PDA

View Full Version : Soccercentral today at noon....

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 10:13 AM
...are going to show a Rohan Ricketts interview and have a De Ro "update".

FluSH
12-13-2008, 10:23 AM
I woke up this morning and yes....

I wasn't dreaming... we have DeRo............ WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOQJUWPQODPQWHPDQ WHIDHQWOPIHDO IQWHDIO"QWHD"OQHWOIDH!~!!!!

Boondaddy
12-13-2008, 10:27 AM
same here....CHRISTMAS HAS COME EARLY!!

Gobi
12-13-2008, 10:29 AM
^YES!!!

Carts
12-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I woke up this morning and yes....

I wasn't dreaming... we have DeRo............ WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOQJUWPQODPQWHPDQ WHIDHQWOPIHDO IQWHDIO"QWHD"OQHWOIDH!~!!!!

I did the same thing...

Smashed at the bar last night I started getting paranoid and thinking it was all a big 'april fools' joke in December... LOL

Its real!! DeRo!!

Carts...

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I got a message last night from my buddy at 2:30 in the morning that said "Some dude thinks we got De Ro, I told him to keep dreaming". It took me 10 minutes to convince him that we really did get De Ro....as soon as I told him that we only gave up James and some cash he was sure that I was fucking with him!

Nuvinho
12-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Dobs says Riko is here next year........I guess he is signed.

James17930
12-13-2008, 12:15 PM
What else?

Nuvinho
12-13-2008, 12:18 PM
-talking about his charity work
-says playoffs a must, else its a failure for him
-loves Toronto
-had some great quotes I must say

Nuvinho
12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
talked about DeRo a bit, same things we have been saying about how great it is for Toronto.

London
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE HE WILL BE BACK!!!!

welcome back RR and welcome home DERO!!

Ossington Mental Youth
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
whats that email address for the contest?

Ryan1984
12-13-2008, 12:36 PM
soccercentral@sportsnet.rogers.com

Technorgasm
12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Danny Dichio

+

Dwayne De Resario

=

DDDD

The dream is real.

BELIEVE

Ossington Mental Youth
12-13-2008, 01:26 PM
soccercentral@sportsnet.rogers.com

thanks

Technorgasm
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
(Adams Family)

YOU KNOW YOU CAN NOT STOP HIM!
YOU KNOW YOU CAN NOT TOP HIM!
HE'S HOME NOW IN TORONTO!
DWAYNE DE-ROSARIO!!

EhB_3KMPu2E

London
12-13-2008, 01:31 PM
^^^^ most of us were present for goal ### 4

James17930
12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
^^^^ most of us were present for goal ### 4

That was sweet. :canada:

zeelaw
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
lol ricketts was funny

Roogsy
12-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Ricketts is class. I am telling you, the guy never says no to requests for charities and TFC causes. TFC is lucky to have him.

Marco2K
12-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Ricketts is class. I am telling you, the guy never says no to requests for charities and TFC causes. TFC is lucky to have him.

Its just to bad his play on the field is not that good. Lets be serious. He had 2 good games for TFC. He had alot of bad games. Alot of bad passes.

i guess this is the kind of player TFC has to take. I just think his 300 000 could be spent better on other players.

you dont have to agree with me.

No doubt off the field this guy is great. He loves the fans. he loves the attention

But can this player be a major part of a winner? i dont think he can.

Roogsy
12-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Thankfully most people disagree, including myself. Nobody on this team draws a double team like Rohan...and more times than not still comes out with the ball. I haven't seen anyone else with that skill on this team. I don't know what you want from the guy. He is doing his job well.

Marco2K
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey we dont have to agree.

Roogsy
12-13-2008, 05:39 PM
True...but by the same token, every time someone makes a good comment about Rohan doesn't mean you have to pipe in with a bad one right?

jloome
12-14-2008, 02:33 PM
you dont have to agree with me.

It's hard not to disagree. Probably half the games he was in, he was our best player on the pitch.

His job is to hold onto the ball, beat his man and cross it into the box. He adds in taking on routine double-teams, tracking back and defending with more vigour than anyone else in the midfield outside Robbo, and chipped in four goals as well.

What, other than using his ball skills more aggressively, would he need to do to be impressive?

ua-kozak_TFC
12-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I have to agree with marco... I think that TFC is so desperate for a role model of a play maker, like i am hoping dero would be. that we are overrating hugely our players... like rickets and amado. Yes they did show some glimps of light in a couple of games, but those were very few.
People mistake a good play maker and a player who makes a good play once in a while. Both amado and rickets are way to inconsistent and most of the time you don;t even notice them on the field. And that is a quiete sad thing because they are "our engine". I think rickets has too big of an ego and if he makes a run and reaches the box he shoots on net. Amado is just not existed, beside a couple of appearances here and there but doesn;t not have the control of the ball needed to be a play maker...

I think once good players start coming in, and with the process of time, fans will become better judges of players' ability.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-14-2008, 02:48 PM
It's hard not to disagree. Probably half the games he was in, he was our best player on the pitch.

His job is to hold onto the ball, beat his man and cross it into the box. He adds in taking on routine double-teams, tracking back and defending with more vigour than anyone else in the midfield outside Robbo, and chipped in four goals as well.

What, other than using his ball skills more aggressively, would he need to do to be impressive?

being OUR best player on a pitch... and being a good player... ARE TOTALLY different things...

ua-kozak_TFC
12-14-2008, 02:55 PM
True...but by the same token, every time someone makes a good comment about Rohan doesn't mean you have to pipe in with a bad one right?

well, that's the whole point of free speach... People can say whatever they want, it's up to you to filter whether it is true or not. You can choose proove your point and try to convince the guy, or choose to look at his point look objectively it makes sense, or you can choose to simply ignore what he said... The ultimate choice is up to you...but everyone has to have a choice in expressing him/herself

Roogsy
12-14-2008, 03:00 PM
True...then don't complain that people don't agree with you is the point. No one is trying to censor free speech. But at the end of the day, there are posters on this board that are viewed as unreasonable. So just like you have the ability to make your opinion known, others have the ability to make it known your opinion is ignorant. My point is...if you don't want to be told your point is ignorant, don't go asking for it. The choice isn't always on the listener...sometimes it's on the person who is going to make others read his opinion.

JDG
12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
well, that's the whole point of free speach... People can say whatever they want, it's up to you to filter whether it is true or not. You can choose proove your point and try to convince the guy, or choose to look at his point look objectively it makes sense, or you can choose to simply ignore what he said... The ultimate choice is up to you...but everyone has to have a choice in expressing him/herself

The point was not about whether or not you have the right to express yourself. The comment was meant to question why there needs to be a flurry of negative comments anytime someone wants to say something good about a Player, a Coach, or anyone else who might affect the team positively.
Most people, including Rohan, want to see more production from his play, but you can't dismiss his qualities just because he lets you down in some areas.
Constantly labelling players as shit, every time their name is brought up is ridiculous.

Roogsy
12-14-2008, 03:09 PM
^Not to mention it usually comes from people who are perpetually negative...about everything. Players, coaches, weather, the lint in their bellybutton.

Many on this board are tired of seeing the same negativity that comes from the same people over and over again.

And again.

And again.

Beach_Red
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM
I think once good players start coming in, and with the process of time, fans will become better judges of players' ability.

Yes, we're all hoping the salary cap will be increased and the reputation on MLS improves around the world, allowing for much better players to start coming in.

There are many peope on this forum who are excellent judges of players' abilities, but they also understand the realities of this league and make their judgements accordingly.

It's somewhat pointless to say that in our little start-up North American league that pays pennies we don't have top the players in the world. Are we getting value for money? You can argue that if you want...

jloome
12-14-2008, 03:41 PM
The point was not about whether or not you have the right to express yourself. The comment was meant to question why there needs to be a flurry of negative comments anytime someone wants to say something good about a Player, a Coach, or anyone else who might affect the team positively.
Most people, including Rohan, want to see more production from his play, but you can't dismiss his qualities just because he lets you down in some areas.
Constantly labelling players as shit, every time their name is brought up is ridiculous.

YEAH!.....except Velez, he's shit.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-14-2008, 04:31 PM
First I am sincerely sorry if i offend it anyone with my "negative opinion".

First I like to think of myself as objective, i don't get carried away by what others think, although i take it into account. Now if my objectiveness, comes across as negativity then i am sorry. I am not abitter individual but i don;t like when some things are overhyped... example: edu, robbo, ricketts, Mo and i guess guevara to an extent. Although Mo if he keeps up with his work and makes more good signings during the season will change my mind.

Ultimately what matters to me is the product on the field and not how nice guys they are, or what place they were drafted in.. or where they played before... etc. Yes being a good individual is important for the team because an asshole can break the team no matter how good he is... but if the player is the nicest guy ever and a pylon on the field... then what is it good for?

Edu: everybody was like "oohh rookie over the year... number one draft ..blah blah" yet on the field he was in-exhistent. The fact that mo unloaded him on rangers for 3 mill, mo should go to jail for that lol. Now you can see how big of a player Mo is... he;s too coky, good athlethe, but not a good footballer.... Remeber this... he;ll be back in the mls in 3 years..

Robbo: yes he does do a good job and holding the midfield but that's ALL he does... for a DM getting payed as much as he does( one of the highest earners in the league) For that money i expect him to pressure more on the players, tackle, hustle and not just stand infront of the ball and look at it... plus his touch is HORRENDOUS...

Rickets: well he;s got some wheels, and bit of flair, his flair is unproductive (hogs the ball and loses it)... i am not sure if that his ego taking over or that he;s just doesn;t ahve the soccer smarts. the fact that he seems a nice guy and does a lot of the community is a bonus... most important is what he brings to the pitch....

Mo: in his stay in toronto he;s been lazy and always did things last minute( atleast for the last 2 years) People say ooh he is a good drafter...?? hahaha with high draft picks anyone one can be a good drafter... But i gotta give him credit for starting earlier this year and bringing dero home... and unloading edu for

Guevara: do even notice him on th pitch? He's got a raelly good strike, but beside the couple of dashes that end in interception i don;t even notice he is playing...

Don;t get me wrong i understand what we are working with here.. i can;t expect them to be messi, mascherano, yayatoure, kakas etc. But i realize that there are a lot of player out there in the league that get a fraction of these player's salary and do just as good of a job... If i don;t believe the hype of edu, am not biased because rickets is a good guy, or don;t fall for robbo's hype because he played in england and was one of our first players..

I do admit that they are the best WE have.. and that's the SAD part...

You don;t hear me complaining about wynne... or sutton, or brenan, barret, etc WHy? because all of them make LESS than 200 k a season. ANd work their ass of giving their all. And do a much BETTER job than the players i mentioned earlier.... some of them make more than double

Roogsy
12-14-2008, 04:35 PM
First I am sincerely sorry if i offend it anyone with my "negative opinion".

First I like to think of myself as objective, i don't get carried away by what others think, although i take it into account. Now if my objectiveness, comes across as negativity then i am sorry. I am not abitter individual but i don;t like when some things are overhyped... example: edu, robbo, ricketts, Mo and i guess guevara to an extent. Although Mo if he keeps up with his work and makes more good signings during the season will change my mind.
Ultimately what matters to me is the product on the field

Edu: everybody was like "oohh rookie over the year... number one draft ..blah blah" yet on the field he was in-exhistent. The fact that mo unloaded him on rangers for 3 mill, mo should go to jail for that lol. Now you can see how big of a player Mo is... he;s too coky, good athlethe, but not a good footballer.... Remeber this... he;ll be back in the mls in 3 years..

Robbo: yes he does do a good job and holding the midfield but that's ALL he does... for a DM getting payed as much as he does( one of the highest earners in the league) For that money i expect him to pressure more on the players, tackle, hustle and not just stand infront of the ball and look at it... plus his touch is HORRENDOUS...

Rickets: well he;s got some wheels, and bit of flair, his flair is unproductive (hogs the ball and loses it)... i am not sure if that his ego taking over or that he;s just doesn;t ahve the soccer smarts. the fact that he seems a nice guy and does a lot of the community is a bonus... most important is what he brings to the pitch....

Mo: in his stay in toronto he;s been lazy and always did things last minute( atleast for the last 2 years) People say ooh he is a good drafter...?? hahaha with high draft picks anyone one can be a good drafter... But i gotta give him credit for starting earlier this year and bringing dero home... and unloading edu for

Guevara: do even notice him on th pitch? He's got a raelly good strike, but beside the couple of dashes that end in interception i don;t even notice he is playing...

Don;t get me wrong i understand what we are working with here.. i can;t expect them to be messi, mascherano, yayatoure, kakas etc. But i realize that there are a lot of player out there in the league that get a fraction of these player's salary and do just as good of a job... If i don;t believe the hype of edu, am not biased because rickets is a good guy, or don;t fall for robbo's hype because he played in england and was one of our first players..

I do admit that they are the best WE have.. and that's the SAD part...

You don;t hear me complaining about wynne... or sutton, or brenan, barret, etc WHy? because all of them make LESS than 200 k a season. ANd work their ass of giving their all. And do a much BETTER job than the players i mentioned earlier....

I guess this is the difference between you, a spectator, and those that analyze the game for a living and know a whole lot more than you or I do.

You bust down Edu, Robbo and Ricketts...and yet almost unanimously, analysts have touted these as being some of the best players TFC has produced in it's short history. Robbo is universally praised for what he does and yet you don't like him.

Either you are incredibly right, or horribly wrong. Unfortunately, I am in the camp that thinks you don't know what you're talking about my man.

rocker
12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
just a rant.....

why must a fan be "objective"?
I cannot be objective. That's the nature of being a fan. I'm a partisan supporter of TFC and not a journalist. I don't need to see "both sides." I can't see both sides... I don't watch all MLS games.. I only really know TFC and 2 games or so a season from each opposition team.

We've been brainwashed in modern society that one has to look at everything in life -- even fun and games -- objectively.

Anyhow, objectivity is in the eye of the beholder. There's no such thing in a real sense. One man's objectivity is another man's bias. So to bust someone's balls for not being objective is not very inclusive. Or to assume your opinion in objective and the other guy's is not, is shifty talk.

I come on these boards and make comments all the time. But it's just my opinion and someone else may disagree. Neither of us is inherently right. But if someone tells me my opinion of Ricketts or somebody is "wrong" (the way something is or isn't "fact") I get pissed off.

Beach_Red
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
But i realize that there are a lot of player out there in the league that get a fraction of these player's salary and do just as good of a job...

A fraction? Really? Who are these players and what is the fraction? You mean there are players paid half (or a quarter or three-quarters?) of what guys on TFC are getting and playing better? How long have they been with their current teams?

Okay, I agree with you that when you start an expansion team you can only get players that other teams have rejected or that no team has under contract (You do realize that, don't you? You understand how contracts work?) or through the draft or trades and that takes a while to develop a team.

Unless you've been in his office or on trips with Mo, saying he is "lazy" is entirely speculation. You can say he hasn't signed as many "good" players as you want him to, but you have no idea why not. Maybe you're right, but you have not one single piece of evidence.

It's not that we think you're negative, we think you don't understand how this league works.

profit89
12-14-2008, 05:54 PM

You gotta be kidding me. He's the only guy who can hold the ball for more than 2 seconds.

JDG
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
I come on these boards and make comments all the time. But it's just my opinion and someone else may disagree. Neither of us is inherently right. But if someone tells me my opinion of Ricketts or somebody is "wrong" (the way something is or isn't "fact") I get pissed off.

To say the negativity is excessive isn't saying you're wrong.
We all know that our players have limitations, and can't measure up to the standards that we all want to see, but nobody needs to hear how our guys don't measure up day after day after day.
The off-season is long, and it's hardly begun.
Last year in the off-season we lost many good supporters as a result of the overwhelming stench of the opinions being posted on this forum.
They didn't stop supporting the team, they either left for another forum, got silent, or decided to get off of the internet for their Footy fix altogether.

I'm not saying that you, or anyone else who has posted in this thread, is out of line - it's just that it's a very slippery slope. If your objective analysis of our players faults are all we hear day in and day out, it saps the will of the more postitive, but equally objective people to engage in discussion, and then all we have is negativity.
How did we learn the name Kenny, or Smenge, or Giambac? We learned who they are because their negativity was delivered with such consistancy that it completely overcame all sensible dialogue.

All I'm trying to say here is get your message out, but refrain from delivering it over and over again. Leave some room for people to feel good about their team. Please

FluSH
12-14-2008, 06:47 PM

haha Mo Johnston needs to be charged! Edu, then the O'Brien/Barrett trade, and now DeRo

The man keeps proving me wrong time and time again.

P.S. It was 5 million to the Rangers and we get 2/3's of that

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM
just a rant.....

I cannot be objective. That's the nature of being a fan. I'm a partisan supporter of TFC and not a journalist. I don't need to see "both sides." I can't see both sides... I don't watch all MLS games.. I only really know TFC and 2 games or so a season from each opposition team.

We've been brainwashed in modern society that one has to look at everything in life -- even fun and games -- objectively.

Anyhow, objectivity is in the eye of the beholder. There's no such thing in a real sense. One man's objectivity is another man's bias. So to bust someone's balls for not being objective is not very inclusive. Or to assume your opinion in objective and the other guy's is not, is shifty talk.

I don't think Roogsy was talking about subjective vs. objective opinion, but more informed vs. uninformed opinion. Hence his reference to football analysts - who are generally knowedgeable "experts" (of varying degrees) in football strategy - and how they have praissed the skills of players like Robbo and Ricketts.

- Scott

ua-kozak_TFC
12-14-2008, 06:50 PM
just a rant.....

I agree with you in that everyone has adiffferent and very subjective view although it may seem to us as objective...
And yes being a fan and being biased go hand in hand... i can;t denie that. but being biased toward a Team and what it symbolizes. And being biased toward every player on the team just because they wear the jersey are complete and totally distinct things... I would consider a fan the first one.
I understand being biased about dichio since he single handedly brought us more joy than all of those players combined. or being biased to brenan since he was the first player and gives his heart to the team... but yea sometimes
Many countries in the world. they will die for their team, yet they will be extremely critical of every new player untill they earn the fans respect...I think we are still in the honey moon stage since respect has a default nature. And MANY on this board idolized the likes of robert, rickets, guevara, etc even before they played a single game for TFC...

ua-kozak_TFC
12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I guess this is the difference between you, a spectator, and those that analyze the game for a living and know a whole lot more than you or I do.

You bust down Edu, Robbo and Ricketts...and yet almost unanimously, analysts have touted these as being some of the best players TFC has produced in it's short history. Robbo is universally praised for what he does and yet you don't like him.

Either you are incredibly right, or horribly wrong. Unfortunately, I am in the camp that thinks you don't know what you're talking about my man.

I can denie that... I have no proove of how much i know, i haven;t been a professional soccer player, i am only a random fan who has watched a lot of soccer. But so do a lot of people...Also analyst are just people like we are and eeryone makes mistakes, proffesionals are under the same social pressure as we are... but sometimes i tend not to trust North American analyst... due to their lack of exposure to soccer... You must admit there aren;t really "good" analyst and role models of in soccer media in north america

but i will tell you this, Trust me my friend... if Robbo or Rickets were as good as the analyst claim. Robbo wouldn;t have resigned with TFC... he would have probably gotten snatched and went to europe, like did Donovan, who although many people don;t like him on this board you must admit the guy was pretty good. Or in the case of rickets if Seattle felt that rickets was worth 250k they would ahve taken him in a heart beat...

I am not trying to say that rickets or robbo are the worst players ever, or that i am better than them. i am just saying that they might be over hyped Although i think robbo not so much since he did improove alot towards the end of the season....but yea

anyway this has been a long rant. Please i hope no body gets offended or anything i am just saying what i feel, and base my dessision solely on what i see on the field, or atleast that;s what i think....

Beach_Red
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM
but i will tell you this, Trust me my friend... if Robbo or Rickets were as good as the analyst claim. Robbo wouldn;t have resigned with TFC... he would have probably gotten snatched and went to europe, like did Donovan, who although many people don;t like him on this board you must admit the guy was pretty good. Or in the case of rickets if Seattle felt that rickets was worth 250k they would ahve taken him in a heart beat...

Yes, if Seattle had the cap space. It's going to be interesting to watch Seattle. Was their first signing a DP? Managing the crazy roster rules of this league seems to be just as - or more - important than scouting.

And you're right about Robbo and Ricketts, and really every other player in the league - I think when you hear TV analysts praise the players here you have to accept the unsaid words are always, "in this league." The analysts know where this legues figures in the world right now.

But the league is on the way up, for sure, and everything about it will get better.

Marco2K
12-14-2008, 07:40 PM
haha Mo Johnston needs to be charged! Edu, then the O'Brien/Barrett trade, and now DeRo

The man keeps proving me wrong time and time again.

P.S. It was 5 million to the Rangers and we get 2/3's of that

well said.

Im not a big Mo supporter but he has robbed quite afew teams.