strongly about it dude, just remove the right half of your avatar and be done with it! :p

Blazer
12-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah but the word "big" is not used in a sentence that speaks of his stature so I’m not sure you can make the connection. My first inclination of “big” was in reference to his potential until people in here mentioned his physical size (6'1"). I wasn’t thinking that way myself but I suppose it could be interpreted in the literal sense too?! I received it as his potential and the fact that he's a national player more than the physical size suggestion. Whatever.

Could be a brit thing, who knows.

greatwhitenorf
12-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Why wouldn't would they? This league is a joke. The MLS hierarchy doesn't even take it's own league seriously, why should the rest of the world. The clincher for Edu was probably that he no longer had to miss club games to play for his country. If I were a player, i'd move out of the league based on that alone.

Yeah, I'm with Hitcho. What in the world is a man of your stature doing slumming 'round these parts. Could we hold the door open for you, your Lordship?