PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Harmse - Keep him or ditch him?

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I just wanted to start a thread about how garbage Kevin Harmse is...I think we should trade him for more allocation money or something else.

How many people think he more suited for the USL rather MLS....

Roogsy
12-15-2008, 03:00 PM
I voted incorrectly. I voted yes, when I meant to vote no.

I am not saying Harmse has skill...but he is good enough to come off the bench when we are thin. He is definitely not a starter, but his salary is so small, we wouldn't get much cap space for him anyways.

He's cheap, he's Canadian and he can fill in. That's all I want from him.

GabrielHurl
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
He's a better version of Poz

invictusTFC
As a midfielder, he was pure shite. However, when he played at CB for those last few games, he did well IMO. I'm not saying that he should start at CB, but he did show some much needed versatility. This and the fact that he is Canadian and cheap make him a suitable bench player. With DeRo, Guevara, Robbo, Ricketts and perhaps a new DP we have adequate quality. This team can always use a little sandpaper too.

TFCREDNWHITE
I voted incorrectly. I voted yes, when I meant to vote no.

I am not saying Harmse has skill...but he is good enough to come off the bench when we are thin. He is definitely not a starter, but his salary is so small, we wouldn't get much cap space for him anyways.

He's cheap, he's Canadian and he can fill in. That's all I want from him.

hhmmmm good point....but i'm not completely sold.

Cashcleaner
Nothing wrong with some experienced depth. I don't think we're paying much for him, anyway.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
People are so quick to forget all the cards he cost us...

Shaughno
12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
As a midfielder yes. I don't remember a single card from when he was a defender.

And you seem to forget that he's not the only one to get cards. Guevara has quite the temper as well, Velez, and even Brennan have taken stupid cards.

Oldtimer
12-15-2008, 03:05 PM

He's less versatile. Poz can play any position except GK. I would only play Harmse in back. Harmse is more skilled than Poz, when you play him in D.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
As a midfielder yes. I don't remember a single card from when he was a defender.

And you seem to forget that he's not the only one to get cards. Guevara has quite the temper as well, Velez, and even Brennan have taken stupid cards.

I remember correctly, didn't he get burned at least a handful of times even as a defender???? I'm pretty sure i remember him costing us a goal...

GabrielHurl
12-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I remember correctly, didn't he get burned at least a handful of times even as a defender???? I'm pretty sure i remember him costing us a goal...

a lot of our defenders cost us goals this year

Shaughno
12-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Sutton cost us many goals, want him gone to?

Listen, he's not great.. or even good. What he is, is a player who costs us very little and can play anywhere in the mid or preferably defence.

He doesn't cost us an Int'l spot nor hurt our salary cap, at best he's a fill in defender. At worst, he sits on the bench.

H Bomb
12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I know this is a discussion board but why are we starting "Fuck random player" threads. Who cares what you think of Kevin Harmse...who cares what I think about Kevin Harmse... "you remember him costing us a goal"? That's everyone on the team last year bud, go to big soccer with this bored bullshit.

zeelaw
12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Cheap, Canuck, can fit into midfield if needed.... and showed promise after playing CB later in the season.

RedRum
12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Like Roogsy said, versatile domestic player who comes cheaply. I think most would agree that his discipline was alot better than we feared it would be. Keep him.

Besides, someone goes after DeRo or our DP and needs a leg broken, Harmse will be only too willing ;)

invictusTFC
12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Sutton cost us many goals, want him gone to?

Listen, he's not great.. or even good. What he is, is a player who costs us very little and can play anywhere in the mid or preferably defence.

He doesn't cost us an Int'l spot nor hurt our salary cap, at best he's a fill in defender. At worst, he sits on the bench.

QFFT...

I don't think anything more needs to be said.

Lucky Strike
12-15-2008, 03:16 PM
As a midfielder, he was pure shite. However, when he played at CB for those last few games, he did well IMO. I'm not saying that he should start at CB, but he did show some much needed versatility. This and the fact that he is Canadian and cheap make him a suitable bench player. With DeRo, Guevara, Robbo, Ricketts and perhaps a new DP we have adequate quality. This team can always use a little sandpaper too.

+1 on all that.

Shaughno
12-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I know this is a discussion board but why are we starting "Fuck random player" threads. Who cares what you think of Kevin Harmse...who cares what I think about Kevin Harmse... "you remember him costing us a goal"? That's everyone on the team last year bud, go to big soccer with this bored bullshit.

A fucking men. Guess what, he's a TFC player. No need to start pointless threads just to kill time. There's an off topic section, or BigSoccer preferably. Use it.

Lucky Strike
12-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Yes, but he was burned because he was not completely familiar with the position. It will certainly get better as he gets experience.

VPjr
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM

No....sorry...he's not.

Poz is a better player...hands down.

In a rough and tumble league like MLS, Harmse might be able to stick around with some team but he's absolutely nothing special. Absolutely no ball skills to speak of.

invictusTFC
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
There's other players on this team who were more deserving of our collective ire than Harmse. Velez was horribly inconsistent and was directly responsible for a host of goals against this past season. Cunningham set the record for futility while wearing our colours. Brennan's wing was like a open freeway for opposing attackers during large stretches of the season. Both Guevara and Ricketts who were arguable our most talented players floated in and out of games like it was their job. Every player mentioned above cost this club more money than Harmse.

jloome
12-15-2008, 03:24 PM
No....sorry...he's not.

Poz is a better player...hands down.

In a rough and tumble league like MLS, Harmse might be able to stick around with some team but he's absolutely nothing special. Absolutely no ball skills to speak of.

Oh bollocks. When we started him for a couple of games in the mid due to absences he did fine, made some runs, put a few decent through balls in, and drew a really good foul with some ball skills.

He's not as bad as he gets stick for on the boards, and he's not good enough to be starting centre half either. The truth as usual lies in between. He's a roleplaying defensive player. But to say he lacks any ball skills is exaggeration.

Damien
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
He's Canadian, can come off the bench, and has a low salary. Keep Him.

GabrielHurl
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
oh - I forgot - it was a cardinal sin to say something about Pozniak on here

flatpicker
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry, but for awhile there I thought we were getting better at giving threads titles that weren't overly opinionated.
So I have to bring this up again...
Naming a thread Kevin Harmse has no Quality will lead many to assume that this is an opinion shared by all RPB.
Such negative thoughts should be expressed within the thread as they may not necessarily reflect the opinions of the rest of us.

Damien
12-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry, but for awhile there I thought we were getting better at giving threads titles that weren't overly opinionated.
So I have to bring this up again...
Naming a thread Kevin Harmse has no Quality will lead many to assume that this is an opinion shared by all RPB.
Such negative thoughts should be expressed within the thread as they may not necessarily reflect the opinions of the rest of us.

Renamed.

rocker
12-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I never saw much in Poz myself. I think Poz and Harmse are space fillers, with Harmse coming cheaper. Poz made his share of mistakes, including pulling down a player that led directly to a penalty kick (anyone still remember the first season?? ;) he was a better midfielder than defender, even though I thought he was naturally a defender.

Let's not forget Poz was 1) left open in an expansion draft, 2) traded by the expansion team, san jose, that drafted him, 3) released by Chivas. So he couldn't stick around in MLS.

anyhow, the least of our worries is Poz or Harmse. neither makes a drastic difference in their presence or absence on TFC.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Oh bollocks. When we started him for a couple of games in the mid due to absences he did fine, made some runs, put a few decent through balls in, and drew a really good foul with some ball skills.

He's not as bad as he gets stick for on the boards, and he's not good enough to be starting centre half either. The truth as usual lies in between. He's a roleplaying defensive player. But to say he lacks any ball skills is exaggeration.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one....I thought i remember having a conversation with you a like 6 months ago and we were both saying how shit Harmse is??? No?

VPjr
12-15-2008, 03:37 PM

ok...for the sake of absolute journalistic accuracy, Kevin can receive the odd pass and make the odd pass but he's one of the 3 least technically adept senior roster players on the 2008 TFC roster. That's not an exaggeration in the least.

I really don't care about this guy, to be honest. I just can't accept the statement that he is more talented as Pozniak...

Jack
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Harmse is a good bench player.

He gives us some depth.

I say keep him.

As for those bitching about the discussion, what do you want? It's a thread about a TFC player on a TFC Supporters board!

Everyone's looking forward to next season and the speculation is who stays vs. who goes. Nothing wrong with that as long as we keep the discussion civil.

H Bomb
12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
As for those bitching about the discussion, what do you want? It's a thread about a TFC player on a TFC Supporters board!

Guess it's about time for that "Marco Velez is a pedophile, (seriously)" thread I had planned. :drinking:

VPjr
12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
oh - I forgot - it was a cardinal sin to say something about Pozniak on here

no...not a cardinal sin. Pozniak is not a superstar but he is a deeply underappreciated player.

I've followed Poz since he was a teenager. I've always liked his game for its quiet efficiency. If Carl Robinson wasn't on this team, I strongly believe he could have been our starting holding mid. Carl is a better player than Poz (in some facets of the game, Carl is quite a bit better than Poz, in other areas they are equal or maybe Poz is slightly better) but I don't think Poz would be a huge step down from Robbo, especially for the money.

I've spoken to many coaches who know Poz's game and they all believe he was misused by TFC in 2007. However, with a big $$ player like Robbo on the roster, he wasn't going to get the chance to play his best position.

Jack
12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Guess it's about time for that "Marco Velez is a pedophile, (seriously)" thread I had planned. :drinking:
Thread title is now "Kevin Harmse - Keep him or ditch him?"

The discussion is a valid one, though the original thread title was a bit off.

What do you think of Harmse?

jloome
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one....I thought i remember having a conversation with you a like 6 months ago and we were both saying how shit Harmse is??? No?

Not that I'm averse to people changing their minds, but not on this one. The only anti-Harmse perspective I've offered was on suggestions he might be our new starting centre back -- most of which came after three games in which he cost us two goals by hauling guys down and which is an exceedingly bad idea.

I'm saying he's not bad. But I'm not saying he's good.

H Bomb
12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
hey man...I already told ya...what I think of him don't matter. If he was having a bad game I'd be pissed at him, the opposite if good. I wont hold it against anyone here to speak their mind on it....but i do admit i dont understand it. I dont even have a job and I'm not THIS bored

GabrielHurl
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
no...not a cardinal sin. Pozniak is not a superstar but he is a deeply underappreciated player.

As was said before

Poz was
1) left open in an expansion draft,
2) traded by the expansion team - San Jose that drafted him then finally
3) released by Chivas.

Seems like he's getting unappreciated by a lot of teams

jloome
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM

I've followed Poz since he was a teenager. I've always liked his game for its quiet efficiency. If Carl Robinson wasn't on this team, I strongly believe he could have been our starting holding mid. Carl is a better player than Poz (in some facets of the game, Carl is quite a bit better than Poz, in other areas they are equal or maybe Poz is slightly better) but I don't think Poz would be a huge step down from Robbo, especially for the money.

I've spoken to many coaches who know Poz's game and they all believe he was misused by TFC in 2007. However, with a big $$ player like Robbo on the roster, he wasn't going to get the chance to play his best position.

Perhaps it's personality. He's always looked very solid to me, had a good rep at Orebro and, last I heard, was getting some playing time in Scotland. Managers can read players awfully badly sometimes, and one off-game -- combined with misreading personality issues -- can screw a player for years.

Jack
12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
hey man...I already told ya...what I think of him don't matter. If he was having a bad game I'd be pissed at him, the opposite if good. I wont hold it against anyone here to speak their mind on it....but i do admit i dont understand it. I dont even have a job and I'm not THIS bored

Again, TFC supporters talking about and debating TFC is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a common pastime of sports fans around the world.

flatpicker
12-15-2008, 03:50 PM

Everyone's looking forward to next season and the speculation is who stays vs. who goes. Nothing wrong with that as long as we keep the discussion civil.

if you're referring to my comment, it had nothing to do with the topic of discussion, it was only pertaining to the poor choice of thread title.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 03:51 PM

He gives us some depth.

I say keep him.

+1, Thank you.

Jack
12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
if you're referring to my comment, it had nothing to do with the topic of discussion, it was only pertaining to the poor choice of thread title.
Not you in particular.

The OP I think has realized that his thread title wasn't the greatest. We can continue to engage in civil discussion moving forward.

The boards are more active than they've been for quite a while, so why not keep that going? People are positive and excited about TFC (well, not about some of the players :D, but you get my meaning)

flatpicker
12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree... All I want to do is talk about TFC right now... I try talking to my girlfriend about it but she couldn't give a shit.

As for Mr. Harmse... I'm in no rush to ditch him. I think he has his uses. He wouldn't be so bad if he had a little more self control.
But there were flaws all over the team last season, so I can hardly point out Harmse as our weakest link.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Not you in particular.

The OP I think has realized that his thread title wasn't the greatest. We can continue to engage in civil discussion moving forward.

The boards are more active than they've been for quite a while, so why not keep that going? People are positive and excited about TFC (well, not about some of the players :D, but you get my meaning)

Sooo True! Its fun to say the least! I'm having a great time coming on here and discussing inner workings of our players and club. :)

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree... All I want to do is talk about TFC right now... I try talking to my girlfriend about it but she couldn't give a shit.

HAHAHAHA :D Me too!! She basically *sighs* and then walks away when i try and talk shop with her.....:rolleyes:

sulfur
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
the key is to get a gf that's into the game. :D

VPjr
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
As was said before

Poz was
1) left open in an expansion draft,
2) traded by the expansion team - San Jose that drafted him then finally
3) released by Chivas.

Seems like he's getting unappreciated by a lot of teams

I know for a fact that San Jose wanted to keep him but could not justify an international slot. If Canadians and Americans were treated equally under MLS roster rules, he'd still be an Earthquake

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Harmse should stay he needs to judge his tackling a better, and lose the red cards, but at least he plays hard..we need him

Ossington Mental Youth
12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
used to regard him as a walking red card until he did well as a cb as a result i would keep him. hes cheap, canadian as everyone else mentioned and good off the bench

Hitcho
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm in the keep him camp, for reasons set out by others above: he's cheap, he's canadian and he's a good bench player who can play DCM or CB when needed. Although his utility in that respect was greater before he was called up to the CMNT squad. Still, not bad cover for injured players. You can't have the likes of Robbo on the bench in this league, so you need the likes of Harmse there instead.

jloome
12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
HAHAHAHA :D Me too!! She basically *sighs* and then walks away when i try and talk shop with her.....:rolleyes:

Mine just nods obliquely and says things like "wow, that's great honey," without actually listening to what I'm talking about.

Jack
12-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Mine just nods obliquely and says things like "wow, that's great honey," without actually listening to what I'm talking about.
Ditto.

"TFC Again?" :noidea:

Mark in Ottawa
12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
A good depth player who John Carver obviously had confidence in.
After a rough start to his season he worked his way back onto the team.

As stated... Canadian... utility player... not costing a ton.
I say keep him and lets see how he develops under JC's tutealage (that can't be spelt right... can it :o)

trane
12-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I agree with most, he is a good depth player, he can sub in either as CB or DM. I do not love what he brings but as a bench player he is usefull.

BuSaPuNk
12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Ditto.

"TFC Again?" :noidea:

Wow I get the same thing! Or the best is the "Why do you have to watch or go to every game??" :eek:

Jack
12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Wow I get the same thing! Or the best is the "Why do you have to watch or go to every game??" :eek:

Yeah!

"You can miss one, right? Why does every weekend in the summer have to revolve around TFC?" :drinking:

BuSaPuNk
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Oh it's so true....now if I say "Why you always have to watch desperate housewives?" oh shit.....be sleeping outside....

Blizzard
12-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I just wanted to start a thread about how garbage Kevin Harmse is...I think we should trade him for more allocation money or something else.

If he is as garbage as you say, why would anybody else want him? Harmse will be fine as a depth player and occasional starter. He was better than both James and Velez last year IMO and I've absolutely no problem whatsoever with Harmse remaining with TFC!

:canada:

Blizzard
12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
I know for a fact that San Jose wanted to keep him but could not justify an international slot. If Canadians and Americans were treated equally under MLS roster rules, he'd still be an Earthquake

Fifteen starts for Dundee so far this year so at least they seem to appreciate him.

trane
12-15-2008, 11:11 PM
^Talking about the SPL, I do not think that Edu has played in a regular season game yet, maybe subed in at the end of one at best.

Pachuco
12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
6 months ago I would've said get rid of him. Somehow though, I warmed up to him as the year progressed. He's a decent utility player that don't cost much. I say keep him.

CretanBull
12-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Skill wise he's not the best, but he got better with more playing time. I'm not against having a little bit of steel in the mid-field or backline. I also don't think that taking a few cards is necessarily a bad thing.

Sonny Cheeba
12-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Fifteen starts for Dundee so far this year so at least they seem to appreciate him.

Dundee are not doing well at all right now....7th in the Scottish First Division.
I think they're just playing Poz because they have him, not out of appreciation. He's a good option for them, but they don't have much. They've also just changed management. so we'll see if there's an up in the future. but right now, i don't think it's an appreciation, more just he's just good for a first division team at the moment. My dad supports Dundee, the poor bastard, HAHAHAHA.
Dundee United are the team. he's just too stubborn to admit it.

^Talking about the SPL, I do not think that Edu has played in a regular season game yet, maybe subed in at the end of one at best.

Dundee aren't in SPL, Dundee United are. anyways,... i think Edu started agains motherwell last month but i could be wrong. he's subbed in a few of times. but i don't know if Rangers are comfortable with him yet, it's a different game over there.

nimamalek
12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
He can play almost every position on the field, and with a team like TFC who will be missing internationals again next year he is a good player to have. I also thought he played well at center back given the little experience he has back there.

Tintin
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
He can play almost every position on the field, and with a team like TFC who will be missing internationals again next year he is a good player to have. I also thought he played well at center back given the little experience he has back there.

They should NEVER play him again at CB. I think that he gave away 2 stupid penalties at crucial time when he started 2 or 3 games at that position. Center mid, once in a while for muscle, I don't mind but not CB.

He is slow and takes too many risks in his box. Liability back there. He is a good third or fourth option off the bench, maybe better if we protect a lead by clogging the middle of the pitch.

giambac
12-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Trade him for allocation money or adraft pick????

I say trade hime for a pylon or a water bottle:drinking:

To me it would be addition by subtraction.

rocker
12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I think that he gave away 2 stupid penalties at crucial time when he started 2 or 3 games at that position.

not to defend Harmse, but Harmse gave up 1 penalty kick this past season.... Wynne gave up 2.
btw, Pozniak gave up a penalty kick in 2007.

Derko
12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Harmse is a good defender off of the bench, as far as cards and costing goals, in my humble opinion the whole team has cost us goals and losses at some point, so in essence that argument is senseless and futile.
You need to have bench strength and depth.

Lucky Strike
12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Trade him for allocation money or adraft pick????

I say trade hime for a pylon or a water bottle:drinking:

To me it would be addition by subtraction.

Mr. Negativity strikes again! :D

Blizzard
12-16-2008, 06:09 PM
not to defend Harmse, but Harmse gave up 1 penalty kick this past season.... Wynne gave up 2.

He was turned badly in that last Red Bull game but as someone else here said, he will get better with experience at the back.

BTW, I liked Poz and like so many others here, I was sorry to see him go but he did frustrate me in one way. To my eye, he seemed to lack intensity.

Remember when he made that great play (I forget who we were playing) to pull a ball buy a defender and go in on goal. He should have shot but instead looked to pass. It didn't work out. A shot on goal was in order but he seemed almost afraid to shoot.

To me, that typified Poz. Perhaps that is unfair but it sticks in my mind.

Otherwise, I would have been very very happy to have kept Poz.

B

J .
12-16-2008, 09:59 PM
I like him and I think he has potential to be a starting CB in MLS. He was at times our best defender last year. If he has trained hard and improved this off season, he could be better, if he did nothing at the least he is a sub.

GhostPK
12-17-2008, 05:41 AM

Last game of the season. San Jose. Worst slide tackle I have ever seen in my life, in the box. PK. Goal. Nuff said.

GhostPK
12-17-2008, 05:44 AM

Wynne also gave back 2 ;) AND Wynne had the least amount of cards by a back on our team by far. I think the number was 16 or 17 cards for the entire season. As a CB, that's intense. Anyways, I haven't seen enough of Harmse to make a solid decision, but based on what I have seen... Hes got some work to do to collect my vote.

CretanBull
12-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Wynne wasn't a CB, he was a RB and as the season went on (especially the last few weeks) he played a wingback type of role. I don't mean to split hairs, but typically L/RB tend not to pick up as many fouls (a CBs role requires them to be more physical).

Canadian Blue
12-17-2008, 10:40 AM

He gives us some depth.

I say keep him.

I agree with every point made in Jack's post.

Fort York Redcoat
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Canadian. Depth.

invictusTFC
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I think people forget about the salary cap situation in this league sometimes. Harmse is cheap and he adds depth at both the molding midfield position and CB. Contracts like his is what is going to allow TFC to hold onto players like Ricketts, Robbo, Guevara, DeRo and anybody else with a higher end salary. For that reason alone we should keep him.

boysblue
12-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Canadian. Depth.

that is it right there.

also never heard anything about him moaning despite his lack of playing time for extended spells last season either. seemes to be a decent team guy who understands his role.

giambac
12-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Mr. Negativity strikes again! :D

I'm happy:canada:

Cambridge_Red
12-26-2008, 11:37 PM
When we were thin at the back he stood up be it on a few occasions in a negative way. I think we need to find a position (midfield) where he can do less damage coming off the bench. I like his enthusiasm but defensively he scares the shit out of me.