PDA

View Full Version : Does getting DeRo mean we won't get/need a DP?

Eastend
12-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I say this pushes us getting a DP back at least 1 more year....but I could be wrong. Since a lot of folks on here said they'd love to have DeRo but not as a DP I'd like to know what people think.

flatpicker
12-13-2008, 08:47 PM
well, if we have cap room to fit a DP in at the striker or CB position, then I say we should do it.
As long as it leaves room to get one more player to strengthen the other spot.

But if we got a decent player into each spot with using the DP, then I think we would still be in good shape

Broadview
12-13-2008, 09:02 PM
It doesn't seem as urgent to fill the DP slot, but I still want one.

Beach_Red
12-13-2008, 09:42 PM
well, if we have cap room to fit a DP in at the striker or CB position, then I say we should do it.
As long as it leaves room to get one more player to strengthen the other spot.

But if we got a decent player into each spot with using the DP, then I think we would still be in good shape

I hate this salary cap so much. well, i hate it combined with the DP rule - if the cap was just raised by as much as the team is willing to spend on a DP, but they could spread it around more, that would good.

Has anyone totalled the TFC salaries with DeRo replacing JJ? Is there enough room for a $400,000 DP hit?

MG42
12-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I say this pushes us getting a DP back at least 1 more year....but I could be wrong. Since a lot of folks on here said they'd love to have DeRo but not as a DP I'd like to know what people think.

This is a great question. I really hope that MoJo & MLSE don't just sit on this and use it as a distraction to not signing a DP. One thing I don't want to hear from the front office is how we have the best midfield in MLS now...remember when the CMNT was supposed to have the best midfield in CONCACAF?

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we still need a striker and CB...what is debatable is which position to use the DP on.

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-13-2008, 10:08 PM
I’d like to see two strikers, two CB s and a wide left player. Trade Guevara possibly. I don’t think we’ll see the best of DeRo if we play him wide or in a five man midfield. Ideally, one of the strikers would be the DP.

egoodwin
12-13-2008, 10:51 PM
DeRo is a defacto DP

- he's going to improve the club which will help keep seat retention rate high
- he will sell jerseys
- and he's going to increase the profile of the team

Though we should still get a DP... what's the point of a DP slot if you don't use it?

flatpicker
12-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Though we should still get a DP... what's the point of a DP slot if you don't use it?

well, there's the age old argument that says there's a good chance you will take up too much of your cap space on a DP and not leave enough room for depth players... ie LA.

With DeRo taking up the max in salary, if we ad a DP we would have around $800,000 used up on two players. I think we have seen where that can cause a team trouble. I would be fine if we used the remaining money on a couple reliable players. But hey, I am no footie manager, so I will trust in the powers that be to make the right decisions.

MG42
12-13-2008, 11:23 PM
well, there's the age old argument that says there's a good chance you will take up too much of your cap space on a DP and not leave enough room for depth players... ie LA.

With DeRo taking up the max in salary, if we ad a DP we would have around $800,000 used up on two players. I think we have seen where that can cause a team trouble. I would be fine if we used the remaining money on a couple reliable players. But hey, I am no footie manager, so I will trust in the powers that be to make the right decisions.

Can someone decipher if we can use any allocation $$$ for Dero...I'm in no condition right now...if we can that may save us from Flats' LA scenario...here are the MLS rules for allocation $$$

Allocation money can be traded by teams. Allocation money does not count against a team's salary budget and can be used:

• To sign players new to MLS (that is, a player that did not play in MLS during the previous season).
• To re-sign an existing MLS player, with League approval.
• In connection with the exercise of an option to purchase a player's rights or the extension of a player's contact for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year.

Allocation money cannot otherwise be used to buy down the salary budget number of players already under contract to the League, nor can allocation money be used to buy down the budget number of a Designated Player.

Lucky Strike
12-13-2008, 11:29 PM
It probably does reduce our chances of getting a DP but I still believe we need one. I do hope the FO doesn't use this admittedly great DeRo deal to try to hypnotize us into forgetting about getting a DP. But, given that he was able to rob Houston, I think Mo deserves some benefit of the doubt here.

Nuvinho
12-13-2008, 11:33 PM
To re-sign an existing MLS player, with League approval.

I think this may be what TFC did, because DeRo did sign a higher paying contract, from $325K to $400K.

Lucky Strike
12-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Can someone decipher if we can use any allocation $$$ for Dero...I'm in no condition right now...if we can that may save us from Flats' LA scenario...here are the MLS rules for allocation $$$

As I read it, either:

1. We know that DeRo is now being paid more than he was in Houston so that implies a new contract. This would fall under the second bullet point of the allocation rules.

or

2. We use allocation money on a guy that would normally be a DP (like Schellotto last year) but to reduce his salary to non-DP status. In other words, we sign a guy at 1 million a year (which would make him a DP) but use allocation money to bring down his cap hit. Technically speaking, that appears to satisfy the rule as this player never would have been a DP.

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 11:38 PM
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we still need a striker and CB...what is debatable is which position to use the DP on.

I don't think we'll ever see a DP spot used on a defender. Teams want game-breakers from their DP and a striker or attacking mid-fielder can change a game more quickly than a defender (who still has to rely on the 3 other Ds that he's playing with).

Defenders are hard to market as impact players, it requires more understanding of the game. Marketing a goal-scorer is a lot easy way of attracting new fans.

Damien
12-13-2008, 11:38 PM
I'd rather have DeRo than Gallardo :D

Brooker
12-13-2008, 11:57 PM
DP striker or bust. end of story.

Dichio's my hero, but he's only gonna be a sub. Ibrahim? not quite ready to be a starter..... and as much as i like Barrett we can't rely on him alone.

Barrett, please make me eat my words! go on! i'd love for him to prove me wrong. he never mails it in.

Shakes McQueen
12-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think we'll ever see a DP spot used on a defender. Teams want game-breakers from their DP and a striker or attacking mid-fielder can change a game more quickly than a defender (who still has to rely on the 3 other Ds that he's playing with).

Defenders are hard to market as impact players, it requires more understanding of the game. Marketing a goal-scorer is a lot easy way of attracting new fans.

You never know. I think if the club had the opportunity to sign a brand name offensive superstar like Beckham, versus an equally good defender, they would always take the superstar.

However, given that we already now have a "big name" attacker in DeRo (at least in Canada), you might see them go for whatever they think the team needs most. I personally think that is defense, now that we have DeRo.

A highly skilled, veteran center back would work wonders for us. We need someone back there who can not only effectively shut down teams, but can also orchestrate the rest of the backline, and give some of our less talented defenders some direction - which will make them better too.

- Scott

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
DP...we dont need one...ever....what we do need is quality players on the defence and midfie;d areas and that can be done without the DP.

MG42
12-14-2008, 12:05 AM
DP...we dont need one...ever....what we do need is quality players on the defence and midfie;d areas and that can be done without the DP.

listen, I want a DP just to say we have one! /jk

CretanBull
12-14-2008, 12:30 AM
However, given that we already now have a "big name" attacker in DeRo (at least in Canada), you might see them go for whatever they think the team needs most. I personally think that is defense, now that we have DeRo.

I love De Ro, but he's not the answer to our scoring problems on his own - we still need a striker who can reliably finish.

A highly skilled, veteran center back would work wonders for us. We need someone back there who can not only effectively shut down teams, but can also orchestrate the rest of the backline, and give some of our less talented defenders some direction - which will make them better too.

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a DP CB, I'm just saying it won't happen. A defender can't single handedly change a game the way an attacking mid-fielder or striker can. If you can only invest heavily in 1 player it makes the most sense to make that player and attacking one. Also - probably equally important - teams want DPs to have a certain marketability to them (to help recoup the high salary) and it's far easier to sell a attacking player to the public.

- Scott[/quote]

Marc"2L"
12-14-2008, 12:40 AM
No, because Michael Owen is going to be the DP upfront.....

You herd it here first folks....

...kidding..

But if it does happen, you herd it here first.

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I love De Ro, but he's not the answer to our scoring problems on his own - we still need a striker who can reliably finish.

I'm not saying that we couldn't use a DP CB, I'm just saying it won't happen. A defender can't single handedly change a game the way an attacking mid-fielder or striker can. If you can only invest heavily in 1 player it makes the most sense to make that player and attacking one. Also - probably equally important - teams want DPs to have a certain marketability to them (to help recoup the high salary) and it's far easier to sell a attacking player to the public.

We have that potential difference-maker in DeRo now, however. I do think we still need a proficient striker to make the most of our scoring chances, but I just think our defensive needs are more immediate at this point.

You are right though - I do suspect they will go for a big name attacker for DP.

- Scott

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
12-14-2008, 02:57 AM
can we sign mario yepes already??

twistedchinaman
12-14-2008, 02:59 AM
DeRo is a de facto DP but we could still do well with an official one -- especially a striker, or if necessary, a central defender.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-14-2008, 06:54 AM
If anything this signing should signal the opposite, it means that MLSE/Mo are making moves to create a playoff/league winning team. How does the signing of a non DP, max salary player equate to the not signing of a DP? We still have a ton of allocation money, MLSE has openly said they will pay for an appropriate DP, we have some slots open as far as our senior/international roster is concerned. This initial argument reeks of tired leaf supporting. Is it necessary to remind people that this is not the Maple Leafs and that supporters will not stand for mediocrity?

De Ro is a hell of a signing but hes only one step in a few to creating a playoff team. For some time (since almost the start) its been evident that TFC has needed a clinical finisher, how in any logical manner does this signing suggest otherwise?

It doesnt

More moves will be made.

For christ sake, we heard about Nuno Gomes rejecting a contract at TFC before our De Ro joined us back home. This is fucking soccer, not hockey.

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Only thing that scares me about the prospect of not getting a DP:

Every time Anselmi talks about a DP, he always says "if Mo can get the right guy, at the right price". When he says that, I always start to wonder what "right price" means, because when it comes to attracting viable longer term DP's to a new league in North America, you're going to have to speak with some really lucrative coin.

It worries me, because you're seldom going to find not only the right guy, but the right guy asking the right price. More often than not, it'll be the right guy, asking for the "wrong" price, to lure him away from Europe.

- Scott

TorCanSoc
12-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Very right shakes. 3.2 million is a DP and unfortunately so is $400,001. Guess which MLSE would lean toward.

I like the point of building a team, not finding a player. Pretty much like Houston.

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Very right shakes. 3.2 million is a DP and unfortunately so is $400,001. Guess which MLSE would lean toward.

I like the point of building a team, not finding a player. Pretty much like Houston.

The other thing is, I'd like some clarification from MLS as to what exactly their official stance is on transfer fees. Because you can't expect Beckham-caliber players to keep coming to MLS on bloody free transfers.

Or Huckerbys. Or Angels, for that matter.

- Scott

Jack
12-14-2008, 09:48 AM
If anything this signing should signal the opposite, it means that MLSE/Mo are making moves to create a playoff/league winning team. How does the signing of a non DP, max salary player equate to the not signing of a DP? We still have a ton of allocation money, MLSE has openly said they will pay for an appropriate DP, we have some slots open as far as our senior/international roster is concerned. This initial argument reeks of tired leaf supporting. Is it necessary to remind people that this is not the Maple Leafs and that supporters will not stand for mediocrity?

De Ro is a hell of a signing but hes only one step in a few to creating a playoff team. For some time (since almost the start) its been evident that TFC has needed a clinical finisher, how in any logical manner does this signing suggest otherwise?

It doesnt

More moves will be made.

For christ sake, we heard about Nuno Gomes rejecting a contract at TFC before our De Ro joined us back home. This is fucking soccer, not hockey.

This is true. DeRo isn't the messiah all by himself. He can be a huge piece of the puzzle, but we need a few more pieces for sure.

Mo made a great first step. But it has to be just that, a FIRST step. There are still some GAPING holes on our roster. Last I heard, DeRo doesn't play central defence, striker and midfield all at the same time.

Only thing that scares me about the prospect of not getting a DP:

Every time Anselmi talks about a DP, he always says "if Mo can get the right guy, at the right price". When he says that, I always start to wonder what "right price" means, because when it comes to attracting viable longer term DP's to a new league in North America, you're going to have to speak with some really lucrative coin.

It worries me, because you're seldom going to find not only the right guy, but the right guy asking the right price. More often than not, it'll be the right guy, asking for the "wrong" price, to lure him away from Europe.

- Scott

I still think it's the best strategy, Scott. Getting the right guy that fits is the key here. I think finding a guy who fits and who works for the team on the field and financially is vital to making the DP thing work. If it's someone who's just here for the money, then you don't get the effort. If it's someone who's here to showcase themselves so they can go back to Europe, then they could be gone at any minute. There is certainly a combination of factors involved to ensure we get our version of Blanco or Angel or Schellotto as opposed to Gallardo or Denilson!

ensco
12-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Even though most want a striker, I think Dichio/Barrett/Ibbe could be enough up front. Dichio if healthy, with his one touch game, will be a machine with this midfield.

I would really, truly love to bring in a stud center back. If we need to use the DP for that. fine.

Jack
12-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Even though most want a striker, I think Dichio/Barrett/Ibbe could be enough up front. Dichio if healthy, with his one touch game, will be a machine with this midfield.

I would really, truly love to bring in a stud center back. If we need to use the DP for that. fine.
I don't agree with you.

Dichio's not a full season player. He's not getting any younger. Think of all the times where we needed a poacher this past season. Someone to just put it in the damn net! We need that desperately. A 15 goal scorer.

15 from a DP
10 from Barret
7 from Ibbe
5 from DD

That would be just fine with me!

And, of course, we do need a defender who can lead the back line. But who's out there and available? MLS isn't exactly chock full of defensive monsters :noidea:

Eastend
12-14-2008, 10:04 AM

It doesnt

More moves will be made.

1) I am not, nor have I ever been a Leafs fan. I support TFC.
2) Having said 1), I've been around long enough to see how MLSE has worked in the past to appease fans by giving them nibbles but never the whole cake. I know MLSE has the $$ to build this team but history still lingers.
3) I never said they wouldn't get us a DP, nor am I 100% certain we even need one. We need a strong core as a football team is 11 players on the pitch at once.

I just put it our there for discussion to see if people thought we'd still get a DP....you know, discussion. I think it is a valid question.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-14-2008, 10:11 AM
yeah, i was hammered (i just get on the offensive sometimes with the whole crying about MLSE, ya know?).

its a good question btw, HA

Jack
12-14-2008, 10:35 AM
1) I am not, nor have I ever been a Leafs fan. I support TFC.
2) Having said 1), I've been around long enough to see how MLSE has worked in the past to appease fans by giving them nibbles but never the whole cake. I know MLSE has the $$ to build this team but history still lingers.
3) I never said they wouldn't get us a DP, nor am I 100% certain we even need one. We need a strong core as a football team is 11 players on the pitch at once.

I just put it our there for discussion to see if people thought we'd still get a DP....you know, discussion. I think it is a valid question.

They've sure spent shitloads of money on hockey players. Poor management is another issue, but before the salary cap, they usually had amongst the top 5 payrolls in the league. So I don't really get your argument there :noidea:

Ossington Mental Youth
12-14-2008, 11:28 AM
thats not to mention the fact that recently with both the raps and leafs they have been making serious efforts to overhaul the teams and put together something that succeeds (hence the firing of both coaches, trading of players etc), youd think that goes here as well

Marco2K
12-14-2008, 11:28 AM
they are paying Darcy tucker 4 million to play with the AVS. GOD DAMN...lol

Jack
12-14-2008, 12:14 PM
they are paying Darcy tucker 4 million to play with the AVS. GOD DAMN...lol
Yeah, but they're cleaning up the mess of past mistakes. It's a step in the right direction.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I don't think they'll hesitate to spend the coin on a good DP, but I do think they want someone who's committed to winning and not just out for a retirement cheque.

Flipityflu
12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
its an interesting question. i try not to get lost in the dp question. its been proven you can build a solid team without one. if we can do that, then its really a moot point. we now have vast chunks of cap space going to only a couple of players...can we afford to give up depth to keep that trend going? i don't think so. start looking at what happened this season with regards to international dates, add the unfortunate chance of injury, and i think depth starts to nudge ahead of a 'name player'.

its the use of allocation money (and possibly the draft picks) that will be the key to the next moves Mo makes i think.

MUFC_Niagara
12-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I think with DeRo we need to get a DP and really turn the screw. If I was Mo I would be working extra hard to get a DP!

flatpicker
12-14-2008, 12:46 PM
one thing I am confused about...
If you use the allocation money you have to sign players, does that not mean that you will have less money to spend the following year? Does that not mean that you will end up having to release players and suffer from a depleted squad after one good season?

rocker
12-14-2008, 01:01 PM
ya. be careful what you wish for. a DP can cripple a cap. I'm not even sure if we have cap space now to add the 400K+ that a DP requires.
it's true that if you knock down salaries with allocation now, that doesn't mean next season you have that allocation to knock down those salaries again.
So the allocation money is nice but it's not there every year. You use it and it's gone.
Mojo has to be careful.

another thing: can you knock down a DP's cap hit with allocation?

EDIT: no... just checked the regulations. You cannot buy down a DP's cap hit.

Cashcleaner
12-14-2008, 01:21 PM
It probably does reduce our chances of getting a DP but I still believe we need one. I do hope the FO doesn't use this admittedly great DeRo deal to try to hypnotize us into forgetting about getting a DP. But, given that he was able to rob Houston, I think Mo deserves some benefit of the doubt here.

I know this sounds cynical, but I have a bad feeling that you may be right with that prediction. The DeRo singing is fantastic news, no doubt about it. But lets be honest and and acknowledge that most people here agree he's not a player on the same level as we tend think when it comes to DP material. I love the idea that we've snagged him for Toronto, but we shouldn't just fold our arms and figure thats all we'll really need for new talent in 2009.

I might be wrong, but I think we still have plenty of room under the cap for a DP, and if thats true, than we still still consider bringing in the world-class player we've all been speculating on. Its all really hard to say exactly what the complete plan is for next season, because we could have spent the slot on acquiring DeRo but we didn't and instead went up to the league maximum salary with him and made a trade. We still have the unused slot and probably enough money for it, but as to how this all plays out is anyones guess.

The Oz
12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Can someone please post how much each player is making, how it relates to the cap, and how much we have left to get a striker and cb, one of which will more than likely be a DP?

rocker
12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
salary info is here:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

it's impossible to say how much cap room we have because it's not clear which # (base or guaranteed) counts against the cap. Steve Goff once said these Union numbers do not clearly say what counts against the cap. This is just what the players are paid, not how MLS appropriates their salaries for cap purposes. Also, we always hear that rumour that the cap is 2.2 million, but MLS has never said for sure.

So we just don't know if TFC has the cap room or not.. and even if they didn't, we don't know how Mo might knock down some salaries with allocation...
but it's hard to believe TFC has lots of cap room given the salaries the guys make unless Mo does something using allocation. But he'd know the longterm implications of that better than we do.

conversely, however, I also wonder if long term matters... surely after this season things are gonna change regarding the cap amount and rules. the rules/cap Mojo works under now will probably loosen up a bit.

FluSH
12-14-2008, 02:10 PM
salary info is here:

Barrett is a steal @ $61k!!!

The Oz
12-14-2008, 02:15 PM
salary info is here:

it's impossible to say how much cap room we have because it's not clear which # (base or guaranteed) counts against the cap. Steve Goff once said these Union numbers do not clearly say what counts against the cap. This is just what the players are paid, not how MLS appropriates their salaries for cap purposes. Also, we always hear that rumour that the cap is 2.2 million, but MLS has never said for sure.

So we just don't know if TFC has the cap room or not.. and even if they didn't, we don't know how Mo might knock down some salaries with allocation...
but it's hard to believe TFC has lots of cap room given the salaries the guys make unless Mo does something using allocation. But he'd know the longterm implications of that better than we do.

conversely, however, I also wonder if long term matters... surely after this season things are gonna change regarding the cap amount and rules. the rules/cap Mojo works under now will probably loosen up a bit.

TFC Attakora-Gyan Nana D $ 12,900.00
TFC Barrett Chad F $ 61,273.13
TFC Brennan Jim D $ 183,250.00
TFC Dichio Daniel F $ 165,625.00
TFC Dunivant Todd D $ 104,737.50
TFC Edwards Brian GK $ 44,750.00
TFC Elkinson Kilian M $ 12,900.00
TFC Gala Gabe D $ 12,900.00
TFC Gaudet Derek $ 12,900.00
TFC Guevara Amado $ 185,750.00
TFC Harmse Kevin M $ 72,000.00
TFC Ibrahim Abdus F $ 103,000.00
TFC Marshall Tyrone $ 153,750.00
TFC Melo Joey M $ 12,900.00
TFC Ricketts Rohan M $ 212,504.00
TFC Robinson Carl M $ 330,000.00
TFC Rosenlund Tyler M $ 17,700.00
TFC Smith Johann F $ 47,666.67
TFC Sutton Greg GK $ 157,562.50
TFC Velez Marco D $ 60,500.00
TFC Wynne Marvell D $ 150,000.00

someone wanna give me the updates for DD and others?

TFCREDNWHITE
12-15-2008, 12:39 PM
This means that we are definitely getting a DP!!

loconet
12-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't know why everyone is thinking DP when our defense is the biggest problem. Getting a DP is not going to solve anything. We need a solid CB first!

rocker
12-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Barrett is a steal @ $61k!!!

ya, last year.. but he just signed a new contract with TFC so that salary must have gone up.

Lucky Strike
12-15-2008, 02:09 PM
FWIW, I believe it is the guaranteed compensation that counts towards the cap.

My reasoning is based on the salary of Ruiz: It's 350K base and 460K guaranteed. We know he's been grand-fathered in relation to the DP rule (i.e. he's not a DP even though he makes more than 400K because he signed his contract before the DP rule came into effect). Therefore, if the base salary was what counted toward the cap, Ruiz wouldn't have needed to be grand-fathered in the first place.

Make sense?

Stryker
12-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Looking at our salaries tells me two things... Dunivant is over payed for a utility player and Ibbe has a good agent.

Yohan
12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Looking at our salaries tells me two things... Dunivant is over payed for a utility player and Ibbe has a good agent.
It's called having a good depth when your starter gets injured

Eastend
12-15-2008, 02:35 PM

I think Ibbe is Gen Adidas and that salary is dictated by that.....right?

jloome
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't agree with you.

Dichio's not a full season player. He's not getting any younger. Think of all the times where we needed a poacher this past season. Someone to just put it in the damn net! We need that desperately. A 15 goal scorer.

15 from a DP
10 from Barret
7 from Ibbe
5 from DD

That would be just fine with me!

And, of course, we do need a defender who can lead the back line. But who's out there and available? MLS isn't exactly chock full of defensive monsters :noidea:

Holy optimistic. I don't think you're going to see seven goals out of Ibbe for a few more seasons yet! First, he'd have to get the playing time. I guess if we didn't sign ANYONE to replace Ruiz that might be the case. But we don't even have confirmation he's leaving yet, we're all just assuming it.

If we got 25 goals out of our two starting frontmen, we should win the league (or be extremely unbalanced everywhere else, it's kind of feast or famine with those types of numbers!)

Jack
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Holy optimistic. I don't think you're going to see seven goals out of Ibbe for a few more seasons yet! First, he'd have to get the playing time. I guess if we didn't sign ANYONE to replace Ruiz that might be the case. But we don't even have confirmation he's leaving yet, we're all just assuming it.

If we got 25 goals out of our two starting frontmen, we should win the league (or be extremely unbalanced everywhere else, it's kind of feast or famine with those types of numbers!)
I was being optimistic, hence why I said "That would be just fine with me!"

I agree Ibbe's probably more like a 3-4 goal scorer if he gets the time which, on a deeper squad, he might not. But a DP and Barrett could conceivably net us 20-25 between the pair of them, given the right player.

I'd like to see a good forward come in here to take advantage of what we've got in midfield now.

Plus, you could probably add 5 from DeRo to that mix.

As for the unbalanced thing, we really do need to plug the hole in the centre of the defence.

profit89
12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
We still need a DP

Erkan16
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
It doesn't seem as urgent to fill the DP slot, but I still want one.

my feeling exactly.

rappleby
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Ok. If TFC and MLSE want to be really smart and start a dynasty like the Montreal Canadians then these are the players they should get.

Owen Hargreaves
Paul Stalteri
Jonathan de Guzman
Julian de Guzman

These owners must realize that us Canadians will flock to see our own players play for TFC.

BMO would have to double in size

Now if they only do the same with the Raptors and the Jays.

Stryker
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Owen: I've been giving it alot of thought and I'd like to help bolster soccer in Canada, I'd like to be dealt to Toronto.
Sir Alex: You're taking the piss right?

jloome
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok. If TFC and MLSE want to be really smart and start a dynasty like the Montreal Canadians then these are the players they should get.

Owen Hargreaves
Paul Stalteri
Jonathan de Guzman
Julian de Guzman

These owners must realize that us Canadians will flock to see our own players play for TFC.

BMO would have to double in size

Now if they only do the same with the Raptors and the Jays.

With the exception of Stalteri, this list is delusional. Hargreaves is likely on $80,000 plus per week. Per WEEK. JoDe is in Holland still, so perhaps he's on less than $20,000 per week. Perhaps. Stalteri will be one somewhere north of $20,000 a week, as he was signed as a starter in the premiership and is still under his original deal. So, unless they increase the league salary cap tenfold -- along with bringing in quality across the board, developing a major television deal, displacing baseball and basketball on the hierarchy of U.S. popular sport , and reinventing North America's view of soccer as we know it -- this isn't going to happen. And no, you couldn't just offer them more money.