PDA

View Full Version : New Toronto FC Captain: DeRo?

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 01:06 AM
This thread is self explanatory: With DeRo on this way to Toronto, do you think there is a chance of Carver/Mo making him captain of the club at some point?

Jimmy B, while a great guy and a good player, has been occasionally criticized here for not being vocal or authoritative enough as captain.

DeRo, on the other hand, was one of the primary veteran leaders in Houston. In addition to all of the MLS silverware he has won, both individually and with his clubs - do you think he would be a better leader for Toronto FC?

And if so, do you think a change will occur?

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 01:10 AM
To answer my own thread - I don't think a change will occur, though I certainly see him becoming Vice-Captain right away.

Do I think he's a better choice for team captain? Yes. But I also think it would be a tremendous slap in the face to Jimmy B, unless he insists on the change for some reason.

- Scott

CretanBull
12-14-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm happy with Jimmy B as captain. If they decided to change it for some reason, I'd give it to Robo before De Ro.

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm happy with Jimmy B as captain. If they decided to change it for some reason, I'd give it to Robo before De Ro.

I think Robbo is qualified, but my guess is they would want to stick with another Canadian.

- Scott

CretanBull
12-14-2008, 01:22 AM
I think...or rather, I hope...they pick the best person for the job and don't make a decision based on nationality. The captain plays an important role on the team, it carries certain responsibilities etc. it's not an honourary thing for the fans. It's a position that has certain requirements (leadership, communication, etc.) and being a certain nationality isn't one of them.

If the Maple Leafs can have a Swedish captain, then TFC can have a Welsh one!

SteeltownBhoy
12-14-2008, 02:05 AM
And so it was written that Houston did bequeath it's only son De Ro onto Toronto. And he did walk on the waters of Lake Ontario and gathered the huddled masses onto the Mount that is BMO field.

He then cried out to MSLE, let there be grass, and there was, and DeRo saw that it was good!!

Once again he cried out with great power, let there be a DP!! But the high priest MO who also had great powers cast a recession spell crying WE NEH HAVE THE MONEY oh DeRo!!!!

This angered the great DeRo who commanded MO sign Adam Braz to a 5 year deal then took his shit to Seattle.

Amen

Strikers
12-14-2008, 02:39 AM
No question DeRo would be one of the leaders of this team on and off the field. I'm sure he will wear the armband for a couple of games this season just like Robbo did the past two years.

twistedchinaman
12-14-2008, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't doubt it can happen at some point, but Jimmy B is doing a helluva job already...he might do it on the off chance?

Ron Manager
12-14-2008, 08:18 AM
It's tough for fans to judge a great captain as so much of it happens off the pitch. If the club is happy with Jimmy, then I certainly am too.

Broadview
12-14-2008, 08:27 AM
No urgency for a change in my opinion. There seems to be a lot of leadership in the room already with Jimmy, Robbo, Dichio and now Dero.

I actually think Dero is going to be under the microscope enough that captaining a new team might be a bit of a burden. If he just makes a bunch of goals happen, I'll be happy with that.

pepher
12-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Robinson IMO. He's earned it.

MG42
12-14-2008, 09:24 AM
And so it was written that Houston did bequeath it's only son De Ro onto Toronto. And he did walk on the waters of Lake Ontario and gathered the huddled masses onto the Mount that is BMO field.

He then cried out to MSLE, let there be grass, and there was, and DeRo saw that it was good!!

Once again he cried out with great power, let there be a DP!! But the high priest MO who also had great powers cast a recession spell crying WE NEH HAVE THE MONEY oh DeRo!!!!

This angered the great DeRo who commanded MO sign Adam Braz to a 5 year deal then took his shit to Seattle.

Amen

Gold! :lol:

MisterMacphisto
12-14-2008, 09:27 AM
DeRo didn't quit team Canada.

Just sayin'.

Jack
12-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Jimmy B's the Captain. Period.

I know DeRo's a great player, but I hope people don't think he's going to be some huge saviour. We still have a lot of holes on the roster that need to be filled.

Redpunkfiddle
12-14-2008, 09:53 AM
He he hasn't captained the MNT, he wasn't captain in Houston. A player can bring great skill, inspiration to the fans and not be the best for team leader.

Wagner
12-14-2008, 10:00 AM

I know DeRo's a great player, but I hope people don't think he's going to be some huge saviour. We still have a lot of holes on the roster that need to be filled.

yes, exactly.

Jimmy B has put TFC first.
he's been a good captain.

Lucky Strike
12-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd like to see it remain as is. TFC shouldn't change things just for the sake of it. Though DeRo would be good, Brennan and Robbo have earned and not done anything that warrants taking that away from them (not that we know of anyway).

FluSH
12-14-2008, 10:37 AM
hmm as much as I like DeRo, I still think Jimmy B should be captain...

Nodoubtguy
12-14-2008, 11:15 AM
I think it's Jimmy B's. There would be no reason to take it from him.

Stencils
12-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Jimmy B is the captain. Definitely.

Bobo
12-14-2008, 11:59 AM
DeRo needs to earn the armband at TFC first. Only Jimmy for me, until the day he retires.

Flipityflu
12-14-2008, 12:11 PM
no need for a change at all. besides, i think Robbo is next in line anyway.

stretchthetruth
12-14-2008, 12:20 PM
jimmy b will still wear the armband, i think, but de-ro will probaby be a great leader as well...

106-12
12-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Jimmy B - oh captain my captain! As long as he wears red he is my captain!

Technorgasm
12-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Jimmy B is our man.

If he cant do it, we'll say screw it!

Cashcleaner
12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think they'll take the captaincy away from Brennan. It certainly wouldn't seem right if they did.

BuSaPuNk
12-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Jimmy B for sure. He has put the teams needs first before everything else. If there is anyone else on this team that could be captain it's Robbo.

Damien
12-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Nobody can call the opposing team's players a "fucking cunt" quite like Jimmy B.

James Oliphant
12-14-2008, 03:53 PM
^
That is leadership.

Roogsy
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Jimmy B for sure. He has put the teams needs first before everything else. If there is anyone else on this team that could be captain it's Robbo.

Seconded.

rocker
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Nobody can call the opposing team's players a "fucking cunt" quite like Jimmy B.

i remember this incident but can someone tell me which game it was in and who was the target? was it houston?

profit89
12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Robbo !

MUFC_Niagara
12-14-2008, 06:03 PM

+1, couldn't agree more Jack.

Oldtimer
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Leadership is more than being a good player.

DeRo is a great player. Jimmy B. is a leader.

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 07:43 PM
My reason for even posing the question, was that there had been lots of grumbling this past season from some users here, about how Jimmy B wasn't assertive enough of a leader - while he was a good teammate, and maybe a senior presence in the locker room, on the pitch he didn't seem to have enough of an "inspirational" quality, to will his team to victory. On many occasions, it was quite the opposite - the team wilted in the final minutes, and dropped valuable points.

I'm not saying I agree with this assesment of Jimmy B as captain. I just know that DeRo is a highly respected veteran, who has done a lot in this league, and decided to throw out the possibility of him becoming captain at some point.

I don't support taking it away from Brennan. The "telephone game" effect of this thread has morphed into "DeRo must be agood captain, because he's a good player", which was never my point.

- Scott

shwade
12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
i remember this incident but can someone tell me which game it was in and who was the target? was it houston?

I could be mistaken but I remember it being against the shite bulls. Could've been Dane Richards.

Strikers
12-14-2008, 11:20 PM

It was the game against the Revolution in Foxboro, those TV mics picked that up loud and clear. I think he said it to that Nyassi kid after a blantant dive to win the free kick.

Keegan
12-15-2008, 03:12 AM
Better player does not mean better leader.

De Rosario has never really been considered a leader as far as I know. I know he has never captained the national team but neither has Jimmy B.

Hitcho
12-15-2008, 09:55 AM

QFT. Period.

Axeman
12-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Jimmy B, All the Way!

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Jimmy B was our clubs first signing EVER!! He will be our captain!!

Marc"2L"
01-28-2009, 05:02 AM
So, the man's home.

Now, do we give him the armband or what?

Just throwing it out there. I haven't seen a thread on this yet and I figured it could merit it's own.

my .02: Nope.

Dozitwin
01-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Jimmy B is the captain of the team. End of story!

Lucky Strike
01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
No dice. It's Jimmy and if it can't/won't be him, it'll be Robbo.

106-12
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
It is Jimmy . and if it is not then it is ME .

David_Oliveira
01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Jimmy B as captain, Robbo as vice-captain; the way it has been since the beginning is the way it should be. Think of the psycological effects this could have on Jimmy B and Robbo. Jimmy was black-listed from the national team for TFC. Robbo has taken a cut this year

Big Bruva
01-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Keep Jimmy as captain and if they decide to change for any reason Robbo is more of a captain than DeRo.

You don't make someone captain just coz they come from the city they play in.

twistedchinaman
01-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Jimmy B - Robbo - DD. That should be the first three to come to mind.

END OF DISCUSSION!!!