PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Dobson on the De Ro Trade

James17930
12-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Some interesting tidbits here:

"While Julius James was a high draft choice and might still be useful, the Toronto brass came to the conclusion this season that he was never going to be another Maurice Edu in terms of his talent. That might have been a big ask to begin with. But he was raw as a footballer, and in my opinion there were signs off the pitch that perhaps he thought he was much better than he really was. That's always a red flag."

And:

"And the money they gave up? No problem. Toronto has boatloads of allocation dollars any ways, nearly a million bucks still, after this deal."

Read on!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/12/dobson_a_steal_for_tfc/

tfc
12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
This is the best quote for me: "Just wait until Mo Johnston's next big splash."

HMMMMMMM.

Nuvinho
12-12-2008, 10:14 PM
a lot of the deals are pre-done, just waiting for league approval and re-negotiation of contracts.

I think Dobs knows something is up, and probably won't be announced til Jan or Feb, when the transfer window in Europe is open.

Redcoe15
12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Now sportsnet's Ryan Johnston gives his take on the DeRo trade (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/12/johnston_stocking_stuffer/).

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-12-2008, 11:15 PM
DeRo is 30 which might be the downside of this deal...but its worth the risk for a team trying to make major improvements over the last 2 seasons.

CretanBull
12-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Adding a 30 year old who's consistantly been an All-Star and is a regular on our national team isn't a risk by any definition of the word. He's by far our best player, and one of the top 10 players in the league. I wish we'd take more "risks" like this!

Beach_Red
12-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Adding a 30 year old who's consistantly been an All-Star and is a regular on our national team isn't a risk by any definition of the word. He's by far our best player, and one of the top 10 players in the league. I wish we'd take more "risks" like this!

Me too. I remember when I watched Robert play his first game at BMO last year I thought it would be a great year. Then he just didn't want to be here anymore. Well, we know that won't happen with Dero, and that's huge in the MLS.

rocker
12-12-2008, 11:56 PM
even De Ro on his downside is better than most guys... Julius James will never even get to the level of Dwayne when Dwayne is 35.

the other thing is, we shouldn't be lookin toooo far ahead now. We've had two shit seasons, the core of the team is in place. Now it's time to start kickin some ass. a 30 year old former MVP will help big time. If De Ro is still with the team in 4 years, great... but all i care about is next season now that we're going into year 3.

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 12:37 AM
People are obessed with age, but the reality is that the MLS isn't like Europe where being young, fast, atheletic etc. are essential.

Look at the history of MVPs in this league:

1996 - Carlos Valderrama - age 36
1997 - Preki - age 34
1998 - Marco Etcheverry - age 28
1999 - Jason Kreis - age 24
2000 - Tony Meola - age 31
2001 - Alex Pineda Chacón - age 32
2002 - Carlos Ruíz - age 23
2003 - Preki - age 40
2004 - Amado Guevara - age 28
2005 - Taylor Twellman - age 25
2006 - Christian Gómez - age 32
2007 - Luciano Emilio - age 28
2008 - Guillermo Barros Schelotto - age 35

In the league's 12 year history the MVP has only been won by a young player 3 times, the other 9 times it's gone to a player who's 28 or older.

The average age for MVP is 33 years old.

Strikers
12-13-2008, 03:26 AM

HMMMMMMM.

This quote by Gerry has also got me super excited :D

Smuttynose
12-13-2008, 04:03 AM
People are obessed with age, but the reality is that the MLS isn't like Europe where being young, fast, atheletic etc. are essential.

Look at the history of MVPs in this league:

1996 - Carlos Valderrama - age 36
1997 - Preki - age 34
1998 - Marco Etcheverry - age 28
1999 - Jason Kreis - age 24
2000 - Tony Meola - age 31
2001 - Alex Pineda Chacón - age 32
2002 - Carlos Ruíz - age 23
2003 - Preki - age 40
2004 - Amado Guevara - age 28
2005 - Taylor Twellman - age 25
2006 - Christian Gómez - age 32
2007 - Luciano Emilio - age 28
2008 - Guillermo Barros Schelotto - age 35

In the league's 12 year history the MVP has only been won by a young player 3 times, the other 9 times it's gone to a player who's 28 or older.

The average age for MVP is 33 years old.

interesting info... thanks for digging that up!

TFCREDNWHITE
12-13-2008, 08:20 AM

HMMMMMMM.

HOLY CRAP!! I'm getting excited big time!! Dobson knows something we don't!!!!! I hope its Micheal Owen!!!

TFC_Toon
12-13-2008, 10:21 AM
HOLY CRAP!! I'm getting excited big time!! Dobson knows something we don't!!!!! I hope its Micheal Owen!!!

Not going to be Owen, I think that's for certain, now Ameobi.... perhaps.
The speculation and anticipation is great fun though isn't it? We have DeRo, now who might the next piece of the puzzle be?

Draracle
12-13-2008, 10:51 AM
I wonder how much of this was DeRo telling his manager he wanted to come to Toronto? It does seem that Houston gave up a sure thing for a high risk player -- not the best plan if you believe you have a good team.

as for DeRo's age; 30 is still prime. There might be as little as 4 good years left in him, but that is a lot of time. And with the right amount of talent in the MLS, there is life past 35.

Carts
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Now sportsnet's Ryan Johnston gives his take on the DeRo trade (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/12/12/johnston_stocking_stuffer/).

Johnston's blog/article is well written...

I love the holiday references (the Red-Rider BB Gun) and the little shot at Burke & the big boys of MLSE (no trade holidays)...

DeRo!

Carts...

Broadview
12-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I wonder how much of this was DeRo telling his manager he wanted to come to Toronto? It does seem that Houston gave up a sure thing for a high risk player -- not the best plan if you believe you have a good team.

From what I read Dero asked to be traded and Toronto was the only option he gave them. So Mo would have had them over a barrell, which seems obvious now.

From the Dynamo's perspective, the deal is all about clearing cap space, so JJ's small salary and the allocation money we handed over isn't all that bad. They have Stuart Holden, their own local boy, ready to step in and there's rumblings they'll sign their own DP. They couldn't do that with Dero on the books.

Carts
12-13-2008, 11:09 AM
From what I read Dero asked to be traded and Toronto was the only option he gave them. So Mo would have had them over a barrell, which seems obvious now.

From the Dynamo's perspective, the deal is all about clearing cap space, so JJ's small salary and the allocation money we handed over isn't all that bad. They have Stuart Holden, their own local boy, ready to step in and there's rumblings they'll sign their own DP. They couldn't do that with Dero on the books.

Bang on...

Yes, we get the "better" of the deal - but as alot of writers have said, DeRo plays best when he's happy, and he wanted to come here...

Plus, if it indeed went down that DeRo asked to be traded to Toronto - its a class move by Houston. DeRo is a local boy who wants to play for his hometown, he's busted his ass for Houston and they return the favour by getting the deal done... Nothing wrong there...

Carts...

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Exactly...Houston didn't trade for James, they traded for cap space and allocation money that will allow them to sign a DP. Having said that, James could easily fit in well in Houston where less will be expected of him and he'll have better team mates on the back line to play with.

adam1001
12-13-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/12/12/toronto_fc_derosario/

"Toronto helped clear some of financial obligations by releasing high-priced Guatemalan forward Carlos Ruiz, acquired in an August deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy. In five games for Toronto, Ruiz did not add to his 82 career MLS goals. His salary for last season was a hefty $460,000."

I guess Ruiz is gone then?

rocker
12-13-2008, 02:39 PM
yes, Ruiz is gone.. unless he wants to come back for peanuts, I guess!

koryo
12-13-2008, 02:42 PM
yes, Ruiz is gone.. unless he wants to come back for peanuts, I guess!

Depends on the peanuts. Honey roasted is too high a price for him.

Cashcleaner
12-13-2008, 02:45 PM

as for DeRo's age; 30 is still prime. There might be as little as 4 good years left in him, but that is a lot of time. And with the right amount of talent in the MLS, there is life past 35.

4 years just might be all that we need to build the league's most competitive roster.

koryo
12-13-2008, 02:46 PM
^^ Four years is plenty of time when you have a player whom you can actually build a winning team around.